ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jathedar of Toronto Sarblohi Singhs has done Akaal Chalaana

Posted by admin 
WaaheGuru.... After hearing the wonderful stories of BHai Sahib, I feel I have such poor fortune of not having darshan of such a Gurmukh. Veer Kulbir SIngh Ji you were wise in taking BHai Sahibs advice. Time spent around Gurmukhs who jap naam and encourage others to Jaap Naam is the most fruitful time; no job or money can match it.

ਬੋਲਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਫਲ ਸਾ ਘਰੀ ॥
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Learning Gurmat Bibek in Sangat of Gurmukhs

In the late 1990s, Gursikhs along with Bhai Jagtar Singh jee got together and read Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee’s article on Sarbloh. This article appears towards the end of Bhai Sahib’s book - Gurmat Bibek. Along with this we read the pamphlet written by Bhai Kaur Singh, on this subject. These articles were read in Sangat form and it had a profound effect on everyone. Everyone present there seriously started thinking of keeping full Sarbloh Bibek.

From books one can grasp the overall idea of Gurmat but Gurmat in detail is learned only in the Sangat of Gurmukhs. This is why doing Sangat is indispensable as far as spiritual growth is concerned. From books one can understand what dietary Bibek is but the details on how to implement Bibek is learned only in Sangat. As an example, how the Sudhaayee (cleaning) of utensils, counters, stoves etc. should be done when cooking Langar can be efficiently learned in Sangat only. The ones who keep Bibek without guidance from senior Gursikhs, often omit many important steps while cooking Bibeki Langar or Degh. This is why it is essential to practically learn the implementation of Bibek from senior Gursikhs who have been practicing it for years.

Before reading the articles stated above, many of us kept Bibek (not Sarbloh yet) but there were so many flaws in our implementation of Bibek that it is horrible to imagine at this time. By the extremely kind mercy of Guru Sahib, we were blessed with Sangat of Bhai Sahib Jagtar Singh jee who meticulously led our way as far as keeping Gurmat Bibek is concerned. We learned many subtle features of Gurmat Bibek that we could have never learned on our own.

How Bhai Sahib ate at our Home

One day many Gursikhs including Bhai Jagtar Singh jee blessed our home with their Charan dhoor. We were under the impression that we were pure Bibekis and as such prepared Samundar (hot milk) and snacks for Singhs. All Gursikhs consumed the Langar we prepared but Bhai Sahib came to kitchen and very lovingly asked Shrimati jee (my wife) some Gurmat related questions. It so happened that we were not up to the par as far as lofty standards of Gurmat were concerned. Bhai Sahib did not eat anything that day. The dhil (weakness) was big and clearing the dhil was very difficult because it had implications that went beyond us. In spite of the difficulty in clearing the dhil, Shrimati jee, there and then promised that she would clear the dhil, whatever the consequences would be but Bhai Sahib still did not eat that day and said that if the dhil got cleared, he would consume the next time.

Shrimati jee took a big step and cleared the dhil. Many near and dear ones were upset but she stayed strong. A very short time later, Bhai Sahib again came to our house along with Singhs and at that point as soon as he entered the house, he went straight to the kitchen and showering love through his eyes and mouth, said to Shrimati jee that he was very hungry and wanted to eat. Shrimati jee was so happy that her feet were not touching the ground. That day, when Bhai Sahib ate at our home it felt even greater than how humble Bhilni would have felt when Siri Raam Chandra ate berries from her hand or Bidar would have felt when Siri Krishna ate his humble Saag rejecting the Kheer of the Kuru prince Duryodhna

Is Brahmgyaan possible without Sarbloh Bibek?

About keeping Sarbloh Bibek, I once spoke to Bhai Jagtar Singh jee, while standing near the entrance of Weston Gurdwara Sahib. The scene is very vivid in my memory and I can still see it at will. I asked him a very direct question – “Is it possible to get Brahmgyaan without Sarbloh?”

His answer was “No”.

In my next question, I named a number of famous Gursikhs who were not Sarblohis but had reached great spiritual Avasthas. At this Bhai Sahib said that there are many spiritual Avastha and one gets the spiritual Avastha in accordance to one’s input. He used a particular Punjabi saying that he used to use a lot of times, “Jinna Mitha paavangay, unna hee Mitha hona hai” (it will be as sweet as much sugar we put in it). What he was trying to say was that the results will be as sweet as our efforts to obey Guru Sahib’s Hukams will be. More effort we put in place to obey Guru Sahib’s Hukams, better the results will be.

