ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dharam Dee Kirt

Posted by Daasandaas 
Dharam Dee Kirt
June 15, 2010 04:12AM
VaheguroojeekaakhalsaaVaheguroojeekeefatehhh....!!!

Saadh Sangat Jeeo...
The other day i was reading about Guroo Gobind Singh Jee's 52 Bachans and i came across one that says "Kirt Karnee Dharam Dee"..
Daas is confused... Can anyone please help me clearify this Bachan by Kalgeedhar Paatshaah....

VaheguroojeekaakhalsaVaheguroojeekeefatehhh...!!!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Dharam Dee Kirt
June 15, 2010 07:42AM
This is a very important Bachan - Kirt Karnee Dharam Dee. It essentially means to earn living through such means that are according to Gurmat. Here is what comes to mind with respect to Dharam dee Kirat:

1. Earn through honest means.

2. Every occupation that can be done honestly is not necessarily according to Gurmat also. Such occupation should be chosen to earn living that is not in clash with Gurmat principles. A person may be involved in the trade of tobacco employing honest means but this does not mean such trading would also qualify as Gurmat means of earning a living. To be involved in occupations that involve tobacco, meat, liquor, drugs etc. is not in accordance to Gurmat. Such occupation would not be Dharam dee Kirat.

3. Do not be a Loon-Haraami (Nimak-Haraami) i.e. do not deceive your employer and execute your duties for which you get paid honestly and earnestly.

4. Only such profession is Gurmat Kirat in which while working one also meditates on Naam and recites Gurbani.

5. One must give out Daswandh from the honest earnings. Only then it becomes Dharam di Kirat if one shares it with Gursikhs through Daswandh.

6. Without Dharam di Kirat, its not possible to do Gurmat Prema Bhagti.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
June 15, 2010 07:56AM
What duties we think that employees of SGPC, DGPC, Sants of Sant Deras must perform to make sure that there KAMAI from the Gurudwara Sangats become - Kirt Karnee Dharam Dee ????

Bhul Chuk Maaf !!
June 15, 2010 12:42PM
Veer Ji, "Sants of Deras" are a different case. As far as the empoyees of Gurdwara managements are concerned; if they work honestly; it should not be a problem, I think. Is it otherwise? ------------------These jobs are needed, to run the system. If one is ready to work volunteerily, that is SEWA.

Regarding "Dharam Di Kirt", there are certainly, many other professions, which may sound objectionable to some (but not to me, smiling smiley) People do object to those professions. More serious we analyze, more "VEHMI" we become, more professions we lose.

Interest earned from money lent to others, is a serious subject. In Islaam; that is prohibited, I think. Then what about, interest we earn from money depoisted in Banks? What about Gambling and related professions like LOTO. What about Share market businesses? There is an element of cleverness and chance to win or lose. Some consider it objectionable. Other do it.

What about doing a business, having a surplus of profit from the poor customers? A commodity of $ 100, selling for $400. How much earnings are allowed? Recently, all those professions of networking, whereby we woo as many customers, so as to let our share be multiplied, as many times? Your profit depends on your salesmanship, regardless of the utility of the product. Then we are told, that after certain time, you will not be working, but simply earning, because others will be working for you. Then a profession of salesmanship, wherein you sell your product, even if you know that the product has so many weak points. And they say, in India, "a seller has to speak so many lies" to sell his product.

What about all those professions, which give us commission based earnings. e.g. Buying a vehicle to sell it at inflated price!!!!!!!!!!

Real Estate, investing in property, waiting for inflation for profits?

A business in Cosmetic Industry, which includes products objectionable?

What about a job, where one has to trim the hair of the animals, pets or otherwise?

What about selling eggs or other non veg products, at one's store?

For, DHARAM DI KIRT, I think, we have to be very vigilant.

Bhai Lallo and Malik Bhago Sakhi, is most important to remember, to understand this concept.
June 16, 2010 03:05AM
Thanks Kulbir Veerjee... I agree...

I think doing whatever kirt Guroo Saaheb has given you... Everything ends up to being honest with your work and earning enough to run your family and not get engrossed in earning millions coz even thats Maya and it takes you away from Guroosaaheb...

Havent seen too many millionaire Bhakts... coz they are more inclined towards earning the Jhoothee Kamaayee through whatever means... and they are too stressed out to start earning the REAL Kamaayee...!! Vaheguroo..!!
June 16, 2010 07:55AM
what about those without traditional paying jobs? mothers, students, housewives, children? is this daily work our kirt? and is daaswand of seva acceptable if there is no income from the work?
June 16, 2010 02:02PM
For obvious reasons children are exempt from Dasvand. To perform domestic duties and being a good mother is a great seva such mothers are also exempt from Dasvand, because through their seva Husbands are able to go to work and make a living. So such couples gives dasvand as a couple. IF the mother or father did not stay home to raise the children then who would? Because either husband or wife are willing to take this seva ( duty) to raise the children it allows the other to go to work and make an honest living. For this reason the dasvand a joint effort from both Husband and wife.

I would also consider seva as Dasvand if there is no income available. Because the funds used for Dasvand are ideally used for Gurmat Parchar/seva. To do Guru Sahibs seva as ones occupation is the highest work for a SIngh or Singhhi to do in this world.

In hIs rehatnamey BHai Desa Singh Ji mentions one should work for Khalsa.

In Bhai Daya Singh Jis rehatnama he states

ਧਰਮ ਕਿਰਤ ਪਾਇ, ਖਾਲਸਾ ਸੋ ਜਿਨ ਤਨ, ਮਨ, ਧਨ ਗੁਰੂ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਕੋ ਸੌਪਿਆ ਹੈ

One who works by religious means and offers their mind, body, and wealth to Guru Sahib can be classified as Khalsa.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login