ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ved and Kateb in the Light of Gurbani

Posted by Gurditt Singh 
I have started this thread to clear up Gurbani verses that pertain to Ved Ketab and other such scriptures. Now I know we as Sikhs do not have any faith in other scriptures and believe them to be false, but a lot of the English translations we see on the internet today regarding Vedas and Katebas are misleading. So I would like if Gursikhs will take their time to provide proper translations to the some of the following Tuks:

1) ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਕਹਹੁ ਮਤ ਝੂਠੇ ਝੂਠਾ ਜੋ ਨ ਬਿਚਾਰੈ ॥
Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.

2) ਵੇਦਾ ਮਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਉਤਮੁ ਸੋ ਸੁਣਹਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਫਿਰਹਿ ਜਿਉ ਬੇਤਾਲਿਆ ॥
In the Vedas, the ultimate objective is the Naam, the Name of the Lord; but they do not hear this, and they wander around like demons.

3) ਕੁਰਾਣੁ ਕਤੇਬ ਦਿਲ ਮਾਹਿ ਕਮਾਹੀ ॥
Practice within your heart the teachings of the Koran and the Bible;

4) ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਜਾਸ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਵਤ ਤਾ ਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੀਐ ਮੋ ਧਰੁ ਰੇ ॥
The Vedas and the Puraanas sing His Praises; enshrine His Name within your heart.

5) ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਪੜੇ ਕੋ ਇਹ ਗੁਨ ਸਿਮਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਕੋ ਨਾਮਾ ॥1॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
This is the blessing of studying the Vedas and the Puraanas, that you may meditate on the Name of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

6) ਸਲੋਕੁ ॥
ਘੋਖੇ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਬੇਦ ਸਭ ਆਨ ਨ ਕਥਤਉ ਕੋਇ ॥
ਆਦਿ ਜੁਗਾਦੀ ਹੁਣਿ ਹੋਵਤ ਨਾਨਕ ਏਕੈ ਸੋਇ ॥1॥
I have searched all the Shaastras and the Vedas, and they say nothing except this: "In the beginning, throughout the ages, now and forevermore, O Nanak, the One Lord alone exists."||1||

7) ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸੁਧਾਖ੍ਹਰ ॥ ਕੀਨੇ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਇਕ ਆਖ੍ਹਰ ॥
The Vedas, the Puraanas and the Simritees, the purest of utterances, were created from the One Word of the Name of the Lord.

8) ਹਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਲਗਿ ਬੇਦ ਉਪਾਏ ॥
Remembering the Lord, the Vedas were composed.

9) ਓਅੰਕਾਰਿ ਬੇਦ ਨਿਰਮਏ ॥
Ongkaar created the Vedas.

Sangat Ji, please share more Tuks that might be misleading.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

1) ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਕਹਹੁ ਮਤ ਝੂਠੇ ਝੂਠਾ ਜੋ ਨ ਬਿਚਾਰੈ ॥
Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.

Call the religions (ਮਤ) of Vedas and Katebas false; one who does not do true Vichaar (Gurmat Vichaar) is false.

In the Vedas, the ultimate objective is the Naam, the Name of the Lord; but they do not hear this, and they wander around like demons.

Out of known means of reaching Vaheguru e.g. Vedas etc., Naam is the best, but they do not listen to Naam and wander around like demons.

) ਕੁਰਾਣੁ ਕਤੇਬ ਦਿਲ ਮਾਹਿ ਕਮਾਹੀ ॥
Practice within your heart the teachings of the Koran and the Bible;

Within your heart earn the true earnings (of Naam), consider this to be Quraan and other Katebas.

4) ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਜਾਸ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਵਤ ਤਾ ਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੀਐ ਮੋ ਧਰੁ ਰੇ ॥
The Vedas and the Puraanas sing His Praises; enshrine His Name within your heart.