Then Bhai Sahib asked me, how did I know what spiritual Avastha the Gurmukhs I named, possessed. I could not say anything since I was not high enough to know anyone’s Avastha. At this Bhai Sahib said that he doesn’t know anything else but the fact that unless we attempt to obey all Hukams of Guru Sahib, we cannot become Brahmgyani. To become a Brahmgyani, all conditions have to be met i.e. perfect Guru, perfect Sikh, Naam, Gurbani, Rehit etc. Nothing can be left out. One cannot intentionally obey one Hukam and leave out the other. Our duty is to keep all Rehit and not judge which Rehit is important and which one is less important. What we need to ponder upon is whether Sarbloh is Guru Sahib's rehit or not. If it is Rehit, then it cannot be omitted. If Sarbloh was not a Rehit, then why did Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee keep it under such difficult conditions? Was he doing all this for his Haume? No. He sustained all hardships because Sarbloh Bibek is Guru Sahib's Hukam. So Rehit includes Sarbloh and it cannot be ommitted if we want to reach the highest spiritual state.

After this conversation with Bhai Sahib, this Daas including his family kept Sarbloh Bibek, with the kind mercy of Guru Sahib. If Daas starts counting all the benefits that Daas has derived from Bhai Sahib's sangat, a huge book would be required. Daas feels extremely lucky to have done Bhai Sahib's Sangat for almost two decades. Verily, Guru Sahib is merciful.

More to come later…

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Vaheguru Vaheguru. How rare are the Gurmukhs like this? So hardcore in Rehat and uncompromising on Gurmat principles but so loving at the same time. Where are they today? I hope I am fortunate enough to have their sangat. Please share as many stories as possible Bhai Sahib.

Dhan Guru Dhan Guru Pyare

(A rare picture of Bhai Sahib wearing a Gol Dastaar)

The Story Behind this Unique Picture of Bhai Jagtar Singh jee

This incident is from the late 1990s. Singhs were sitting in a room of Weston Road Gurdwara Sahib and discussing Gurmat related topics. Couple of Singhs who were over-zealot about wearing only gol (round) Dastara started pestering Bhai Sahib to start wearing a gol Dastaar since there was more Gurmat in doing so.

When they continued cajoling Bhai Sahib, he asked them what would be the benefit of doing so. They replied by saying that all Gurmukhs who have reached the Jyot-Vigaasi Avastha used to wear a gol Dastara. At this Bhai Sahib asked them if they did not consider Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee a Jyot-Vigaasi Gurmukh. They replied that they did consider Bhai Sahib to be a Pooran Gursikh. Then Bhai Sahib replied that Bhai Sahib and most of his companions used to wear a Sidha-Gurmukhi Dastara with Khanda and Chakra adorned on it. If only Gol-Dastara would have been Gurmat, then would Gurmukhs like Bhai Sahib not wear it?

The idea is that so long as the basic conditions e.g. acceptable colour, not sewing the Dastar in the middle, not leaving a laR anywhere on the Dastar etc. are fulfilled, it does not matter whether the Dastara is gol or Sidha Gurmukhi Dastara.

Many years later, in 2004, the question of Bhai Sahib’s Sidha Gurmukhi Dastara was raised again in India, by a whole group of Gursikhs who always wear Gol Dastara. They all started insisting Bhai Sahib to wear a Gol Dastara. Now Bhai Sahib would have had no objection to their request but Bhai Sahib all his life had tried his best to follow the footsteps of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee including his Baana and Dastara style and he wanted to continue doing so. So when this group of Singhs of India insisted, Bhai Sahib could not say no to them but accepted their request on a condition that if wearing a Gol Dastara brings increased Naam related Anand to him, he would adopt the Gol Dastara forever; otherwise, he would revert back to wearing the Sidha Gurmukhi Dastara.

The above picture is from that time when he wore a Gol Dastara at the request of Gursikhs of India. He did not wait but immediately wore a Gol Dastaar. When I saw Bhai Sahib in this form, I thought that he looked a bit dangerous or say a bit tough person. We joked about it with Bhai Sahib. It is a great memory. Then we took this picture of Bhai Sahib and captured this memory for the future.

In any case, Bhai Sahib as promised continued wearing a Gol Dastara for few days and then informed us that since wearing a Gol Dastara did not enhance his Naam related Anand; therefore, he was going to revert back to wearing the Dastara he felt comfortable with. We were really glad with his decision because we loved him the way he was. Bhai Jeevan Singh, Bhai Jagtar Singh, Bhai Atma Singh and all other Gurmukhs of Jatha wore similar kind of Dastara and this is what we like our Bhai Sahib to wear.

The moral of the story is that as long as one wears a Dastaar fulfilling the Gurmat related conditions, it does not matter what shape one is wearing. The question about shape of a Dastaar never arose within the companions of Bhai Sahib and still it can be seen that Bhai Sahib’s companions wear both Gol and Sidhi Gurmukhi Dastaar, interchangeably. The main thing is Naam, Gurbani and Rehit.

