ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jathedar of Toronto Sarblohi Singhs has done Akaal Chalaana

Posted by admin 
Presented below are some memories about Bhai Sahib and his views on certain subjects like Naam, Gurbani etc. There is no order of the memories and at a later date, some order will be given to all the posts written about Bhai Sahib.

Bhai Sahib’s views on Naam and some Naam-Related Incidents

1. Naam Abhyaas at Amritvela is a must if one wants to rise in spirituality. Bhai Sahib himself for more than 34 years, by the Kirpa of Guru Sahib, maintained a strict Amritvela Naam Abhyaas discipline. At least 2 to 2.5 hours of Naam Abhyaas should be done at Amritvela.

2. Naam Abhyaas done in Sangat is much more rewarding than doing it alone. For this reason, Bhai Sahib always used to encourage Gursikhs to get together at Amritvela and do Naam Abhyaas in Sangati form, using the Saas-Giraas Gurmukhi technique.

3. When Bhai Sahib had taken Amrit, there were Ranglay Sajjan like Bau Mal Singh jee doing sewa in Punj Pyare. Bhai Sahib had Naam drir from Chardi Kala Punj Pyaare. As such, Bhai Sahib’s Naam Abhyaas was so beautiful that it’s beyond words to express. In olden days, his voice was very heavy and his Abhyaas was very loud. There was great clarity in his Abhyaas. He used to do Abhyaas for sometime and then keep quiet for sometime as if relishing the Amrit produced during loud Abhyaas.

(Front-Row: Master Jaswant Singh jee - Extreme left, Jathedar Vedanti jee, Bhai Jasbir Singh jee, Bhai Jagtar Singh jee, and other Gurmukh Pyare from Toronto)

Saas-Giraasi Gurmat Vidhi of Naam Abhyaas

Many people do Saas-Giraasi Abhyaas but don’t know the details of what they are trying to do when doing Abhyaas. Bhai Sahib knew in detail what was involved in the Gurmat Naam Abhyaas Technique. Bhai Sahib used to say that the Punj Pyare now-a-days don’t explain the Gurmat Vidhi in detail and as a result, many Amritdharis even from Jatha don’t do Abhyaas with Pooran Gurmat Vidhi. Some do Abhyaas the Pranayaam way, which is not in accordance to Gurmat.

Once many Gursikhs in which Bhai Jagtar Singh and his companions too were present, started doing Vichaar on Gurmat Vidhi of Naam Abhyaas. Taking lead from Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee’s book a detailed Vichaar was done. It was found out that even though some Gursikhs practice Saas-Giraasi Naam Abhyaas but they do the Abhyaas the Pranayaam way which is not in accordance to Gurmat. The Saas-Giraas Gurmat Naam Abhyaas is not some breathing technique like Pranayaam. It is quite unique and it can be learned only from Guru-roopi Punj Pyare.

During this meeting, while doing Vichaar, Bhai Sahib disclosed a mystical secret on how the Naam-Kanwal blossoms. Bhai Sahib said that the Amrit-Boond (drop) from above (Dasam Duaar) falls on the Naam Kanwal and that’s when it blossoms.

Bhai Sahib's Mystical Experience at Weston Gurdwara Sahib - Early 1980s

Bhai Sahib himself had mystical experiences when doing Abhyaas in Sangati form at Weston Gurdwara Sahib. During the early 1980s, Singhs used to get together and do Abhyaas at Weston Gurdwara Sahib and at these Abhyaas Samagams, Bhai Sahib had mystical experiences that he shared with Bhai Sahib Jeevan Singh jee in order to do Tasdeeq (confirmation) of his experience. Don't know the details of this conversation.

Bhai Sahib's Mystical Experience and my Stupidity - 1994-1995

For a brief period of time in 1993-1995, Singhs used to get together at a house in Malton to do Naam Abhyaas, every Saturday. Bhai Jagtar Singh jee and Bhai Jeevan Singh jee too used to attend this Samagam. This Daas too was fortunate to attend some of these Samagams. I was too naïve back then. After Naam Abhyaas concluded, Bhai Jagtar Singh jee just sat in Samadhi and would not open eyes. I was getting eager to talk to him but he just did not move. I called out to him but he still stayed in Samadhi. I was then stupid enough to start shaking him and trying to wake him up. He still did not open his eyes. I think I again started shaking him up to have him open his eyes. In a short while he opened his eyes and then seriously but not angrily told me that when a Singh is sitting in Dhyaan, he should be left alone.

