ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gurmat Parshada

Posted by Amritvela 
Gurmat Parshada
July 11, 2011 10:50AM
Recently, I came across some Gurmukh pyaare ruining parshaday in langar. What I saw happening in langar was quite shocking and very confusing. I was given seva of preparing parshaday one morning and as so, started to butter each parshada with ghe the correct and normal way until one Gurmukh pyaara yelled asking who had buttered the wrong side of the parshada.

I so happened to learn that people from the Majha region of Punjab actually butter the wrong side of the parshada. From what I have known, there's only one side that you butter and I never knew that some people buttered the wrong side.

It would be interesting to see what side users on this forum butter so that the Gurmukhs I witnessed ruining Gurmat parshaday in langar can stop buttering the wrong side.

The correct side:

(Image from google images)

The wrong side:
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Gurmat Parshada
July 11, 2011 11:01AM
haha this thread is hilarious. i'm totally for the first picture above. i agree that the 2nd image shows the wrong side of the parshada buttered.
July 11, 2011 11:18AM
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Gurmat...Parshada???

Sure:

ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹਮਾਰਾ ਭੋਜਨੁ ਛਤੀਹ ਪਰਕਾਰ ਜਿਤੁ ਖਾਇਐ ਹਮ ਕਉ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਿ ਭਈ ॥
Har Naam Hamaaraa Bhojan Shhatheeh Parakaar Jith Khaaeiai Ham Ko Thripath Bhee ||
The Lord's Name is my food; eating the thirty-six varieties of it, I am satisfied and satiated. (593).

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

But yes, you are buttering the "wrong" side. Also, did you execute the stepladder system of stacking, where the two buttered sides face each other and the two dry sides face each other? If not, FOR SHAME!!!!

eye popping smiley

Anyways, you could have been a Mr. Smarty Pants and mis-quoted this verse:

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਰੋਟੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਕਾਠ ਕੀ ਲਾਵਣੁ ਮੇਰੀ ਭੁਖ ॥
Farid! My bread is the wooden-pot and the hunger is my cooked vegetable.

ਜਿਨਾ ਖਾਧੀ ਚੋਪੜੀ ਘਣੇ ਸਹਨਿਗੇ ਦੁਖ ॥੨੮॥
They, who eat buttered bread, shall suffer great pain. (1379 - translation Bhai Manmohan Singh).

...and proceeded to not butter anything. But that runs the risk of a "Gurmat beatdown" with a "Gurmat belna/karchi/batta".
July 11, 2011 11:24AM
yes i was bit confused my parents are from doaba, and my singh s parents r also from doaba ...But both have differant pattern of buttering parshada.. Its bit complicate for me what i have to do in my parents style, or in laws style... My husband said family who came from pakistan had differant way of butterng parshadas as in malwa and doaba..
July 11, 2011 11:38AM
Since it is Ghor Kaljug, I know my opinion on this subject is not going to be well-received but I insist that the second Parshada above is the Sidha-Paasa (correct side) and this is the side where gheo should be applied. The Parshada in the first Parshada is showing Putha-Paasa on the top. Just notice that the Putha Paasa of Parshada is the thicker side whereas the Sidha Paasa has the thin veil of Purdah. How can the thicker side be on the top?

In olden days, the households that had abundant Lavera (milk, dairy) used to apply gheo on the Sidha Paasa. Mothers who wanted to give more gheo to their children without others finding out how much gheo their child was consuming, used to apply normal gheo on the Sidha Paasa and then used to poke a hole in the Pardah of Sidha Paasa, and put spoonful of gheo in there. I am talking with personal experience here. My mother didn't want anyone to know how much gheo I was eating and for this reason she used to put spoonful or even more gheo inside the Purdah of Parshada. Such Parshada that was drenched in gheo used to taste so good. Try it out.

When I got married, Shirimati jee (my wife) used to apply gheo on the wrong side. When she brought Parshada the first day, I knew that it was time for some very serious talk. I said to her, "Dear Shirimati jee, it would be fine for me if you give me Parshada late, I would be okay if you don't give me Parshada at all, it would be fine if you read Raagmala, it would be fine if you do dhuni in Kirtan, it would be fine if you don't talk to me with your sweet smile on your face, it would be fine if you call me "tu" instead of "tussi", it would be fine if you don't cook for me pizza, samosay, jalebiaan, cake, etc, it would be okay if you force me to go to your parent's house everyday, it would be fine if I have to do my own laundry, it would be fine if you don't give me tea (I used to drink tea back then), BUT PLEASE DON'T APPLY GHEO ON THE WRONG SIDE OF PARSHADA."

Shirimati jee is very intelligent and quickly realized that how important it is to apply gheo on the correct side. At first she used to apply gheo for me on the correct side but she continued to apply gheo for herself on the wrong side. Then few times, she ate the Parshada that was Chopar on the correct side and lo behold, she realized what she had been missing. She then realized how she had lost her precious couple of decades eating Parshada with gheo applied on the wrong side. To make up the loss, she started eating half Parshada (with correct chopar side) more to make up for lost years.

