ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Colour

Posted by Hum Kookar 
Re: Colour
December 10, 2010 05:43PM

Some Gursikhs here have quoted Gurbani Pankitis that say that all colours are of Vaheguru, He created all colours and He is in all colours; therefore, it must be okay to wear these colours. If we use this line of argument, one could argue that Vaheguru created tobacco and poppy seeds; therefore it is okay to consume these drugs. The conclusion is that use of such Gurbani Pankitis to make the point that wearing Red and Green is okay, is not right
.Dhannvaad veerjee. Very rightly and appropriately put. Once again you have visualized things from an angle I could never comprehend. Now everything falls in place. Its all about context.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
December 10, 2010 05:46PM

Baba Banda Singh Jee Bahadur and his army's wearing of red was one of the reasons for the split with Tatt Khalsa.

the primary reasons were that the "tat" khalsa supported meat eating and consumption of bhang. i believe the color was simply to distinguish one from the other.

Those who are quoting Gurbani pangtees in their support should think very carefully as to what they are tying to infer. There's a lot of stuff the SGPC Rehat doesn't mention but we have no problem following that, then as soon as something we don't like pops up, it's "Oh, the panth approved rehat maryada doesn't mention that". With the logic some Gursikhs are using in this thread, we could say if Vaheguru Jee created all animals why don't we just eat all of them?

ok, if you don't see a difference between wearing clothing and eating meat (a bujjar kurehet), i'm not sure how to explain it. suffice to say, gurbani says not to eat animals, and gurbani is always right.

i'll assume that by "SGPC" rehet you mean the panth approved sikh rehet maryada. last i checked, AKJ was part of the panth. we don't have our own separate rehet maryada document for a reason.
there are a few points we add to or clarify in the panthic maryada. those are described by the panj piyaras at the time of amrit. yes, we add two banis to our nitnem, we add keskee as a kakkar, and we clarify that kutha means meat (not halal). that's not a huge departure. never do the panj tell us the rest of the document is invalid, nor do they tell us to follow some questionable historical rehetnamay either in part or full.

if wearing red prevents you from doing naam simran, then don't wear it. but why try to enforce that on others with stories of "hell"?
December 10, 2010 05:50PM

He created all colours and He is in all colours; therefore, it must be okay to wear these colours. If we use this line of argument, one could argue that Vaheguru created tobacco and poppy seeds; therefore it is okay to consume these drugs.

am i the only one who sees a difference between committing a bujjar kurehet and wearing colorful clothing? i don't know how you can even compare consumption of drugs with one's color preference. it's completely illogical.

sorry for disagreeing with you, but i can't wrap my brain around these comparisons.
December 10, 2010 07:06PM
ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
Aasaa, Fifth Mehl:

ਗੁਨੁ ਅਵਗਨੁ ਮੇਰੋ ਕਛੁ ਨ ਬੀਚਾਰੋ ॥
He does not consider my merits or demerits.

ਨਹ ਦੇਖਿਓ ਰੂਪ ਰੰਗ ਸੀਗਾਰੋ ॥
He does not look at my beauty, color or decorations.

ਚਜ ਅਚਾਰ ਕਿਛੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਨੀ ॥
I do not know the ways of wisdom and good conduct.

ਬਾਹ ਪਕਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਿਅ ਸੇਜੈ ਆਨੀ ॥੧॥
But taking me by the arm, my Husband Lord has led me to His Bed. ||1||

ਸੁਨਿਬੋ ਸਖੀ ਕੰਤਿ ਹਮਾਰੋ ਕੀਅਲੋ ਖਸਮਾਨਾ ॥
Hear, O my companions, my Husband, my Lord Master, possesses me.

ਕਰੁ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਧਾਰਿ ਰਾਖਿਓ ਕਰਿ ਅਪੁਨਾ ਕਿਆ ਜਾਨੈ ਇਹੁ ਲੋਕੁ ਅਜਾਨਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Placing His Hand upon my forehead, He protects me as His Own. What do these ignorant people know? ||1||Pause||

ਸੁਹਾਗੁ ਹਮਾਰੋ ਅਬ ਹੁਣਿ ਸੋਹਿਓ ॥
My married life now appears so beauteous;

ਕੰਤੁ ਮਿਲਿਓ ਮੇਰੋ ਸਭੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਜੋਹਿਓ ॥
my Husband Lord has met me, and He sees all my pains.

ਆਂਗਨਿ ਮੇਰੈ ਸੋਭਾ ਚੰਦ ॥
Within the courtyard of my heart, the glory of the moon shines.

ਨਿਸਿ ਬਾਸੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਿਅ ਸੰਗਿ ਅਨੰਦ ॥੨॥
Night and day, I have fun with my Beloved. ||2||

ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਹਮਾਰੇ ਰੰਗਿ ਚਲੂਲ ॥
My clothes are dyed the deep crimson color of the poppy.

ਸਗਲ ਆਭਰਣ ਸੋਭਾ ਕੰਠਿ ਫੂਲ ॥
All the ornaments and garlands around my neck adorn me.

ਪ੍ਰਿਅ ਪੇਖੀ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਪਾਏ ਸਗਲ ਨਿਧਾਨ ॥
Gazing upon my Beloved with my eyes, I have obtained all treasures;

ਦੁਸਟ ਦੂਤ ਕੀ ਚੂਕੀ ਕਾਨਿ ॥੩॥
I have shaken off the power of the evil demons. ||3||

ਸਦ ਖੁਸੀਆ ਸਦਾ ਰੰਗ ਮਾਣੇ ॥
I have obtained eternal bliss, and I constantly celebrate.

ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਗ੍ਰਿਹ ਮਹਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਾਨੇ ॥
With the nine treasures of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, I am satisfied in my own home.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਉ ਪਿਰਹਿ ਸੀਗਾਰੀ ॥
Says Nanak, when the happy soul-bride is adorned by her Beloved,

ਥਿਰੁ ਸੋਹਾਗਨਿ ਸੰਗਿ ਭਤਾਰੀ ॥੪॥੭॥
she is forever happy with her Husband Lord. ||4||7||
December 10, 2010 07:41PM
ੴਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹ॥

Sangat Jio,

Waheguru Ji ka khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

Daas was trying to stay away from this suppose to be colorful discussion but equating wearing red or green color Dastaars or one’s outfit of those two colors to eating meat or consuming tobacco is not a wise statement. One must remember that Singhs wore these colors in difficult times for Panthic cause. Not long ago just remember the militancy years of Panjab. We should not even think that those Singhs who fought for Panthic cause were Bajjar Kurehatya because some time they had to wear red or green Dastaars and tied their beard.

I strongly agree that the preferable out fit color of khalsa are blue, basanti, white and black but that does not mean wearing other colors makes one a Bujjer Kurehatya. Bujjer Kurehat is if someone commits cutting of hair, eating meat, consuming intoxicants (which includes liquor, Afeem, Bhang etc.) and commit adultery. These are four types of Bujjer kurehats which brings one to Narak not wearing red or green color. Generally, GurSikhs avoid wearing these two colors and that is best for all of us.

With Regards,
Daas
December 10, 2010 07:44PM

am i the only one who sees a difference between committing a bujjar kurehet and wearing colorful clothing? i don't know how you can even compare consumption of drugs with one's color preference. it's completely illogical.

If you read carefully, no where in my post did I compare wearing colourful clothes with consumption of drugs. All I tried to convey was that if we use the argument that since Vaheguru jee created all colours and that he is in all colours, therefore it is okay to wear all colours then we also have to accept that since Vaheguru jee created drugs, so it would okay to indulge in them. How is this comparing Red colour to a Bajjar Kurehit?

The use of Gurbani Pankitis to make the point that there is nothing wrong in wearing all colours, was not right because the message of those Gurbani Pankitis is something else and is not about which colours are allowed and which one are not.

Another point is that Bhai Nandlal jee's Rehitnama on wearing Red cannot be ignored because it clearly says that wearing Sooha (Red) would result in Jamm giving trouble:

ਸੂਹਾ ਪਹਿਨ ਲਏ ਨਸਵਾਰ, ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਜਮ ਕਰੈ ਖੁਆਰ (10)
(Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee has stated that one who wears Sooha (Red) and consumes Nasvaar (tobacco) would get hurt by the Jamm.)

sorry for disagreeing with you, but i can't wrap my brain around these comparisons.

Bhain jee, there is nothing wrong in disagreeing with this insect.

Kulbir Singh
December 10, 2010 07:50PM
Bhai Jasjit Singh jeeo,

Daas was trying to stay away from this suppose to be colorful discussion but equating wearing red or green color Dastaars or one’s outfit of those two colors to eating meat or consuming tobacco is not a wise statement. One must remember that Singhs wore these colors in difficult times for Panthic cause. Not long ago just remember the militancy years of Panjab. We should not even think that those Singhs who fought for Panthic cause were Bajjar Kurehatya because some time they had to wear red or green Dastaars and tied their beard.

Bhai Sahib jee, you too misunderstood what I wrote. I did not compare wearing Red to a Bajjar Kurehit. I am reproducing what I wrote below for your reference:

Some Gursikhs here have quoted Gurbani Pankitis that say that all colours are of Vaheguru, He created all colours and He is in all colours; therefore, it must be okay to wear these colours. If we use this line of argument, one could argue that Vaheguru created tobacco and poppy seeds; therefore it is okay to consume these drugs. The conclusion is that use of such Gurbani Pankitis to make the point that wearing Red and Green is okay, is not right.

All I am saying above is that this line of argument that since Vaheguru jee made all colours, so it is okay to wear all colours, is not right and that if we are to take this line of argument then we have to accept that everything that Vaheguru jee created is okay for a Gursikh to consume or do.

Kulbir Singh
December 10, 2010 08:59PM
I have quoted Bhai Daya Singh Jis rehatnama wrong the actual rehatnama is

੧ ਸੁਰਮਈ ੨ ਸਵਯੇ ੩. ਪੀਤ ੪ ਹਰਤ ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਧਾਰੇ ।ਬਸਤ੍ਰ ਕਸੁੰਭੇ ਕੋ ਨ ਪਹਿਰਹਿ
Guru Sahib says wear fresh akali blue, white, or yellow attire.
the bold clearly states do not wear red.
ਕਸੁੰਭੇ = red

Below is Bhai Randhir Singh Jis view on what Khalsa color is

ਖਾਲਸਾ ਜੀ ਦਾ ਪਹਿਰਾਵਾ ਸ਼ਸਤਰਾਂ ਸੁਰਮਈ ਅਕਾਲੀ ਬਸਤਰਾਂ ਦਾ ਅਤੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖੀ ਦਾੜਿਆ ਵਾਲੇ ਦਿਦਾਰਿਆ ਸਹਿਤ ਸਜੇ ਧਜੇ ਸੂਰਬੀਰਾਂ ਦਾ ਸ਼ਾਨ ਵਿਚ ਰਹਿਣਾ

- Gurmat Bibek
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.