When I heard this, I childishly started asking him if he was having a spiritual experience. He then advised me not to ask such questions. I kept quiet but this incident stayed with me. Many years later, when I became very close to him, I asked him what spiritual state was he experiencing when I had disturbed him. I asked him this question fearing that he would scold me but he told me without hesitation what he had been experiencing. He mentioned that he did not know what he was experiencing at that time. I hesitatingly asked him what that meant. He did not say too many details but said that there was Jyot (bright light) inside him and he was surrounded by this Jyot as well. He again said that if a Singh is sitting in Dhyaan, he should be left alone. I think if I had pressed for more, he would have relented but out of hesitation, I could not ask him more about this experience.

Shaheed Singhs in Abhyaas

At Tapoban, everyone pretty much sat at the same spots everyday. Bhai Sahib used to sit in the far right corner (from Guru Sahib) and I used to sit on his right side. It’s hard to erase this memory from the mind. The Abhyaas would conclude with a general Fateh by all Sangat. Then when the lights used to go on, the first thing that I used to do is turn my face towards my left side and say Fateh to Bhai Sahib. At that time, Bhai Sahib’s face used to have a very serene and peaceful expression. He used to return the Fateh in a low voice.

Once after Abhyaas, Bhai Sahib asked me why I was making the noise of Karre during Abhyaas. I must have unwittingly played the Karre while doing Abhyaas. Bhai Sahib told me not to do so in the future. I asked him the reason for this. He said that Shaheed Singhs who join Sangat doing Abhyaas, get disturbed by this. He cited an example from Ranglay Sajjan, when a Shaheed Singh engaged in thunderous Naam Abhyaas, getting disturbed when the sound of a Singh’s Karre broke his concentration. The Shaheed Singh became aware of his surroundings and immediately disappeared. I could not muster courage to ask him if such an incident had occurred that day.

"See the Results in just 2 Weeks"

Once I asked Bhai Sahib how soon Vaheguru jee could be attained and how much Naam Abhyaas should be done. Bhai Sahib’s eyes filled with a mixed expression of love, confidence and faith. He said, “do continuous and concentrated 4 hour Abhyaas at Amritvela and then see the results in just 2 weeks”. Only a person who has experienced could have said such a bold statement. I can never forget his eyes and the expression on his face when he said this.

Some Thoughts and Memories on Gurbani Paath

1. Bhai Sahib used to say that the minimum Paath that a serious Gursikh should do is at least Siri Sukhmani Sahib, Siri Asa kee Vaar, Siri Ramkali kee Vaar and 5 Angs of Sehaj Paath on top of the regular 7 Baani Nitnem.

2. Bhai Sahib used to recommend Siri Sukhmani Sahib very strongly and God knows how many Paaths he used to do but his bare-minimum was at least 2 Siri Sukhmani Sahibs a day that he did his entire Amritdhari life. This in itself is a great achievement.

3. Once he mentioned at Weston Gurdwara Sahib that he goes for a long walk once a day. I asked him how long his walk was and he replied saying that he did not know how much distance he covered but that he started his walk with one Siri Sukhmani Sahib and started walking back at the conclusion of the Paath. On his way back he used to do the second Siri Sukhmani Sahib.

4. Once Bhai Sahib mentioned that when doing Prakash of Guru Sahib, he did Basant ki Vaar Paaths.

5. Bhai Sahib always kept a Sehaj Paath going.

Wearing Gurmukhi Baana and keeping Shasters Visible in Sangat

About coming to Darbar Sahib (Guru Sahib’s Darbar), Bhai Sahib used to say that one must come in Gurmukhi Baana and his Shasters (Siri Sahib) must be visible to Guru Sahib. So if a person is wearing a Loyee (Kambal) the front of the loyee should be kept open when doing Matha-Tek and also when doing Kirtan. The front of the Loyee should be open so that the Shasters are visible to Guru Sahib. This thing Bhai Sahib himself told me when I asked him about why the Loyee should be kept open from the front, when doing Kirtan.

More memories to come, as they flash in the mind.

