ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Books For GurbaNee Viakaran

Posted by Vista 
Books For GurbaNee Viakaran
May 10, 2010 02:59PM
SangatJeeo

Please recommend books for GurbaNee Viakaran and if known where to get them from.
starting from beginner, advance.

Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Some of the books on Gurbani Viyakaran are as follows:

Gurbani Viyakaran - Professor Sahib Singh
Gurbani Saral Viyakaran - Bhai Joginder Singh Talwara
Gurbani diyaan Laga Maatra di Vilakhanta - Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee
Gurbani Viyakaran book by Dr Harkirat Singh
Gurbani Viyakaran by Giani Harbans Singh Nirnaikaar.

Other than this, there are small tracts written by Professor Teja Singh, Bhai Joginder Singh Talwara and Sikh Missionary College.

The best beginners book I think is the tract on Gurbani Viyakaran by Sikh Missionary College. Other tract you can read is the Appendix to Bhai Talwara jee's book on translation of Siri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib's baani.

Books by Dr Harkirat Singh, Professor Sahib Singh are for the advanced reader.

Kulbir Singh
Re: Books For GurbaNee Viakaran
May 12, 2010 08:44AM
Kulbir Singh Ji, would these be available at Sacha Sauda?
Hanji SK jeeo, most of these are available at Sacha Sauda.

Kulbir Singh
Can we start some kind of Viakaran Lessons on this Forum ? VG Kulbir Singh ji Karoge Kirpa ? Week ch EK Lesson Kirpa Kar deya Karo. Maharaaj Tuhaddi SEWA SAFAL Kare !! I am not sure if this idea pleases other Gursikhs ?

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
It is very hard to learn Viyakaran online and without personal interaction. Bhai Jasjit Singh jee too mentioned this with Daas some time ago and this Daas suggested that at least couple of weeks of classes are required to get basic understanding of Gurbani Viyakaran. Once the basic understanding of Gurbani Viyakaran has been gained, then we can do online quizzes and lessons to solidify this knowledge.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
"basic understanding of Gurbani Viyakaran" - I think all here would have this studied back in school and it may be too late now to check for the classes of Grammer. If you can suggest some kind of basic book that you want us to go through and then you can take on from there - That might work , CAN IT ?

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
Veer Kulbir Singh; we may ask you simple questions and you have to simply reply it, briefly. Do not tell us too much about Viakaran. Will it work?

My first question is why we see "Nanak" word, some times Mukta and sometimes with Onkar?
"Gursewak" jee,

As suggested before the following books are a good start for learning Gurbani Viyakaran:

The best beginners book I think is the tract on Gurbani Viyakaran by Sikh Missionary College. Other tract you can read is the Appendix to Bhai Talwara jee's book on translation of Siri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib's baani.

My first question is why we see "Nanak" word, some times Mukta and sometimes with Onkar?

There are few rules as to why nouns are Mukta in the end. In case of "Nanak" being Mukta, the most probable reasons are when it is addressed (Mukhaatib karna, Sambodhan karna) or if it appears in Sambandh-Kaarak Naav or Sampradaan Kaarak positions. When Nanak has an aunkad in the end, it is most probably because it is either used as Karta Karak Naav or Karam Karak Naav.

MB Singh jeeo, you probably have background in Gurbani Viyakaran because of your sangat with Talwara jee and Master jee and will understand the above terms but for most other users, it would be prudent to attend some Viyakaran classes before delving deep into it.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
It is too difficult. I also need a basic lesson. (May be; if english grammer terminology is used and all these terms are defined in the beginning, we can better start it.) I may not ask more questions. But please, let us carry on with the topic started about Nanak.

Following are first five pankities; which appear, with ਨਾਨਕ or ਨਾਨਕੁ; with net search.

Can we say, if Guru Sahib means something to say as the subject Himself; then it is with Aunkar and otherwise it is without it. I know that this could be oversimplification; thus wrong.

ਹੈ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੋਸੀ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ॥੧॥
ਹੁਕਮਿ ਰਜਾਈ ਚਲਣਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੧॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਜੇ ਬੁਝੈ ਤ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਹੈ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥੨॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਵਿਗਸੈ ਵੇਪਰਵਾਹੁ ॥੩॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਏਵੈ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਸਭੁ ਆਪੇ ਸਚਿਆਰੁ ॥੪॥

ਨਾਨਕੁ ਨੀਚੁ ਕਹੈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
ਹੋਰਿ ਕੇਤੇ ਗਾਵਨਿ ਸੇ ਮੈ ਚਿਤਿ ਨ ਆਵਨਿ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਕਿਆ ਵੀਚਾਰੇ ॥
ਹੋਰਿ ਕੇਤੇ ਤੁਧਨੋ ਗਾਵਨਿ ਸੇ ਮੈ ਚਿਤਿ ਨ ਆਵਨਿ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਕਿਆ ਬੀਚਾਰੇ ॥
ਜੋ ਸੇਵਹਿ ਜੋ ਸੇਵਹਿ ਤੁਧੁ ਜੀ ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤਿਨ ਕੁਰਬਾਣਾ ॥੨॥
ਸੇ ਧੰਨੁ ਸੇ ਧੰਨੁ ਜਿਨ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਜੀ ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤਿਨ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਸੀ ॥੩॥