Another thing we can learn from this Saakhi is that when Gursikhs ask us to do something, we should not outright reject it and with clean mind try to adopt their advice, even if we don't like it. Bhai Sahib wore Gol Dastara despite his preference for a Sidha Gurmukhi Dastara and this way did not say no to Singhs. This way he kept their Maan and also did not give up his preference of wearing the kind of Dastara that Bhai Sahib's favourite Gurmukh used to wear.

More memories to come; stay tuned…

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
bhai sahib seem like great gurmukh but he was so gupt. please share more such inspiring stories.
His eyes r so beautifull. He looks like a new born baby in the hands of Akal purakh .Not only his dastaara but bhaisahabh himself were also very Sidhe innocent jehe gurmukh piare.
Bhaisahabh Ji would be enjoying with other gurmukh piare in dargah at this time, so lucky he is,
I had been wanting to visit Gurdwara Tapoban Sahib and Toronto Singhs for a long time. It would have been a blessing to have darshan of such a Gursikh.
[www.akhandkirtanijatha.org]
Sangat all over the world has been doing Kirtan Samagams and Ardaas for the Chardi Kala of Bhai Jagtar Singh jee. Bhai Harbhajan Singh jee Shatrana (currently living in Siri Anandpur Sahib) who is one of the Sangi of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee, organized a Kirtan Samagam in memory of Bhai Jagtar Singh jee at Gurdwara Bhora Sahib (Siri Anandpur Sahib) on the evening of September 12, 2010.

At the conclusion of Akhand Kirtan Samagam, Bapu jee (Bhai Harbhajan Singh jee) himself performed the Ardaas and the following Hukamnama Sahib came as a blessing from Guru Sahib:

ਸੋਰਠਿ ਮਹਲਾ 5 ॥
ਆਗੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਮੀਤਾ ॥
ਪਾਛੇ ਆਨਦੁ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਕੀਤਾ ॥
ਪਰਮੇਸੁਰਿ ਬਣਤ ਬਣਾਈ ॥
ਫਿਰਿ ਡੋਲਤ ਕਤਹੂ ਨਾਹੀ ॥1॥
ਸਾਚੇ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਸਿਉ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ॥
ਹਰਿ ਸਰਬ ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ ਜਾਨਿਆ ॥1॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
ਸਭ ਜੀਅ ਤੇਰੇ ਦਇਆਲਾ ॥
ਅਪਨੇ ਭਗਤ ਕਰਹਿ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲਾ ॥
ਅਚਰਜੁ ਤੇਰੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥
ਨਿਤ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਈ ॥2॥23॥87॥

The Hukamnama Sahib tells it all. So Partakh!

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
1)how did Bhai Sahib get into Gursikhi?

2)Did he share any of his experiences with Bhai Bao Mal Singh ji?

3)what did BHai Sahib use to advice the current day young generation?

Chota veer
Bapu harbhajan Singh Ji shatrane wale , is my role model , actually , I have no words !

I can't stop myself while hearing his name on this post. He is one of those puratan singhs who has the utmost qualities of bhai sahibh bhai randhir Singh Ji.
Same thoughts abt "Bapu harbhajan Singh Ji ". I just did his Sangat for a day and a half and was Nihal-Nihal-Nihal.

Bapu Ji confirms/demostrates what a Gursikh should be like, THE SEHAJ avastha Gursikh should remain in. He is just extra ordinary.

Guru Sahib Kirpa Karan - Aise Gursikhaaan di charan Dhuri mildi rahe !!

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
Balihaar veer jeo
Doing Santhiya with Bhai Jagtar Singh was beyond words. It was more of Gurbani Vichaar. In order to place correct Bishraams or required Bindis for nasal sounds, one has to understand Gurbani Pankiti. Many times we used to do Gurbani Vichaar for hours at stretch. We used to apply all principles of Viyakaran and Gurmat Sidhaant to arrive at a conclusion and even then we used to know that Gurbani is much more than what we understood.

(Memorable times after (or before) doing Santhiya)

Starting of Gurbani Santhiya

I had been doing Gurbani Vichaar on my own ever since Guru Sahib blessed me with Gursikhi. From time to time I have had Vichaars with many Gursikhs but the kind of depth that occurred while discussing with Bhai Sahib, did not occur anywhere else.

Even though I had been doing Sangat with Bhai Sahib from early 1990s but I started doing Gurbani Vichaar with him only in the late 1990s. Previously, I tried doing Vichaar with him but he did not encourage it. At one time around 1992-93, I asked his opinion on a very simple Pankiti from Siri Jap jee Sahib but he said that he had no idea what the Pankiti meant. I knew this was not the case. He for sure knew that the Pankiti meant but he kept mute. There could be three reasons for his mute response: either he did not believe in doing Arth of Gurbani or he did not want to discuss it with me or he was in a different state of mind and did not want to discuss at that given time. I believe the reasons were most probably the last 2. After this incident, we never discussed Gurbani Pankitis until the end of 1990s.

