ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ਸੁ ਕਹੁ ਟਲ/ਕਲ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵੀਐ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥

Posted by Tejasv 
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I had read an article by Bhai Kulbir Singh, sometime back, which contained detailed veechar on the following pankiti:

ਸੁ ਕਹੁ ਟਲ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵੀਐ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥

It was explained why it should be ਕਲ and not ਟਲ in this pankiti.

I am not able to find that article and I am pretty sure it was before this website started. Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee could you please write about this topic again here, so as to explain why it should be ਕਲ and not ਟਲ in the above pankiti?

Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Tejasv jeeo,

Indeed the correct paath is ਸੁ ਕਹੁ ਕਲ and not ਸੋ ਕਹੁ ਟਲ. Bhai Hardaas the Hazoori Likhaari of Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee and whose written Bir is considered to be one of the most Shudh Bir has the paath - ਸੁ ਕਹੁ ਕਲ as opposed to ਸੋ ਕਹੁ ਟਲ.

The biggest proof is that the internal numbering system of Gurbani does NOT backup a Bhatt by the name of Tal. All 10 Savaiyas of Savaiye Mahalle Dooje ke are written by Bhatt Kal and if the last one had been written by Bhatt Tal (such a Bhatt did not exist), then the numbering in the end would have indicated that as is the case with Savaiyas of Mahalle Chauthe ke, which are written by multiple Bhatts and the numbering system reflects that. Anyone, can go through all Bhatt Savaiyas and do the counting. It’s a great exercise to learn the meticulous numbering system that Guru Sahib designed to prevent infiltration of Kachi Baani and to enable us to count the Bhatts whose Baani is written in Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee.

Presented below are two pictures of Saroops completed in 1714AD and 1837AD respectively. Both of these Saroops have the correct Paath ਸੁ ਕਹੁ ਕਲ as opposed to ਸੋ ਕਹੁ ਟਲ.

The printed Saroops have such typo mistakes that need to be corrected. So how did ਕਲ become ਟਲ? Depending on the writing style of Likhaaris, some write Kakka and Tainka very similarly and many writers copied the wrong Paath and then Tal became more prevalent than Kal but as stated before, many old Saroops do have the correct Paath Kal. Guru Sahib kirpa karan.

Bhul Chuk dee Maafi jee.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Never even knew this. Thanks for bringing this up.
Kulbir Singh Ji, what is the evidence that Bhatt Tall did not exist? Do you agree with Prof. Sahib Singh regarding numbering of Bhatts to be 11 instead of 17?
Waheguru Ji ka khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh
Presented below are two pictures of Saroops completed in 1714AD and 1837AD respectively.

One more thing can also be seen straight forward, Guess what? Mangals in both saroops are first before ਸਵਈਏ ਮਹਲੇ ਤੀਜੇ ਕੇ ੩ but in current saroop it is printed as ਸਵਈਏ ਮਹਲੇ ਤੀਜੇ ਕੇ ੩ ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥ What a blunder decision by certain individuals!

With Regards,
Daas

Kulbir Singh Ji, what is the evidence that Bhatt Tall did not exist? Do you agree with Prof. Sahib Singh regarding numbering of Bhatts to be 11 instead of 17?

Bhai Bijla Singh jeeo, the evidence as explained is that the name of so called Bhatt Tall does not exist at all. If you do count of Bhatts yourself, based on the numbering system, you come up with the count of 11 Bhatts. This Daas went through all the Bhatt Savaiyaas, slowly and diligently, and found the count of the Bhatts to be as per the chart designed by this Daas:

Later on, I compared this to the count done by Professor Sahib Singh and it matched 100%. I am convinced that there are 11 Bhatts and not 17, as some Sampradayak claim.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
JASJIT SINGH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Waheguru Ji ka khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh
>
>
>
>
> One more thing can also be seen straight forward,
> Guess what? Mangals in both saroops are first
> before ਸਵਈਏ ਮਹਲੇ ਤੀਜੇ
> ਕੇ ੩ but in current saroop it is printed as
> ਸਵਈਏ ਮਹਲੇ ਤੀਜੇ ਕੇ ੩
> ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
> What a blunder decision by certain individuals!
>
> With Regards,
> Daas

