ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Amritvela Sach Nau Vadiaayee Veechaar

Posted by rsingh 
ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਉ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥

In this tukh it is mentioned that Guru Jee is saying that at Amritvela one should do simran of ਨਾਉ and do ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ. My question is, what is ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ here referring to? What ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ should one do at Amritvela? does this mean we should do veechar of Gurbani? does ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ allude to doing Nitnemi banis in the morning or is this connected to the word ਨਾਉ here somehow?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

The Vichaar of the 4th Pauri of Siri Jap jee Sahib is vital to attainment of Vaheguru jee. In the preceding 2 Pankitis, Guru Sahib has listed questions as to what should be presented in order to behold the Darbar (of Vaheguru) and what to say from the mouth so that He (Vaheguru) may love us (i.e. mystical love that occurs when Darshan of Vaheguru jee is done). Ini response to these questions, Guru Sahib's answer is the aforementioned Gurbani Pankiti:

Guru Sahib gives us Hukam to do three things in order to see His Darbar and get His Love:

1. Have Amritvela (full Amritvela) in life.
2. Have Simran of Sach Naao i.e. chanting of Naam.
3. Do Vichaar of his Vadiyaaee.

The first two are obvious and the third one means to do Vichaar of his Vadiyaaee (greatness). This Vichaar can be done only if we know his greatness. On our own, we don't know anything about him. Only Guru Sahibaan have perfect knowledge of Vaheguru and this knowledge (Brahmgyaan) is listed in Gurbani. Therefore, doing Paath and Kirtan of Gurbani constitutes doing Vichaar of his Vadiyaaee.

Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh.

Kulbir Singh
For years I have mulled over this and certain other lines and by chance was mulling over it just day before. And for couple of years I have been meaning to reduce my thoughts to writing in detail but I am not yet fully confident and nor I have time. But in very brief I shall put it here:

- Japji Sahib, unlike other baanis, is much too abstract, mystical and philosophical. Certain other baanis, like Sukhmani Sahib are very simple in presentation of their thought, whether it is NAAM/Simran, or moralistic teaching, or relationship between Gurmukh, Prabhu, Sansar etc. This is because these baani are focused on teaching the Gurmukh way of life, and they directly address the audience, i.e. a Sikh.

-Japji Sahib, on the other hand is a mystical expression of the Heart of Guru Nanak. Nowhere is the meaning so dense, so ਸਾਰ -ਗਰਭਿਤ as is Gurbani.
- On a practical level, as a part of Nitnem, this serves a great purpose of providing complex, deeper thoughts which demand attention and effort on part of the reader/listener's mind. This has an effect of mind getting quite 'involved' with the baani and thereby turning the mind inward and detaching it from mental noise and constant chattering going on inside at the back.

- One of the major issues is trying to decipher what is the main issue of the Baani. Secondly what is the feeling, approach and treatment given to the subject on hand.

- My personal understanding is that Guru Nanak approaches divinity with a retrospective approach. Much of the man's existentialist thoughts revolve around explanation of Universe. As Ghalib so eloquently puts somewhere,' yaa ilaahi yeh maajra kya hai?'. Guru Nanak conceive the 'maajra' as being ONKAR. He sees that this ONKAR as being only One and the root and basis of everything.

- Now this is important here. I do not agree with traditional interpretation of Ik Onkar as meaning One God as against some beliefs of numerous Gods. This concept of God is mainly semitic in origin and brings into the mind of the reader as that of a Governor who sits somewhere behind the curtain and makes the world work without exposing himself. It is due to this wrong concept that questions such as 'Why did God do this?' or 'Why does God do this? or 'Why won't He do this?' arise.

-What Guru Nanak is conveying is that He has found out through direct experience that the Universe has a root, a base. Everything is springing out of It and remaining in It and later on dissolving in It. And he calls is Onkar. Kar denotes all pervasive, unbroken, infinity. And Guru Nanak attaches the prefix Ikk to this. He wants to convey his finding that Universe has Onkar as its base and that He (Guru Nanak) has found out that there is nothing Outside of Onkar, that Onkar is like an infinite Ocean within which everything exists. So in effect Guru Nanak is saying nothing exists except Ik Onkar. This is my interpretation of this. There is nothing except Ik Onkar. Complete realisation of Unity of Existence. The true experience of Brahm, in which the seer, the seen, and the seeing, all are One and the Same.

-Secondly Guru Nanak clearly sees that creation, existence and dissolution of Universe, which includes all phenomenon physical, biological, mental, everything, is the Only expression of Onkar and it is through connecting with this that one can connect with Onkar. This is evident by the fact that a major portion of Japji Sahib deals with thoughts about the infinite variety and expanse of Universe and its phenomenon. For example have a look at the 'Asankh' pauris.

-Understanding this evokes a feeling of awe and wonder, 'Subhaan', which is 'suhaan' in Japji Sahib. This feeling is vital and is also known as 'Bhaau'/ ਭਾਉ

-My understanding is that to have this ਭਾਉ is a main thing along with practice of Naam Jaap. And it is this ਭਾਉ which is called ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵਿਚਾਰ

-Gurbani asks the reader to indulge in ਵਡਿਆਈ of prabhu at so many places. One might ask, how is one to do ਵਡਿਆਈ ? How is one to sing praises. Obviously one sings praises of someone through the works which that someone has done. The work or expression of Onkar is the Universe. But just saying words aloud or in mind do not carry value. What is of value is the feeling. This feeling is ਭਾਉ and to have this feeling of Awe and respect and then look at all the universe is to do ਵਡਿਆਈ .