Bhul Chuk dee Maafi jee.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
thanks for sharing veerjee...

one small note: in the above photo, the far left singh is not master niranjan singh jee, it's master jaswant singh jee.

smiling smiley
Absolutely correct. Thanks for pointing it out Bhain jee. It was a typo and has been corrected.

Kulbir Singh
I m very much curious that what was the condition of bhai jagtar Singh Ji before akaal challaana, was he on bed, was he sitting at the time of his last breaths, how was the amritwela he did on last day?, any last bachans he shared with sangat before leaving because naam rasiare gursikhs know the time when they have to leave the world.

Any one please share
Bh. Kulbir Singh
1. Bhai Sahib used to say that the minimum Paath that a serious Gursikh should do is at least Siri Sukhmani Sahib, Siri Asa kee Vaar, Siri Ramkali kee Vaar and 5 Angs of Sehaj Paath on top of the regular 7 Baani Nitnem.

Vahiguroo ji!
should we read Sri Asa Ki Vaar as how it comes in DhanSiriGuruGranthJi or the Sri Asa Ki Vaar with the 'chaants' that is sung in keertan roop at amritwela ?

Chota veer
Presented below is my memory related to the 1998 Chicago trip with Bhai Jagtar Singh and other Singhs. The memory is a personal memory (and a funny one too) that won't be incongruous to write here.

Our Trip to Chicago

In 1998, Gursikhs from Toronto went to Chicago to do a Siri Akhand Paath Sahib. The Gursikhs who went there included Bhai Jagtar Singh and this Daas, along with many more Gursikhs from Toronto.

One our way to Chicago, we were fortunate enough to sit just beside Bhai Jagtar Singh jee. We were sitting on a bench seat of the van. I was in the middle, Bhai Sahib was on my right and Shirimati jee was on my left. Our son was in our lap. This was the first time Shirimati jee (my wife) met Bhai Sahib in such detail. Our first son was not one year old yet and Bhai Sahib gave him a lot of love. Bhai Sahib was very fond of kids and because of the love he showered on the kids, kids too used to become very fond of him. For hours Bhai Sahib played with Nihaal Singh.

While travelling to Chicago, at evening time, when it was time to do Siri Rehraas Sahib, Bhai Sahib immediately removed his Dastaar, lar by lar, and then did chin (Teh launi) of his Dastaar the Gurmat way. Then he combed his hair and beard very meticulously ensuring that none of his hair got removed or get damaged, other than normal wear and tear. After that he collected all his hair that had fell on his Hazooriya and placed them in his pocket. This is when I found out that before doing Siri Rehraas Sahib, one should comb his or her hair. In the morning one must comb one’s hair before doing Ardaas for morning Nitnem and Abhyaas.

Beginning of Siri Akhand Paath Sahib

Upon reaching Chicago, Siri Akhand Paath Sahib started at Amritvela and Bhai Sahib stayed in the Akhand Paath Mandal pretty much the whole time. At night, he used to do Bishraam for hardly couple of hours and then again used to come in the Akhand Paath Mandal. Some of the Paathis were a little less fluent than others, and Bhai Sahib helped them out if they got stuck on some Paath.

The first day passed and the second day arrived. Before afternoon, I was talking with this one Singh in the room where we were resting. Kalyug or Maya or call it whatever you want, befell upon us. This Singh and I started pillow-fighting. It must have gone on for perhaps 30 seconds but look at our Kismet that right when we were in action, Bhai Sahib came and caught us. We wished that Earth would crack and let us hide but nothing happened. Bhai Sahib was very upset. He said to us, “Tuhanu Sharam nahi aundi” (don’t you have any shame). He said many other such things. We were very embarrassed and were staring the ground. Then he gave us the Hukam that we were not to eat anything that day. We meekly accepted the verdict and went to Guru Sahib’s room to listen to Paath.

The Hunger-Mice in our stomachs start Dancing

We had only Garam-Jal for breakfast and were already feeling very hungry. We were worried, how we would survive till the end of the day. We were used to having 3 full meals a day and had never fasted or otherwise stayed hungry. By 5pm or so, we were in bad shape. The hunger-mice in our stomachs were causing havoc. Our faces went pale. Shirimati jee was feeling very sorry for us but could not do anything to help us.

