Advanced

sleep and how to fight it

Posted by singhni 
sleep and how to fight it
October 25, 2013 08:48PM
Can somebody please elaborate on the dangers of sleeping

Everytime I sleep I find that my vikaars have increased

why is it that

and is it possible to reach such a avastha in which you never sleep and are constantly japing naam..
and you never have vikaars..

how do gursikhs reach such avasthaa...

Whydo we sleep.?? And is iteven necessary

agyaaniji at my gurdwara was saying sleep was necessary and I thought that gyaani ji was completely wrong. and he didn't make any sense to me...

I seriously think that was really wrong statement

sleep is not necessary after a certain avastha right?

Please elaborate sangat jeeo with evidence from gurbaani..

I am really confused

I find myself really confued all the time. so if any body could help me understand this

that would be awesoe

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa
Vaheguru ji ki Fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: sleep and how to fight it
October 26, 2013 05:44AM
Like the Gyani Ji, I also feel that physical sleep is desired.

In Gurbani, we do find quotes to discourage "sleep", but that sleep is metaphor for ignorance or vices. Whenever we tend to fall away from GURMAT, that is sort of "sleep".

GURBANI says welcome to the sleep; which makes us closer to LORD. Gurbani also says; we should be on the path of NAAM JAAP, whether in sleep or otherwise, walking, eating. It also says, "Get up from sleep early in the morning." and also that---------------- sleep should be of "shorter size".

So "sleep" is not bad, if we tend to "sleep" not.

A cool shower, after a sound sleep, brings new hope always. We need energy to be awake. Sleep restores it.

WE must be thankful to Akal Purakh, who has attached, Sleep, to our physiological requirements.
Sri GUru Amar Das Ji has given us a very practical Hukum in regards to eating and sleeping. When were hungry we should eat but we should not eat in such indulgence where we bloat the body. Nowadys we see many Bibekees deprive themselves for food for long periods but then stuff themselves like there is no tomorrow. Bibek should be practiced in Sehaj and not such high extremes . We should always take fruit with us if we know we are going somewhere.

In regards to sleep , Sri GUru Ji said we should sleep when were tired but we shouldn't over indulge in sleep . This shouldn't be interpreted as if we are tired during AMrit Vela we should just go back to sleep. As MB VEEr Ji has suggested if we get a good rest we will feel more awakened . Sri Guru Ji has given us Hukum to wake up for Amrit Vela, and remember to wake up for Amrit Vela ( Man Meh Chatvao Chitavenee Udham Karon Uth Neet...) I think if we are sleeping less then 5 hours then we deprive ourselves but if we have more then 6.5 then we are over indulging. Its been my experience when we have less sleep then panj vikaars have an effect as much when we have too much sleep.
October 27, 2013 01:30PM
Thanks for answering my question smiling smiley
October 28, 2013 12:21AM
MB Singh, I completely completely disagree with you

it sounds like so wrong, what you have said

Over and over again guru sahib has said din rain saas saas gun gaava, din raati araadho pyaaro nimak na keejai dheela,

And like bhai sukhdeep singh jee.. what you say really hasn't helped me because how do saints fight vikaraa by sleeping? Like nobody seems to give me real answers.... everybody just think that automatically cuz I am a girl I have to sleep atleast 5 hours a day...

I read this
kabeer soothaa kiaa karehi jaag roe bhai dhukh ||

Kabeer, what are you doing sleeping? Wake up and cry in fear and pain.

jw kw bwsw gor mih so ikau sovY suK ]127]

jaa kaa baasaa gor mehi so kio sovai sukh ||127||

Those who live in the grave - how can they sleep in peace? ||127||

and then I hear you say don't overindulge in sleep..but sleep 5 hours.. that sounds like manmat to meee... because guru sahib clearly says din raati guru sahib nu yaad karna chaheedai...

sachee baanee karam karae anadhin naam dhhiaae ||
He acts according to the True Word of the Guru's Bani; night and day, he meditates on the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

anadhin baanee sabadh sunaaeae sach raathae ra(n)g ra(n)gaavaniaa ||4||
So, night and day, listen to the Word of the Guru's Bani, and the Shabad. Let yourself be colored by this love. ||4||

.gur kee baanee anadhin gaavai sehajae bhagath karaavaniaa ||2||
Night and day, sing the Songs of the Guru's Bani; worship the Lord with intuitive devotion. ||2||

anadhin har saevihu sachee baanee har jeeo sabadh milaaeidhaa

saas saas man naam samhaarai eihu bisraam nidhh paaee ||1||
With each and every breath, my mind remembers the Naam, the Name of the Lord; in this way, it finds the treasure of peace. ||1||

so aaraadhhae saas saas piaarae raam naam liv laaeiaa ||1||
He worships the Lord in adoration with each and every breath, O Beloved; he is lovingly attached to the Lord's Name. ||1||

saas saas simro gobind man antar ki utrai chind

so like why did guru sahib give me naam drirh .. if I am supposed to sleep... like seriously.. like I feel like I am being mislead here.. and I thought
like gurmatbibek I would be taught gurmat things..not manmat..i really trusted this website.. but now i don't trust it anymore... whoknows

Like please just tell me how to fight it.. and not how to do it.. I know when I am tired .. I want to sleep.. automatically.. but sleeping from this thuk is obviousy in your face not allowed.. this gurbaani line slaps me in the face everytime I see it.. and hear your are telling me tat

' its okay to sleep"

Like ever since I have taken amrit I have been asking around how do I get rid of sleep.. and like everybody has been telling me this same answer
sleep is necessary.. you should sleep early.. and then you will be able to get up.. okay cmon.. like even a manmukh scientist could tell me that
like BIOLOGY tells me that. circadian rhythm.. and all tat melatonin gandagee.. and

but I cant believe you..

I feel extremely frustrated.. and I want to know the truth.. once and for all...

and like what drives me even more insane is that MB SINGH agrees with gyaani ji .. and says sleep is a physiological requirement

and like is guru sahib crazy for saying

kabeer soothaa kiaa karehi jaag roe bhai dhukh ||

Kabeer, what are you doing sleeping? Wake up and cry in fear and pain.

So like I am asking hwo to fight this desire to sleep and remain engrossed in maya.. and you are all telling me sleep is
a "PHYSIOLOGICAL REQUIREMENT"

Like i was not born yesterday

i really wasn't

i have a brain.. and i read gurbaani.. and i may not be brightest and doing uchaaran and santhiyaa of gurbaani
but I know English...like English i speak everyday..

Kabeer what are you doing sleeping? Wake up and cry in fear in pain!!!

Like i should sbe waking up and crying and fearing in pain... and not be sleeping

this makes me scared...