I have taught my sons too that no matter what, but the Parshade must have gheo on the correct side. It is okay to not apply gheo at all but if you must apply gheo to Parshade, then it must be applied to the correct side. I am glad that so far, my sons too are quite adamant on applying gheo only on the correct side. We will make sure that the girls they get married to, in addition to Sarbloh Bibek and other Rehti of Khalsa, also chopar Parshada on the correct side. smiling smiley

As time is passing, Kaljug is becoming ghor (dark) and ghor. Good virtues like honesty, fidelity, loyalty, truthfulness, charity, compassion etc. are becoming things of past. So much so that now people have started applying gheo on the wrong side of Parshada. It is written in old manuscripts that when majority of people start applying gheo on the wrong side of Parshada, then it should be considered that Kaljug is at its peak. But there is a silver lining in this affair. When ghor Kaljug arrives, then Vaheguru jee will take action to restore Dharma and one of the things that will get restored is that the population will start applying gheo on the correct side. Those who don't realize this truth will lose. So friends, start apply gheo on the correct side of the Parshada otherwise, we can't qualify such Parshada as Gurmat Parshada.

Guru Sahib knows better. smiling smiley

Kulbir Singh
July 11, 2011 11:42AM
what does "which side of the parshada" you butter has to do with >Gurmat< ?

Chota veer
Reply Quote Gurmat< ? Chota veer&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgurmatbibek.com%2Fforum%2Fread.php%3F3%2C15929%2C15939%23msg-15939" target="_blank">TweetFacebook
July 11, 2011 12:08PM
Vah Ji Vah! Great thread!! thanks for the pictures AV Ji theres nothing better than the sight of hot buttered parshadey after a long day.

Having now heard points for and against which side to butter parshaday, I think we as Sarbat Khalsa should pass a resoluion to butter BOTH sides!

There you go, Ekta on a plate.
July 11, 2011 12:28PM
to add a little bit more controversy. Don't know which side is Gurmat Side. But there are definitely two sides, majha side and malwa side. Doaba side folks goes with either side, wherever the flow is drinking smiley
July 11, 2011 01:04PM

Having now heard points for and against which side to butter parshaday, I think we as Sarbat Khalsa should pass a resoluion to butter BOTH sides!

Good solution Outwardly jeeo, but make sure that the resolution ensures that the Sidha Paasa is chopared first. winking smiley

And it wasn't nice that you did not keep your promise of giving Darshan before leaving. Now next time you come, you will have to stay at least overnight, if not the whole time.

Kulbir Singh
July 11, 2011 03:35PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru ji Ke Fateh

Why play ignorance to the line:

They, who eat buttered bread, shall suffer great pain. (1379 - translation Bhai Manmohan Singh).

...and proceeded to not butter anything. But that runs the risk of a "Gurmat beatdown" with a "Gurmat belna/karchi/batta".

for me this quote is fast forward into the future where sceintifically we now know the dangers of eating butter -- therefore perfer not chapuri - the best tasting ever - just try it.
July 11, 2011 03:53PM
Is anyone else here totally lost? lol
July 11, 2011 04:47PM
LOL, funny post by Kulbir Singh Jee. I like to chopur the purdah(thin) side. But in the end of the day Baba Farid jee's quote is the deciding factor.
July 11, 2011 05:42PM
I didn't understand anything but I do feel a lot more hungry now.
July 11, 2011 05:49PM
Amritval Ji.

I'm so glad you bought up this topic. Many years back a friend of mine and I were discussing this very same topic. It came about as he was perplexed why he had butter on his hands every time he ate at the Gurdwara. He like Kulbir Singh Ji was taught that the sidha side of the parshada was the smoother but tougher side. He was also from Amritsar region smiling smiley. At first I thought he had lost the plot, but he explained the logic behind buttering the in my eyes putha passa, by stating that the soft part (image 1) does not require any butter and the roti tastes better with the side (image 2) buttered.

Does this apply to Paranthas as well as they are already buttered on the inside?

Ref the line from Baba Farid Ji, and this might end up being a separate topic, are you guys deriving the correct meaning? I might be wrong but are are we sure this does not mean eating chopri roti/foods through deceitful methods?? At the end of the day if gheo was not meant to be used why would it be a key ingredient in Parshad.
July 11, 2011 06:31PM
This is the first time I've heard of two sides to a parshada, anytime i cook them both sides look the exact same...i must be doing something wrong
July 11, 2011 06:53PM
I would like to add that the second picture is the correct way of applying butter to a parshada. This way has been coming down since puratan times, in the Parshada Sampardaee. Also, all the Sant Babai have told me this. smiling smiley

(p.s I do hope everyone understands what I mean)
July 11, 2011 07:29PM
lol Gurman Singh smiling smiley. But Bhai Kulbir Singh Ji I cant believe you betrayed doaba. yawning smiley
July 11, 2011 07:41PM
So wait, which side of the parshada is winning? Out of all the viewpoints me and Bhai Kulbir Singh jee share and agree with, this is the first time our view differs from one another.

