ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ਭਾਦੁਇ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਣੀਆ ਦੂਜੈ ਲਗਾ ਹੇਤੁ ॥

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
PART 2

Tomorrow marks the first day of the Indian month Bhadon. while today marks the 65th year anniversay of Indias Independence from British Rule . As Gursikhs are we really independent? Replacing British Rule with the Rule of Brahmings does this really make us free. THe truth is we hide from our distinct identity and thus we have forged our soverignity bestowed by Sri Guru Ji Sri GUru Ji says as long as we stay distinct he will give us the right to rule, but as long as we follow the way of the Bahamns (Hindus) and others then we will be all left alone and thus we will become slaves.
ਜਬ ਲਗ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਰਹੇ ਨਿਆਰਾ। ਤਬ ਲਗ ਤੇਜ ਦੀਉ ਮੈਂ ਸਾਰਾ। ਜਬ ਇਹ ਗਹੇ ਬਿਪਰਨ ਕੀ ਰੀਤ। ਮੈ ਨ ਕਰਉ ਇਨ ਕੀ ਪਰਤੀਤ।

In the month of Bhadon, Sri GUru Ji states
ਭਾਦੁਇ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਣੀਆ ਦੂਜੈ ਲਗਾ ਹੇਤੁ ॥
ਲਖ ਸੀਗਾਰ ਬਣਾਇਆ ਕਾਰਜਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੇਤੁ ॥
ਜਿਤੁ ਦਿਨਿ ਦੇਹ ਬਿਨਸਸੀ ਤਿਤੁ ਵੇਲੈ ਕਹਸਨਿ ਪ੍ਰੇਤੁ ॥
ਪਕੜਿ ਚਲਾਇਨਿ ਦੂਤ ਜਮ ਕਿਸੈ ਨ ਦੇਨੀ ਭੇਤੁ ॥

Sri Guru Ji says those who only love him will be saved while those bodies who outwardly decorate themselves to please others will eventually perish. They will find their way in the wrathful court of Dharam Raj and receive dishonor. SO how is it one can save embarrassment from this court, and instead receive honor in Sri Guru Jis court?

Without respect for Kes we can never find honor in Sri GUru Jis court. Kes is the true shingaar of our body. Before Sri AKal Purakh created anything else on the body he adorned it with kesh.
ਜਬ ਪਹਿਲੇ ਸਬ ਸਿ੍ਰਸਿਟ ਉਪਾਈ । ਤਬ ਹੀ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹਿ ਬਨਾਈ ।
ਤਨ ਇਸ ਕੇ ਸਿਰ ਕੇਸ ਜੁ ਦੀਨੋ । ਸੋ ਇਹ ਤਨ ਸ਼ਿੰਗਾਰਿਹ ਕੀਨੋ ।
ਦਾੜ੍ਹਾ ਮੁੱਛ ਸਿਰ ਕੇਸ ਬਨਾਈ । ਹੈ ਇਹ ਦਿ੍ੜ ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਰਜ਼ਾਈ ।
ਮੇਟ ਰਜ਼ਾਇ ਜੁ ਸੀਸ ਮੁੰਡਾਵੈ । ਕਹੁ ਤੇ ਜਗ ਕੈਸੇ ਹਰਿ ਪਾਵੈ ।

“ Sri AKal Purakh created the whole universe and then he fashioned the human body. He gave man a beard, moustaches and hair on the head. He who submits to His Will steadfastly adheres to them. They who deny His Will how will they find God in this world?

Renouncing kesh we denounce the giver and his will and thus we will find no acceptance in his court.

ਤਜੇ ਕੇਸ ਭੇਖੀ ਸਿਖ ਜਾਨ
ਤਿਸ ਭੇਖੀ ਮੂਰਖ ਗੁਰ ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਨਾਹਿ
ਸੌ ਸਾਖੀ

Renouncing his Kesh he has become an imposter such a foolish imposter can never receive darshan in Sri Guru Jis court.

ਇਹੈ ਮੋਰ ਆਗਯਾ ਸੁਨੋ ਲੈ ਪਿਆਰੇ ।
ਬਿਨਾ ਤੇਗ, ਕੇਸੰ ਦਿਵੋ ਨ ਦਿਦਾਰੇ ।

"Listen O beloved ones without sword and Kes, I will not give my audience."
Gurbilas 10 - Bhai Sukha Singh

ਸਾਬਤ ਸੂਰਤ ਰੱਬ ਦੀ, ਭੰਨੇ ਬੇਈਮਾਨ।
ਦਰਗਹਿ ਢੋਈ ਨਾ ਮਿਲੇ, ਕਾਫ਼ਰ, ਕੁੱਤਾ, ਸ਼ੈਤਾਨ।

"God has made the human perfect, but the dishonourable destroy it.
They will find no place in the Court of Sri Guru they are like the unbeliever, dog and Satanist."
(Guru Nanak, Janam Sakhi Bhai Bala)

Without Kes we cannot win apporval in Sri Guru Jis court. Kesh is one of Sri Guru Jis seal.
ਛਾਪ ਗੁਰੂ ਕੀ ਗੁਰ ਸਮ ਜਾਨੈ, ਗੁਰ ਸਮ ਅਦਬ ਕੇਸ ਠਾਨੈ
Recognize Sri Guru Ji stamp ( kesh) as the Guru. Respect Kesh as you respect Sri Guru JI.