MB Singh.. you said sleep is a metaphor for ignorance and vices.. if that is true then

why
why
why
why
why

is it that when i get up and do naam abhiyaas ..for lets say 2 hours.. and i feel so light.. i feel vikaars burden taken off my head.. i feel like i could fly and touch the sky and come back

and when i go back to sleep all the sudden my mind becomes fuzzy.. and i am like i feel like gandagi has gotten back into my mind from just sleeping 1 hour after amrit vela..

so like sleep is definitely not a metaphor for ignorance or 5 vices.. i don't see anything metaphorical about it

i may not be a gyaani ji or the smartest cookie.. but i do have a brain and the common sense to see that sleep makes my vices go up again

ill sleep lets say 4 hours.. and spend the whole entire day sick.. and then get seriously sick but atleast my mind feels freer from vices..

like i don't get like people.. and this world..

like my common sense is telling me something.. and then i choose to ignore it and listen to you guys.. and tell my self yes
i need to sleep...
but like

iam not listening to you anymore...

seriously not listening

like sleep is stupid.. and you telling me thati need sleep is wrong.. and immoral

everysingle line of gurbaani and my life experience.. i may not be a bazurag singh.. but i do have experiences on a day to day basis of amrit vela and

if i did study on hwo sleep affected my vices

there iwould be a positive correlation 1.00... technically sleeping.. that SLEEP = MORE VICES

100% correlation

i have been studying my self over the past year.. u know just took amrit.. and was told i need to do minimum 2.5 hours naam abhiyaas everyday.. and have been a complete struggle and mess.. .. and i am barely like bablancing everything and living..trying to follow panjaa da hukam..the rehit that was given to me at amrit sanchaar...

and here you are telling me sleep is a metaphor for ignorance and vices

so you see THERE IS NO LOGIC IN THE SLEEP IS THE PHYSIOLOGICAL NEED....like hunger

and if i could just get advice on how to be rid of my sleep it would be good..

i don't want to be lied to .. because sleep as a need. .people telling my that is a blatant lie...

because with my own eyes and ears i hear tht you should remember guru sahib day and night.. and to get rid of your homai

and i read bhai kulbir singh ji's article that desiring to touch somebody and to desire anybody that is homai too...

and that moh is homai.. and that is all kaam..

and stuff...

so i am trying to piece puzzles together here to figure out what in the world is right and what in the world does guru sahib want from me
and here you are confusing me and t3elling me sleep is a

"PHYSIOLOGICAL REQUIREMENT"

Please explain yourself : I Demand it

because god is genderless. and in order to be genderless we cant be desiring people..

guru sahib says

vin tudh hor je mangana sir dukha ke dukh deh naam santokiyaa utrae man ki bukh

so if we have anxiety at night and we ask for sleep saada sir.. our head is going to burdened with pain and dukhaa..

the only thing that can satisfy this all hungry.. mind. is to jap naam..

and so

i have also heard of ajapa jaaap.. from akj.org.. in which people jap naam with every part of their body.. and they can close their eyes and just be engrossed in naam.. and be in samaadhi..

so like you are wrong.wrong.wrong.wrong.wrong.

i am sorry for saying you are wrong when you tell me sleep is a physiological requirement...

but i am using my head.. and putting things together.. and the answer that comes to me is that you are wrong...

So like could somebody just tell me what is truly right??
and not what a girl should be doing? Somehwo i feel people think that girls need to be taken care of.. and need to rest.. and not fight homai

and that makes me mad.. because girls do not need to be taken care of.. and you don't need to be gentle..

and guru grnath sahibjee never differentiates between girls.. and guur sahib never said

singho: din rain saas saas gun gaava

it wasjust

DIN RAIN SAAs SAAS GUN GAVA For everybody

i think i have answered my own question

So like in total.. my logical conclusion is that the replies above are wrong.

bhul chuk muaaf karni jio

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa
Vaheguru ji ki Fateh
October 28, 2013 12:55PM
Waheguru JI Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Satkar Yog Gurmukh Bhein Ji, there is lot to learn from your experiences above said. We are here to learn from each other and get inspired. There is inspiration in your words. I feel so much sorry, if I am unable to prsent a correct version of Gurmat to you. Please ignore that, if it is unable to convince.

After reading your words, I remember the chapter in book JAIL CHITHIAN; where Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Ji tells us about his condition when he was in the process of NAAM DRIRR, at Abotabaad. That is interesting reading. Bhai Sahib Ji was without food and without sleep, for some days at a strech. His assistant or fellow gursikh veer wanted to give him food and requested him to have that. Bhai Sahib Ji avoided that, but he did feel the motive of his fellow gursikh. And ultimately, Bhai Sahib Ji achieved, what he aspired, after all that AVSTHA.

Guru Sahib will HIMSELF guide you and to us, too.

Bhai Veer Singh Ji says in his poetry, "The eyes, which have craving for HIS DARSHAN, weep days and nights and they know not, what sleep is."

Life is shortening and we need to be awake, as lot is to be done.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.
Bibi Jio,

Answer is very simple, we have to do more Naam Kamaiyee while we are awake (physically).

As Daas understood there are no sleep requirements per Gurmat, one can sleep (physical rest) for 15min and then can be fresh for next 12hrs.

All Puratan Singhs used to say that one has to be engaged in Naam Abhiyaas most of the time soon after getting Naam Drrirh. 2hrs in the morning are not enough. It merely gives your lips wet but not perpetual motion.

After massive Naam Abhiyaas Kamaiyee which starts initially from Rasna then progresses to Surat, only then perpetual motion condition comes in which while sleeping (physical rest) Naam still continue. When you wakeup from physical rest state you will feel that you never slept because your Surat was still enganged in Naam Abhiyaas but body feels lighter as feather. GurSikh dire to use this body (vessel) to do Naam Abhiyaas at the extreme.

ਇਹੁ ਸਰੀਰੁ ਕਰਮ ਕੀ ਧਰਤੀ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮਥਿ ਮਥਿ ਤਤੁ ਕਢਈਆ ॥
ਲਾਲੁ ਜਵੇਹਰ ਨਾਮੁ ਪ੍ਰਗਾਸਿਆ ਭਾਂਡੈ ਭਾਉ ਪਵੈ ਤਿਤੁ ਅਈਆ ॥੨॥ (ਪੰਨਾ ੮੩੪)

Of cource there are hurdles of Maya like sleep, hunger, other Dukh Sukh and Vikaars etc. But the only and only universal tool Sikh has is NAAM DA KHANDA ਇਸਨੂੰ ਜਿੰਨਾ ਹੋ ਸਕੇ ਜਿਥੇ ਹੋ ਸਕੇ ਵਾਹੀ ਜਾਉ then that stage comes when you can feel that I fought back with sleep and Vikaars.

We shouldn't think too much about Vikaars as they are keep coming back. They will continue as one think more of them. Never even challenge them thinking that I am Sikh now and I can kill you. No, it's not that easy. They are attached to our mind from hundreds, thousands and millions of birth cycles. They don't come in control so easily. Only way to control them is massive Naam Abhiyaas Kamiyee. Once vested Naam Kamaiyee reached it's required state they will come under contorl automatically one by one.

