ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about rehitnamas

Posted by sk 
Re: Question about rehitnamas
June 03, 2010 10:15AM
for the record, i never questioned whether guru sahib was vegetarian or anything like that! all i did was point out the inconsistencies between the "historical" rehetnamay. if hindus didn't eat meat, and sikhs didn't eat meat, then how come some of the rehetnamay allow chatka of goats? see what i'm getting at?

yes, there's good info in most of them. yes, we should take the advice that's according to gurmat. but the sections that are not? leave them. there's no reason to make up stories to try to force the corrupted parts to make sense. that's all i'm trying to say here.

even if 52 hukams are not 100% authentic, they're 100% gurmat. in the end, that is what a rehet must be.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Tarun Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> in the end i like what Bhai Pinderpal Singh Ji had
> to say about the authenticity of sources which is
> essentially that so many sources have been altered
> but we can't just throw them out in their entirety
> (sau sakhi is one) there is a lot of good
> information to be garnered from those sources for
> example Bhai Chaupa Singh's rehatnama says that a
> Sikh is not to go to sleep without resolving a
> dispute with another Sikh - can you imagine how
> much better our panth would be if we all
> implemented that type of resolve - instead we need
> to have the knowledge of swan who is able to find
> the good even in muddied water and we need to find
> the good in what may be altered
>
> bhul chuk maaf karni
>
> Tarun Singh

Veer Ji these are wise words its not so wise to completely reject a rehatnama if there are some questionable elements existing in the rehatnama. The consequences of questioning Guru Sahibs rehat has a dramatic effect on the panth. Take the following rehatnama by BHai Daya Singh Ji on how langar should be maintained for example.

ਧਨ ਨ ਦੇਇ, ਜੋ ਰਿਖੀ ਸਦ੍ਰਿਸ਼ ਹੋਇ ਜਟਾਧਰੀ ਤਮਾਕੂ ਤਿਆਗੀ ਤਿਸ ਕੇ ਚਰਨ ਪੂਜੇ

ਧਨ ਨ ਦੇਇ ਜੋ, ਜੋ ਪਰਨਾਰੀ ਭੋਗੇ, ਫਾਰਸੀ ਪੜੇ, ਨ ਮੈੱ ਉਹਦਾ , ਨ ਵਹ ਮੇਰਾ, ਉਸ ਸਿਖ ਕੇ ਹਾਥ ਕਾ ਜਲ ਨਾ ਪੀਵ। ਪਾਰਸੀ ਪੜੈ ਕਾ ਬਿਸਾਹ ਨਾ ਕਰੈ, ਅੰਨ ਉਸ

ਕਾ ਨਾ ਖਾਵੈ

Do not give to those that have become yogis or whom have become followers of Yogis whom renounce the world and have a habit of smoking Tobacco. Do not give to those that have cheated on their wife and read Farsi. I am no their Guru and they are not my Sikh. Do not eat drink or eat from such people. Do not trust people who read Farsi.

Many people will reject this rehatnama because they will strictly focus on the part that says dont trust those who read Farsi. They wont take into consideration the historical background or the whole rehatnama in its entirety.

Dasmi Paatshah abolised the Masand system after it had been corrupt . Guru Sahib would have Panj Pyaarey manage the administrative affiars. In the villages all funds for the Darbar Sahib and Langar would given strictly to practicing Panj Pyaarey. However, this did not stop certain masands from trying to collect funds from the sangat.

The above rehatnama cleary shows that those who have become apostates should not be trusted. 4 out of the four Bajjar Kurehits have been mentioned in this rehatnama.ਜਟਾਧਰੀ is a yogi who keeps their hair but does not respect it. They do not wash it , comb it or keep it covered. Becoming a follower of them and being like them makes one a tankhiya. Speaking farsi is referring to Halaal. Those that have turned from Gurmat, and adopted the customs of the Turks . Such people would recite verses from the Quaran in their Farsi Gutka and performing halal. GUru Sahib said never trust people who are not firm in the SIkh faith , such people are not representatives of him. I remember a story of Bhai Randhri Singh Ji when he started following this Yogi whom had ridhi sidhi powers. One day Bhai Sahib saw him smoking and never again kept his company. He was extremely greatful to Guru Sahib making him aware of this person.

As a panth we have not followed these directions and look what damage it has caused the panth. We give our dasvand to committee members who shave, drink etc and look what have they have done to our GUrdwaras. They put chairs and tables in the langar. They allow people to walk in the langar hall with their heads uncovered and shoes on. They do not spend funds for Gurmat Parchaar instead keep Gurus money for private and personal reasons. Would a Gurdwara managed by 5 practicing Gurmukhs ever tolerate such beadbi in the Gurdwara?

The langar hall has become a social club for people to meet on Sundays. In the old days, the langar had such a spiritual vibe it would be so quiet and tranquil inside that people could easily chant naam internally. Nowadays, the Gurdwara has become so loud Naam Abhyiaas becomes a struggle. There are ancient rehatnamey that say not to dare wear shoes or socialize in the langar hall. But I have been to AKJ programs whom are supposedly suppose to be the most strictest in following Gurmat Rehat Maryada violate these principles. During Keertan programs I have seen both Singhs and Singhia just ideally chatting and socializing in the langar hall. I dont think its bad to give a simple reply in the langar hall if someone ask you a question but to have a full conversation is just plain disrespect. Do we believe Guru Sahib is close if we dont have such fear of GUrmat Principles in the langar hall.

My Masters Mansion

Agam- Agocahr Allaaaaaaaaaah! You belong to all
Night and day you are close and listen to everyones call
In your Langar, exist four welcoming doors
In your dining area, there are no tables on the floor

In your Darbar Sahib exist the mysterious golak.
Those who faith in it will realize that ( atma) which is nirmolak
Giving one penny or dollar with a pure heart, worldly thinking well turn into spiritual
but giving one dollar as a mere ritual they will continue to practice Sikhi as a ritual.

Raam Raaheem WaaheGuru Sahib Jeeo! In your house everyone feels alive
In your house, affairs are governed by the practicing 5
Through your house, Hell well turn into Heaven
Through your house, the bulls head will no longer carry such a burden
-
Re: Question about rehitnamas
June 04, 2010 02:11PM
sukhdeep singh
Speaking farsi is referring to Halaal. Those that have turned from Gurmat, and adopted the customs of the Turks . Such people would recite verses from the Quaran in their Farsi Gutka and performing halal.

no offense veerjee, but do you just make things up? first, quran is read in arabic, not farsi. second, turks don't speak farsi. third, how does speaking the language of poets like bhai nand lal jee have anything to do with halal? every day in jaap sahib we read farsi words. would guru sahib really condemn his own bani???

take the gurmat, ignore the rest. please don't make excuses for it. PARTS (i never said all) of these rehetnamay are corrupt. it's commonly accepted by historians and scholars. just like in life, we should take the good and leave the rest behind.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.