Another great find Jasjit Singh Jee.
Kulbir Singh Ji, you misunderstood my question. I asked for evidence that proves that Bhatt Tall did not exist not whether bani under his name does not appear in Guru Granth Sahib. Bhatt Vahis provide names of all the Bhatts and their descendents. Vahis begin with Bhgeerath and then continue forward with names like they appear in Bible. Here is a short extract.

...ਕਲ ਭਿਖਾ ਕਾ, ਮਥਰਾ ਭਿਖਾ ਕਾ, ਜਾਲਪ ਭਿਖਾ ਕਾ, ਕੀਰਤ ਭਿਖਾ ਕਾ, ਮਲੀਆ ਭਿਖਾ ਕਾ, ਦਲੀਆ ਭਿਖਾ ਕਾ ।....ਟੁਡੀਆ ਸੋਖਾ ਕਾ, ਸਲ ਸੋਖਾ ਕਾ, ਭਲ ਸੋਖਾ ਕਾ, ਟਲ ਸੋਖਾ ਕਾ, ਮੋਖਰਾ ਸੋਖਾ ਕਾ, ਪਿੰਗਲਾ ਸੋਖਾ ਕਾ । ਦੂਦਾ ਸਲ ਕਾ, ਜੈਦੀ ਸਲ ਕਾ ।

As we can see, Tall was son of Sokha, younger brother of Bhikha. Bhikha had five brothers but none of them composed anything. There were other Bhatts whose compositions were not included in Bani. If we go by Bhatt Vahis and count all the names of Bhatts whose bani was included in Guru Granth Sahib then the total number comes out to be 17 which is also confirmed by Sooraj Parkash and other texts. Prof. Sahib Singh’s logics sometimes are outlandish. Just because ‘Daas’ means servant doesn’t mean Daas Bhatt did not exist. Daas Bhatt was son of Tokha. Kall was son of Bhikha while Kallsahaar was son of Chokha. They were two people but Prof. Sahib Singh and Teja Singh made them one without any evidence. It is similar to saying Bhagat Kabir Ji’s wife was not Loyee because the word means ‘world’.

I have not reached Bhatt Sawayeas in my study of Gurbani so I cannot agree or disagree with you whether Tall’s bani is in Guru Granth Sahib. Veechar on this will follow when by guru’s kirpa I am done studying them. It can very well be that only rachna of 11 bhatts was accepted by Guru Sahib. Numbering system argument is very strong. I have some questions related to this. Aren’t Sawayeas organized by praises of Gurus rather than compositions of Bhatts? In other words, Sawayeas are not categorized by Bhatts. Only Bhikha is mentioned specifically and that I think is because he was the leader and the eldest of all the Bhatts who came to Guru Sahib. Vaar of Satta and Balwand is also in similar fashion in which not every pauri has name of the author and numbering system does not tell whether the pauri belongs to Satta or Balwand. If we say first 3 belong to Balwand and 4-6 belong to Satta then what about the last two? Sidh Goast bani is not written based on yogis that asked questions and numbering system does not tell who is asking questions and when one has finished asking and the other has started asking. Sometimes the shabad ends with the question and the answer is given in the next shabad.

Also, provide more information on Bhai Hardas Ji. Would you pronounce the pankti as ”So Keh..” instead of “So Kaho”? Guru Rakha

Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee, I was looking at the chart, prepared by you, and also at the Bhatt Savaiyaas.

Due to my very meager knowledge, there is one thing I am not able to understand. There are 3 extra names (I am presuming they are names), which come in the Bhatt Savaiyaas and they have not been mentioned in the chart prepared by you. These are:
ਰਡ - Ang 1399
ਝੋਲਨਾ - Ang 1400
ਸੋਰਠੇ - Ang 1408
This assumption that they are different Bhatts was based on the reasoning that the numbering starts from 1 for each of them. But they do not figure in your chart. Could you please explain whether the above are Bhatt names or do they mean something else. Also, if they are not different Bhatts, why does the numbering system start afresh (from 1) for each of them?

Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee
Also, just out of curiosity, I would like to ask a question which is not related to this topic.

Does the Saroop, written by Bhai Hardaas the Hazoori Likhaari of Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee, contain ragmala or not?

Also, currently where is this Saroop prakash?
Veer Bijla Singh jeeo,

Kulbir Singh Ji, you misunderstood my question. I asked for evidence that proves that Bhatt Tall did not exist not whether bani under his name does not appear in Guru Granth Sahib.

When I wrote that Bhatt Tal does not exist, I did not mean that he did not exist in this world but what I meant was that there is no Bhatt Tal whose Baani is in Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee. I don't question the existence of Bhatt Tal in this world. Thanks for the proof from Bhatt Vahees that Tal did exist.

Prof. Sahib Singh’s logics sometimes are outlandish. Just because ‘Daas’ means servant doesn’t mean Daas Bhatt did not exist. Daas Bhatt was son of Tokha.

Professor Sahib Singh was a great scholar and a Vichaarvaan. He reached the conclusion that there is no Daas Bhatt, based on the number counting system of Bhatt Baani. This Daas, as previously stated, reached the same conclusion after doing independant research on this and a chart on the number count of Bhatts is posted in the previous post.

The first 13 Savaiyas of Savaye Mahalle Pehle ke belong to Bhatt Kal as is evident from the fact that the numbering count after that begins with 1. The next 16 Savaiyas are of Bhatt Nal who has also called himself Daas but since the number count does not change to new one, it has to be concluded that all 16 Savaiyaas are of Bhatt Nal and not of Daas and Nal separately. Another proof is that when the 16 Savaiyas of Nal are over, the last Pauri gives count of all Bhatts whose Baani has been written thus far:

ਦਾਸੁ ਬੇਨਤਿ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਮੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਲਹੈ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਜਪੁ ਮੰਨ ਰੇ ॥੪॥੧੬॥੨੯॥

4 Above means that the Jholna style of Savaiyas written by Nal are 4 in count, his total Savaiyaas are 16 (out of which 8 are of Radd style) and Bhatt Kal's Savaiyaas are 13 in total, making the Grand Total of 29 Savaiyaas thus far.

Kall was son of Bhikha while Kallsahaar was son of Chokha. They were two people but Prof. Sahib Singh and Teja Singh made them one without any evidence. It is similar to saying Bhagat Kabir Ji’s wife was not Loyee because the word means ‘world’.

The evidence according to the numbering system proves that Kal and Kal Sahaar are one and the same person, as far as Gurbani is concerned. They may be two persons in existence but in Gurbani, Kal and Kal Sahaar are one person. Please ponder upon the Savaiyas of Mahalla Dooja. All 10 Savaiyas belong to Bhatt Kal. In the first 4 Savaiyaas the name he uses is Kal-Sahaar (in the 5th pauri, no Bhatt-name is used) but in the last 5 he uses the name Kal alone. If Kal had been different from Kal Sahaar, then beginning with the 6th Pauri, the new count of Pauris would have started but this does not happen.

When the Baani of new Bhatt arrives, the count at the end of the Pauri changes. Let's look at an example from Savaiyaas of Mahalla Teeja to understand this:

The first 9 Savaiyaas are of Bhatt Kal and the 10th Pauri belongs to Bhatt Jaalap. Please note the the numbering at the end of Pauri 10:

ਸਕਯਥੁ ਸੁ ਸਿਰੁ ਜਾਲਪੁ ਭਣੈ ਜੁ ਸਿਰੁ ਨਿਵੈ ਗੁਰ ਅਮਰ ਨਿਤ ॥੧॥੧੦॥
1 here means that this Pauri is written by Bhatt Jaalap and 10 means that the total count of Savaiyaas is 9 + 1 = 10. 9 is the count of Bhatt Kal. The total count of Savaiyaas of Bhatt Jaalap are 5. Now let's move on to end of Pauri 14 to see what the count says:

ਜਾਲਪਾ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਇਤੜੇ ਗੁਰ ਅਮਰਦਾਸਿ ਡਿਠੈ ਮਿਲਹਿ ॥੫॥੧੪॥
Here 5 means that the total of Savaiyaas of Bhatt Jaalap are 5 and the total count of Savaiyaas thus far are 14. As we know 9 Savaiyaas are of Bhatt Kal. So the total is correctly 5 + 9 = 14. Now since the next Bhatt is Keerat, let's see what the first Savaiya of this Bhatt has at the end:

ਗੁਰ ਅਮਰਦਾਸ ਕੀਰਤੁ ਕਹੈ ਤ੍ਰਾਹਿ ਤ੍ਰਾਹਿ ਤੁਅ ਪਾ ਸਰਣ ॥੧॥੧੫॥
Here 1 means that the Savaiyaas of Bhatt Keerat are 1 thus far and the total Savaiyaas are 15. How's it 15? 9 + 5 + 1 = 15. The total count of Savaiyaas of Bhatt Keerat are 4. Let's see what the count is at the end of 4 Pauris of Bhatt Keerat:

ਗੁਰ ਅਮਰਦਾਸ ਕਾਰਣ ਕਰਣ ਜਿਵ ਤੂ ਰਖਹਿ ਤਿਵ ਰਹਉ ॥੪॥੧੮॥
Here 4 means that the total count of Bhatt Keerat's Savaiyaa are 4 and the grand total is 18. The breakdown of 18 is 9 + 5 + 4 = 18 (9 of Kal, 5 of Jaalap and 4 of Keerat). The next set of Savaiyaas belong to Bhikha. Let's see the count at the end of first Pauri of Bhikha:

ਗੁਰੁ ਮਿਲ੍ਯ੍ਯਿਉ ਸੋਇ ਭਿਖਾ ਕਹੈ ਸਹਜ ਰੰਗਿ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਦੀਅਉ ॥੧॥੧੯॥
Here 1 means that the Savaiyaas of Bhikha are 1 so far and 19 means that the total count is 19. How 19? 9 + 5 + 4 + 1.

At the end of 20th pauri, the count is:

ਗੁਰੁ ਦਯਿ ਮਿਲਾਯਉ ਭਿਖਿਆ ਜਿਵ ਤੂ ਰਖਹਿ ਤਿਵ ਰਹਉ ॥੨॥੨੦॥
2 here means the total of Bhikha's Savaiyaas are 2 and the Grand total is 20. The breakdown of 20 is: 9 of Kal, 5 of Jaalap, 4 of Keerat and 2 of Bhikha. The next Savaiyaa is of Sal. The count at the end of his Pauri is:

ਗੁਰ ਅਮਰਦਾਸ ਸਚੁ ਸਲ੍ਯ੍ਯ ਭਣਿ ਤੈ ਦਲੁ ਜਿਤਉ ਇਵ ਜੁਧੁ ਕਰਿ ॥੧॥੨੧॥
Here 1 means that the total of Bhat Sal's Savaiyaas is 1. 21 is the grandtotal.

The Last Pauri is of Bhatt Bhal and the count at the end of this Pauri is as follows:

ਭਲੇ ਅਮਰਦਾਸ ਗੁਣ ਤੇਰੇ ਤੇਰੀ ਉਪਮਾ ਤੋਹਿ ਬਨਿ ਆਵੈ ॥੧॥੨੨॥
Here 1 means that the total of Bhal Bhatt's Savaiyaas is 1. The Grand Total is 22. The breakdown of 22 is as follows: 9 of Kal, 5 of Jaalap, 4 of Keerat, 2 of Bhikha, 1 of Sal and 1 of Bhal - 9 + 5 + 4 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 22.