This seal is like a token without it we cannot get access to Sri GUru Jis court. Along with Kes, Keski is Sri Guru Jis stamp of apporval ( Bhai Sahib SIngh rehatnama). Sant Kartar Singh Ji mentions a hat is a sign of slavery while the dastar is our crown and makes us a sardar ( chief) . Keski (turban) gives us a distinct apperance. Keski lets the world know we are sons and daughters of Guru Gobind Singh Ji who is the King of Kings. Hats, scarfs, patkey, chunnis, rumaals are all signs of slavery. Keski is the sign of royalty and sovergnity. When we keep kesh and keski surely we are royal since we have the seals which give us acceptance in the most royal court " Sri Sach Khand".

When a person eats meat they bring dishonor to their body. When a person drinks they act foolish and they bring dishonor to their mind and body. When a person cheats on their spouse they bring dishonor to themselves and their family. When a person removes their kes they bring dishonor to their mind, body, and family. They lose honor in Sri Guru Jis court. Gursikhs are even forbidden to socialize and eat from such shameful people since Kes beadbi is a bajjaur kurehit. In a conversation between Sri GUru Nanak Dev Ji and Peer Bahudeen in Mecca, Sri Guru Ji said:
ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨ ਦੁਇ ਸਿਰ ਗੁੰਮ ਥੀਏ ਜ਼ਹੀਰ
Both Hindus and Muslims suffer due to kes beadbi.

Keeping Kesh alone does not bring us honor. Only when we cover our Kesh with Keski are we given full honor. Bare headedness brings dishonor. Sri Guru Ji states one who goes out in the public , prepares and eats without head covering is an apostate.
ਨੰਗੇ ਹੋਇ ਬਾਹਿਰ ਫਿਰੇ , ਨਗਨ ਸੀਸ ਜੋ ਖਾਈ
ਨਗਨ ਕੇਸੀ ਭੋਜਨ ਆਦਿ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲਾ ਤਨਖਾਹੀਆ
ਭਾਈ ਚੌਪਾ ਸਿੰਘ

What head covering does Sri Guru Ji say to keep?

ਜੂੜਾ ਸੀਸ ਕੇ ਮੱਧ ਭਾਗ ਮੈਂ ਰਾਖੇ, ਔਰ ਪਾਗ ਬੜੀ ਬਾਧੇ
Bhai Daya SIngh Ji

The answer is clear a big turban should cover the tied up kes. Proprely protecting our kes with a turban prevents any beadbi from occuring to kesh. Allowing dirt to touch the kes is considered beadbi.
ਕੇਸਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਮੰਦਾ ਹਥ ਲਾਏ ਸੋ ਤਨਖਾਹੀਆ
Touching the kes with bad ( dirty) hands one is an apostate.
Bhai Chaupa SIngh Ji

Only a dastar can propely protect the kesh. Anybody can keep their Kesh in fact it doesnt take much effort to keep Kesh, but only a few rare souls make the effort in following the Hukum of taking care of Kesh on a day to day basis.

In Viji Mukhat Granth there is a sakhi which mentioned the SInghs were in the jungle. One Singh noticed how an older Singhs beard was half white and half black. The Singh confessed that he dyed his beard. When they apporached Sri Guru Ji and asked if dying kes is acceptable. Sri Guru Ji said no and mentioned such people will be reborn again as a bear. Sri Guru Ji also states
ਜੋ ਕੇਸਧਾਰੀ ਕਲਫ਼ ਲਾਏ ਸੋ ਤਨਖਾਹੀਆ
A keshdhari Sikhi who dyes their kesh is an apostate.
BHai CHaup SIngh Ji

Besides keeping our kesh natural we are too take care of it, and comb it twice a day. THis prevents the kesh from being entangled. Sri GUru Ji sent out a Hukum to Kabul sangat stating the following
ਸਰਬ ਲੋਹ ਕੜਾ ਦਾ ਹਥ ਰਖਣਾ ਦੋਨੋ ਵਕਤ ਕੇਸਾਂ ਦੀ ਪਲਣਾ ਕੰਘੇ ਸਉ ਕਰਨੀ
Keep a sarab loh karha on your hands, and take care of your kesh twice a day by combing it with a wooden comb.