The word ਜਾਸ above should have an aunkad in the end as follows - ਜਾਸੁ. It seems like the printed saroops are missing this aunkad. Then the meaning of this word would be ਜਸੁ which means praise. In some handwritten saroops this word has aunkad in the end. In Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee's own words this pankiti means:

ਜਿਸ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਜਸ ਰੂਪ ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਦੀ ਸਿਫਤਿ ਸਾਲਾਹ ਕਰਨ ਦਾ ਤੈਨੂੰ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਹੁਕਮ ਹੈ, ਉਸੇ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਦਾ ਇਕੋ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਧਰ ਕੇ ਧਿਆ ਕੇ (ਸੁਆਸਿ ਸੁਆਸਿ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਕਰਿ)...

That Vaheguru whose praise-singing is a Hukam to you, reside his Naam inside your Hirda (heart).

5) ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਪੜੇ ਕੋ ਇਹ ਗੁਨ ਸਿਮਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਕੋ ਨਾਮਾ ॥1॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
This is the blessing of studying the Vedas and the Puraanas, that you may meditate on the Name of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

The full Rahao Pankiti is as follows:

ਸਾਧੋ ਰਾਮ ਸਰਨਿ ਬਿਸਰਾਮਾ ॥
ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਪੜੇ ਕੋ ਇਹ ਗੁਨ ਸਿਮਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਕੋ ਨਾਮਾ ॥1॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

In Bhai Sahib's own words this pankiti means:

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਸ਼ਰਨ ਵਿਖੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਾਧ ਜਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਬਿਸਰਾਮ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਦੀ ਕਮਾਈ ਅਤੇ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਉਣ ਦੁਆਰਾ ਹੀ ਹੋ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ। ਆਨਮਤੀਆਂ ਦੇ ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਪੜ੍ਹੇ ਦਾ ਇਹ ਗੁਣ ਹੋਣਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ ਸੀ ਕਿ ਏਹਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਪੜ੍ਹ ਕੇ ਪੜ੍ਹਨਹਾਰਾ ਨਾਮ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕਰਨ ਲਗ ਜਾਂਦਾ, ਪਰ ਕਰਦਾ ਨਹੀਂ। ਕਰੇ ਭੀ ਕੀਕੂੰ? ਜਦ ਕਿ ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਤਾਂ ਨਾਮ ਦ੍ਰਿੜ੍ਹਾਉਂਦੇ ਹੀ ਨਹੀਂ। ਤਾਂ ਤੇ ਬੇਦਾਂ ਪੁਰਾਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਪੜ੍ਹਨ ਦਾ ਕੋਈ ਗੁਣਕਾਰੀ ਫਾਇਦਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੋ ਸਕਦਾ।

In Vaheguru jee's refuge, Gurmukh Sants can reside only through Gurmat Naam and Gurbani singing. The use of Vedas and Puranas should have been that the one indulged in them would start Naam Simran but this does not happen. Vedas and Puranas don't teach Naam.

6) ਸਲੋਕੁ ॥
ਘੋਖੇ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਬੇਦ ਸਭ ਆਨ ਨ ਕਥਤਉ ਕੋਇ ॥
ਆਦਿ ਜੁਗਾਦੀ ਹੁਣਿ ਹੋਵਤ ਨਾਨਕ ਏਕੈ ਸੋਇ ॥1॥
I have searched all the Shaastras and the Vedas, and they say nothing except this: "In the beginning, throughout the ages, now and forevermore, O Nanak, the One Lord alone exists."||1||

The padd-chhed of the above pankiti is not correct. It should be:

ਘੋਖੇ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਬੇਦ, ਸਭ ਆਨਨ ਕਥਤਉ ਕੋਇ ॥
We have studied the Vedas and Shastras but they all teach or state ਆਨਨ i.e. non-Naam teaching.

7) ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸੁਧਾਖ੍ਹਰ ॥ ਕੀਨੇ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਇਕ ਆਖ੍ਹਰ ॥
The Vedas, the Puraanas and the Simritees, the purest of utterances, were created from the One Word of the Name of the Lord.
8) ਹਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਲਗਿ ਬੇਦ ਉਪਾਏ ॥
Remembering the Lord, the Vedas were composed.
9) ਓਅੰਕਾਰਿ ਬੇਦ ਨਿਰਮਏ ॥
Ongkaar created the Vedas.

These three pankitis state that the whole creation including Vedas, Shastras etc. were created by Vaheguru, or through the power of Naam. These pankitis don't prove the greatness of Vedas, Katebas or Puranas.

