ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice Needed Gurdwara

Posted by MrHSinghK 
Advice Needed Gurdwara
August 18, 2016 06:45PM
WJKK WJKF 

My question is that i get more ras shanti doing my nitnem bani at home and don't really enjoy going to Gurdwara any more as i used to since i have started my doing my nitnem banis at home.

Is this ok cos it is confusing me as i don't understand as i know i am going to Gurdwara is important but i don't enjoy at all nowdays and can't wait to leave.

And plus everyone knows how the system in Uk gurdwara's is.

I don't wanna sound like a nastik cos I believe in Amrit and Gurbani
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Advice Needed Gurdwara
August 19, 2016 05:00AM
WaheguruJiKaKhalsa WaheguruKiKiFateh

Bhai Gurdas Ji mentions in one of the vaar "Ghar Ghar Andar Dharamsaal, Hovai Keertan Sada Vasoa". Guru Sahib's message was to make each and every SIkh's home a Dharamsaal or Guru's ghar. Most of the singhs either do nitnem individually at their home or collectively in sangat at other singhs' homes. Its not necessary to go to gurdwara sahib to do you nitnem. However every Gursikh should stive to get the darshan of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj during the day if a gurdwara sahib is nearby.
I was told that originally ( before Sikhi) most villages in Punjab had an inn for travelers . This inn was called " Dharamshaal". Dharamshaal in Sikhi is similar the only difference is this inn also has langar and Gurbani kirtan. In Anandpur Sahib, the Dharamshaala of Bhai Nand Lal Ji was most pleasing to Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji. The reason being it catered guests even in the latest hours. I don't think we can convert our house into a Dharamshaal just by doing nitnem or Naam simran. I think kirtan and serving langar are two of the necessary components of a dharamshaal.

Going to the Gurdwara Sahib our going to a house were sangat is present is an important practice in Sikhi. Bhai Gurdas Ji says human life is most blessed because we can walk to the satsangat and we can serve them with our honest earnings.

ਹਥੀ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਵਣੀ ਪੈਰੀ ਚਲਿ ਸਤਿਸੰਗਿ ਮਿਲੇਹੀ।

ਕਿਰਤਿ ਵਿਰਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਧਰਮ ਦੀ ਖਟਿ ਖਵਾਲਣੁ ਕਾਰਿ ਕਰੇਹੀ।

The puratan rehatname ( Bhai nand lal , Bhai daya Singh) also mention we should routinely visit Gurdwara Sahib. This is kaljug and the environment of some Gurdwaras seems to be far from Gurmat this is why we have to use bibek and have sangat of those who uplift our Sikhi. Staying at home and doing paath is good but it does not suffice. As veer ji mentioned Nitnem at the Gurdwara Sahib is not mandatory but avoiding the Gurdwara Sahib/sangat all together is not a gurmat practice.
August 20, 2016 10:52AM
I beg to differ. It is more important to focus on naam and baani with maximum concentration
If going to Gurdwara is not helping this then do not go. Do nitnem at home and mathha tek to a pothi sahib or gutka sahib. Millions go to Gurdwarey everyday without acheiving any progress in naam bhagti. It is naam and bhagti which is vital.
1, ਬਿਨੁ ਭਾਗਾ ਸਤਸੰਗੁ ਨ ਲਭੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਮੈਲੁ ਭਰੀਜੈ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥
2.ਮਿਲੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਭਜੁ ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮ ॥੧॥
3,ਸਾਧ ਜਨਾ ਤੇ ਬਾਹਰੀ ਸੇ ਰਹਨਿ ਇਕੇਲੜੀਆਹ ॥ ਤਿਨ ਦੁਖੁ ਨ ਕਬਹੂ ਉਤਰੈ ਸੇ ਜਮ ਕੈ ਵਸਿ ਪੜੀਆਹ ॥

How to get maximum benefits of sangat

[gurmatbibek.com]
August 22, 2016 04:10AM
These days majority of Gurdwaras have become centres of activities which are no where "satsang". I would say the only reason to go there will be if there is a gurmat samagam going on or for regular darshan of Guru Sahib if you don't have parkash at home.

As for Dharamsaal, a gursikhs' house will definitely have kirtan and Khalsa's langar is open for anyone who comes to the door.
August 22, 2016 06:31AM
It is true what has been said about satsang. What only when the congregation is actually a satsang. It is not satsangat what we normally get to see.
And Guru Sahib ji himself is the best satsangat we can have. And Guru ji is present in form of Gurbani. Gurbani da sang sabh to saukhi te uttam satsangat hai.
I dont think its a good idea to discourage people from attending Gurdwara Sahibs. People think by renouncing society there spiritual jeevan is going to be approved. This is not the case.

