ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

name

Posted by Theguptone 
name
August 20, 2012 01:07PM
Majority of gursikhs had naam sanskar at birth, from non-lareevaar saroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, I want to know is it necessary to have naam sanskar redone with lareevar saroop? What if you have already taken amrit but didn't change it at the time of amrit sinchar (but have had naam sanskar from padchedd saroop at birth?). I know that some gursikhs have done this.

This issue has been playing on my mind lately, I want to please guru sahib, but at the same time changing name now, once I am already in the Gursikh community will be so difficult and confusing. Please advise.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: name
August 21, 2012 01:14PM
The tradition of name changing usually is for those who have converted to Sikhi or who have not been raised into Sikhi and did not receive their name according to Maryada. Some examples include Bhai Lehna, Ram Kaur , Madho Das, Nand Lal, and even Bhai Randhir SIngh Ji.

However for some unknown reason this has not always been the case. For example, none of the Panj Pyaarey changed their name nor did Baba Amar Das Ji. Other Gursikhs such as Sujjan Chand , Dayal Das did not change their first name but only changed their last name. I dont know the reason why these Gurmukhs did not change their name despite their hindu background?

If Gursikhs do not consider their name to be legit from a lareedar saroop then those who have married under pad ched saroop would have an invalid marriage, and if they have any children this would be a bajjar kurehit. The panth has not made such claims that ones name or marriage is only legit by lareedar saroop so we shouldnt be so quick to make such claims either.

The simple maryada of selecting name is one first invites sangat . Kirtan is perfromed , ardas is done, Hukumnama is taken, degh and langar is distrubted to attending sangat. THis way baby gets blessed through the blessings of sangat and starts off with a good foot towards Sri Guru Ji. However, I feel like this tradition is being practiced less and less today.
August 21, 2012 04:47PM

Majority of gursikhs had naam sanskar at birth, from non-lareevaar saroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, I want to know is it necessary to have naam sanskar redone with lareevar saroop? What if you have already taken amrit but didn't change it at the time of amrit sinchar (but have had naam sanskar from padchedd saroop at birth?). I know that some gursikhs have done this.

If one's name has not been kept from Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee (only Laridaar Saroop is our Guru), then for Chardi Kala one should change one's name accordingly or follow the direction of the Punj Pyare. Sometimes, they may give the name they want as was the case with the original Punj Pyare and many others e.g. Professor Sahib Singh's name was given by the Punj Pyare at his request. But for the most part, name should be changed accordingly.

This is just our humble opinion and no one is bound by it. Do as you please.

Kulbir Singh
August 23, 2012 12:35PM
Theguptone jee

I also was in the same predicament as you for changing my name. I had wanted to do it since the very time I took amrit but did not have the courage to do it. I was worried that since everyone already knew me by my mirtak naam that how would I start being known by a new name and how would that work. For the longest time I kept debating with myself about it and decided that at the next Amrit Sanchar I would go and ask the Panj Pyare what to do. Many Amrit Sanchars went by and I did not have the courage to go and take the step of changing my name.

Actually the ironic part was that some of my friends who were going to take Amrit would be convinced by me to change their name according to Gurmat Maryada as well. I really loved my mirtak naam and thought that the best thing would be for the same letter to come up as hukamnama and I would just keep this name. Finally those very same friends of mine convinced me that I too should take this step and me and another friend made the decision to just take a leep of faith and take hukamnama for Naam Sanskaar. It was our belief that Guru Sahib would for sure give us the hukamnama that would be our true name and that if our mirtak naam was too stay as our name then the same letter would come up. This Singh and I were doing many ardaasan the night before that the same letter as our mirtak naam would come for us so that we wouldn't have to face our families and the rest of the Gursikhs who already new us by these names.

In the morning after doing amritvela at Bhai Kulbir Singh jee's house in sangat we did ardaas and got hukamnama for our names and what a miracle occurred that my friend got the same letter as his mirtak naam but I was given a papa from Guru Sahib. My friend kept his name and I was name Preetam Singh by Guru Sahib and his sangat. It felt very nice and with Guru Sahib's kirpa right away I felt like Preetam Singh and forgot all about my mirtak naam. My joy knew no bounds and I was very excited to let everyone know that I was now Preetam Singh.

I rushed home and told my family (who was very upset at this) and then made new I.D.'s for Gurmatbibek.com as well as a new e-mail address and e-mailed everyone I knew to tell them about this. I was under the impression that all the Gursikhs would be fine with my decision but even up till today there are some Gursikhs who do not understand why I took this step.

It was truly Guru Sahib's miracle that I was blessed with this name and I do not regret my decision in the least bit.

Sikhi is for divane. Just take the plunge, there is nothing to think about.

Preetam Singh
August 23, 2012 02:08PM
thank you for all your posts and thank you bhai preetam singh ji for your personal experience... you have given me alot to think about. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login