Baani is Agam Agaadh Bodh. Bhul chuk dee Maafi jee.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Bhai sahib, can you explain this tuk in greater detail:

Bhai sahib, can you explain this tuk in greater detail:

One thing is for sure that there is no Naam in Vedas so this pankiti just does not mean that there is Naam in Vedas that they don't listen to and wander around like demons. There are far too many pankitis that give us the Hukam that Vedas and other Simritis and Shasters do analysis of sins and good deeds but they don't know about the real substance (Tatt Vastoo).

This Daas gave his interpretation already in the post above. Some Gurmukhs also interpret this pankiti as saying that Gurbani roopi Vedas contain Naam that they don't listen to and wander around like demons. This Daas personally is more inclined towards interpreting this as out of all means of meeting Vaheguru, known to the world, Naam is Uttam i.e. greatest, and they don't listen to this Naam and wander around like demons.

Rest Bhai Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
There are far too
> many pankitis that give us the Hukam that Vedas
> and other Simritis and Shasters do analysis of
> sins and good deeds but they don't know about the
> real substance (Tatt Vastoo).
>
>
> Daas,
> Kulbir Singh

Here is an example of what Bhai Sahib was talking about

ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ ੨ ॥

ਕਥਾ ਕਹਾਣੀ ਬੇਦੀ ਆਣੀ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥

ਦੇ ਦੇ ਲੈਣਾ ਲੈ ਲੈ ਦੇਣਾ ਨਰਕਿ ਸੁਰਗਿ ਅਵਤਾਰ ॥

ਉਤਮ ਮਧਿਮ ਜਾਤੀਂ ਜਿਨਸੀ ਭਰਮਿ ਭਵੈ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਬਾਣੀ ਤਤੁ ਵਖਾਣੀ ਗਿਆਨ ਧਿਆਨ ਵਿਚਿ ਆਈ ॥

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਆਖੀ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਾਤੀ ਸੁਰਤੀ ਕਰਮਿ ਧਿਆਈ ॥

ਹੁਕਮੁ ਸਾਜਿ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਰਖੈ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਵੇਖੈ ॥

ਨਾਨਕ ਅਗਹੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਤੁਟੈ ਤਾਂ ਕੋ ਲਿਖੀਐ ਲੇਖੈ ॥੧॥

It is clear from the Shabad above that all 4 vedas are caught up in the give and take, vice and virtue philosophy. However, amrit Bani ( Gurbani) is the the true saying /real substance (Tat Vakhanee).

Not only are Hindu Vedas caught up in this give and take ,vice and virtue.All the Abrahamic faiths are also caught up in this bahamnistic philosophy. Without Naam the mind can never purify itself.
How about this shabad:

9) ਬੇਦੁ ਪੁਕਾਰੈ ਭਗਤਿ ਸਰੋਤਿ ॥
The Vedas preach sermons of devotional worship.

ਸੁਣਿ ਸੁਣਿ ਮਾਨੈ ਵੇਖੈ ਜੋਤਿ ॥੬॥
Listening, hearing and believing, one beholds the Divine Light. ||6||

ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਮੰ ॥
The Shaastras and Simritees implant the Naam within.

The Shaastras and Simritees implant the Naam within.

If we believe the above translation, then it would be a violation of the following Gurbani Pankiti:

ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਪੁੰਨ ਪਾਪ ਬੀਚਾਰਦੇ ਤਤੈ ਸਾਰ ਨ ਜਾਣੀ ॥
(The Simirities and Shastras talk about good deeds and sins but they don't realize the real substance.)

One thing is for sure. Only Gurbani contains Naam. Vedas and Katebas don't have even as much Naam as required to smell it. If Vedas and Katebas had Naam, Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee would have never written the following Savaiya:

ਸਵੈਯਾ
ਪਾਇ ਗਹੇ ਜਬ ਤੇ ਤੁਮਰੇ ਤਬ ਤੇ ਕੋਊ ਆਂਖ ਤਰੇ ਨਹੀ ਆਨਯੋ ॥
ਰਾਮ ਰਹੀਮ ਪੁਰਾਨ ਕੁਰਾਨ ਅਨੇਕ ਕਹੈਂ ਮਤ ਏਕ ਨ ਮਾਨਯੋ ॥
ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਬੇਸ ਸਬੈ ਬਹੁ ਭੇਦ ਕਹੈ ਹਮ ਏਕ ਨ ਜਾਨਯੋ ॥
ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਸਪਾਨ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਤੁਮਰੀ ਕਰਿ ਮੈ ਨ ਕਹਯੋ ਸਭ ਤੋਹਿ ਬਖਾਨਯੋ ॥

In the light of the above stated Gurbani Pankitis, the translation of the Pankiti in question should be: For a Gursikh to do Naam DriR i.e. to implant the Naam within constitutes Shastras and Simritis (Implanting of Naam is done by Guru Sahib during the initiation ceremony).

The other pankiti is still to be analyzed. Guru Sahib kirpa karan.

Kulbir Singh
I would prefer to hear Bhai Kulbir Singh's analysis, but here is my take for now.
For hindus the vedas, shastars etc mean everything to them, they consider it the highest, sames goes for muslims and their quran. Hence, I believe these tuks are saying "for me, the shastars, quran etc are naam or gurbani".

So with the tuk provided by Bhai Gurdit Singh:

I would take the meaning to be "for me, shastars and simrats is the drirta of naam."

Of course there are those who believe vedas etc also contain naam, and we can argue about it all day, ultimately only guru sahib knows the exact truth. We can only do vichaar and come up with the most gurmat meanings which our capability allows, either individually or as a sangat.

Bhul chuk maaf jio
The following is the post I wrote some time ago on another forum. I hope this helps.

ਵੇਦਾ ਮਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਉਤਮੁ ਸੋ ਸੁਣਹਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਫਿਰਹਿ ਜਿਉ ਬੇਤਾਲਿਆ ॥

The above pankti is usually translated as: "In the Vedas, the ultimate objective is the Naam, the Name of the Lord; but they do not hear this, and they wander around like demons."

The entire pauri is about wasting this precious life in rituals and maya. The translation does not fit in the context or with the rest of Gurbani. Wherever a person wasting his life is mentioned in Gurbani, seeking the guidance of Satguru is recommended. I have come across a better translation by Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha in Hum Hindu Nahin. According to him, the correct way to read this pankti is:

ਵੇਦਾ ਮਹਿ, ਨਾਮੁ ਉਤਮੁ ਸੋ ਸੁਣਹਿ ਨਾਹੀ, ਫਿਰਹਿ ਜਿਉ ਬੇਤਾਲਿਆ ॥

Meaning - ਨਾਮੁ ਉਤਮੁ ਸੋ ਸੁਣਹਿ ਨਾਹੀ, ਵੇਦਾ ਮਹਿ ਬੇਤਾਲਿਆ ਜਿਉ ਫਿਰਹਿ

Those who do not listen to the supreme Naam, wonder about in Vedas and

ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਜਿਨ ਸਚੁ ਤਜਿਆ ਕੂੜੇ ਲਾਗੇ ਤਿਨੀ ਜਨਮੁ ਜੂਐ ਹਾਰਿਆ ॥੧੯॥

Nanak says, those who abandon the truth (Naam) and cling to falsehood lose their lives in waste.

The entire pauri talks about people who appear "nirmal" or pure from outside but they are impure from inside because they are attached to maya, worldly pleasures and wonder about in Vedas. Next pauri talks about being pure inside. It would be beneficial to note what Vedas overall talk about:

Rig Veda - talks about worshipping three devtas Brahma, Vishnu and Shiv.

Saam Veda - talks about rituals like havans and shraadhs.

Yajur Veda - talks about sacrifices of animals and humans to gods.

Athrav Veda - talks about ghosts and spirits.

All Vedas support eating of beef. Before Buddhism's downfall Hindu weddings were not considered complete unless a groom ate beef.

If anyone insists that Vedas have Naam then please specify which Vedas on which page talks about getting Naam. What is this Naam and how can one obtain it? What is the process? If Vedas give Naam then why aren't they consider Satguru and why were they rejected by Guru Sahib? Why didn't Guru Sahib preach the Naam of Vedas?

I have talked to some katha vaachaks from different backgrounds (including Taksal) and no one interpreted the word "Vedas" as referring to Hindu Vedas. All claimed that the word means "books of divine knowledge".