Don't put yourself on test yet, it's not the time to see the power of Naam. When time comes Guru Sahib will take test themselves to check one's Sikhi.
October 28, 2013 07:34PM
Thank you for your answer bhai jasjit singh jee

I am sorry for getting angry mb singh veer jee
a lot of frustration in trying to figure out the right path.. and I don't want to make any errors because this janam came after a lot a lot of suffering and a lot of lifetimes....
and I am not satkaryog or gurmukhh.. I am still trying to become gurmukh..

what did you mean don't put yourself to test yet?

What test am I putting myself through?

how does gurusahib test one's sikhi?

And another thing mbveerjee.. We cannot crave his darshan if we are not worthy of his darshan...we should aim to get a lot of naam kamayee and rid ourselves of our ego.. before we can even think about craving anything

we have to make ourselves worthy.. so that our minds blossom.. when it happens

in bhai sahib bhai randhir singh jees amrit ki hai.. I read this story that really stuck to me.. about a singh who took amrit before he was ready.. he considered himself soo spiritually advanced.. and thought he was so great..bhai randhir singh jee said.. that you are not.. and that you have to really really crave and want amrit... so that once that boond of amrit hits your mind.. the guruguru starts going .. and never stops

in the same way

weeping at night.. really is quite impractical

best thing to do is to do naam abhiyaaas... as bhai jasjit singh ji says.. and use our vessels to do extreme amounts of naam abhiyaas to make mayaa da jaal and traps go away..

so we don't feel things like homai... and so that we don't ever have to feel hunger.. and thirst and really

those are all things mayadharis feel.. and our goal should be to get out of that jaal...

crying day and night is a waste of time..

really think about what guru sahib wants.. and what guru granth sahib jee is asking from gursikhs

guru gobind singh jee gave guru granth sahib jee as our eternal master

it is our job as Sikhs to look at it and read it and ask lots and lots of questions.. so that we accomplish what guru sahib desires us to accomplish within this precious life

there is no sukh in maya... your thirst is neverever fulfilled..

so we have to jap naam I guess

anyway

bhul chuk muaaf

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa
Vaheguru ji ki Fateh

"what did you mean don't put yourself to test yet? What test am I putting myself through? how does gurusahib test one's sikhi?"

Bibi jio, you described the answer very well in your last post especially the quote you mentioned from Bhai Sahib's book. In regards to test by Guru Sahib, this is in-between Guru and His Sikh what this moorakh can describe. One has to experience it.

Bottom line is keep your focus on Naam Abyiaas leave alone the effects of Maya. Here is yet another beautiful Gur-Phurman for us:

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਰਸਨ ਨਿਤ ਜਾਪੈ ॥
ਰੋਗ ਰੂਪ ਮਾਇਆ ਨ ਬਿਆਪੈ ॥੪॥
ਜਪਿ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸੰਗੀ ਸਭਿ ਤਾਰੇ ॥
ਪੋਹਤ ਨਾਹੀ ਪੰਚ ਬਟਵਾਰੇ ॥੫॥...
(ਪੰਨਾ ੭੬੦)
October 29, 2013 12:12PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Gurmukh Bhein Ji, the book and the chapter I referred to you, is different from the one, you have quoted. Please do read that chapter, from JAIL CHITHIAN, if you have not so far. That is very inspiring.

Secondly, about NEEND (Sleep), below I am trying to categorise different thoughts we see in GURBANI. Please, do not take my effort as related to your post or questions simply. I am doing so, for common interests of all readers here, including me. I am not giving the exact Gurbani as examples in each category for want of time. I assume that most of our readers here, know those GURBANI shabads.

1. NEEND or sleep with physical meanings.

(a) Gurbani telling us, to have a little sleep only or to discard the hunger for sleep; in order to have more of SIMRAN.

(b) Gurbani telling us, how the blessed souls, have consistent SIMRAN in their body system, whether awake or sleeping.

(c) Gurbani telling about a "pleasent sleep" after the soul bride has tasted the NAAM RASS or met the AKAL PURAKH.

(d) Gurbani Shabad saying welcome to the sleep, because it may give a chance to have closeness of PRABHU in dreams.

2. NEEND or sleep in non physical meanings.

(a) Gurbani telling us that while living with VIKAARs, the body and mind is in DEEP SLEEP, though physically awake.

(b) Away from GURMAT, it is all sleep.

Guru Sahib knows our fate and SIMRAN is purely HIS blessing. We can pray at the most.

Bhul Cuk Muaaf Hove Ji
October 30, 2013 09:24AM
Food causes sleep..because once I was so busy doing chores, I did not eat, and was able to get thru Amritvela without feeling sleepy at all ji
October 30, 2013 08:50PM
MB Singh, as far as I know,

Like why state something if you are not goingto back it up with gurbaani... you shouldn't say it at all.. because that is like not gurus words.. gurus mat that your discussing..it is your own mind that you are discussing. your own mind's mat your talking about

like there should be no laziness when talking about gurmat related matters...."for want of time" that was quite disturbing to me ?

there is absolutely know such thing as pleasant sleep after bride has met akal purakh or tasted naam ras? What in the world is that all about

naam rass and meeting akal purakh are not synonymous..two very different things

like guru sahib talks about har ras.. but never really naam ras..like I have never ever heard of that...

har ras peevahu bhaaee ||

Drink in the sublime essence of the Lord, O Siblings of Destiny.

nwmu jphu nwmo AwrwDhu gur pUry kI srnweI ] rhwau ]

naam japahu naamo aaraadhhahu gur poorae kee saranaaee || rehaao ||

Chant the Naam, the Name of the Lord; worship the Naam in adoration, and enter the Sanctuary of the Perfect Guru. ||Pause||

iqsih prwpiq ijsu Duir iliKAw soeI pUrnu BweI ]

thisehi paraapath jis dhhur likhiaa soee pooran bhaaee ||

Only one who has such pre-ordained destiny receives it; he alone becomes perfect, O Siblings of Destiny.

nwnk kI bynµqI pRB jI nwim rhw ilv lweI ]2]25]89]

naanak kee baena(n)thee prabh jee naam rehaa liv laaee ||2||25||89||

Nanak's prayer, O Dear God, is to remain lovingly absorbed in the Naam. ||2||25||89||

I dont' think there is a single line of gurbaani that says that:

If a bride has met with akal purakh... he/she should be in anand.. sleeping is like not something that happens after it

pria sio preeth n oulattai kabehoo jo thai bhaavai saaee ||2||

O my Beloved, my love for You shall never end, if it is Your Will. ||2||

nId geI haumY qin QwkI sc miq irdY smweI ]3]

needh gee houmai than thhaakee sach math ridhai samaaee ||3||

Sleep is gone, and egotism is exhausted from my body; my heart is permeated with the Teachings of Truth. ||3||

I will give you another line MB singh jee,

jYqsrI mÚ 4 ]

jaithasaree ma 4 ||

Jaitsree, Fourth Mehla:

hm bwirk kCUA n jwnh giq imiq qyry mUrK mugD ieAwnw ]

ham baarik kashhooa n jaaneh gath mith thaerae moorakh mugadhh eiaanaa ||

I am Your child; I know nothing about Your state and extent; I am foolish, idiotic and ignorant.

hir ikrpw Dwir dIjY miq aUqm kir lIjY mugDu isAwnw ]1]

har kirapaa dhhaar dheejai math ootham kar leejai mugadhh siaanaa ||1||

O Lord, shower me with Your Mercy; bless me with an enlightened intellect; I am foolish - make me clever. ||1||

myrw mnu AwlsIAw auGlwnw ]

maeraa man aalaseeaa oughalaanaa ||

My mind is lazy and sleepy.