Now in the light of the above presentation from Savaiyaas of Mahalla 3, we can safely understand that Kal and Kal Sahaar are one and the same person, as far as Gurbani is concerned. In Savaiyas of Mahalla Dooja, if Kal had been different from Kal Sahaar, then at the end of 6th Pauri (when the name of Kal appears instead of Kal Sahaar) the total should have been = 1 || 6 and not 6 alone as it appears now:

ਹਰਿ ਪਰਸਿਓ ਕਲੁ ਸਮੁਲਵੈ ਜਨ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਲਹਣੇ ਭਯੌ ॥੬॥

Based on the above Vichaar, Daas humbly submits that the count of Bhatts whose Baani is in Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee is 11 and not 17 or 14 as some claim.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

ਰਡ - Ang 1399
ਝੋਲਨਾ - Ang 1400
ਸੋਰਠੇ - Ang 1408
This assumption that they are different Bhatts was based on the reasoning that the numbering starts from 1 for each of them. But they do not figure in your chart. Could you please explain whether the above are Bhatt names or do they mean something else. Also, if they are not different Bhatts, why does the numbering system start afresh (from 1) for each of them?

ਰਡ and ਝੋਲਨਾ are both styles of Savaiyaas that appear in Mahalla Chauthe ke and written by Bhatt Nal. The count changes after this in order to differentiate them from others. Please notice that along with the total of Chhant style, the author too appears. Total Savaiyaas of ਰਡ are 8 and ਝੋਲਨਾ are 4.

ਸੋਰਠੇ are from Mahalle Panjve ke and is also a style of Savaiyas written by Bhatt Kal Sahaar.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee
Also, just out of curiosity, I would like to ask a question which is not related to this topic.
Does the Saroop, written by Bhai Hardaas the Hazoori Likhaari of Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee, contain ragmala or not?
Also, currently where is this Saroop prakash?

Since this Bir of Maharaaj is one of the most Shudh, scholars related to SGPC few decades ago published a detailed listing of Paath Bheds related to this Bir. This Bir got lost/Shaheed in 1984. All Mangals in this Bir are in the beginning. Not sure about Raagmala. Will check.

Kulbir Singh
Wonderful post by Kulbir Singh Ji. Thank you Veer Ji, for telling us, that what the counts mean and how those can help us to understand GURBANI.

For so many years, I was listening and saying ਸੁ ਕਹੁ ਟਲ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵੀਐ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥ It will be interesting and difficult to change now. May be I will avoid reading it, at all, in Sangat. How do you do it?

I have one question Ji. Is the count always same in all the GURU SAHIB SARUPS, in each ANG and in each Shabad? Unlike lagg matra, is the count always same and uncontroversial? If it is so, that shows the importance of The Numbering.

GURU SAHIB has given such a great gift to humanity. We must be thankful, in each breath.
Kulbir Singh Ji, thanks for your reply and detailed explanation. I have few additional questions. Bhatt Swayeas are ustat of Guru Sahib. Vaar of Satta and Balwand is also ustat of Guru Sahib. In both, organization is not based on writers but chronology of Gurus. In Vaar if first 3 pauris are of Balwand and next three are of Satta then numbering at the end of pauri 4 should be ॥1॥4॥ but the numbering system does not tell which pauri belongs to whom. Same goes with Sidh Goast. What is your opinion on this?

I am not saying Prof. Sahib Singh was not a great scholar but it is a known fact that he sometimes using discursive logic rejected our most popular and known traditions and sakhis.
Another very informative post by Kulbir Singh Jee. I'm learning a lot from this wonderful forum.
Veer Bijla Singh jeeo,

Kulbir Singh Ji, thanks for your reply and detailed explanation. I have few additional questions. Bhatt Swayeas are ustat of Guru Sahib. Vaar of Satta and Balwand is also ustat of Guru Sahib. In both, organization is not based on writers but chronology of Gurus. In Vaar if first 3 pauris are of Balwand and next three are of Satta then numbering at the end of pauri 4 should be ॥1॥4॥ but the numbering system does not tell which pauri belongs to whom.