-Practically speaking the continuous experience which we are having through this body about self, our environment and its inter-action needs to be interpreted as a Divine Play. Having this in our heart, one then stills the mind through NAAM Jaap. This is the way of Gurmukh and this is how one becomes Sachiaar.

I have not been able to put this across very effectively but in general this is what I feel. I see this everyday when I recite Japji and try to decipher the meaning behind the words. Of course any poetical composition, especially a spiritual and philosophical composition, is open to interpretation and only author knows what he actually meant. Apologies for the inevitable failings and shortcomings.

- Japji Sahib, unlike other baanis, is much too abstract, mystical and philosophical. Certain other baanis, like Sukhmani Sahib are very simple in presentation of their thought, whether it is NAAM/Simran, or moralistic teaching, or relationship between Gurmukh, Prabhu, Sansar etc. This is because these baani are focused on teaching the Gurmukh way of life, and they directly address the audience, i.e. a Sikh.

-Japji Sahib, on the other hand is a mystical expression of the Heart of Guru Nanak. Nowhere is the meaning so dense, so ਸਾਰ -ਗਰਭਿਤ as is Gurbani.

Mystical SIngh Jeeo,

No doubt Sri Jap Ji Sahib is a deep and profound bani, but who are we mere mortals to say one bani is more mystical and deep then another bani. Sri JapJi Sahib and Sri Sukhmani Sahib are banis written by the one and same Guru, and ultimately they have the same meaning which is Naam Japo. Every pangti in Gubani is a mantra and the paras kala of each mantra provokes the reciter to do Naam Jaap.

The first (mool) mantar in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is mool mantar (Ek Oankar to Gurprasaad). Meaning one can only understand Ek Oankar through Gurprasaad ( Sri Guru Ji grace). Ek Oankar is not understood through philsophical means. Sri Guru Ji through his grace ( giving us naaM) teaches us Ek Oankaar. Sri GUru Ji then starts JapJi Sahib by stating Aad Sach Jugaad Sach Habhi Sach Nanak Hosi Bhee Sach. Sach here means Naam, and Naam was alway here from the very beginning, and will always be here, but only through Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji can one receieve Naam.

In the verses
The phrase ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ refers to NaamJ Jaap. Veechar is a synonym for Naam Abhyiaas, and one cant do Naam Abhyiaas unless they recieve naam and become a Sikh of the one true Guru. Sri Japji Sahib is not a philosphical text, instead Sri Jap Ji Sahib is bani which simply tells us to do Gurmat Naam Abhyiaas, and how to do GUrmat Naam Abhyiaas.
Having gone thru the views presented by Mystical23 and Sukhdeep Singh ji i feel it is important to have absolute clear whether
Numerical Number one should be taken as EK or IK.
I personally feel that the correct understanding of Gurbanee is basically related to the correct pronunciation and its understanding
as this is stated to be the ROOT of the Universe.
There is very clear observation in Gurbanee that No where in Gurbanee GuRu ji is telling ONKAAR as IK
On the Contrary one can see that it is EKANKAAR being refered as IKu...A Quote from Baanee Sukhmani as

KAEE BAAR PASREYO PASSAR

SADAA SADAA IKU EKANKAAR.

Can any one overllok the reference IKu EKANKAAR ?

Here the word EKANKAAR is PLURAL and its SINGULAR is EKANKAARu.

It can be observed that thru out Gurbanee ,GuRu ji is making reference of this EKANKAARu as THE ROOT of the Universe..

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Daas
Prakash.S.Bagga

Here the word EKANKAAR is PLURAL and its SINGULAR is EKANKAARu.

Could you please let us know what plural of Ekankaar means? Could you give a Gurbani Pankiti where "Ekankaar" is a plural?

Kulbir Singh
Thank you all for answering my question. I now understand this took much better. Shri Japji Sahib's bani is very deep. Every single tukh can be done deep veechar over and sometimes it's not easy to understand some concepts. And Mystical23 Jee, your post is truly deep and mystical.
Could you please let us know what plural of Ekankaar means? Could you give a Gurbani Pankiti where "Ekankaar" is a plural?

Kulbir Singh

Veer Kulbir Ji,

I am sure you have much better knowledge of grammar than me since I have been going thru your
several post.
This is a very preliminary question related to the very basic aspect of grammar that any NOUN/ADJECTIVE word is indicated with a matra of Aukad under its last letter is SINGULAR and the same word without matra of AUKAD is PLURAL.
This can be verified from any grammar Book of Either Prof Sahib Singh ji or Joginder Singh Talwara ji.

Thus The Words

EKANKAARu is NOUN /ADJECTIVE and is SINGULAR

EKANKAAR is PLURAL for EKANKAARu.

In Gurbanee mostly the word is SINGULAR as EKANKAARu.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Daas

Prakash.S.Bagga
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login