Here is another one,

soie rhI pRB Kbir n jwnI ]

soe rehee prabh khabar n jaanee ||

She remains asleep, and does not know the news of God.

Boru BieAw bhuir pCuqwnI ]1]

bhor bhaeiaa bahur pashhuthaanee ||1||

The day dawns, and then, she regrets. ||1||

From this line it clearly states that sleep=homai

homai is ego...

where there is sleep there is homai
where there is no sleep there is no homai

And then you said outside of gurmat it is all sleep... well there is no such concept of sleep in gurmat... so in total

sleep is not gurmat...

aasaa mehalaa 5 ||

Aasaa, Fifth Mehla:

siqguru Apnw sd sdw sm@wry ]

sathigur apanaa sadh sadhaa samhaarae ||

I contemplate, forever and ever, the True Guru;

gur ky crn kys sMig Jwry ]1]

gur kae charan kaes sa(n)g jhaarae ||1||

with my hair, I dust the feet of the Guru. ||1||

jwgu ry mn jwgnhwry ]

jaag rae man jaaganehaarae ||

Be wakeful, O my awakening mind!

ibnu hir Avru n Awvis kwmw JUTw mohu imiQAw pswry ]1] rhwau ]

bin har avar n aavas kaamaa jhoot(h)aa mohu mithhiaa pasaarae ||1|| rehaao ||

Without the Lord, nothing else shall be of use to you; false is emotional attachment, and useless are worldly entanglements. ||1||Pause||

gur kI bwxI isau rMgu lwie ]

gur kee baanee sio ra(n)g laae ||

Embrace love for the Word of the Guru's Bani.

guru ikrpwlu hoie duKu jwie ]2]

gur kirapaal hoe dhukh jaae ||2||

When the Guru shows His Mercy, pain is destroyed. ||2||

gur ibnu dUjw nwhI Qwau ]

gur bin dhoojaa naahee thhaao ||

Without the Guru, there is no other place of rest.

guru dwqw guru dyvY nwau ]3]

gur dhaathaa gur dhaevai naao ||3||

The Guru is the Giver, the Guru gives the Name. ||3||

guru pwrbRhmu prmysru Awip ]

gur paarabreham paramaesar aap ||

The Guru is the Supreme Lord God; He Himself is the Transcendent Lord.

AwT phr nwnk gur jwip ]4]16]67]

aat(h) pehar naanak gur jaap ||4||16||67||

Twenty-four hours a day, O Nanak, meditate on the Guru. ||4||16||67||

And then guru sahibaa also says aaath pehar araadhiyaai pooran satgur gyaan

Saas saaas simro gobind
man antar ki utrai chind

I am sorry but your are so wrong

I am sorry but you said that you were sure that most of the users know most gurbaani shabads to back some of your false statements up

Like im sorry but those few statements were wrong. and they could mislead naïve teenage gursikhs that are too lazy to look inside guru granth sahib jee for the answers

Don't mislead innocent and naïve people with your statements

Sorry for the harsh statements
but I am young and I could have been misleaded by how wrong you are.. and that is scary for me
because you only get this life once after a million years.. lakh choraasi joona

if you mess up now there is no fixing it.. you come back... as an animal in your next life..

kyo mooh dikhahogae dharam raaj nu...

there was a time when I trusted everything that was said on this forum with my eyes closed
that time is gone now

Id rather do khoj on my own now

Bhul chuk muaaf jio

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa
Vaheguru ji ki Fateh
October 31, 2013 12:22PM
ਸਖੀ ਨਾਲਿ ਵਸਾ ਅਪੁਨੇ ਨਾਹ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਸੰਗਿ ਹਿਲਿਆ ॥
ਸੁਣਿ ਸਖੀਏ ਮੇਰੀ ਨੀਦ ਭਲੀ ਮੈ ਆਪਨੜਾ ਪਿਰੁ ਮਿਲਿਆ ॥
ਭ੍ਰਮੁ ਖੋਇਓ ਸਾਂਤਿ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਪਰਗਾਸੁ ਭਇਆ ਕਉਲੁ ਖਿਲਿਆ ॥
ਵਰੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੋਹਾਗੁ ਨ ਟਲਿਆ ॥੪॥੪॥੨॥੫॥੧੧॥

O my mate, I now abide with my Beloved Husband. My Mind and body are domesticated with God.
Hear, O My friend, I have good sleep, since I have found my Darling Spouse.
My doubt is dispelled. I have obtained peace and rest. The Lord has appeared unto me and my heart-lotus has blossomed,
I have found the Lord, Searcher of hearts, as my Bridegroom, O Nanak, my married life shall never cease.

ਰਾਮਕਲੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ Ramkali 5th Guru.
ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਮੇਰਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰਾ ॥ Perfect is my Guru, my Guru is Perfect.
ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਹੇਲੇ ਸਗਲ ਬਿਨਾਸੇ ਰੋਗ ਕੂਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ Meditating on the Lord's Name, I am ever at peace and all my ailments and falsehood are eradicated. Pause.
ਏਕੁ ਅਰਾਧਹੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਸੋਇ ॥ Meditate thou on that True Lord alone.
ਜਾ ਕੀ ਸਰਨਿ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਇ ॥੧॥ In his refuge, ever-lasting peace is obtained.
ਨੀਦ ਸੁਹੇਲੀ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਲਾਗੀ ਭੂਖ ॥ When the mortal has hunger for the Lord's Name alone, he sleeps in peace.
ਹਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਬਿਨਸੇ ਸਭ ਦੂਖ ॥੨॥ Pondering over the Lord, all the agonies are eradicated.
ਸਹਜਿ ਅਨੰਦ ਕਰਹੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਭਾਈ ॥ Enjoy thou the celestial bliss, O my brother.
ਗੁਰਿ ਪੂਰੈ ਸਭ ਚਿੰਤ ਮਿਟਾਈ ॥੩॥ The Perfect Guru shall rid thee of all thy anxiety.
ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਾ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪਿ ॥ Utter thou the Lord's Name through all the eight watches,
ਨਾਨਕ ਰਾਖਾ ਹੋਆ ਆਪਿ ॥੪॥੨॥੫੮॥ and He shall Himself save thee, O Nanak.
October 31, 2013 12:54PM
ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ Bilawal 5th Guru.
ਰੋਗੁ ਗਇਆ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਆਪਿ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥ The ailment is past, the Lord Himself has cured it;
ਨੀਦ ਪਈ ਸੁਖ ਸਹਜ ਘਰੁ ਆਇਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ I sleep in peace and pleasure and poise have entered my home. Pause.
ਰਜਿ ਰਜਿ ਭੋਜਨੁ ਖਾਵਹੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਭਾਈ ॥ Eat to your fill and repletion O my brethren,
ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਰਿਦ ਮਾਹਿ ਧਿਆਈ ॥੧॥ contemplate ye in your mind the ambrosial Name of the Lord.
ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੇ ਸਰਨਾਈ ॥ Nanak has entered the sanctuary of the perfect Guru,
ਜਿਨਿ ਅਪਨੇ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਪੈਜ ਰਖਾਈ ॥੨॥੮॥੨੬॥ who has preserved the honour of His own Name.