Bhatt Savaiyaas the Savaiyaas are arranged according to the Mahalla (Guru Sahib) but same does not hold true for Ramkali kee Vaar of Satta and Balvand. The special thing about this Vaar is that both Satta jee and Rai Balvand jee together sang this Vaar in the Hazoori of Guru Sahib. This is why the authorship of this Vaar is considered to be joint-authorship by Satta jee and Balvand jee; and this is the reason why the numbering count does not change at the end of 3rd Pauri.

Based on the analysis of this Vaar, one reaches the following conclusion with respect to the sequence of the Pauris of this Vaar:

We can see very clearly that the Pauris are not arranged by the Mahalla but by Author.

The first 3 Pauris are of Balvand because his name appears in the third Pauri. If the 4th Pauri had been of Balvand as well, then he would not have talked about Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee again. Since the 4th Pauri again talks about Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee, it seems probable that this Pauri and the subsequent Pauris are of Satta jee.

Having said that, another thing to observe is that the name of Satta jee appears in the 6th Pauri and the possibility is that only upto this Pauri the Pauris are of Satta alone. In such case its possible that the Pauris 7 and 8 were made jointly by Satta and Balvand.

In any case, the heading of the Vaar clearly says that this Vaar was not written by the Rabaabis but only sung or uttered. The numbering system does not indicate which Pauri belongs to who. So it seems that the intention of Guru Sahib is to have His Gursikhs believe that this Vaar is co-authored by two Rabaabis - Satta jee and Balvand jee.

I am not saying Prof. Sahib Singh was not a great scholar but it is a known fact that he sometimes using discursive logic rejected our most popular and known traditions and sakhis.

I agree with you. Some of the conclusions that Professor Sahib Singh jee has drawn based on logic are not in accordance to Gurmat but I don't think his intentions were anti-Panthik as is the case with modern day pseudo scholars who are rejecting all traditions of our faith. Professor Sahib Singh remained a Panthic scholar all his life and his contribution to Panth is absolutely amazing.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Bhai MB Singh jeeo,

For so many years, I was listening and saying ਸੁ ਕਹੁ ਟਲ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵੀਐ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥ It will be interesting and difficult to change now. May be I will avoid reading it, at all, in Sangat. How do you do it?

This Daas always reads "So Kaho Kal". It's difficult to swallow a fly, when you can see it (ਦੇਖ ਕੇ ਮੱਖੀ ਨਿਗਲਣੀ ਅਉਖੀ ਹੈ ਜੀ।). It's difficult to do wrong Paath when you have overwhelming evidence against it. Same holds true for Mangals. No matter how they are written in the printed Saroops of Maharaaj jee, but this Daas and most Singhs in Toronto read Mangals first.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Ok, I go with you. I go with the logic. Bibek.
ਸੁ ਕਹੁ ਕਲ ਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵੀਐ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥
Thanks for your reply. Do you think Bhatt Swayeas were also written by Guru Sahib and not by Bhatts themselves considering the fact that Bhatts always wrote in Bhthakshri?

Do you think Bhatt Swayeas were also written by Guru Sahib and not by Bhatts themselves considering the fact that Bhatts always wrote in Bhthakshri?

Most likely, the Bhatt Savaiyaas were written by Bhai Gurdaas jee, considering the Viyakaran used in this Baani is same as other Baani of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee.

Kulbir Singh
Bhai Gurdas jee

Bhai Gurdas also gives in his Vãrãñ, XI. 21, a brief account of these Bhatts. What was the number of Bhatts whose compositions are included is a question not yet firmly answered. According to a tradition, Kalh, a leading Bhatt poet, took it upon himself to note down some of the verse of the Bhatts from the vahis and passed it on to Guru Arjan at the time of the compilation of the Holy Book. As for the number of Bhatt contributors to the Guru Granth Sahib, Sahib Singh, Teja Singh, Tãran Singh and other modern scholars count 11 of them, whereas Santokh Siñgh (Sri GurPratãp Suraj Granth), Bhai Vir Singh (Guru Granth Kosh)and some others among the traditional scholars count 17, and Panclit Kartãr Singh Dãkha puts the figure at 19. This variation in owed to the fact that the Bhatts used to sing in chorus and sometimes the chorus sung in a group went in the name of the leader at other times individually in the members of the group.