Jagat Jalandhaa Rakh Lai Apni Kirpa Dhaar

GurmatBibek.com should issue a letter to Siri Akaal Takht regarding which side of the parshada should be buttered. Those who butter the wrong side be given strict Tankhaah.
July 11, 2011 07:42PM
LOL, Gursimran Singh jeeo. You see, a child speaks mother-tongue (not father-tongue) and same way every child likes the side his mother chopars. I am no exception.

And gsingh jeeo, all the Sant Babe who told you about the correct Sidha Paasa, are real Sant Babe. They just proved it. smiling smiley

Kulbir Singh
July 11, 2011 10:22PM
thanks fro all the this advice. i will now start to keep proper parshada bibek THANKS!!
July 12, 2011 07:24AM
funny topic.... where do people dream these things up....

Reality is we do not live in hot countries anymore.... so best thing is not put butter on either side....

It will only lead to heart disease....
July 12, 2011 12:17PM
Bhai Kulbir Singh jee, you lose! Here's a video proof of gheo being applied on the right side of the parshada:

[www.flickr.com]
July 12, 2011 04:33PM
That's was pure Manmat, Jaspreet Singh jeeo!
July 12, 2011 11:23PM
Waheguru!

Daas asked a question with that video, did not outright say that is the correct way of doing it!

But as we are defending a very important asool here, Bhai Kulbir Singh jee do you get gheo put on the other side?

If so, that is sooooooooooo wrong! smiling smiley

Though do not want yet another fundamental rehit causing panthic divisions, I'm happy to try it and let you know if it really is " better "

Bhai jaspreet Singh jeeo! Fully agree Sri akaal takht should issue a Hukamnama on this topic!

Unjaan ji you are correct, there was once a Gursikh who used to answer my many questions, but i believe i must have annoyed them far too much to warrant any answers to any recent questions. Below is this beautiful Gursikhs response to the gurbani tukhs;

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਰੋਟੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਕਾਠ ਕੀ ਲਾਵਣੁ ਮੇਰੀ ਭੁਖ ॥
ਰੁਖੀ ਸੁਖੀ ਖਾਇ ਕੈ ਠੰਢਾ ਪਾਣੀ ਪੀਉ ॥
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਦੇਖਿ ਪਰਾਈ ਚੋਪੜੀ ਨਾ ਤਰਸਾਏ ਜੀਉ ॥੨੯॥

This pankiti does not give hukam of not eating parshada with gheo. It is giving the hukam that if you can't afford to eat roti with gheo, then you should not look at your neighbour's roti with gheo and covet it. If gheo was bad, it would not have been used so abundantly in langars during Guru Sahib's time. In Ramkali kee Vaar it's mentioned that even kheer used to have gheo in it, during Siri Guru Angad Dev jee Maharaj's times.

Another point to note from this is that one should eat simple food and not get indulged in tastes.
July 13, 2011 01:46AM
I have learnt a lot of new things through this website. But this by far has been the best and one of the most important things I have learnt.

Thank you Amritvela Jeeo for bringing this up and thanks to Kulbir SIngh Jeeo for having explained the matter in great detail.

We should have more of such 'Gurmat' articles.
July 13, 2011 04:25AM
ਲਓ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਜੀਓ ਹੁਣ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਬਿਬੇਕ ਫੋਰਮ ਤੇ ਵਿਧੀਵਧ ਤਰੀਕੇ ਨਾਲ ਤਿਆਰ ਲੰਗਰ ਵੀ ਮਿਲੇਗਾ !ਲੰਗਰ ਖੁਲਣ ਦਾ ਸਮਾਂ ਜਦੋਂ ਆਪ ਜੀ ਫੋਰਮ ਤੇ ਲੋਗ ਇਨ ਕਰੋਂਗੇ ਅਤੇ ਲੰਗਰ ਸਮਾਪਤੀ ਦਾ ਸਮਾਂ ਜਦੋਂ ਆਪ ਜੀ ਫੋਰਮ ਤੋਂ ਲੌਗ ਆਉਟ ਕਰੋਂਗੇ!ਨਾਲ ਦੇਗ ਦੇ ਗਫ਼ੇ ਵੀ ਰੱਜ-ਰੱਜ ਛਕੋ ਜੀ!ਹਾ ਹਾ ਹਾ
July 13, 2011 10:21AM

I so happened to learn that people from the Majha region of Punjab actually butter the wrong side of the parshada.

No, people from Majha butter the correct side and their Punjabi is more ਠੇਠ as well.
July 13, 2011 11:53AM
Bijla Singh
No, people from Majha butter the correct side and their Punjabi is more ਠੇਠ as well.

i disagree, Punjabi from Doaba (Jalandhar) is more precise and clear.
July 13, 2011 12:38PM

i disagree, Punjabi from Doaba (Jalandhar) is more precise and clear.

Nope. Majha Punjabi is more ਠੇਠ and they butter the right side of roti.smiling smiley
July 13, 2011 03:00PM
How about no Gheeo on prashadey! hahaa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login