ਅਗੈ ਗਈ ਨ ਮੰਨੀਆ ਮਰਉ ਵਿਸੂਰਿ ਵਿਸੂਰੇ ॥ But, when I go before my love, I am not accepted and I die of excessive sorrow.
ਮੈ ਰੋਵੰਦੀ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਰੁਨਾ ਰੁੰਨੜੇ ਵਣਹੁ ਪੰਖੇਰੂ ॥ I weep, the whole world weeps and even the birds of the forests weep with me.
ਇਕੁ ਨ ਰੁਨਾ ਮੇਰੇ ਤਨ ਕਾ ਬਿਰਹਾ ਜਿਨਿ ਹਉ ਪਿਰਹੁ ਵਿਛੋੜੀ ॥ But one thing, my Body's soul weeps not, which has separated me from my beloved.
ਸੁਪਨੈ ਆਇਆ ਭੀ ਗਇਆ ਮੈ ਜਲੁ ਭਰਿਆ ਰੋਇ ॥ He came to me in my dream and again went away, upon which I wept copious tears.
ਆਇ ਨ ਸਕਾ ਤੁਝ ਕਨਿ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਭੇਜਿ ਨ ਸਕਾ ਕੋਇ ॥ I cannot come to Thee, O my love, nor can I send any one.
ਆਉ ਸਭਾਗੀ ਨੀਦੜੀਏ ਮਤੁ ਸਹੁ ਦੇਖਾ ਸੋਇ ॥ Come, O fortunate sleep perhaps I may again, behold that Husband of mine (in dreams).

Gurmukh Bhein Ji, I may be wrong in giving some interpretations. Above, I have chosen, four GURBANI SHABADS, which I have thought about while giving category (c) and (d) in physical meanings of NEEND.

Secondly, please do note that I do not disagree with you in principle. All of us should, be ever ready, for SIMRAN. And say good bye to laziness or sleep.

Thirdly, I do feel that we Indian born aged sikhs, do not understand the situation in which young KHALSA is growing. Kindly forgive me for being in that class. There are so many true GURSIKHS, which give us guidance on this forum. That is valuable always. You will certainly be benefitted here. GURU AAP DE PREM NOO BHAAG LAYE.

Bhul Chuk Maaf Hove Ji.
October 31, 2013 04:18PM
Like I really appreciate the lines of gurbaani smiling smiley Thank yousmiling smiley

But I don't understand

the statement

indianbornagedsikhs and young khalsa

Like there is no indian in gursikhi. India should not play a role in how you follow the path of gursikhee

Sikhism is a universal religion.. people in mexico there are gursikhs.. There are gursikhs in Singapore and everywhere

why in the world do we have to use india as an excuse to expect less of women than men ( I HATE indian culture SEXISM)

This has to end! Like it makes me angry and upset how sexist indian culture is.. and the worst part is we women and singhniyaa just go along with it and do not fight it! people like ME that do raise their voices are put down( shut down very quickly)

Women are capable of much more than you think MB Jee.... Women have to be empowered.. and especially Sikh women have to be empowered to be strong.. and independent.. and great.. because just like men.. I know for a fact.. women can be great...by great
I do not mean better than men.. By great.. I mean great people.. like accomplish things in life.. and become something
have a career path
have a dream( under finding vaheguru of course)

think that women are not capable of being independent

because guru sahib bakshan.. I have a brain too

and I have opinions too

that id like to be heard

Id like to have an avastha too! Just like every other male gursikh on this forum

why differentiate between men and women

when dhan dhan dhan sri guru gobind singh sahib jee did not do so

bhul chuk muaaf jeeo

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa
Vaheguru ji ki Fateh
October 31, 2013 07:40PM
The sleep talked about in Gurbani I feel is to do with stages of our mind - this may be of help

[www.info-sikh.com]

as always Guru Maharaj Knows better
November 01, 2013 12:36PM
Thank you so much ns44 jee!

that really helped !

and made me understand life more
November 18, 2013 10:28AM
ਰਾਮਕਲੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ Ramkali 5th Guru.
ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਮੇਰਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰਾ ॥ Perfect is my Guru, my Guru is Perfect.
ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਹੇਲੇ ਸਗਲ ਬਿਨਾਸੇ ਰੋਗ ਕੂਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ Meditating on the Lord's Name, I am ever at peace and all my ailments and falsehood are eradicated. Pause.
ਏਕੁ ਅਰਾਧਹੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਸੋਇ ॥ Meditate thou on that True Lord alone.
ਜਾ ਕੀ ਸਰਨਿ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਇ ॥੧॥ In his refuge, ever-lasting peace is obtained.
ਨੀਦ ਸੁਹੇਲੀ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਲਾਗੀ ਭੂਖ ॥ When the mortal has hunger for the Lord's Name alone, he sleeps in peace.
ਹਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਬਿਨਸੇ ਸਭ ਦੂਖ ॥੨॥ Pondering over the Lord, all the agonies are eradicated.
ਸਹਜਿ ਅਨੰਦ ਕਰਹੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਭਾਈ ॥ Enjoy thou the celestial bliss, O my brother.
ਗੁਰਿ ਪੂਰੈ ਸਭ ਚਿੰਤ ਮਿਟਾਈ ॥੩॥ The Perfect Guru shall rid thee of all thy anxiety.
ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਾ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪਿ ॥ Utter thou the Lord's Name through all the eight watches,
ਨਾਨਕ ਰਾਖਾ ਹੋਆ ਆਪਿ ॥੪॥੨॥੫੮॥ and He shall Himself save thee, O Nanak.