ਹੈ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੋਸੀ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ॥੧॥
ਹੁਕਮਿ ਰਜਾਈ ਚਲਣਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੧॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਜੇ ਬੁਝੈ ਤ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਹੈ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥੨॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਵਿਗਸੈ ਵੇਪਰਵਾਹੁ ॥੩॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਏਵੈ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਸਭੁ ਆਪੇ ਸਚਿਆਰੁ ॥੪॥

In all Pankitis above "Nanak" is being addressed (as Professor Sahib Singh jee interpreted it) or as Talwara jee like to put it "Nanak" here is being used as Mohar Chhaap.

ਨਾਨਕੁ ਨੀਚੁ ਕਹੈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
ਹੋਰਿ ਕੇਤੇ ਗਾਵਨਿ ਸੇ ਮੈ ਚਿਤਿ ਨ ਆਵਨਿ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਕਿਆ ਵੀਚਾਰੇ ॥
ਹੋਰਿ ਕੇਤੇ ਤੁਧਨੋ ਗਾਵਨਿ ਸੇ ਮੈ ਚਿਤਿ ਨ ਆਵਨਿ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਕਿਆ ਬੀਚਾਰੇ ॥
ਜੋ ਸੇਵਹਿ ਜੋ ਸੇਵਹਿ ਤੁਧੁ ਜੀ ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤਿਨ ਕੁਰਬਾਣਾ ॥੨॥
ਸੇ ਧੰਨੁ ਸੇ ਧੰਨੁ ਜਿਨ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਜੀ ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤਿਨ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਸੀ ॥੩॥

In all instances above the word "Nanak" has been used as Karta Karak Ik Vachan Naav.

In the following Pankiti "Nanak" is Mukta because it is "Naav in Sambandh Karak":

ਧੰਨੁ ਧੰਨੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਨ ਕੇਰਾ ਜਿਤੁ ਮਿਲਿਐ ਚੂਕੇ ਸਭਿ ਸੋਗ ਸੰਤਾਪੇ ॥4॥5॥11॥49॥

The meaning is - ਨਾਨਕ ਜਨ ਕੇਰਾ (ਕਾ) ਜੋ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਉਹ ਧੰਨ ਧੰਨ ਹੈ.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Gurfateh

Bhai Sahib Kulbir Singh Ji if you don't mind could you please confirm if you refferring to a tract by Sikh Missionary College Ludhiana, or another college? I happen to have two for quite a while (Gurbani deaa laga maatra de nem kive sikheye, and gurbani da shudh ucharan), but have not read them as I wanted my first exposure to viakaran to be based according to how Bhai Sahib has laid out the rules to avoid getting confused. Are they along the same lines?

Thank you

I happen to have two for quite a while (Gurbani deaa laga maatra de nem kive sikheye, and gurbani da shudh ucharan), but have not read them as I wanted my first exposure to viakaran to be based according to how Bhai Sahib has laid out the rules to avoid getting confused. Are they along the same lines?

Veer Uttam Singh jeeo,

The book published by Sikh Missionary College that I was referring to is - Gurbani deaa laga maatra de nem kive sikheye.

The other book - gurbani da shudh ucharan - you have mentioned too is a good book on Gurbani Uchaaran.

Gurbani Viyakaran is same in all books but some books go deep and others don't go that deep. I don't think you will get confused if you read the above stated tract published on Gurbani Viyakaran. Perhaps if you read this tract and the Appendix in a book (translation of Mahala 9 Baani) of Bhai Talwara jee, it will aid you in understanding Bhai Sahib's book on Gurbani Viyakaran.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Much appreciated bhai sahib ji, I am really looking forward to starting out my viakaran studies grinning smiley
April 11, 2014 08:28AM
I'd like to purchase Gurbani Viyakaran by Sikh Missionary College in the UK and Talwara Jis book, can someone point me to a site please? Managed to find Gurbani Saral Viyakaran Bodh as a pdf but prefer hard copies.
Good luck with getting Talwara Jis book on Grammar its our of printsad smiley

When I was living in the UK a few years ago I remember going to the Public library in Smethwick. There were many old books written by Talwara Ji its a possibility that his book on grammar might be available there. If not perhaps the Gurdwara library/shop at Smethwick Gurdwara ( High Street) might have it. I am referring to the panthic Gurdwara which as been there from the beginning not the sanatan dera Baba Sang Gurdwara.

DFT bookstore on Soho road might have some missionary books on grammar even though I probably wouldn't recommend these books.
April 12, 2014 07:54AM
The Sikh Missionary GurbaNee Viakaran book might be available at the AKJ Vaisakhi Smagam in Derby, UK next week during the last two days. I know some parchaar sevaa groups run stalls there you might be able to find a copy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login