From among the 17 Bhatts positions figure in the Guru Granth Sahib, Bhikhã, son of Rayyã, was a resident of Sultãnpur Lodhi and had been a follower of Guru Amar Das. Of the total 123 savaiye in the Guru Granth Sahib two are of his composition, both in praise of Guru Amar Das Of the remaining sixteen Bhatt contributors four are his sons; Kalh, also called or Kal Thãkur, who is reckoned to be the most learned of all the Bhatts, has 10 in praise of Guru Nanak, 9 each of Guru Angad and Guru Amar Das, 13 in praise of Guru Ram Das and 12 in praise of Guru Arjan; Jalap who had migrated to Goindval with his father has four his name all of which are in praise of Guru Amar Das; Kirat (d. 1634) has eight savaiye, four each in praise of Guru Amar Das and Guru Ram Dãs; and Mathurã 12, all in praise of Guru Ram Dãs. Salh who has three savaiye extolling the pre-eminence of Guru Amar Dãs (1) and Guru Ram Dãs (2), Bhalh who has one savaiyya in praise of Guru Amar Dãs were the sons of Sekhã, a brother of Rayya.

Balh who has five savaiye stressing the spiritual oneness of the Gurus was son of Tokhã, another brother of Rayya. Haribañs, the eldest son of Gokha, a brother of Rayya, has two savaiyyes , both in praise of Guru Arjan. Nalh has five savaiyyes all in praise of Guru Ram Das. Das also spelt dasu or dasi, has composed ten savaiyyes including one conjointly written with Sevak, who in addition to this has four savaiyye of his own. Parmanand has five savaiyyes are in praise of Guru Ram das, Tal's single one in praise of Guru Añgad .Jalan has two savaiye in praise of Guru Ram Das, Jalh one in praise of Guru Amar Dãs and Gayand five which glorify Guru Ram Dãs. Of the total 123 , ten each pay homage to Guru Nãnak and Guru Angad, 22 to Guru Amar Dãs, Ram Dãs and 21 to Guru Arjan.

The main purpose of these savaiye is to acclaim the Gurus, not as individuals but as the revelation they embodied.The Bhatts see the Gurus as one light, as one spirit passing from one body to the other. Bhatt Kirat for instance: Just as (Guru) Angad was ever the part of Guru Nãnak's being so is Guru Ram Dãs of (Guru) Amar Dãs's Again, Bhatt Kalh: From Guru Nanak was Angad: from Angad, Amar Dãs received sublime rank. From Guru Ram Das descended Guru Arjan, the great devotee of God (GG, 1407). This concept of all the Gurus being one light, one voice has informed all along the Sikh belief and development and constitutes today a fundamental principle of the faith.

sikhwiki.org
ਭਾਇ ਕੁਲਬੀਰ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀਓ,ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ,ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹਿ,ਭਾਈ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਜੀ ਜੋ ਆਪ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦੇ ਅੰਗ ਸ਼ੁਧ ਉਚਾਰਣ ਦੀ ਪਰਮਾਣਿਕਤਾ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਦਰਸ਼ਨਾਂ ਹਿੱਤ ਪੋਸਟ ਕੀਤੇ ਹਨ! ਇਹਨਾਂ ਸਰੂਪਾਂ ਦਾ ਵੇਰਵਾ ਦੇਣ ਦਿ ਖੇਚਲ ਕਰਨੀ ਜੀ ਕਿ ਕਿੱਥੇ ਬਿਰਾਜਮਾਨ ਹਨ!