In the above Shabad, the following pankiti, could be, with following two ways of pause. What the SANGAT thinks about it, ji.

ਨੀਦ ਸੁਹੇਲੀ,
ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਲਾਗੀ ਭੂਖ ॥
or
ਨੀਦ ਸੁਹੇਲੀ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ,
ਲਾਗੀ ਭੂਖ ॥
MB Veer Ji are you suggesting Naam in this pangti is a Dehli Deepak?
November 18, 2013 09:35PM
MB Singh jee,

Neend suhalee naam ki lagee bukh,

When you have thirst for naam. Your vikaars go away. I think in this gurbaani line the neend is insinuating the peace you get from doing naam abhiyaas. You sleep very very peacefully. Like when I do naam abhiyaas, I sleep very well when I don't do naam abhiyaas I get terrible sleep.

this is just from my own experience

Or it could mean that you are doing naam abhiyaas 24 by 7. And that even when you are sleeping your naam khanda is going. Therefore your sleep is very peaceful

"pleasent sleep" after the soul bride has tasted the NAAM RASS or met the AKAL PURAKH do not make any sense to me

Aao subhaagi neendariyae.. viewing vision of god in dreams. Neendariyae could refer to a dream like state.. that which you get from doing naam abhiyaas.. or just naam simran or path or whatever

you become dreamlike from remembering god
November 19, 2013 07:36AM
Waheguru wish I never had to sleep, because the jam ki farsi line around my neck is so obvious...for disobeying Punj Pyare Hukam..
yet to do 2 1/2 hour Naam MEDITATION / SIMRAN 2 years now...
November 19, 2013 10:03AM
ਨੀਦ ਸੁਹੇਲੀ, ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਲਾਗੀ ਭੂਖ
or
ਨੀਦ ਸੁਹੇਲੀ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ, ਲਾਗੀ ਭੂਖ

Sukhdeep Singh Veer Ji, it does not seem to be, Nam being "Dehri Deepak" here. You have to tell me, where should be the pause. As Bhein Ji has suggested some meanings; those seem to be in accordance with the pause as below.

ਨੀਦ ਸੁਹੇਲੀ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ, ਲਾਗੀ ਭੂਖ ॥

But most of the times pause is given, otherwise. ਨੀਦ ਸੁਹੇਲੀ, ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਲਾਗੀ ਭੂਖ ॥ ( e.g.When the mortal has hunger for the Lord's Name alone, he sleeps in peace.)

In the above Shabad, the following pankiti, could be, with following two ways of pause. What the SANGAT thinks about it, ji.

ਨੀਦ ਸੁਹੇਲੀ,
ਨਾਮ ਕੀ ਲਾਗੀ ਭੂਖ ॥
or
ਨੀਦ ਸੁਹੇਲੀ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ,
ਲਾਗੀ ਭੂਖ ॥

Veer Ji I think the first pangti makes more sense too me. I don't know what would be the meaning of the 2nd pangti. I think Naam here is without Aunkaar because of the presence of the preposition Kee and for this reason I think the phrase Naam Kee Laagee BHuk has to go together it does not seems right to put pause after Kee. But Im not fully sure on this pangti.

If it was a Dehli Deepak I don't think there would be a pause.
November 19, 2013 04:52PM
Okay grammar is awesome and all..

But lets look at life time experiences.. and not look at our books or grammar

because that makes more sense to do that

because gurbani isn't about "dehli deepaks" or whatever you call those things

preposition

I feel like I am in my ap lit comp class when I look at that post.. I already did that. and did well.. got a good grade too

Sleep is not for women or men for that reason.. Sleep and women do not coincide

All I am saying is I have provided enough enough like too much evidence.. that guru granth sahib jee does not look at sleep in a positive light..
maybe men do? but guru granth sahib jee.. the text does not love sleep

Like how can you not agree with me

needh gee houmai than thhaakee sach math ridhai samaaee ||3||

Sleep is gone, and egotism is exhausted from my body; my heart is permeated with the Teachings of Truth. ||3||

SLEEP IS GONE!! So homai( ego) homai means ego.. than thaakee.. gone.. homai is gone.. my heart.. sach math(true thought) is within my heart..
so like
seriously

sangat jee, . look at the FULL SHABAD PLEASE!

raamakalee mehalaa 5 ||

Raamkalee, Fifth Mehla:

guru pUrw myrw guru pUrw ]

gur pooraa maeraa gur pooraa ||

My Guru is perfect, my Guru is perfect.

rwm nwmu jip sdw suhyly sgl ibnwsy rog kUrw ]1] rhwau ]

raam naam jap sadhaa suhaelae sagal binaasae rog kooraa ||1|| rehaao ||

Chanting the Lord's Name, I am always at peace; all my illness and fraud is dispelled. ||1||Pause||

eyku ArwDhu swcw soie ]

eaek araadhhahu saachaa soe ||( WORSHIP AND ADORE) Don't meet akalpurakh.. just adore akal purakh) . Yeah soo.. I don't know what in the world you are talking about...Akal purakh will come and meet you.. when akal purakh feels like it.. yeah there is a panktee in gurbaani..

Worship and adore that One Lord alone.

jw kI srin sdw suKu hoie ]1]

jaa kee saran sadhaa sukh hoe ||1||

In His Sanctuary, eternal peace is obtained. ||1||

nId suhylI nwm kI lwgI BUK ]

needh suhaelee naam kee laagee bhookh ||

One who feels hunger for the Naam sleeps in peace.

hir ismrq ibnsy sB dUK ]2]

har simarath binasae sabh dhookh ||2||

Meditating in remembrance on the Lord, all pains are dispelled. ||2||(

shij Anµd krhu myry BweI ]

sehaj ana(n)dh karahu maerae bhaaee ||( THERE IS NOT SEHAJ ANAND WHEN YOU SLEEP AFTER MEETING AKAL PURAKH AND YOU JUST SLEEP) CELETIAL BLISS is beyond meeting with akal purakh.. celestial bliss( is like anhad shabad.. or like dasam duaar.. or like naam abhiyaas in sangat.. seriously..) Sleep( is so like for people with homai) I promise

Enjoy celestial bliss, O my Siblings of Destiny.

guir pUrY sB icMq imtweI ]3]

gur poorai sabh chi(n)th mittaaee ||3||

The Perfect Guru has eradicated all anxiety. ||3||( PEOPLE WITH ANXIETY HAVE HOMAI IN THEM.. THEREFORE HOMAI = SLEEP)just have to point that out

AwT phr pRB kw jpu jwip ]

aat(h) pehar prabh kaa jap jaap ||

Twenty-four hours a day, chant God's Chant.