Both of us Singhs were now sitting in Maharaj jee’s room and the expression on our faces was so sympathy-invoking that it would have made the Himalayas melt but our Pyare Bhai Sahib jee did not even look at us. He was engrossed in listening to Gurbani. He was Mast in Naam and Gurbani. It was as if he did not remember that we were hungry. He himself hardly ate anything during the whole Samagam and therefore, probably did not realize what was going on in our bodies.

A Ray of Light

Shrimati jee never ate food without first having me eat. That day too, unbeknownst to me, she had not eaten anything since I was hungry. On top of this, she was pregnant with our second child. When I found out that she was hungry, I saw a ray of light for us too. I asked her to talk to Bhai Sahib about the situation that she was hungry and could not eat without first having her husband eat.

She went to talk to Bhai Sahib and informed him about the situation. Bhai Sahib asked her why she was hungry and she told him about her Maryada of not eating without feeding her husband first. She cited an example from the life of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee whereby Mata Kartar Kaur jee (wife of Bhai Sahib) did not used to eat without her husband first eating. Now Bhai Jagtar Singh jee was faced with a dilemma. If he left me hungry, it would also leave Shirimati jee hungry. If he asked her to eat, it would break her Maryada.

Bhai Sahib comes up with the Solution to the Dilemma

It was about 9pm by now. Bhai Sahib came to us and said that because of Shirimati jee, we were going to be saved. He had this very sweet smile on his face while he was talking. His face was radiant and shining because of Gurbani he had listened to. He gave me permission to eat only one Parshada and this too because my wife was hungry. All my hopes of extinguishing my hunger were now destroyed. All those scenes of delicious foods started popping up in my head. Normally I used to eat at least 10-12 Parshaday a day and now I was to eat only 1 Parshada. How would this satisfy me?

My Solution to my Problem

Bhai Sahib did not wait for our reply and went back to Guru Sahib’s room. I then thought that something was better than nothing. The other Singh too resigned to fate. He got his Parshaada first and when I saw the size of the Parshada he got, I was disappointed but then all of sudden, like a lightening, a great idea flashed my mind. I thought to myself, “the condition is to eat one Parshada but there is no restriction on the size of the Parshada.”

I quickly rushed to the kitchen and asked Shirimati jee to make one Parshaada with Aata (flour) of 4 Parshaaday. In other words I asked her to make a Parshaada that’s like an inch thick and as big as it can be (bigger than the Thava if possible). Shirimati jee protested saying that it would be deceiving but Satan had taken over my mind and I said, with a Satanic smile, "everything is fair in love and hunger". grinning smiley I said that I was not breaking any rule but I was just being smart. What could she say? She knew I was desperate.

When the other Singh who had eaten a much smaller Parshada, saw my Parshaada, he got jealous. I would too, if I was in his situation. How could he tolerate me having such good time with that huge Parshaada. I am pretty sure that he went to Bhai Sahib and complained about me. Sooner than later, Bhai Sahib came and saw the Parshaada (which I had eaten almost half of it). When I saw Bhai Sahib looking at the Parshada, I got stuck right there. My hand which was quickly moving towards my mouth with a big morsel, stopped right there and stayed hanging in the air. I did not know what Bhai Sahib was going to say but after being serious for few seconds, he smiled and said that I was a smart guy. I was glad that Bhai Sahib was not upset and that I had fulfilled my hunger too.

We came back after the Samagam and this Samagam became very memorable for me. It brought me closer to Bhai Sahib and on our way, Bhai Sahib answered our many Gurmat related questions. Bhai Sahib showered immeasurable love while talking. Soon after this incident, we started doing Santhiya that brought us very close to each other.

More memories to come as they flash in the mind.

Bhul Chuk dee Maafi jee.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Kulbir Singh
My hand which was quickly moving towards my mouth with a big morsel, stopped right there and stayed hanging in the air.

Hahahahahaha! Comedy gold!
Vahiguroo ji!sad smiley
should we read Sri Asa Ki Vaar as how it comes in DhanSiriGuruGranthJi or the Sri Asa Ki Vaar with the 'chaants' that is sung in keertan roop at amritwela ?

Chota veer
Sorry for the late response Chatrik jeeo. For many years, early in my Amritdhari life, I always used to read Siri Asa kee Vaar as written in Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee and used to read Chhants separately. But then after noticing that pretty much all Gursikhs I did Sangat with, used to do Siri Asa kee Vaar the Kirtan way i.e. by mixing Chhants in the Vaar, I too started doing Siri Asa kee Vaar paath, the Kirtan way.