Bhai Sahib and some other Singhs planned to do Santhiya at Weston Gurdwara Sahib. I too was invited to the Santhiya by Bhai Sahib but since I had done Siri Jap jee Sahib Santhiya quite a few times, I did not go to the Santhiya the first day. I got a call from Bhai Sahib but I was away from the phone. Bhai Sahib left a message in my voicemail (I think I have this voicemail of Bhai Sahib). The message was from Bhai Sahib and gave me a Hukam on behalf of all Singhs that I was to come to Gurdwara Sahib before noon and leave after Matha-tek, if no Singh is present at that time. I heard the message and obeyed the Hukam.

Bhai Sahib and Singhs come to our home at Amritvela

After the aforementioned incident, I think I went for one weekend and then next week, again I did not go but this time, to my utter surprise, Bhai Sahib and all Singhs came to our house. It was about 5-6am. In those days, our Amritvela used to slip sometimes but thanks Heavens that we had gotten up at Amritvela and were getting ready to go back to sleep. I felt really guilty that Singhs themselves had to travel 40 minutes because I had not shown up at Santhiya. After that day I vowed that Singhs would never have to do this again i.e. I would go to the Santhiya program.

After this incident, our regular Santhiya started which first involved studying Gurbani Viyakaran in detail. Bhai Sahib and I got really close to each other because of hours long Gurbani Vichaar that used to happen every day at work and home, via phone. With discovery and understanding of different Viyakaran rules, we used to go Vismaad. Gurbani is just so beautiful and is like sugar. No matter how and where you place sugar in your mouth, it tastes sweet and good. Same way, no matter how, where, and when you do Gurbani Vichaar, it gives immense Anand and divine wisdom. I am eternally indebted for having done such profound Gurbani Vichaar with Bhai Sahib and together we learned so much Gurbani Gyaan.

One of our most memorable Gurbani Vichaar involved doing Vichaar on Baavan Akhri of Bhagat Kabir jee. Even though this Baani is not very long but it is one of the most complicated and difficult-to-understand Baani. We used to spend anywhere from 1 to 2 hours a day to do in-depth Vichaar on each Pauri of this Baani. I never quite imagined that this Baani was filled with so many spiritual jewels but these jewels are not found when reading shallow translations. One has to himself delve into the ocean of Gurbani to find these spiritual pearls, jewels and diamonds.

Earlier in 2000 or 1999, at the personal request of this Daas, we did separate-from-regular Santhiya of Baavan Akhri, Sidh Goshth and Oankaar Baanis alone. A great deal of in-depth Vichaar was done while studying these Baanis. Those are such memorable days that cannot be erased from the memory at any cost.

Today I don't have anyone with whom I can have in-depth Gurbani Vichaar. Bhai Sahib had the required Gurbani Viyakaran and Gurmat Sidhaant wisdom for interpreting Gurbani. The world seems dark to me as far as scholars with Gurbani Gyaan are concerned. The scholars who have knowledge of Gurbani Viyakaran don't possess the Gurmukhi jeevan and Sidhaant and the ones who have Gurmukhi jeevan and Sidhaant don't have the Gurbani Viyakaran knowledge. Bhai Jagtar Singh jee was a rare jewel who was not only proficient in Gurbani Viyakaran, vocabulary and Gyaan but also had a very lofty Gurmukhi jeevan. Where are we going to find such jewel now...?

The disovery of the following Gurbani Uchaaran law was discovered after in-depth discussions between Bhai Sahib and this Daas:

[gurmatbibek.com]

There is a whole story behind how this rule was discovered. Will post at a later date.

More on Santhiya Vichaars we discussed at a later date.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
smiling smiley
piyasi chatrik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1)how did Bhai Sahib get into Gursikhi?
>
> 2)Did he share any of his experiences with Bhai
> Bao Mal Singh ji?
>
> 3)what did BHai Sahib use to advice the current
> day young generation?

Piyasi chatrik ji, Bhai Sahib loved the singhs who will take the panthic stand above everything else eg. family relationships, friendships. He will say I admire the singh who takes a stand and stick with that stand to the end even if he is not yet that pakka in his rehat. He will say what use of a sarablohi singh who can't take a stand when the panth needs him.

He was the driving force and a divine magnet for all the panthic singhs of the world. He loved the singh who will keep his bachan to the end.
Singh looked upto him for guidance.
A Brief Account of how Bhai Sahib became Amritdhari

Bhai Sahib Jagtar Singh jee was born around 1936 as per the documents but this was not his exact year of birth. In olden days, there was no system of recording accurate time of birth. When Bhai Sahib was still a child, his mother died and he was raised by his father and step-mother. He was raised in a typical Punjabi rural way which involved consuming freeloads of milk and gheo. Even though his height was not that much, his body developed quite strong and sturdy.