Im not sure I understand this concept of not attending Gurdwara Sahibs? When the Siddhas ran to the mountains as a means to maximize their meditation , Guru Sahib checked them for their cowardness. He said how is society going to change when people are running away from their societal responsibilities? Guru Sahib founded the Gurdwara Sahib and it wasnt merely a monastery for meditation. Gurdwara Sahibs are also the centers of political life for the panth and they are places of social learning. They are places of social learning because people pray and eat together thus breaking caste taboos. Guru Gobind Singh Ji says my Sikhs belonging to all caste will meditate on Gurmantar and caste distinctions will disappear. By becoming jot viagasi Gurmukhs people will see the jot in one another and not ones jat pat. The architecture of Sri Harmandir Sahib demonstrates this. The four doors of Harmandir Sahib illiustrate the social principles of Sikhi. The darbar sahib , the golak, the sarovar illustrate the three pillars of SIkhi " Naam, Daan , and Ishnaan which are not only spiritual practices but societal practices.

Secondly, the Gurdwara is were the oppressed are protected and fed. Gurdwaras are not monasteries. Most of the main Gurdwara Sahibs in India are in the midst of cosmopolitan areas such as Amritsar. When I go to Harmandir Sahib I know the original maryada is no longer in place and the place has been hijacked by unprincipled politicians but I can never avoid going to Harmandir Sahib just because of its management. I am optimistic that the malechh management is going to be changed to the khalsa management when the time is right.

I understand the function of our Gurdwaras are no longer serving their original purpose. But I think its cowardly to avoid them all together. If we dont like the maryada of our Gurdwaras then we need to change them through personal example or we need to attend Gurdwara Sahibs which are partly committed to Maryada. The concept of " Dera" originates when the Udasis/masands took over the Gurdwaras and were no longer following Gurdwara Maryada instead they were following their own maryada. In our daily Ardas we address this issue and we pray " that those Gurdwaras which have been separated from the panthic maryada are in the hands of masands be free, and we can take over these places and do seva". We should avoid deras which have completely strayed and there is no hope but we should still continue to do sangat with those who are committed to maryada.

As previously mentioned Gurdwara Sahibs are the center of political life in the panth. Originally ( pre sikhi era) local politics in villages were managed by secular 5 committee member ( panchiyat system). Guru Sahib took this secular concept of rural punjab and created a miri piri system where 5 Sikhs managed local affairs through divine direction. Gurdwara Sahibs had both judicial, legislative, and executive functions . Even when the Singhs were in the Jungles they still were able to have darshan of Harmandir Sahib and make panthic decisions during Diwali and Visakhi. Miri Piri concept is tied into the Gurdwara. Panthic affaris ( local and wide) are suppose to be dealt with by 5 singhs in their respective localities. By completely boycotting all Gurdwaras we are breaking from a gurmat tradition. Gurdawra Sahib has always been the center of both spiritual and political matters. Why else did the Singh Sabha movement start off with reforming the Gurdwaras which were in the hands of masands/mahants.

History is changing but the problems are still the same. We have to come up with innovative ways to improve our Gurdwara Sahibs instead of avoiding them all together. Because we live in a Protesant world we have overly secularized our institutions. We think we make contributions to Gurdwara Sahib by slipping a dollar in the golak or by voting for our favorite candidate on the Gurdwara ballot or in some extreme cases we avoid Gurdwara Sahib/sangat all together and try to practice Sikhi on a individual level.
August 27, 2016 06:27PM
Fateh,
Very well said Veer Bhai Sukhdeep Singh Jio!_/\_
GURDUARA IS TO CONNECT WITH VAHIGUROO ONLY, AND COLLECTIVELY CONNECT TO VAHIGUROO AS A SANGAT (sat or not)...all the distraction, politics.. is His game of love Jio_/\_

Bhul chuk muaf Vahiguroo kirpa Jio_/\_
Sab Gobind Hai Jio_/\_
August 27, 2016 07:17PM
Vahiguroo Jio,
Sikhs losing barosa in Sikhi and Guru Ghar is ultimate victory for hind rss..
[www.sikh24.com]

Bhul chuk muaf Vahiguroo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login