I guess, since this tradition of mixing Chhants with the Vaar has been going on since Siri Guru Arjun Dev jee Maharaj, there is nothing wrong in doing this Paath this way. By the same token, it can't be wrong to do Siri Asa kee Vaar and Chhants separately (when doing Paath). But when doing Kirtan of Siri Asa kee Vaar, we must mix Chhants with the Vaar.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Bairaag - Jail Chithiaan and Ranglay Sajjan

Bhai Jagtar Singh jee was of the firm opinion to keep the spiritual bliss within and not let it out and for the most part he kept his Bairaag and spiritual bliss within but sometimes it can be unbearable. Once Bhai Jagtar Singh jee mentioned that he had read Jail Chithiaan many times but had never been able to read the part of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee’s meeting with Mata Ghulab Kaur without bursting in Bairaag. This Daas personally has experienced just this. When reading few pages before the part of Mata Ghulab Kaur jeee, it has never been possible to read about Mata Ghulab Kaur without Bairaag.

That scene when Mata jee removed her Kambal and offered it to Bhai Sahib for sitting and Bhai Sahib begging her not to do so as he would not be able to sustain so much Kirpa, is a very moving scene. When Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee started walking towards Mata jee, she had her back towards Bhai Sahib and she never used to let anyone come near her but for Bhai Sahib, she turned and said Fateh to him. Bhai Sahib immediately moved forward and fell at her Charan. I mean the whole prasang is just unbearable and Bhai Jagtar Singh and this Daas always felt that Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee wrote this part of Jail Chithiaan while in full Bairaag. That's why the reader cannot read it without Bairaag.

Similar to Mata Ghulab Kaur jee’s prasang in Jail Chithiaan, prasangs of Bibi Joginder Kaur and Bhai Gurdeep Singh (Burma) in Ranglay Sajjan are not possible to read without Bairaag. Many years ago, Jail Chithiaan and Ranglay Sajjan were read by Gursikhs in Sangat form and indeed when these above stated prasangs were read, Bhai Sahib’s beard and face were wet with tears.

Bhai Sahib used to say that reading the first 90 pages of Jail Chithiaan are very important and they contain the formula of meeting with Vaheguru and this formula can be used by any Gursikh at any time to have Darshan of Vaheguru jee.

Bairaag – Siri Akhand Paath Sahib Raul

Bhai Sahib rarely used to do Raul in Siri Akhand Paath Sahib and in his later years, he stopped doing Raul Sewa altogether. He used to spend hours and hours listening to paath but did not do Rauls himself. While listening to Paath many times he used to keep quiet if the Paathi made a minor paath-related mistake but if the mistake was severe, then he used to intervene and correct the paath.

During the early 2000s, a Siri Akhand Paath Sahib was organized by Singhs at our home. Fortunately, in that Paath, Bhai Sahib did the sewa of Raul. I still remember that he did Paath of last part of Raag Gauri. I particularly remember that after the two Vaars of Raag Gauri, while doing Bhagat Baani, Bhai Sahib’s voice became extremely Bairagmai. He was doing paath very slowly. It’s a well known fact that Bhagat Baani is Mehngi Baani (difficult) but if we understand it, we realize how Bairagmai it is. Bhai Sahib was very fond of Bhagat Kabir jee’s baani because it contains such raw Bairaag.

When the Paath reached Ang 336, Bhai Sahib was doing Paath with a lot of Bairag but little did we realize what was coming soon. When Bhai Sahib read the following Pankiti, he exploded in Bairaag:

ਕਹੈ ਕਬੀਰੁ ਮਦਨ ਕੇ ਮਾਤੇ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਦੇਖੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੀ ॥ ਤੁਮ ਘਰਿ ਲਾਖ ਕੋਟਿ ਅਸ੍ਵ ਹਸਤੀ ਹਮ ਘਰਿ ਏਕੁ ਮੁਰਾਰੀ ॥੪॥੧॥੭॥੫੮॥

It is hard to imitate how he cried out but it was a loud cry. When he said “ਹਮ ਘਰਿ ਏਕੁ ਮੁਰਾਰੀ”, he could sustain no more. Thereon Bhai Sahib did Paath in such Bairag that Bairaag surrounded the whole Mandal. The atmosphere around the Paath Mandal became heavenly. The ones sitting listening to Paath too were overwhelmed with Bairaag. It is a memory that has never left me.