ਭਾਗਹੀਣਭਰਮਚੋਟਾਂਖਾਵੇ
ਇਹਨਾਂ ਸਰੂਪਾਂ ਬਾਰੇ ਦਾਸ ਨੂੰ ਪੂਰੀ ਜਾਣਕਾਰੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਇਹ ਸਰੂਪ ਇਸ ਵਕਤ ਕਿਥੇ ਹਨ। ਸ਼ਾਇਦ ਪਟਿਆਲਾ ਯੁਨੀਵਰਸਟੀ ਵਾਲਿਆਂ ਪਾਸ ਹੋਣ।
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

So Kulbir Singh Jeeo what were the reasons /arguments for centuries the word "TAL" referrring to Bhatt Tal , has been used ?
Which scolars are in disagrrement with u on this ? and why?

So Kulbir Singh Jeeo what were the reasons /arguments for centuries the word "TAL" referrring to Bhatt Tal , has been used ?
Which scolars are in disagrrement with u on this ? and why?

NS jeeo, please read this thread in its entirety and most of your questions will be answered. I am not aware of any major debates between scholars on this subject.

Kulbir Singh

Kulbir Singh Jeeo - I've reread the thread twice - however fail to understand why without discussing and highlighting with other Jathaas for their views and views from prominent scholars should one set of Gursikhs apply and change and read Gurbani differently .
Well, It's hard to trust any one these days. 99% of the Panth reads mangal's incorrectly because they have duped by the "panth" into thinking the way they are present in printed saroops is accurate. This decision itself was made without panthic input, or input from scholars, rather only a few Singhs from certain Samparda's thought they should make a collective decision for the panth. If an individual does study on a topic, and figures out without a shadow of a doubt that this is the correct form of Guru Sahib's teaching, whether Gurbani, Rehit or anything Sikhi related than why does he need panthic input to decide to follow that teaching.

Currently the panth just reminds of a scary movie. When watching a scary movie it is obious to the viewer who the killer is/when he will strike, and one remains dumbfounded when we see the characters get themselves into situations where they will be murdered. We scream at the TV as the characters set themselves up in situations to be killed, and are stunned by the individuals lack of knolwedge which is so obvious to us. Likewise in the panth, some things are undoubtedly clear and have so much evidence to support them, yet I see myself dumbfounded that the Panth choices to ignore evidence and support Gurmukh teachings (Gurbani, Marayada, Sakhi's etc) that are clearly anti-gurmat. If this argument were bringing to Akal Takht, no matter how much evidence was presented I'm sure they wouldn't change their view. In this case, It's fine to do what's best according to ones own understanding of the issue.

Gunman Singh jeeo and Kulbir Singh Jeeo

It's easy for one to make a change based on ones' research and valid authentication as Kulbir Singh jee has pointed out - however how do you suggest others will find out about/learn about it if it's not discussed or debated at least. Debate is a big lack in our community therefore the misunderstanding within jathas etc. and no confluence of agreement on anything don't you think??

This is change in Gurbani and off extereme importance to be discussed - make others ware-- to bring about change from the top - no matter how scary. How can you be so certain that some or all of the people you make aware will NOT change or take this as a step to be correct it?
The bani being discussed comes under "ਸਵਈਏ ਮਹਲੇ ਦੂਜੇ ਕੇ ੨ ". Which means bani written in praise of Guru Angad Dev jee. Other ਸਵਈਏ too contain bani of 2-3 bhatts under the same sirlekh.

If Raamkali Kee Vaar can be co-authored by 2 individuals.(numbering system doesn't distinguish Balwand and Satta in Raamkali Kee Vaar either). Then why the 10th pauree cant be by Tal ?

Regarding the puraatan saroop evidence pictures above. There is also a probability the writers of these saroop "assumed" it was Kal instead of Tal, due to the previous nine paurees being by Kal. 2 saroops aren't enough to come to a conclusion. We all know for a fact, puratan handwritten saroops are not free of irregularities due to human error.

It will be wiser to check the Kartarpuri Beerh on this matter. Before making definitive conclusions on a message board.

Chota veer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login