( OKAY SO DO YOU REALLY THINK YOU CAN JAP NAAM 24 HOURS A DAY IF YOU SLEEP AFTER YOU MEET AKAL PURAKH)
PLEASE PLEASE)
and yes

MEN AND WOMEN CAN JAP NAAM 24 hours a day.. yeah.. its possible.. you just have to really want it.. and become guru sahib's soora.. soldier.. smiling smiley guru sahib says this

JA KO HAR RANG LAAGO ES JUGH MEH SO KAHIYAATH HAI SOORA!! Gurrooo

SO guru sahib is saying neend suhailee naam ki laagi bhook... You say Neend suhailee, naam ki lagai bhook
So japing naam is a type of sleep. a type of rest... because you are always japing naam.. sooo please don't tell me wrong things
I am a young woman.. I don't deserve wrong information.. and so you give me wrong information.. ill give you correct information

( andso you switch a comma somewhere. and say that akal purakh = best sleep..)
You are wrong..

NAAM mean GURMANTR( the one given to us at amrit sanchaar) like naam drirh( GURRROOOOOOOO VAHHHHGURRROoooo)
Not other things.not meeting with AKAL PURAKH.. THat isn't naam!!

So you are wrong.. in everyway possible

nwnk rwKw hoAw Awip ]4]2]58]

naanak raakhaa hoaa aap ||4||2||58||

O Nanak, He Himself shall save you. ||4||2||

SO guru sahib will save you by meeting with you and putting you to sleep.. yeah.. I can do that through sleep medication.. I can also go to they gym and work out for 3 hours.. and then I fall asleep just fine.. I promise..

if you study long enough.. for like atleast 7 hours straight.. you will crash.. just like that.. from the exertion to the brain.
I don't need to meet with akaal purakh to just sleep

I don't desire akal purakh for sleep..

So guru sahib says saas saas simroh gobind

jina saas giraas na visarai har namaa man manth

ek din sovan hoyae ko lambae gond pasaar

Din rain saas saas gun gaaava

din raati araadho pyaaro nimak na keejai dheela

Aath pehar aradhiyai pooran satgur gyaan

dukh bhanjan tera naam ji dukh bhanjan tera naam

So you tell me now

Do you still think that guru granth sahib jee.. and other posters know of other gurbaani lines that coincide with pleasant sleep obtained after meeting akal purakh?

Seriously I hit the nail on the wall.. Bullseye.. Can you please just agree with me? Like I know I am right. And you are like wrong.. and you started talking about grammar so I give up on this argument and let you win the argument....Even though i don't know much about gurmat grammar.. i know enough about English grammar to make out what you were saying in the last post sukhdeep singh jee. but I really cannot let this happen because you are wrong.. sorry.. bye

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa
Vaheguru ji ki Fateh
November 20, 2013 09:58AM

Bhein Ji
I personally feel convinced on the meanings you have suggested for this Gurbani Pankiti, as reproduced below. So it means you are giving pause as ਨੀਦ ਸੁਹੇਲੀ ਨਾਮ ਕੀ, ਲਾਗੀ ਭੂਖ ॥

Neend suhalee naam ki lagee bukh,
When you have thirst for naam. Your vikaars go away. I think in this gurbaani line the neend is insinuating the peace you get from doing naam abhiyaas. You sleep very very peacefully. Like when I do naam abhiyaas, I sleep very well when I don't do naam abhiyaas I get terrible sleep.
this is just from my own experience
Or it could mean that you are doing naam abhiyaas 24 by 7. And that even when you are sleeping your naam khanda is going. Therefore your sleep is very peaceful

So for the whole pankiti, we may have the meanings as " Naam dee Neend, when one has that type of Neend; that is SUHELI NEEND and I have got hunger for that type of Neend".

Bhein Ji, most of the times the meanings given are otherwise. Kirtani Singhs also sing this pankiti accordingly. So you have done it brillliantly. But, please do not ignore Gurbani Grammer, if it is there to help understand Gurbani. Gurbani grammer is GURMAT itself, because Guru Sahib has made it for us. We all should do some efforts to know some of it.

Sukhdeep Singh Veer Ji, is not this convincing ? Kindly do share.
November 21, 2013 05:22AM
Initially, I did not want to comment on this post. But 'singhni' jee, the way you are responding to the satkaryog members of this forum is really annoying! You may disagree with anyone's opinions, but atleast show some respect while replying to them. If one is taking out some time from their busy life to reply to your question, you should be thankful to them.

So firstly, please stop accusing everyone on this thread of being sexist. No one here has any concern whether the poster is male or female, except for how to address them (as Veer ji or as Bhain ji). If someone in your life is treating you differently because you're a girl, you have no right to take out that frustration on the members of this forum.

Regarding your original question, let us read the following Chhant,

ਭਿੰਨੀਰੈਨੜੀਐਚਾਮਕਨਿਤਾਰੇ॥
ਜਾਗਹਿਸੰਤਜਨਾਮੇਰੇਰਾਮਪਿਆਰੇ॥
ਰਾਮਪਿਆਰੇਸਦਾਜਾਗਹਿਨਾਮੁਸਿਮਰਹਿਅਨਦਿਨੋ॥
ਚਰਣਕਮਲਧਿਆਨੁਹਿਰਦੈਪ੍ਰਭਬਿਸਰੁਨਾਹੀਇਕੁਖਿਨੋ॥
ਤਜਿਮਾਨੁਮੋਹੁਬਿਕਾਰੁਮਨਕਾਕਲਮਲਾਦੁਖਜਾਰੇ॥
ਬਿਨਵੰਤਿਨਾਨਕਸਦਾਜਾਗਹਿਹਰਿਦਾਸਸੰਤਪਿਆਰੇ॥੧॥

So, talking about 'no sleep at all', that is an Avastha where Naam Abhyaas goes on so vigorously inside you, that you just don't sleep!
ਨੀਦਗਈਹਉਮੈਤਨਿਥਾਕੀਸਚਮਤਿਰਿਦੈਸਮਾਈ॥੩॥

Bhai MB Singh have already explained this with the incident from Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji's life.

Also, Bhai Rama Singh Ji has written about his own experience in his book:
"When I received Amrit, I went through the most unusual experience. While the Panj Piaray were teaching me the recitation of Naam, my eyes closed but I could "see" everything going on around me. Even afterwards, when I had gone home, simran continued with my every breath. I was not able to sleep that night. All night simran continued subconsciously. I felt as if a very bright lamp was glowing inside me. The brightness was like that of a flash of lightening. Only that the lightening vanishes after a few seconds, but this light inside me continued to shine on. It is very difficult to describe this experience.
When one experiences such enlightenment, there is much spiritual joy in reciting Naam. One feels like meditating continuously. The benefits of my previous meditations kept my inner light glowing for weeks, but all too soon, my work environment caused my mind to waver and the inner glow was turned off. Gursikhs undergo many unusual spiritual experiences. It is possible for the inner lamp to be lighted again. However, the vices of lust and anger are very powerful and they can extinguish this light. When one works hard against them, the lamp glows bright once more. And so this inner spiritual enlightenment glows or fades according to the influence of worldly vices. To keep it glowing, continuous Naam simran (see Glossary) is required. Those who have never done any simran, their spiritual lamps have never been lit; therefore, they are unable to light the inner lamp in others. Those saintly beings who have been sent by Satguru to preach, their spiritual lamps continue to glow bright. To attain salvation it is necessary to have an enlightened mind."

