ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What Gurmat/Gurbani Says abt the Dreams !!

Posted by gursewak 
I guess we all dream (sometimes they are good and sometimes bad) , sometimes they are related to what we been doing during the day and sometimes totally unrelated to anything. We also have heard several Sakhis where Guru Sahib did Kirpa over few Gursikhs by cutting their bad Karams in dreams. So just wondering what exactly Gurbani/or other Sikh literature says abt them !!

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
ਨਾਮ ਅਉਖਧੁ ਜਿਹ ਰਿਦੈ ਹਿਤਾਵੈ ॥
ਤਾਹਿ ਰੋਗੁ ਸੁਪਨੈ ਨਹੀ ਆਵੈ ॥

...One whose heart is filled
with the medicine of the Naam,
is not infested with
disease, even in his dreams.

ਸੁਪਨੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਨ ਦੇਖਨੀ ਬਹੁ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਪਰਜਾਲੇ ॥੩॥
Even in their dreams, they find no peace; they are consumed by the fires of intense anxiety. ||3||

ਸੁਤੜੇ ਸੁਖੀ ਸਵੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ਜੋ ਰਤੇ ਸਹ ਆਪਣੈ ॥
...They alone sleep and dream in peace, who are imbued with the Love of their Husband Lord.

ਵਿਣੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪਰਤੀਤਿ ਨ ਆਵਈ ਨਾਮਿ ਨ ਲਾਗੋ ਭਾਉ ॥ਸੁਪਨੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਨ ਪਾਵਈ ਦੁਖ ਮਹਿ ਸਵੈ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੨॥
Without the True Guru, faith does not come, and love for the Naam is not embraced.
Even in dreams, they find no peace; they sleep immersed in pain. ||2||

ਜਿਉ ਸੁਪਨੈ ਨਿਸਿ ਭੁਲੀਐ ਜਬ ਲਗਿ ਨਿਦ੍ਰਾ ਹੋਇ ॥ਇਉ ਸਰਪਨਿ ਕੈ ਵਸਿ ਜੀਅੜਾ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਦੋਇ ॥

In their dreams at night, people wander around as long as they sleep;
just so, they are under the power of the snake Maya, as long as their hearts are filled with ego and duality.

ਜਾ ਕੈ ਹਰਿ ਵਸਿਆ ਮਨ ਮਾਹੀ ॥ਤਾ ਕਉ ਦੁਖੁ ਸੁਪਨੈ ਭੀ ਨਾਹੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Those whose minds are filled with the Lord,
do not suffer pain, even in dreams. ||1||Pause||

ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਧੰਧੈ ਵਿਆਪਿਆ ਸੁਪਨੈ ਭੀ ਸੁਖੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥i.
Night and day, he is engrossed in worldly affairs, and even in his dreams, he finds no peace.

By reading the following Pangtis one thing for sure is the more Naam Abhyiaas one does the more peace one gets in their dreams. If we are having bad dreams this can be an indication that we are lacking in focused Naam Abhyiaas.
Thanks VG for sharing these beautiful Panktis. I was also intertested to know whats the source of these dreams. Does Gurbani or Literature somehwre shares that ?

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
Generally dreams are based on our subconscious thinking which are a result of our past actions and thinking ( Karma). Much of our current thinking and the thoughts of our dreams are based on the permanent karma we have which cannot be erased. True, karma is destroyed through Naam , but there is certain Karma which is permanent and must eventually bare the consequences. We often wonder we do so much Naam Abhyiaas, sat- sangat, seva, etc but we still have bad dreams. Why is this the case?

ਸੁਪਨੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਨ ਪਾਵਈ ਦੁਖ ਮਹਿ ਸਵੈ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੨॥
ਜੇ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਕੀਚੈ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਲੋਚੀਐ ਕਿਰਤੁ ਨ ਮੇਟਿਆ ਜਾਇ ॥

Even in dreams, they find no peace; they sleep immersed in pain. ||2||Even if you chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, with great longing, your past actions are still not erased.

So much of our dreams are part of the permanent karma we are experiencing . People often feel burdened by this karma because its permanent unlike lighter bad karma which can easily be removed through Naam Abyiaas. Because Permanent Karma is so damaging to our spiritual health; we should be vigilant in the type of actions and thoughts that create permanent karma. So what are some of the things that bring bad Karma?

According to Bhai Nand Lal one who speaks bad about a Gurmukh Saint " ਸੰਤ ਸਿਖ ਕੋ ਬੁਰਾ ਅਲਾਵੈ" such people will suffer

greatly (ਮਹਾ ਦੁੱਖ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਿਸ ਕੋ ਕਾਲ)

The following pangti is an indication that slander of a Saint causes permanent karma even if its unintentional.

ਸੰਤ ਕੈ ਦੋਖਿ ਨ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਟੈ ਕੋਇ ॥ਜੈਸਾ ਭਾਵੈ ਤੈਸਾ ਕੋਈ ਹੋਇ ॥ਪਇਆ ਕਿਰਤੁ ਨ ਮੇਟੈ ਕੋਇ ॥

Slandering the Saint, no one attains satisfaction. As it pleases the Lord, so do people become; no one can erase their past actions.

There are many actions that lead to permanent karma and effect our dreams which include:
Drinking
Smoking
Pre- Marital Relations ( worsest of the worse)
Kes Beadbi
Causing suffering on sentient beings

it has been my experience that when listening to our reading the writings of Saintly Gurmukhs ones dreams becomes more peaceful. I like to read the life stories of Bhagat and writings of Gurmukhs like Bhai Gurdas Ji,Bhai Daya Singh Ji, Bhai Randhir SIngh JI, Baba Waryam Singh Ji, Sant Isher Singh, etc before Kirtan Sohila I noticed I have a more peaceful sleep when studying these writings with attention because these Gurmukhs have true love for Guru Sahib. Haha Im like a little baby who needs a good story or teaching before going to sleep.smiling bouncing smiley

Hopefully Guru Sahib gives us such a Gurmukh Jeevan that we collect so much kamaee that permanent karma cannot effect us in our dreams and when awake.smiling smiley
Bahut-2 Maehrabani veerji for such a nice explanatory post on this subject.

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login