Kesh is a gift from Sri Guru Kartar Ji. Kesh keeps us warm in the winter and keeps us cool in the summer, since Sri Guru Kartar Ji has given us Kesh from birth if we do not take care and nurture this gift then we are simply ungrateful. Bhai Nand Lal SIngh Ji also mentiones that one should comb their hair twice a day and wear a dastar.
ਕੰਘਾ ਦੋਵੇਂ ਵਕਤ ਕਰ ਪੱਗ ਚੁਣੇ ਕਰ ਬਾਂਧਈ
We are to physically comb our kesh twice a day but we are to spiritually comb our kesh through out the day.In the following verse BHai Nand Lal SInghJI regards his naam imbued swas as a comb. Everytime he jaaps naam with this special comb the love of WaaheGuru increases more and more to the point of crazy love.
ਸਬਾ ( amrit vela breeze, sugandhee swas) ਚੂੰ ਹਲਕਾਏ ਜ਼ੁਲਫੀਨੇ ਊਰਾ ਸ਼ਾਹਨ ਮੇ ਸ਼ਾਜ਼ਾਦ ਅਜਦ ਜ਼ੰਜ਼ੀਰ ਅਜ ਬੈਹਰੇ ਦਿਲੇ ਦੀਵਾਨਾ ਮੇ ਸ਼ਾਜ਼ਾਦ
When we tie our Kesh together in the center of our dasam duaar then all the power deriving from the Kesh magifies and we have greater force in doing naam jaap. When we do Naam jaap with full vigor then then naam vibrations penetrate in each rom thus combing our kes .

Guru Ji has given us hukum to spiritually comb our kes each and every second.

ਹਿਰਦੈ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਚਿਤਵੈ ਦੂਜਾ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਈ ॥
ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਹਰਿ ਉਚਰੈ ਖਿਨੁ ਖਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਸੋਈ ॥

and
ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਅਪਨਾ ਸਦ ਸਦਾ ਸਮ੍ਹ੍ਹਾਰੇ ॥
ਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਚਰਨ ਕੇਸ ਸੰਗਿ ਝਾਰੇ ॥੧॥

I keep Sri Guru JI close in my hear at all times with each rom I dust Sri Guru Jis charan

Sri Guru Ji resides in each rom
ਰੋਮ ਰੋਮ ਮਹਿ ਬਸਹਿ ਮੁਰਾਰਿ ॥
“On each and every hair, the Lord abides.”
and
ਲਖ ਬਾਗ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡ ਵਿਚਿ ਲਖ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡ ਲੂਅ ਵਿਚਿ ਆਣੈ।
Millions of universes are there in one small hair of God.
This is why we are to respect our kes and take care of it, and thus we are given the rehatnama
ਛਾਪ ਗੁਰੂ ਕੀ ਗੁਰ ਸਮ ਜਾਨੈ, ਗੁਰ ਸਮ ਅਦਬ ਕੇਸ ਠਾਨੈ

When we recognize and truly believe Sri Guru Ji is present in each rom we feel his presence much more and naam abhyiaas becomes much more easier. It doesnt take much effort to keep Kesh. We can keep kesh and look holy outwardly but such a show does not gurantee us acceptance in Sri Guru Ji court and earn his love.
ਦੇਸ ਫਿਰਿਓ ਕਰ ਭੇਸ ਤਪੋਧਨ ਕੇਸ ਧਰੇ ਨ ਮਿਲੈ ਹਰਿ ਪਿਆਰੇ ॥

Sri GUru Ji says he is not impressed by outwardly Sikhs he holds those in high regards who keep his rehat.
ਹਮਾਰੇ ਕੋ ਭੇਖ ਬਰਣ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਨਹੀ, ਰਹਨੀ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਹੈ
and
ਰਹਿਤ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਮੁਝ ਕਉ ਸਿਖ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਨਾਹਿ ।

When we keep the rehat of taking care of Kes we are really doing seva of Sri Guru JI. When we do Sri GUru Jis seva we will no longer become slaves! THose who keep Sri Guru Jis rehat and have no longer becomes slaves they are beyond praise!
ਕੇਸ ਏਕ ਪੁਨ ਜੁ ਰਹਤ ਪਾਈ ਤਾ ਕੇ ਮਹਿਮਾ ਕਹੀ ਨਾ ਜਾਈ
ਭਾਈ ਦੇਸਾ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Excellent post!

May the month of Bhadon bring Darshan of Vaheguru jee.

Kulbir Singh
Doesn't ਰੋਮ mean "pore"?
In any case thank you for that post Sukhdeep Singh.
Nice article. I've heard various stances on whether the Kabuli Hukamnama is legitimate. It mentions something about not killing an animal which is bled to death. This implies, its ok otherwise.