Now this daas would like to share what we see every year during Akhand Paath Sahib, a Gurmukh Pyaare who lives in Delhi and did sangat of Bhai Sahib Bhai Randir Singh Ji. I won't mention their name, as some members on this forum know them. They arrive before the Arambh and leave just after the Bhog. In between, they don't sleep at all! If needed, they just lie down in the Akhand Paath Sahib room for some time to give their body some rest. Even then, they don't sleep! (And mortals like us go to sleep even while sitting. So pitiable!)

Conclusion: If we are not at 'that' Avastha, we need sleep. Simple!
We should not worrying too much about such things. What we are supposed to do is Naam Abhyaas. Rest everything will fall into place. smiling smiley
November 21, 2013 11:30AM
Professor Puran Singh Ji in his book "The Ten Masters" has used SLEEP word while translating Gurbani of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

ab mai apanee kathhaa bakhaano || thap saadhhath jih bidhh muhi aano ||
haem ku(n)tt parabath hai jehaa(n) || sapath sri(n)g sobhith hai thehaa(n) || 1 ||
sapath sri(n)g thih naam kehaavaa || pa(n)dd raaj jeh jog kamaavaa ||
theh ham adhhik thapaasiaa saadhhee || mehaa kaal kaalakaa araadhhee || 2 ||

I come down from the Hemkunta mountain of Seven Horns of Snow, where I lay in sleep of power and love in the Pure Being. The Beloved has sent me down; and I come, my being still pierced with the mystic light of His holy feet!
November 22, 2013 01:04PM
Sorry!!!

thanks for your help!!

I didn't mean to be rude..I am sorry .
I feel really guilty now;(
...I just love getting into debates about gurmat topics.and I think I got overly excitedsmiling smiley and yes gurbaani grammar is important and I will buy a book and read it.. . It excites me a lot

But sexism is definitely there.. whether iam bhenji or veerjee.. There is differentiation.. between vs. what females and males can accomplish in life..

there is no denying it.. you can deny it all you want.. but its not people in my life are treating me differently.. I have noticed in my life.. in my few years I have lived that everybody seems to be treating you differently because you are a bhenjee or a girl.... whether it be within novels..whether it be within the internet.. cyberinteratios. social interactions.. interactions with teachers.. the way society is structured in general.. seems to be putting women in a difficult position.. in which achievement. and progress is difficult because of the way people talk.

I may have argued and yelled a little bit.. but.. I just feel that I cannot accomplish as much as id like to in life.. and guru sahib is not going to do kirpa on me... because of what mb singh said.. so I felt kind of afraid.. for my lifen.. and so I had to fight that feeling of inadequacy.. and argue my point.. and not change.. because guru granth sahib jee is telling me one thing.. and singhs are telling me another.. so this incongruency.. this led to a lack of harmony within my mind.. which made me have to argue my point..

because I want to believe in the IMPOSSIBLE... And so we believe in the impossible.. and we accomplish the impossible.. because I have been separated from the supreme one for so long.. i want to accomplish as much as possible.. and be an overachiever.. in gursikhee.. because we got this life after so long..So i gotta be an A+student!!!smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley not a B+ or an A-.. AN A+ STUDENTsmiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley .

ANd I want to believe that guru sahib can do kirpa on me..and if I had believed in your points.. then I would have changed my perception about my life

So you see it is not as simple as accusing everybody of sexism.. it is a matter of how you view your life. .versus other.s. and you you view yourself in comparison to your other veera.. ( brothers) and when somebody says something that makes you view it in a darker light.. and makes you feel inferior.. you feel that you have to make your point.. so that people understand you.. and that you can tlel yourself that you are not a odd person..or weird.. or out of place.

sorry but this is just my opinion: I am not accusing everybody, but i just see it.. and it makes me want to say something

so i say it

I am so sorry for the long posts and arguments. .I am done for a while now.I don't have any more questions.. I think I am good now.. I feel satisfied.. my brain feels satisfied with the knowledge i got..

Thank you so much

Bye

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa
Vaheguru i ki Fateh
November 23, 2013 03:21PM
Bhenjee,

Even Bhai Randhir Singh jee used to recommend to his companions to nap after amritvela before getting up to work, in order to catch up on the sleep they didn't get during the night. I have no idea what Bhai Sahib's own sleeping habits were but the reality is that they were a brahmgiyani... we are not. Our bodies have limitations as per the hukam of Vaheguru and we have to make sure we take care of our bodies so we can engage in bhagti with focus.

As Bh Sukhdeep Singh has pointed out, Guru Amardaas Ji gave us practical hukam on eating and sleeping. Guru Sahib's bachan was:
"Eat when you are hungry. Don’t fill what is already filled. But don’t abandon food either. Sleep when you feel very sleepy. Don’t sleep without feeling tired. Don’t pain your body."

Sometimes sleep can be annoying, but we have to make sure we are not depriving ourselves of proper rest either. As you do more and more paath and naam abhiyaas you will find that you get less tired. If you also want to be less dependent on sleep, make sure you are eating properly. When you don't eat enough your body is naturally going to be more tired and you will find yourself battling even more with sleep. I would recommend 3 proper meals a day, or small meals every 3 hours.

The reason we need to sleep is that it is hukam of Vaheguru that as humans our bodies require that rest. The way you know that you are resting enough is how you feel during amritvela. If you are waking up on time for amrtivela and are able to do your amritvela with focus without getting sleepy, then your body has gotten as much rest as it needs for your avastha level. If you are falling asleep during amritvela or waking up late, then one of the reasons may be that your body needs more sleep. What's the point of depriving yourself of sleep if your amritvela is just going to suffer? Also, think of it practically. Guru Sahib gave hukam to GET UP/WAKE UP during amritvela ... Guru Sahib also gave us a bani (Sohila Sahib) to do before going to sleep at night... so wouldn't that mean that Guru Sahib did not view sleep negatively, if he gave us a schedule conducive to sleeping before amritvela?

Please take care of yourself Singhni Ji! Everyone is only here to help you.
November 24, 2013 06:56AM
SK ji is right Singhni ji..
because I am always sleepy at Amritvela...i sleep almost midnight...and though my eyes mostly open at my Hukam Amritvela of 1.30 am...cannot even finish my nitnem hours later ji...
I believe our beloved Singhs on this forum are protective of us ji...which is what we should value as it is so precious (with our kaum so fragmented)...especially when Gurmukh Singho inspiration, guidance...is blessings we need because they have much kamai ji (remember you advise Singhni Miripir?)...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login