ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why is it important to learn Gurmukhi?

Posted by Preetam Singh 
Sometimes we have some new students who are just beginning to learn Gurmukhi and are in the Oora Aira class asking us this question. In the west we have been very late in teaching Gurmukhi to our Bachay. We see that most students who come from Punjabi families are still teaching English to their Bachay first and then taking them to Gurmukhi classes later on.

What happens then is the Bachay are not really understanding why learning Gurmukhi is important. For them, they already have learnt how to communicate in a language that they use at almost all waking hours. Even their parents speak to them in English and sometimes even our Bazurgs, if the Bachay actually do speak to them, are learning how to converse in English so that their Bachay don't have to make any efforts to learn Punjabi.

Even in the cases when the Bachay do understand Punjabi and can speak an understandable amount of Punjabi with the western accent, they still don't know why they need to read or write Gurmukhi. We have failed our Bachay in this regard.

When we teach the students that without learning the basic Oora Aira you cannot read Gurbani and without reading Gurbani you cannot have Darshan of Guru Sahib's Saroop, the students are actually interested. When hearing about Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh jee and how his Bani has so much Shakti that it will transform a weakling into the greatest warrior ever, who wouldn't want to read it to experience this themselves?

We as parents are taking the wrong approach to teaching our Bachay Gurmukhi and Gurmat. We are giving the reasoning that they must do it because it is their culture and that they have to do it. But we should be making them fall in love with Sikhi. We have to take the approach of Gurmat and teach them through Gurbani.

When Bachay are told stories of how Brahmgyani Baba Deep Singh jee fought with their head in their hand and a Khanda in the other, and we tell the Bachay that this is possible only through reading Gurbani and Naam Abhiyaas, then our Bachay will want to read Gurbani.

Guru Sahib Sanu Sumat Bakhshan

Preetam Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Very well written and an important topic. This reminds me of an incident that happened at Abchal Nagar Sri Hazur Sahib Nanded. It is worth quoting it here.

Towards the south direction of Gurdwara Langar Sahib, at the right turn, there is a dera of Nihang Singhs. One young Singh in full enthusiasm went to that dera and expressed his desire to have Darshan of Sri Sarbloh Granth. As soon as the Jathedaar of the dera heard this, he quickly picked up one "Sotti" lying nearby. He further queried whether the Singh has ever done Darshan of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee.

That Singh happily replied, "Ya, just now I had Darshan of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee at Sachkhand Sri Hazur Sahib. I am coming directly from there". Jathedaar gave one bang of Sotti on Singh's legs. Jathedaar again asked same question. Singh again said, "Yes, I had Darshan. Trust me". One more bang of sotti on Singh's leg. Jathedaar again asked same question. This time Singh was really confused and groaning in pain. Singh did not know what to answer.

The young Singh's full enthusiasm was damped by this time. He was sitting on ground soothing his leg and groaning in pain. He had no clue what just happened within 5 mins. One Nihang Singh who was watching the entire incident came to the young Singh and advised him to go and have Darshan of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee first then only he will be able to have Darshan of Sri Sarbloh Granth. Singh was baffled on hearing this. He said, "but I had done Darshan of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee. I bow to Guru Sahib regularly and do Darshan".

Nihang Singh explained that the Guru of a Sikh is Shabad Guru. Until you have taken Santhiya you have not done Darshan of Guru Sahib. Mere bowing does not amount to Darshan of Guru Sahib. This was the message Jathedaar was trying to convey. Now go and learn Gurmukhi then only you can get Santhiya and then only you can have Darshan of Guru Sahib. The young Singh left the dera filled with vismaad.

The message is crystal clear in this incident.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Waheguru Jio,
Please explain Santhiya, and how to do ji?
Bhul chuk muaf

Waheguru Jio
ks
Waheguru Jio,
Please explain Santhiya, and how to do ji?
Bhul chuk muaf

Waheguru Jio

In simple words Santhiya means, to learn to do Sudh Paath of Guru Sahib. This includes proper pronunciation of Shabds with Lagamatran and with proper pauses (jamkiya, thamkiya ...).

Here is the youtube video which explains the common mistakes we do if we have not taken Santhiya - [www.youtube.com]

Here is the another youtube video in which Santhiya of first 5 Paudis of Sri Jap Ji Sahib is done [www.youtube.com]

Santhiya can be taken from any Abhiyasi Gurmukh. But before that the abhyas of Gurmukhi Paintee should have been done properly. Here is the youtube tutorial for that : [www.youtube.com]

Here are 2 youtube channels if you wish to start to do Santhiya on your own (which I personally do not suggest but only as a last resort if you don't find any Abhiyasi Gurmukh in your locality):
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
There are also Santhiya files that have been posted on this site. You can find those PDFs here.