Really the books are not Vedas; Vedas means divine knowledge. He, who gains the knowledge and attains the sublime stage, can be called the knower of Vedas. (Brahat Parasar Sanheeta, Part 4)

Gurbani also uses the word Ved to refer to divine knowledge:

ਅਹਰਣਿ ਮਤਿ ਵੇਦੁ ਹਥੀਆਰੁ ॥

But the problem remains in the pauri of Anand Sahib. The meanings become "Books of divine knowledge contain Naam". Which book is the source of "Naam" and what is its name? Who wrote it and when? How do we get this Naam? If Guru Sahib knew about these books then he would've mentioned their names and preached that Naam. The fact is that Guru Sahib praises importance of Naam in Anand Sahib and rejects Vedas. Therefore, it is a must to become a guru wala Sikh and obtain Naam to get salvation.

I have come across a better translation by Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha in Hum Hindu Nahin. According to him, the correct way to read this pankti is:
ਵੇਦਾ ਮਹਿ, ਨਾਮੁ ਉਤਮੁ ਸੋ ਸੁਣਹਿ ਨਾਹੀ, ਫਿਰਹਿ ਜਿਉ ਬੇਤਾਲਿਆ ॥
Meaning - ਨਾਮੁ ਉਤਮੁ ਸੋ ਸੁਣਹਿ ਨਾਹੀ, ਵੇਦਾ ਮਹਿ ਬੇਤਾਲਿਆ ਜਿਉ ਫਿਰਹਿ
Those who do not listen to the supreme Naam, wonder about in Vedas and

This is the best translation I have read of this Pankiti. Nabha jee was indeed a gem.

And, an excellent article by Bhai Bijla Singh.

Kulbir Singh
Veer Gurditt Singh jeeo,

Here is the response to the other Gurbani Pankiti you asked about:

How about this shabad:
9) ਬੇਦੁ ਪੁਕਾਰੈ ਭਗਤਿ ਸਰੋਤਿ ॥
The Vedas preach sermons of devotional worship.
ਸੁਣਿ ਸੁਣਿ ਮਾਨੈ ਵੇਖੈ ਜੋਤਿ ॥੬॥
Listening, hearing and believing, one beholds the Divine Light. ||6||
In Bhai Sahib's words the meaning of this pankiti is as follows:

ਜੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਨ ਸੱਚਾ ਨਾਮ ਰੂਪੀ ਬੇਦ ਹੀ ਹਰ ਦਮ ਉਚਰਦਾ ਪੁਕਾਰਦਾ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ, ਉਸ ਦੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਵਿਚ ਹਮੇਸ਼ਾ ਭਗਤੀ ਭਾਵ ਉਪਜਦਾ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ। ਅਜਿਹੀ ਭਗਤੀ ਸ੍ਰੋਤ ਨੂੰ ਸੁਣ ਸੁਣ ਕੇ ਹੀ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੋਤੀਸ਼ ਉਪਰ ਸੱਚਾ ਮਨ ਮੰਨਦਾ ਹੈ।

If you notice the word ਬੇਦੁ, you will see an aunkad in the end, which proves that this word is a singular noun and the verb ਪੁਕਾਰੈ has dulaava in the end which prove that this is a verb for singular doer. In the light of these facts, the English translation provided above makes no sense. The translations says, "Vedas preach" but how can you say Vedas when in the original text the word ਬੇਦੁ is not a plural.

The fact is that even according to Sanskrit dictionaries, one of meanings of the word Ved is Gyaan or knowledge. In Gurbani too a lot of times the word Ved means knowledge and here as per Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee, this word means the source of divine knowledge - Naam Gurmantra. Indeed Naam is the source of knowledge and knowledge itself (when it reveals its Jyot form).

The meaning of this pankiti, in light of the Vichaar presented above, is "The Gurmukh Jan who uttters all the time Naam roopi Ved, the stream of Bhagti resides in his self-being. By listening to this stream of Bhagti (that now resides inside the Gurmukh) the mind gets tamed after viewing Jyoti-saroop Vaheguru.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Very informative posts by Kulbir Singh Jee, Bijla Singh Jee and others here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login