Siri Jap jee Sahib and Ridhi Sidhi

Bhai Sahib was of the opinion that indulging in Ridhi-Sidhis is a big hurdle in spiritual progress and at the same time he also believed that a Singh who follows Gurmat including the Rehit Bibek, is saved by Guru Sahib from this very difficult phase of spirituality. I still remember this incident from the 1990s when an Abhyaasi Singh, asked Bhai Sahib, in the parking lot of Weston Gurdwara Sahib, about the hurdles related to Ridhi-Sidhis, Bhai Sahib jumped over a water pothole and remarked that Rehitvaan Singh cross this hurdle as easily as this (as Bhai Sahib jumped over the water pothole). He said that Guru Sahib saves His Rehitvaan Gurmukhs from getting stuck in this major spiritual hurdle. Many other Abhyaasis who are not humble Gursikhs (Humble Gursikhs are ones who obey Guru Sahib and keep Rehit) often get lot of Ridhi-Sidhis and by indulging in them, waste their spiritual earnings.

Bhai Sahib once mentioned that if a person does Paaths of Siri Jap jee Sahib with concentration, Ridhi-Sidhis come very quickly. I asked him to elaborate and he mentioned that when he first started walking towards Sikhi, he started doing 10 Paaths of Siri Jap jee Sahib a day with full concentration. Within days, Bhai Sahib started experiencing Ridhi-Sidhis that surprised him beyond belief. He quoted couple of examples of what he experienced. One of his acquaintances was expecting a child. Bhai Sahib explicitly saw the scene of a male child being born to them and within days the couple had the child that Bhai Sahib had a vision of, days earlier. Bhai Sahib had seen a vision of the exact same child, before he was even born.

The Tatt Gurmat earnings start getting deposited in a seeker’s account only when the seeker is a candidate of Parmarath (true spirituality). If a person is not an Amritdhari and is not a true seeker of Vaheguru, then his spiritual earnings (resulting from Gurbani Paath) are spent on fulfilling his worldly wishes and any excess earnings result in Ridhi-Sidhis. On the other hand, Gurmukhs who are true seekers of Vaheguru, have their spiritual earnings of Naam and Gurbani spent towards getting the true Parmarath. Their worldly wishes too are taken care of, by Vaheguru, and they don’t even have to think about them. Their needs are fulfilled before they get a chance to even think about them. They are saved from low-level Ridhi Sidhis and when they attain their spiritual destination, then the real Gurmat oriented Ridhi Sidhis or what you can call Akali Shaktis are given to them by Guru Sahib. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee has mentioned these Akali Shaktis in the tract Amrit kee hai. These Akali Shaktis are superior to and different from the low level Ridhis Sidhis that even Yogis or Sufis can have.

Some Eating Habits

Details about Bhai Sahib’s eating habits would be known to his immediate family but here is what I found out casually by doing his Sangat:

1. Bhai Sahib did not eat much. He ate very simple food. He had risen above the tastes of food.

2. Bhai Sahib was used to consuming a lot of Gheo as part of his diet.

3. He used to drink hot milk with gheo in it everyday and used to comment that he could not do Abhyaas without drinking this gheo-wala dudh.

4. Normally Bhai Sahib did not used to go to a doctor but once in the 1990s, he went to a doctor who advised him to not consume Gheo as it would result in increasing his cholesterol levels. Bhai Sahib stopped consuming gheo as per his doctor’s advice. Within few weeks, Bhai Sahib noticed that his knees and other joints started aching. He started feeling tired all the time and his Abhyaas too took a toll i.e. he could not do Abhyaas loudly as he was used to doing it. Sooner than later he realized that not eating gheo had caused this. He started consuming gheo again and within days, his joints and knees stopped aching and he was back to normal again.

5. Bhai Sahib liked the Bhoora-choora (the small residues) of Pakaude very much.

6. Bhai Sahib was quite fond of Ghulab Jamun but the way he ate them was very strange. It was witnessed many times that he used to mix Ghulab-Jamun with Saag or other Sabzee. I used to have this “eeow” expression on my face and he used to smile and say that in his stomach too, they are going to mix anyway, so why not mix them outside.