Early in his years, he did not have any particular spiritual inclinations other than regular chanting of Mool Mantr and Gurmantr that Punjabi Sikh families teach their kids. Later on, when he came into the world of Gurmat, he developed mountain-faith in Gurbani and Naam but his first experience with the power of Gurbani and Naam was when as a child he felt burden on his chest. His father and others believed it was his mother who had died. They told him to do Mool Mantr or Gurmantr whenever he felt the burden on his chest. He did as told and the burden was lifted from his chest.

He himself did not talk too much about his non-Sikhi life because he believed that his real life started when he took birth in the house of Siri Guru Nanak-Dasmesh jee i.e. when he took Amrit and became a Khalsa. Education-wise, he studied to become a Civil Engineer and later on worked in the Public Works Department (PWD). Later on he took up the position of an Engineer in the Indian Army. Later on, in the early 70s or perhaps later 60s, Bhai Sahib came to Canada. Here, according to his own admission, he made one of the biggest mistakes of his life – he cut his hair.

(Bhai Sahib holding the newborn Bhujangan of Bhai Sukhpal Singh Maliyaan in 2006 or 2007. Notice how much love is showering from Bhai Sahib's countenance)

Shift towards Gursikhi

After he cut his hair, he felt really bad and it seems like this is the time when he started feeling some thirst for spirituality. He read lives of Mahapurakhs like Baba Karam Singh jee Hoti-Mardaan and was deeply affected by the pious and extremely devotional life of Baba jee. He once mentioned that Baba Karam Singh jee had extreme Kamaaee. At one point, the thirst for spirituality came so strongly within him that he thought of finding some Mahapurakh and dedicating his life to spirituality. He heard of a famous Sant and thought of becoming his disciple but was saved from doing so. Later on he jokingly used to remark that if he had committed the mistake of becoming a chela (disciple) of this Sant, he would have been left to wash his Kachherray all life and would have stayed far from Gurmat Naam.

It is said that when the student is ready, the teacher arrives by the work of Providence. Bhai Sahib’s Bairaag was increasing and it is around this time that he met senior Gurmukhs like Professor Udai Singh who used to teach Mathematics at the Sudbury University. Professor Udai Singh gave Bhai Sahib a copy of English version of Jail Chithiaan. Bhai Jagtar Singh jee used to mention that he had never heard about Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee and when he found out that Bhai Sahib jee had gone to jail, he thought that Bhai Sahib must have committed some crime that he had to go to jail. For this reason, he did not even bother to read Jail Chithiaan for quite some time.

Sardar Fulel Singh (father of famous lawyer T. Sher Singh) once asked Bhai Sahib where he was from and when Bhai Sahib mentioned his village in District Ludhiana, that Gurmukh right away said, “haven’t you heard of the very great Mahapurakh of your area – Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee?” It was then that Bhai Sahib was inspired to read Jail Chithiaan and was blown away by the book. He then also read Punjabi (original) version of Jail Chithiaan and his Bairaag for Vaheguru went out of control and he could not wait to attain Vaheguru. Bhai Sahib used to say that he used to think that attaining Vaheguru was a piece of cake i.e. extremely easy but later on when he discovered how hard it is to mend and control the mind, he realized that attaining Vaheguru is purely Gurprasaad.

Meeting Bau Mal Singh jee and becoming Amritdhari

When Bhai Sahib read Jail Chithiaan and other books of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee, he was eager to become Amritdhaari. He went to India in 1976 with the purpose to take Amrit. He met some senior Gurmukhs of Jatha including Bau Mal Singh jee. Bhai Sahib used to narrate a funny story about one of his meetings with Bau Mal Singh jee. Bau jee Sehaj-Subhae (casually) asked Bhai Sahib about his village and family. Upon finding out that Bhai Sahib’s last name was Virk, Bau jee exclaimed, “Oye, Virk taa chor hunde aa” (Oye, Virks are known to be thieves).

Bau jee was from Majha and Virks are originally from Saandalbaar (area around Siri Nanakana Sahib including districts Gujranwala and Sheikhupura, now in Pakistan). Majhails (people of Majha) did not see Virks in good light and it was only with the emergence of Jathedar Kartar Singh Jhabbar that the rivalry between the Virks and Majhaels lessened. After the victory of Nanakana Sahib Gurdwara Sahib from Mahant Narainu, in which the Singhs of that area (who were mostly from Virk background) under the Jathedari of legendary Jathedar Kartar Singh Jhabbar, played a decisive role, one of the first marriage was done between the Majhaels and Virks. Jathedar Teja Singh Samundry asked Jathedar Kartar Singh to suggest a suitable boy for a Dola of Majha. In any case that’s a different story altogether.

Bau Mal Singh jee was very old at that time. He was well into his mid-90s but he was a Rangla Sajjan and one of the most exceptional Gurmukh whom Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee praised while he was alive. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee wrote about Ranglay Sajjan only when they had done Akal Chalaana but for Bau Mal Singh jee he made exceptions and praised him at many places, while he was still alive in this world.

