ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Daatun

Posted by Uttam Singh 
Daatun
July 08, 2012 09:11AM
Does anyone know where I could by daatun in the UK or online?

interesting article on daatun [www.sikhnet.com]
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Daatun
July 08, 2012 06:14PM
It seems like one can make their own Daatun using any tree. Im going to look more into this when I find out how to make one then I will share. Hopefully others that already know how to make one can share.

Thank you very much for mentioning about Daatun. In the past I never took the rehatnama literally I would always tell myself using a Western styled brush is the same thing as using a Dattan. But I never questioned Sri Guru Kartar Ji when he says use iron karha, or wooden scented comb so why should I question Sri Guru Ji when he says use a scented wooden brush? The article did have some strange mentionings, but it also mentioned some good points. I can appreciate the comments about karma. Ever since I have been using animal free bar soap and hand soap I feel like my conscience is much more clearer, and everytime I take a shower I feel much more clearner and I get much more anand.

Compassionate Sri Guru Ji does know the benefits wooden brush has on the environment and on our bodies. It makes sense to use recycble toothbrushes because other toothbrushes become a cesspool of bacteria and damage the teeth and mouth. Everyday we recite holy Gurbani; thus, we should keep the mouth clean, scented and healthy. If you look at the teeth from people In India you will notice there teeth is mucn more healther then those that are born in the West besides staying away from candies I think the Dattan strongly contributes to the differences of our teeth. I remember when I went to India my uncle gave me some sugar cane to eat. I said how am I suppose to eat this. He said with you teeth. When I tried eating I faced much difficulty with my weak teeth. He showed me through example and he made eating sugar look as easy as eating a bananna.

I wonder if Bhai Randhir SIngh Ji mentions anything about dattan. I find it highly unlikely that he would use a westernized tooth brush. Western toothbrushes were around in the 60's, but Baba Isher Singh Ji ( Rara Sahib) still mentioned to use dattan when brushing teeh. Sau Sakhi also mentions using dattan and japping naam while brushing teeth.

Thanks again for brining up this wonderful topic. I have learned alot and now Im on a mission to get a wooden toothbrush.
July 09, 2012 05:47AM
Well it looks like the miswak daatun is more easily available as its quite popular with the Muslim community.

I saw some sites selling Miswak but they seem to have added flavour to them which I don't think would be acceptable.

I have found this site which sells them online and it looks like nothing has been done to them which I think would make them ok to use. What do you all think? [www.miswakstick.com]

Veer Sukhdeep Singh Jeeo, shouldn't it be of a tree which has those particular nutrients and minerals? I think those listed in the article are the ones which are the most effective.

I agree with what you say- personally I think Gursikhi has many practical holistic aspects (not necessarily directly related to spirituality, more about lifestyle) which we are only rediscovering or turning to now.
July 09, 2012 05:49AM
Neem daatun online! I hope they ship to the UK

[neemtreefarms.com]
July 09, 2012 12:44PM
Uttam Singh Veer Ji,

The people who wrote the article are highly influenced by Aryuvedic medicine and vedic philosophy thus, the reason they speak highly of Indian trees like the Indian Neem tree and go as far as to say the Hindu godess Durgas resides in this tree. Waaheguru......

All trees have nutrients and minerals. The American Oak tree is known to have lots of nutrients and minerals. I dont think trees in India are any more special or sacred then trees elsewhere. Lets not be a treeist ( lol) .

My dad use to use a dattan as child in India. I will ask him what tree he used whenever I get a chance to bring up the topic.
July 13, 2012 12:01PM
People of Punjab used to do datun of kikar tree.It was very popular till 1960s. Neem is also very beneficial
but it was not found much in Punjab.

[suite101.com]

Another Use for the Bark and Twigs
In the local bazaar there are men who sell the bark and twigs from the babul or kikar tree to be used as toothbrushes. These are used to strengthen the gums and stop gingivitis and to whiten the teeth. They really do work instead of toothpaste as a tooth whitener.
July 13, 2012 08:19PM
Thanks for bringing up this topic. Daatan is the traditional way of cleaning teeth and it seems like the modern equipment including toothbrush and even electronic ones are not better than Daatan. We are going to explore this way of cleaning the teeth in the coming days. If someone can post their experience with Daatan, it would be great.

Kulbir Singh
July 16, 2012 02:21AM
i remember doing daatun in india during our last visit - the branch tasted so bitter b/c the flavor was 100x stronger than any toothpaste. It was fun but took a long time since apparently youre supposed to keep chewing on it for a while
July 16, 2012 10:32AM
I was surprised on reading this thread that daatun is being talked about as if it is a dead pratice. Bros, I lived all my life in Chandigarh/Mohali, a very modern city and daatun was easily available in many places, especially on sector 22 traffic lights across the Mango Shakes Shop. The seller used to sit on the open space on pavement in the evening. It might still be available, I am not sure.

In fact Daatun is still common in Punjab villages. The most common is Kikkar daatun. The youngsters don't do it, but most of the elders do it.

At my home back in India, we had a Neem tree growing in our garden and people from neighbourhood took leaves as well as branches for medicinal purposes all the time. The tree had to be cut recently.
Nobody actually sold daatun except in Chandigarh. Its always free, just break a branch and chew away!

You can plant a neem tree in your back garden. But be careful that in summers you shall have to take care of nimolees, the small round yellow fruits which fall from the tree all the time.In themselves the Neemolis are very medicinal too! They can be boiled and the water can be used to apply to skin for various diseases. Nimolees are also used to prepare Neem Oil, which is easily available in Khaadi Ashram Shops in India for very cheap rates. You can also get Neem Oil from Baba Ramdev Clinics, again at cheap rates. In fact many popular Ayurvedic medicines are available from Baba Ramdev clinics for VERY cheap rates. The shops are located all over including Chandigarh and Mohali.

The dried neem tree leaves are also available as powder from the above mentioned shops in India.

PS- If you plan to plant a tree for daatun in your back garden DO NOT plant a kikkar. Plant a Neem. Neem is very medicinal and has multiple uses. Kikkar is just a poor cousin which grows mostly in ujaardh(desolate) places :-) Plus kikkar is thorny.
July 16, 2012 10:34AM
And chewing on a daatun also has a positive effect on your peristalsis. It brings on a bowel movement!
July 16, 2012 10:47AM
Excelllent information Mystical jeeo. I do intend to try out daatun in the coming future. I am convinced of the benefits of daatun through this thread.

Kulbir Singh
July 16, 2012 11:19AM
Thanks for the info.

Having researched neem abit I have found that its meant to have certain internal effects on the body which makes me weary to use it....

I think I may go for miswak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login