ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to Control Mann when Japping Naam?

Posted by Jacfsing2 
I realized it was very hard to control Mann while japping the Gurmantar, (Vaheguru) regardless of how hard I try. Does anyone else have this problem and how do we put the mind in place?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

An elder Gursikh provided a very insightful tip on this. He said the Mann needs to be kept busy, otherwise it will find its own things to do and focus on. So while doing Simran, pick a pangti related to doing Simran and keep reciting it in your mind (Mann). That will give the Mann something to do. If the pangti is encouraging to do Simran, it will enhance the Simran and there will be lots more laha. Short, sweet, to the point - these will keep your Mann in check.

Also provided by same Gursikh - it is vital that you do Simran so that you can hear it with your own ears. Listening to the Simran is also vital to bring about progress. Dhun Mai Dhian pangti was documented for this.

Some insights from Bhai Vir Singh can be found here:

[www.sikh24.com]
ms514 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH
>
> An elder Gursikh provided a very insightful tip on
> this. He said the Mann needs to be kept busy,
> otherwise it will find its own things to do and
> focus on. So while doing Simran, pick a pangti
> related to doing Simran and keep reciting it in
> your mind (Mann). That will give the Mann
> something to do. If the pangti is encouraging to
> do Simran, it will enhance the Simran and there
> will be lots more laha. Short, sweet, to the
> point - these will keep your Mann in check.
>
> Also provided by same Gursikh - it is vital that
> you do Simran so that you can hear it with your
> own ears. Listening to the Simran is also vital
> to bring about progress. Dhun Mai Dhian pangti
> was documented for this.
>
> Some insights from Bhai Vir Singh can be found
> here:
>
> [www.sikh24.com]
> -vir-singhs-thoughts-on-meditation-naam-simran/

Good tips, but if one tries to jap naam in the beginning with surti , would they listen with inner ears?
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Daas could be very wrong (and please do correct, for the benefit of all), but doing Simran in surti is the practice of someone with a decent amount of Naam Abhiyaas or has karam from previous lives to be able to continue it in this life.

Most Gursikhs have advised that one has to start from doing Simran loudly - loudly enough to be able to hear the Simran with your own ears - to start. With this, it would be still important focus inward concentration (surti, correct me if I am defining incorrectly) on the sound of Simran. Through this, progress will occur to other stages of Simran.

If you are starting with silent, inward Naam Simran - I think those more competent Abhiyaasis can comment far better than me.
Thank you for responding.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login