Preetam Singh
Well written Preetam Singh. There are few other reasons why learning Gurmukhi is missed out.

1) In most of our families, the kids are in the hands of the grandparents whom themselves hardly can ready Gurmukhi(specially who came from Villages, but those kids are best candidates to be good PATHIs). We had few grandmothers at GB who were initially shy to sit in OORA AIRA class but then when explained that this is the only chance to read gurbani (manukha janam), they showed the guts and eventually were able to start doing Paath in 2-3 months.

2) KIds are sent to Gurmat schools very late when the damage is already done, English has already taken the lead. SO Gumukhi can then only become second language. This should be seriously thought.

3) TVs at home other culpits. Parents feel they save their life by having the kids in front of TV but ultimately all it gives is a western styled kid.

So its not hard these days,specially when there are schools in all corners, all we need to do make it a priority.. !!
Waheguru Jio,
Dhan dhan to all ji.
Sudh means to pronounce correctly ji?
Please explain Abhiyas jii.
Bhul chuk muaf

Waheguru Jio
Waheguru Jio,
And my understanding from first video link, Abhiyasi is expert in correct Gurbani recitation ji?

bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Jio
So true Bhai Sahib Singh jeeo!

I have personally seen some parents making their small children watch TV just to make them settle down and not be a bother. They are substituting real parenting with TV and that is doing so much damage that it isn't even funny.

First off they lose their Punjabi and they become English speaking westerners and secondly they are losing their culture and learning western culture instead. TV is a great killer of imagination and leads to kids being inactive and not being able to think abstractly. We should save our children from this evil.

Preetam Singh
Preetam Singh
First off they lose their Punjabi and they become English speaking westerners and secondly they are losing their culture and learning western culture instead.

And Thirdly, at later point of their life they meet Missionary pracharak and that completes their Home Run !

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
ks
And my understanding from first video link, Abhiyasi is expert in correct Gurbani recitation ji?

Haan Ji, one who is making continuous effort to reach perfection with Guru Sahib's Kirpa.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Waheguru Jio,
Dhan dhan Gurmukho Jaskirat Singh Jio atey Preetam Singh Jio.

bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Jio
One of the things i was amazed about with teaching kids is how quickly they learn. When i first took on the seva of teachings kids Gurmukhi/Santhia, i assumed it would be a very hard process and to teach basic words would be difficult, only because i myself didn't do deep vichaar of Gurbani until University. I also had never seen any young kid who was adept at understanding Gurbani. But as i much teaching, i was surprised at how quickly the kids would pick up words. Only a few times did i have to explain them a meaning before they would remember. The first word comprehension test i gave to my students, nearly all (kids under 10) scored perfect. They had learned over 40 words within 2 weeks. This could only mean one thing, that parents aren't putting effort into teaching their kids Gurmukhi or doing Gurbani Vichar.
As Preetam Singh has laid out so diligently the importance of learning Gurmukhi, the main reason why our kids in Western nations have drifted away from Sikhi is that Punjabi has ceased to be their first language. If we look at Sikhs who were living in Afghanistan for hundreds of years, we see that they kept their Sikhi intact. Same can be said of other Sikh communities living as minorities within Muslim or Hindu communities e.g. Sikhs in Kashmir, Iran etc. but Sikhs living in Western countries have lost their first generation. How did this happen? This happened because they let English become the mother-tongue of their kids, which resulted in their kids adopting the Western culture resulting in them moving away from Sikhi.

The foremost thing to do for parents is to ensure that for the first 5 years, they never speak English with their kids and thereafter, when their kids start going to school, they should ensure that their kids speak only Punjabi at home and learn Punjabi writing and reading regularly, along with their worldly education. Then alone we can save our future generations.

Kulbir Singh
For some reason elders in our community have a mentality that English would be a better option for the future generation since they live in a western country and English is what they will be speaking when growing up. My own Nephew and Niece speak in English with their family members both being under 5! When I confronted the family about kids not speaking punjabi, their excuse is "oh tey aape aa hi jaanee.." Kids learn and pick up things very quickly. They become what YOU make of them. What is the point of our kids speaking English only when they won't be able to even communicate with their own grandparents or other elders? Furthermore what is the point of learning English only if your kids can't even do veechar with older Gursikhs? As Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee pointed out it is always a good idea to communicate with and around your child in Punjabi only! They will eventually learn English when they get to school anyways..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login