ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Need help - About Keski
December 07, 2010 11:49PM
Dear Sadh Sangat Jeo,

Due to Waheguru Ji's kirpa and to some extent due to the inspiration from this forum (and especially Bhai Kulbir Singh Jeo), dass is blessed with the thought of keeping the keski.

However I need your guidance in getting started please, as I do not have any local AKJ person to guide me!
Presently I wear Dastaar (Gurmukhi Dastaara) and would prefer a small keski underneath it.

Please guide me about the following:

What should be the min. length, type of cloth for keski (can we use saropa cloth for the same?)
Do u specifically ask for keski cloth from the shop? or is it a regular cloth?
How to tie it beneath the dastaar? (perhaps a you tube link or something will help!) - I tried tying it, but it always comes loose!
How to take care of it while sleeping, so that it doesn't come off?
Is wearing only keski ok while going certain informal places?

Thank you in advance!

Dass,
-JP
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Need help - About Keski
December 08, 2010 08:24AM
All glory to Guru Sahib! He alone is the Doer.

Vadhaaee to you on deciding to wear a Keski. May Guru Sahib bless you with Sikhi.

What should be the min. length, type of cloth for keski (can we use saropa cloth for the same?)

The minimum length should be long enough so that about 3 laRs of it can go around your head. This translates into about 2.5 to 3 yards.

Do u specifically ask for keski cloth from the shop? or is it a regular cloth?

Keski cloth is same as Dastar cloth. As for the type of Dastar cloth, that depends on your preference. Some like Rubiya while others like Vail. Since you are going to buy cloth for Keski, try buying Basanti colour for your Keskis. Please refer to the following link for more on this subject:

[gurmatbibek.com]

How to tie it beneath the dastaar? (perhaps a you tube link or something will help!) - I tried tying it, but it always comes loose!

It is tied just regularly. There is no technique to it but your Keski will get better with practice.

Some Gursikhs tie their Keski along with their hair and make it into their joora. This way, their keski stays on and never gets separated. If you want to tie your Keski in this way, then it is better that it is less wide and about 5 yards long. Basically, you make your Keski about 50% less wider than regular width and double longer (from 2.5 yards to 5 yards).

If there is a youtube video, someone please post the link.

How to take care of it while sleeping, so that it doesn't come off?

If you tie your Keski with your hair, as suggested in the previous question, your Keski will not come off while sleeping.

Is wearing only keski ok while going certain informal places?

When going out, one should wear a Dastar over the Keski. Doohra Dastara (Keski and Dastar) is what one should wear when going out. But if you are just outside your house and just taking a small walk in front of your house, it should be okay to wear a Keski alone.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
December 08, 2010 09:56AM
I feel like this is something this daas should have already been told but...
When doing sevaa of Sri Guru jee at home (Prakaash, Sukh Aasan, Sehj Paath etc.), does one have to wear proper dastar or is just keski fine in that scenario?
December 08, 2010 10:34AM
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

these are easy and simple...

Waheguru jee...
December 08, 2010 10:35AM
Bhai Bhagatjot Singh Ji,

Since it has been mentioned on previous occassions that a Singh should be tyar bar tyar whilst doing seva of Guroo Sahib (Sukhasan, Parkash, or Sahaj Paath or Haath Likahting Gurbani, you name it), hence daas feels its necessary to have a double dastaar on.

Old posts have mentioned how gursikhs should be in sampooran and sucha bana while doing such seva. I think with being in bana, it means having two dastaars tied. (Gurmukhi Dastaar or Dumalla, that can be a choice of the sevadaar)

Keski is our kakkar, so there should be a fresh and clean dastaar tied on top. In many cases, we need the surface of our dastaar to support guroo sahib's saroops, senchiaan or gurbani angs.

Hence, this is my humble opinion, as it makes sense to have two dastaars on whilst doing such seva.

Guroo Sahib Knows Better

VahegurooJeeKaaKhalsaa VahegurooJeeKeeFatheh
Daas
Tanvir Singh
December 08, 2010 11:03AM
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

How to tie the keski into the kes is shown here
December 08, 2010 07:29PM
ੴਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹ॥

jpsingh77 jio,

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

Congratulations to keep the fifth Kakkar 24/7. Enjoy these videos to learn about tying secure Keski as well as Dumaala. Daas enjoyed the comments by Bhai Sahib Jee. Thanks to Singh/Singhnia who recorded these demo videos.

With Regards,
Daas

December 09, 2010 12:14AM
Thank you Sadh Sangat Jeo for your kind comments and helpful links.

Dass,
JP
February 16, 2011 10:01AM
Khalsa Jee, here is video on how to tie Keski and Dumalla in full accordance with Gurmat.

Please share with your friends, or anyone else who is interested in learning to tie Dumalla or Dastaar.

Many thanks to the Gursikhs who made this video.

February 17, 2011 01:07AM
Thank you, bhai Sahib Ji!
February 17, 2011 04:38AM
[www.youtube.com]

if you skip half way into this video the penje explains and shows u smiling smiley
February 17, 2011 10:44AM
I have a question,

in one of the videos when a dhumalla is tied on the (cute) little kid lol, the penji who ties it uses the bunga as the first keski.

does that mean that the keski you do using your bunga material counts as one keski?
February 17, 2011 11:15AM
Gupt Singho, it seems that the bunga of Kesh should be constructed from the Keski itself, as shown in the video. This does count, and is in effect the Keski itself. This is how I do it at least.

I don't know why that these days most Singhs have separate Bunga for tying Kesh into, and then tie a Keski on top of that, and then Dastaar on top of that?
February 17, 2011 12:39PM
Jaskirat Singh jio,

I understand what you mean. Its just I asked a singh about this and he said to me thats bunga is separate from keski, so does not count confused smiley

perhaps its because of this uncertainty people tie a bunga then do two keskis?

Nihungs use the Bunga as a keski though.
February 17, 2011 01:03PM
No Veerjee, it does count as Keski. Bunga does not need to be separate from Keski or vice versa.

The Dastaar in the video is a tyaar-bar-tyaar Dohraa (Double) Dastaar including Keski (& Bunga in one - perhaps it could be just a little longer to wrap around the head one more time) and Dastaar on top of that. There is no need for an additional Keski.

Anyway jee, the main thing is that Gursikhs are keeping the rehat and tying at least 2 Dastaars with accordance to maryada as shown in the video. Nothing to be confused about whether bunga is Keski or bunga does not qualify as Keski etc smiling smiley
February 17, 2011 02:58PM
Thats fine Veera, thanks for clearing up this confusion.
February 17, 2011 08:53PM
gurmukh sajano

the bungaa piece does count as a keskee, and once u tie that into ur hair, it is considered that u are wearing the kakkar.

the middle dastaar jaskirat singh bhai sahib jee, is to shape out the dumalla and to steady the dastaar up. usually a loose bungaa, tight middle dastaar, and a loose top dastaar is used to shape out dumalla and also be comfortable for hair and ears.

the top dastaar is the final layer used for the larhs, covering ears, etc.

Most singh daas knows (jatha singhs) tie a bunga, middle dastaar (cal it keske if u want) and then a final top dastaar.
that is how daas does it too jeeo.

the main part is to have 2 dastaars, as mentioned earlier, rest, some tie 3 and 4 as well, just depeds on how small or long ur dastaars are and what shape you tie jeeo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login