Bhai Jagtar Singh jee while narrating his story of how he became an Amritdhari used to say that he wanted to take Amrit but wanted Bau jee to do sewa in Punj. Normally, a seeker who has not yet taken Amrit has no right to choose the Punj Pyare but Bhai Jagtar Singh jee really begged Bau jee to do sewa in Punj. Bau jee had stopped doing Sewa in Punj, obviously due to his old age but at much insistence from Bhai Sahib, he agreed. So when Bhai Sahib jee took Amrit at Jalandhar Samagam, Bau jee was doing Sewa in Punj Pyare.

More memories as they come, at a later date.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
thumbs up
Great posts bhai sahib. Keep it up.smiling smiley
dhanvaad jeesmiling smiley

4) Did Bhai Sahib ever discussed difficulty he faced on the spiritual path (in life also, if possiblesmiling smiley)? what were they? how did he manage overcome them in accordance to gurmat?

5)Did Bhai Sahib ever discuss on how one can REMAIN humble and meek even while doing bhagti? (as there is always danger of "ego of doing bhagti" kicking in)

Chota veer
Emphasis on Siri Sukhmani Sahib

Bhai Sahib used to greatly emphasize on doing paath of Siri Sukhmani Sahib. Once a Bibi approached Singhs with a problem she was having in her life. After hearing about her problem, Bhai Jagtar Singh jee on behalf of Singhs asked her to do Siri Sukhmani Sahib paath to relieve her problem. She replied by saying that she already does paath of Siri Sukhmani Sahib. Hearing this, Bhai Sahib in disbelief said that if she is doing Siri Sukhmani Sahib paath, then there is no way her problem could stay this long. The problem surely lies in her. Bhai Sahib further said that, if one does Siri Sukhmani Sahib with full concentration and Shardha (faith), problems in the first place should not come at all and even if they do come to fulfill some previous life Karmic debt, they can`t stay for too long. Bhai Sahib advised her to do her Siri Sukhmani Sahib with increased concentration and faith.

Before mid 1990s, I sometimes used to get extreme headaches. At that time the headache used to relieve after taking Aspirin. Later on, I stopped taking medicine and tried to rely solely on Paath. The headaches continued for sometime. At one time I mentioned about headaches to Bhai Sahib and he said that if a Singh fulfills 3 conditions, he can never have headaches. The 3 conditions that Bhai Sahib mentioned were:

1. Do at least one Siri Sukhmani Sahib a day, with full concentration and faith.
2. Keep Sarbloh Bibek.
3. Do full Keshi Ishnaan in the morning with full cold water, at Amritvela. In Canada, cold water means freezing cold water.

Bhai Sahib narrated his own experience with headache and informed us that if the above 3 Rehits are kept, headache cannot occur. Bhai Sahib said that ever since he has kept the above 3 Rehits, headache has left him alone. He stated that a few times, he has had headache even after these Rehits and all he had to do was act in disbelief (how can the headache still come) and do few Ashtpadis of Siri Sukhmani Sahib loudly. The headache runs away as mice run away at sight of a cat.

Following Bhai Sahib`s advice stated above, Gursikhs have been freed of headaches. Have faith!

Bhai Sahib used to mention that Bhai Atma Singh jee had told Bhai Sahib that a Gursikh who does not do Siri Sukhmani Sahib paath everyday cannot be classified as a ``Laadla Singh`` (Loving Singh) of Siri Guru Dasmesh jee. Bhai Atma Singh had also told Bhai Sahib to always read the Mangal first, when doing Siri Sukhmani Sahib.

Sewa wale Bastr

In the early 1990s, this Daas had the fortune of doing Abhyaas with Bhai Jagtar Singh jee at Weston Road Gurdwara Sahib. There was this Singh (who is now a quite Chardi Kala Singh) who used to be very regular in doing Abhyaas with Bhai Sahib. He had taken Amrit recently but had extreme Bairaag for Naam. One day he came late for Abhyaas. Bhai Sahib asked him the reason for his lateness. The Singh replied that he was feeling sick that day. Bhai Sahib said that if such was the case, he should have come to Abhyaas that day, wearing his Sewa-wale Bastr (Baana used for doing Sewa of Guru Sahib and Paath). This Singh had no idea that there was such a thing called Sewa wale Bastr. Apparently these Bastr absorb vibrations of Naam and Gurbani as they are used for Naam and Gurbani Paath everyday and help against fever and disease. This Daas too found out that day that clothes for Maharaj jee`s sewa and Amritvela Naam Abhyaas should be Makhsoos (reserved).

More memories to come, as they flash in Daas` memory.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Pyare Bhai Kulbir Singh can be explain the following quote?

"Loving Singh) of Siri Guru Dasmesh jee. Bhai Atma Singh had also told Bhai Sahib to always read the Mangal first, when doing Siri Sukhmani Sahib."

