ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unfertilized Eggs

Posted by gurs1kh 
Unfertilized Eggs
April 04, 2016 12:47PM
A friend of mine was recently asked why Sikhs don't eat eggs, since the ones that you would buy at a store are generally unfertilized, so they won't hatch into chicks.
We couldn't really come up with a good answer other than the fact that factory farming for eggs isn't ethical. However, similar points can be made about factory farming for milk and most Sikhs are fine with drinking/using milk (I guess that can be something worth discussing as well).
Anyone have any thoughts about this?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Unfertilized Eggs
April 07, 2016 03:44PM
There are quite a few videos on Youtube with people incubating supermarket eggs and them actually hatching! So thinking that the eggs in the supermarket are always unfertilized is not true. It is a jeev, that had a chance to live but you killed it.

While it is true that factory farming for Milk is unethical, we can always try the best option. As for Bibekis, they try consume Raw Milk where possible. And usually if you buy Raw Milk from a farm you can see the condition of the cows and how they are treated. If there are no farms available around, your next best option is to drink grass-fed organic Milk. Which is when the commercial dairy farmer allows his cows to roam around in an open space, and when ready to milk they are brought in. Milk is a must for Bibekis, since it makes up for most of our diet. While it will be best to have our own farm and cows, we can only try to find the best option available..
Re: Unfertilized Eggs
April 07, 2016 10:03PM
Thanks for your reply.
Do you have any particular answers for when the egg is unfertilized though? I do know that some supermarket eggs can end up hatching, but I was hoping for an answer for the unfertilized ones, since someone could end up asking about that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login