ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gurbani Viakaran, where to start?

Posted by rsingh 
For those(like me) who want to start studying Gurbani Viakaran, where should they first start. I try to study Gurbani to know as much as I can the Pad Arths to understand what individual words mean. From there where should one go next? Should one first start off by thoroughly understanding the concepts of Naav, Parnaav, Kriya, Veshashan, Kriya-Visheshan, Yojak, Vishmik mean and then go from there? The whole Kark concepts(karta kark, karm kark etc) related to the Lagu Matra is pretty advanced stuff. So where should one start?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
For some basic Punjabi grammer lessons you can have a look at my notes here:

http://punjabi.tiddlyspot.com/

This is not about Gurbani grammer. Its about general punjabi grammer, which might help you to grasp some fundamental concepts.
It is more important to understand how Gurbanee grammar is different from Punjabi grammar.
The grammar subject as such is very boring for any common person and there are many
who do not accept that knowing grammar is so important and few go to the extent of saying
there is nothing like grammar in Gurbanee.
So there is such a spectrum of thinking about Gurbanee grammar.

My personal experience is that it is utmost important to understand the significance of various
indications of matras given along with Gurbanee words so one can get true meanings from the
messages of Gurbanee.These indications are not man made(as many think) ,these matra ind
cations have been given by our GuRu only so it is our duty to understand them sincerely
to acquire Gurmati way of understanding Gurbanee.

For any new starter my suggestion is that one should first learn about the grammar understanding
of words related with matra of Aukad/Dulakad ,Matra of Biharee .Sihaaree..
One can see that in Gurbanee nearly 70% of the words are related to these matras only .Having
known this one can acquire the understanding of other Gurbanee indications.

Truely speaking the grammar understanding is devloped by practice like understanding of mathematics.
One should be truely interested in knowing and understanding this is equally important.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Daas

Prakash.S.Bagga
Prakash ji I think what rsingh ji is looking for a reference material/book/primer. So if you can suggest a book...
Mystical23 ji,

For this reference I would suggest one to go thru any Basic Book of even English grammar and initially understand the
complete grammar about NOUN words such as
What is a Noun
What are the types of Noun
What is the classification of Noun

For Gurmukhi readers also one can go thru any Basic grammar book of school level.

This way one can gradually proceed for other aspect of grammar like verb. adjectives ,adverb and prepositions etc.
It is important to see the application of learned grammar in Gurbanee as a regular practice.

If one is already familiar with the basics of grammar of words then the best book can be two Volumes on Gurbanee Viakaran by
Joginder Singh Talwara ji

Besides this one should acquire the knowledge of grammar of SANSKRIT this can be of great help in more clear
understanding of Gurbanee..

There should be no harm in taking the help of any grammar work which can be useful in improving the understanding
of Gurbanee.

These are my personal suggestions

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Daas

Prakash.S.Bagga
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login