I've heard various stances on whether the Kabuli Hukamnama is legitimate. It mentions something about not killing an animal which is bled to death. This implies, its ok otherwise.

Unjaan SIngh Jeeo, can you kindly provide the reference where the Hukumnama says anyhting about not killing a bleeding animal. Many people shape opinions about this rehatnama before actually reading it. A few weeks ago some SIngh was trying to tell me that the Hukumnama states Kesh is a kakkar. This isnt true.

I have read the hukumana from two different sources Khalsa Jeevan by Sant Jarnail Singh Ji and Amirt Philosophy from Giani Harbans SIngh Ji. Both Hukumnamas are identical and do not mention anything about killing a bleeding animal. "Khalsa Jeevan" actually has a photocopy of the exact rehatnama. Most likely you have read a translation which is referring to kutta which the translater has interpretted kutta as halal the process in which the animal is blood to death while reciting the kalam.

The hukumanma simply states
1) One should take Amrit from the Panj
2) one should keep kesh because its Sri Guru Jis mohar
3) One should not be without kachhera , and kirpan
4) One should keep a sarab loh karha and comb their hair twice a day with a kangha
5) DO not eat Kutta ( slaughtered animals/meat)
6) Stay away from tabacco
7) stay away from those that kill their daughters
8) stay away from meenas, masands, ram rai followers
9) recite Gurbani ,do Naam Abhiyaas and stay firm in Gurmat.

I see nothing questionable or anything that contradicts Gurmat with the above hukumnama for this reason I dont questoin its authenticity. It is possible that the mention of keski was omitted in this Hukumnama by from some anti panthic people,but overall the Hukumnama supports Gurmat Maryada.

Doesn't ਰੋਮ mean "pore"?

I think Rom refers to Kesh and not pore. MahaKosh defines Rom as vaal, kesh.
Sukhdeep Singh Ji,

It says - Sarbat Sangat Abhakiya dha kutha maas kavay nahi. Sarbat Sangat should not eat kutha meat an animal that is bled or slaughtered to death in the Muslim way. I thought that this was the definition, until you wrote point 5. After further reading, I believe the word 'Kutha' could refer to all types of meat not just halal for instance. When I get time, I will check the definition in Mahan Kosh.

It is possible that the mention of keski was omitted in this Hukumnama by from some anti panthic people,

There are lots of Afghani Sikhs in the UK and they believe the Hukamnama is authenctic

It says - Sarbat Sangat Abhakiya dha kutha maas kavay nahi. Sarbat Sangat should not eat kutha meat an animal that is bled or slaughtered to death in the Muslim way. I thought that this was the definition, until you wrote point 5. After further reading, I believe the word 'Kutha' could refer to all types of meat not just halal for instance. When I get time, I will check the definition in Mahan Kosh.

Unjaan Jee,
I remember reading that "kutha" is a farsi word meaning slaughtered, and so this obviously refers to all types of meat. However it was many years after that somebody said that kutha only referred to halal meat, which has now been taken as the more common interpretation.
I may well be wrong, if so someone please correct me.
But it could be great if you could check the definition and get back to us.
Please scroll to page 1234 for the definition of 'Kutha' from Mahan Kosh 1234. My work PC does not support Gurmukhi font and is standard desktop so cannot install them either. sad smiley

Says - Musalmani tareeke naal katiya jeev. An animal killed in Muslim way/fashion. Then mention abhakhya ka kutha bakra khanha tuk from Asa Di Vaar. There are some other words either side that I dont understand.
Sujjan Singh Jeeo,

Bhai Sahib I was simply saying it is possible that ill-intentioned people could have got their hands on this Hukumnama. I dont think its likely but I would never rule out the possibility.
Nobody is questioning the Hukumnama because it doesnt mention keski. The Hukumnama does not mention extra marital relations but does mentions the other 3 bajjar kurehits. Does this mean doing the other bajjar kurehit ( extra marital relations) is permissible? Of course not. Just because it does not mention all five kakkars doesnt mean keski is mandatory. The rehat of Panj Kakkars is an oral tradition, the same with panj bania and other rehats.

BHai Kahn SIngh Ji was a meat eater himself; therefore, he is going to interpreet kutta in a liberal way. In his book about Jhatka, Bhai Randhir SIngh Ji has stated kutta refers to slaughtered animals. Either way whether the animal is killed slowly of fast doesnt make a difference for a Gursikh because both methods are classified as MANMAT.

If we are to take the logic you are practicing in interpreting old hukumnamas then this means we can eat all meat besides halal, because most of the rehatnamey say not to eat halal. Likewise we have permission to use all drugs but hooka.. We can also remove all kes but the kes on our head, and we can have any extra martial relations besides Muslim prostitutes. Obviously this approach is not practical and does not use much common sense.

Here is a detailed article about kutta
[www.panthkhalsa.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login