Whats the mangal that needs to be read first?
thumbs up

Whats the mangal that needs to be read first?

This Daas meant "Ik OankaarSatgurprasaad" should be read in the beginning of the Paath instead of after the Salok (as it is written in error in printed Gutka Sahibaan).

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
A whole new section has been created at the following link, on this site:

Gurmat Literature - Bhai Jagtar Singh jee.
( [www.gurmatbibek.com] )

Stories of personal experiences of different Gursikhs have been posted there. Please check it out and contribute as much as you can.

Admin.
Last year, sometime in august 2009, i got into an argument with family, and in a heated and fumed mood, i decided to leave the house, without realizing, i walked to gurdwara tapoban sahib and reached their around 4 am. i was tired and feeling weird as i had showed up in pant kameez. i went into the darbar and after 5 minutes of abhyaas i fell asleep. Fast asleep. A while later, I saw an eldery person, slap me on the back and he uttered loudly "Abhyaas Karo"

The moment he touched me, all sleep and tiredness was gone and khanda was going like a racing car.

I saw him once again at malton gurdwara sahib, when the committee showed the ludhiana kand documentry.

I found out his name to be Bhai Jagtaar Singh the following days.

I didn't see him again.

Vaheguroooo
I had no relation, no contact, nothing to do with him.

But when a fellow singh gave me this grave news last to last week, tears came flooding out as if a family member had passed away.

Daas,
Tanvir Singh
The following memories may not be connected to Gurmat too much, but I am listing them anyway, as Bhai Sahib's memories are repeatedly coming in my mind and this is my way of paying homage to them.

Some Random Memories

Saade Vedanti jee

In the late 90s when we all started doing Santhiya, Bhai Sahib started calling me “Vedanti jee”. At one time I protested saying that I was dead against the Vedanta school of thought, then how could I be nick-named Vedanti jee. Bhai Sahib was in a very jolly good mood and replied saying that Ved means knowledge and that his interpretation of this word Vedanti was knowledgeable person. Who could speak in front of Bhai Sahib. I meekly accepted the new nickname. So from that day, when ever Bhai Sahib wanted to speak to me in love, he always addressed me as “Saade Vedanti jee”.

Call me Bayee

One day at Weston Gurdwara Sahib, in 2000, Bhai Sahib, after Abhyaas, very seriously requested us to stop calling him "Bhai Sahib" as he did not feel comfortable with it. He said that the title "Bhai Sahib" only suited Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee. I asked him as to what else would we call him then. He suggested that we call him "Baayee" which means brother in Malwa region of Punjab. I protested saying that since I had been calling him Bhai Sahib for almost 10 years, it would be hard for me to switch.

He replied back by saying that, he found it against Gurmat to be called Bhai Sahib. At this I responded by citing a quote from Jail Chithiaan, in which Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee has written that when all Sikh prisoners started doing Gurbani Paath all day long, their hearts became very soft, all enmities vanishied and all Singhs there started addressing each other as "Bhai Sahib". At this wonderful reply that Guru Sahib himself blessed me with, Bhai Sahib kept quiet and did not raise this issue again. We did a sigh of relief.

Using Shayers to Respond to Bhai Sahib

One day (many years ago) I was sick and had high fever and flu. I did not show up to have Darshan of Sangat. I was home resting. I got a call from Bhai Sahib. When I told him that I was sick, he started laughing and said, how did a jackal beat a lion? By jackal he meant fever and by lion he meant a Singh i.e. this Daas. I did not say anything back and then he ordered me to come right away. I was not feeling well but could not say no to Bhai Sahib. When I arrived in Sangat, Bhai Sahib was very pleased and looked at me with his regular sweet love-showering gaze. Then he commented, “tu taa changa bhala hai” (You look just fine i.e. not sick).

When Bhai Sahib said that above Bachan, I immediately shot back with Mirza Ghalib’s famous Shayer:

ਉਨਕੇ ਦੇਖੇ ਸੇ ਜੋ ਆ ਜਾਤੀ ਹੈ ਚੇਹਰੇ ਪੈ ਰੌਨਕ.
ਵੋਹ ਸਮਝਤੇ ਹੈਂ ਕੇ ਬੀਮਾਰ ਕਾ ਹਾਲ ਅਛਾ ਹੈ.
(Punjabi)

उनके देखे से जो आ जाती है चेहरे पे रौनक.
वोह समझते हैं के बीमार का हाल अच्छा है
. (Hindi)
(By looking at their face, a brightness or freshness arrives on my face; and they think that the sick one is feeling better)

Basically what I was trying to say is that the freshness on my face is not because I am not sick but because I had his Darshan. At another occasion, as if it was a premonition, I said to Bhai Sahib, out of nowhere, quoting an old song:

ਹਜ਼ਾਰ ਬਾਤੇਂ ਕਹੇ ਜ਼ਮਾਨਾ, ਤੁਮ ਮੇਰੀ ਵਫ਼ਾ ਪੇ ਯਕੀਨ ਰਖਨਾ.