7. Bhai Sahib used to avoid my favourite daal – Maah-chholay. It used to cause him baae.

Bhul Chuk dee Maafi jee.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
VaahegurooJeeKaaKhaalsaa! VaahegurooJeeKeeFateh!

Some videos and photos from the Divas Suhela keertan program and Bhai Sahib's Antim Ardaas at Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib can be seen here: [akhandkirtanijatha.org]

I wish daas could have attended. It looks like a smaagam from puraatan times!

VaahegurooJeeKaaKhaalsaa! VaahegurooJeeKeeFateh!
Tarnveer Singh
Sacramento, California
Tarnveer Singh Ji, thanks for sharing. Bhai Jaswant Singh Ji has a lovely voice - rare to find these days!sad smiley
With respect to the last post by this Daas, under this thread, following query was raised by a Gursikh, in private email. With his permission, the query is listed below:

Bhai Sahib; does that mean they used to drink this before Amrit vela Naam Abhiyaas? Because i have the problem of dry throat and mouth whilst doing Naam Abhiyaas. I have tried different tooth pastes, but no difference. I have always wondered if it would be deemed acceptable to lubricate throat and mouth with milk and honey or something along those lines before starting Naam Abhyaas. I honestly find it so much more satisfying doing Naam Abhiyaas loudly and be lost in the Dhun, it may take a few lifetimes for me to progress from that point. Every bit helps........

Bhai Sahib once mentioned that before coming to Abhyaas (at Gurdwara Sahib) he used to drink hot milk with gheo in it. I am not sure if this was his permanent habit or not.

He used to do his Nitnem before coming to Abhyaas and this is why he was able to drink milk with gheo. In case, one has not done one's Nitnem, it's not appropriate to consume milk until the Nitnem is done.

If you have dry throat, then it's a good idea to consume hot milk with gheo in it.

Bhul chuk dee maafi jee.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
It has being 2 years now since the Akaal Chalanaa of Bhaee Jagtar Singh jee.

I know many on the forum and readers have much memories and stories, Please do post a few in yaad of a inspiring Gursikh
JASJIT SINGH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ੴਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ
> ਫ਼ਤਹ॥
> ਦਾਸ ਦਾ ਇੱਕ
> ਗੁੱਝਾ ਜਿਹਾ ਸਵਾਲ
> ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਦੇ ਇਕ ਅੱਖਰ
> ਪ੍ਰਤੀ ਸੀ ਜੋ ਦਾਸ ਨੇ
> ਭਾਈ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅੱਗੇ ਵੀ
> ਰੱਖ ਦਿੱਤਾ। ਇਸਦੇ
> ਜਵਾਬ ਬਾਰੇ ਕੁਝ
> ਸ਼ੰਕਾ ਵੀ ਮਨ ਵਿਚ ਸੀ
> ਪਰ ਭਾਈ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਕੋਲੋਂ
> ਜਵਾਬ ਸੁਣ ਕੇ
> ਂਿਨਵਿਰਤੀ ਹੋ ਗਈ।
> ਹੋਰ ਵੀ ਕਾਫੀ
> ਲਾਭਦਾਇਕ ਵਿਚਾਰਾਂ
> ਹੋਈਆਂ।
>
>
> ਗੁਰੂ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਦੇ
> ਭੌਰਿਆਂ ਦਾ ਦਾਸ,
> ਜਸਜੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ

Bhai Sahib jee can you please share this WORD and the Shanka and the reply you get from Bhai Sahib jee! It would be great to learn and would be really beneficial for us all.
Kulbir Singh Wrote:

> 3. He used to drink hot milk with gheo in it
> everyday and used to comment that he could not do
> Abhyaas without drinking this gheo-wala dudh.
>

Kulbir Singh Jee, how did Bhai Jagtar Singh Jee prepare the milk? how much Gheo did he add to the milk and did he add any sugar or anything else in it?

From Tapoban poster

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਾਕੇਮੁਖਉਜਲੇਗੁਰਸਬਦੀਬੀਚਾਰਿ ॥

I urge Sangee's of Bhai Sahib to write something here or on another site for the benefit of Sangataan.

Kulbir Singh Jee, how did Bhai Jagtar Singh Jee prepare the milk? how much Gheo did he add to the milk and did he add any sugar or anything else in it?