हज़ार बातें कहे ज़माना, तुम मेरी वफ़ा पे यकीन रखना.

With Bhai Sahib I was comfortable using the most difficult Farsi and Urdu words while conversing because he understood them. Today, with whom am I going to talk in that style? No one.

We will have to come back if we don't complete our Sewa

One day, Bhai Sahib said to me, that we all had been brought together by Guru Sahib to do the Sewa of Gurmat Parchaar. If we don’t succeed in doing it as destined, we all would have to come back again, to complete the Sewa. He further said that in many previous lives, we all had been together.

Bhai Jagtar Singh jee had Darshan of Bhai Sahib and did not have Darshan of Bhai Sahib

Bhai Jagtar Singh jee never had Darshan of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee, in physical form, even though Bhai Jagtar Singh jee lived in the era when Bhai Sahib too was alive physically in this world. Bhai Jagtar Singh jee regretted this very much and wished that he had woken up to Sikhi, when Bhai Sahib was here physically. Having said that, Bhai Sahib did used to mention that when he was studying or when he used to travel to Ludhiana, there used to be a Tejasvee Gurmukh sitting on a chair in a park in Model Town, whom he now suspected to be none other than Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee. Then he used to comment that it is quite possible that Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee had gazed upon him with an eye of grace and this way he had been blessed with Gursikhi many years later.

More memories to come, as they flash in the mind.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Bhai Kulbir Singh ji!

Bh. Kulbir Singh G

Bhai Jagtar Singh jee had Darshan of Bhai Sahib and did not have Darshan of Bhai Sahib

Bhai Jagtar Singh jee never had Darshan of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee, in physical form, even through Bhai Jagtar Singh jee lived in the era when Bhai Sahib too was alive physically in this world. Bhai Jagtar Singh jee regretted this very much and wished that he had woken up to Sikhi, when Bhai Sahib was here physically. Having said that, Bhai Sahib did used to mention that when he was studying or when he used to travel to Ludhiana, there used to be a Tejasvee Gurmukhi sitting on a chair in a park in Model Town, whom he now suspected to be none other than Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee. Then he used to comment that it is quite possible that Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee had gazed upon him with an eye of grace and this way he had been blessed with Gursikhi many years later.

This pangti immediately rang in Chatrik's head :

ਬ੍ਰਹਮਗਿਆਨੀਕੀਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁਬਰਸੀ ॥

Sat Sat Sat Sri GuruBani jee!

Chota veer
thumbs up
Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Many times I thought of and started writing about my memories of Bhai Sahib, but I could not do so until now. It is very hard to know which memories to list and which ones not to because every single part of my life has been touched by them. The bishrams I do in my nitnem, the bana that I wear, my family, my son, even trivial things like taking a bath (I remember how Bhai Sahib used to get ready for abhyaas in the mornings in 6 minutes), to sitting on a sofa or at a table (Bhai Sahib ate on the floor, not at a table, and I have never seen him sit on his sofa at his house), all of these things remind me of Bhai Sahib.

When I first met Bhai Sahib, I was a wayward teenager, but Bhai Sahib had seen some potential in me, and had always talked to me lovingly, even though I was not amritdharee, or even close to being amritdharee. When I got pesh and wore banaa for the first time, I remember him telling me kee "pehlaa tu kiddaa dee lagdee see, hun tere te robh disdaa hai."

Bhai Sahib played many roles in my life, including that of father and a friend. When he was proud of me, like when I kept bibek or started wearing bana, he would give me a look that made you feel like a million dollars. It was so full of love and compassion that it enveloped you within and throughout. However, if he was dissapointed in me, such as when I had a dhill in paaths or I missed my santhya practices, then the look he gave you made you realize that you better start catching up fast! Bhai Sahib used to call me "singh" with my name out of love, whenever he wanted to address me with love because I loved to wear shastars and referred to myself in the masculine form sometimes when I talked.

There are many memories of Bhai sahib I will always cherish, and I thank Vaheguru and Guru Sahib that I had the gift of having their sangat and getting the opportunity to turn my life around. What pains me most of Bhai Sahib's going is that, for the past year or two, I had not gotten his sangat as much as before, and I always held this naive belief that after some time, things will get back to normal, and that life will eventually resolve its tangles and move everything back into place. Whenever I had any issues in life, Bhai Sahib always used to offer a solution through paath and abhyaas, and I had not gotten this opportunity in the last year or two. Now I will never get that opportunity to talk to him about the issues I am facing right now. The second biggest pain I have right now is I had this childish desire to once again here Bhai Sahib say my name with "Singh" like he used to before, and that will also not be.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login