I am not sure of the details as to how he prepared milk and how much sugar or gheo he added to it. He mentioned that in his early age he was able to drink even Baata of gheo but I am not sure how much gheo or sugar he consumed towards his last years. He mentioned that drinking hot gheo wala dudh (milk) helped him in Abhyaas in the morning.

Kulbir Singh
Did he ever narrate any gurmat veechar he had with Bhai Mall Singh Jee(Bhau Mall) ? or more of his experience of his sangat with him?

Chota veer
Did Bhai Jagtar Singh Jee ever meet Subedar Baghel Singh Jee?
I don't think Bhai Jagtar Singh jee personally met with Subedar Baghel Singh jee or at least I am not aware of their relationship. Regarding Bhai Sahib's meeting with Bau Mal Singh jee, I have written about it in one of the stories under this thread. That's all I know.

Kulbir Singh

Bhai Sahib jee can you please share this WORD and the Shanka and the reply you get from Bhai Sahib jee! It would be great to learn and would be really beneficial for us all.

Bhagwan gill jio,

The word Dass discussed with Bhai Jagtaar Singh jee was from tuk:

ਗਜ ਸਾਢੇ ਤੈ ਤੈ ਧੋਤੀਆ ਤਿਹਰੇ ਪਾਇਨਿ ਤਗ ॥ (ਪੰਨਾ ੪੭੬)

I asked him if the word ਤੈ ਤੈ should be pronunced with rarra. Upon hearing this question first Bhai Sahib enquired about my intention for this question why I am asking, his main reason for asking me was that whether I want to open a debate or I am a genuine learner. I humbly explanied my reason and upon hearing geniune concern Bhai Sahib did short vichaar and also discussed Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Jee’s quote for ਤੈ word in Mudavani of Sorth dee Vaar. After this vichaar Bhai Jagtaar Singh Jee asked this Daas to pronounce with raara which Daas follows now.

With Regards,
Jasjit Singh
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
Veer Kulbir Singh Ji, could you please explain dhil and the following,"ਹਮ ਘਰਿ ਏਕੁ ਮੁਰਾਰੀ”.
Thank-you in advance,
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
JASJIT SINGH Wrote:
> The word Dass discussed with Bhai Jagtaar Singh
> jee was from tuk:
>
> ਗਜ ਸਾਢੇ ਤੈ ਤੈ ਧੋਤੀਆ
> ਤਿਹਰੇ ਪਾਇਨਿ ਤਗ ॥
> (ਪੰਨਾ ੪੭੬)
>
> With Regards,
> Jasjit Singh

Bhai Sahib jee, should it be ਤ੍ਰੈ instead of ਤੈ ਤੈ or ਤ੍ਰੈ ਤ੍ਰੈ? pronounce it for once?
It doesn't seems fair if one is using raara in foot and pronounce it double as well i.e.ਤ੍ਰੈ ਤ੍ਰੈ.

And as much I understood it should be pronounced as ਤ੍ਰੈ for once or ਤੈ with extended loud. ਤੈਤੈ as one word not two!
Did Bhai Jagtar Singh Jee ever express his views on Amritvela? if so please share
rsingh jee, his views on Naam and Amritvela are listed in my posts under this thread. Please read them all carefully.

Kulbir Singh
Could someone please reply to my post about dhil and meaning of Guru Shabad that made Bhai Sahib Ji cry, please?
What "dhil" are you talking about Bhain jeeo?

Kulbir Singh
You had mentioned that due to the presence of dhil Bhai Sahib Ji did not eat at your home during his first visit?
bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

You had mentioned that due to the presence of dhil Bhai Sahib Ji did not eat at your home during his first visit?

In those days, our Bibek was not up the the par with Singhs like Bhai Jagtar Singh jee. We used to eat only from Amritdharis for the most part but in some cases, we used to eat from couple of our relatives who were Amritdhari but did not follow the Rehit of Keski as Kakaar. Furthermore, they used to eat from non-Amritdharis and such Amritdharis who don't follow full Rehit. Bhai Sahib explained to us that it is not enough to just eat from Amritdharis only but we must ensure that our Roti-Beti di Saanjh is with only Tyaar-Bar-Tyaar Amritdhari i.e. Amritdharis who strive to keep full Rehit of Siri Guru Dasmesh jee and not pick bits and pieces out of it.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login