ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Very Sad Incident Today

Posted by Uttam Singh 
Very Sad Incident Today
July 04, 2012 04:46AM
I was on the bus this morning, looking out the window and I see an adult man, with a dhari and patka... and a cigarette in hand.

The immediate thought came in my mind that I should get off at the next stop and go back to speak to him. Then I just thought, forget it the bus is going hes not going to listen, but just as the bus doors were closing I could not bear it and got off to go find him.
There he was on a busy high street shamelessly smoking away. He did not even seem to care when he saw me, with my dumalla and open dhari, approaching. I started speaking to him in punjabi saying "sardarji tusi ki kare ho, ah ki ah?", with no sharam at all he replied, 'cigarette hai' . I said to him how can you do this with a dastaar on (dastar automatically came out of my mouth). And with complete confidence his gobsmacking reply was 'Eh dastaar nai hai, patka hai'! I said, 'Kes ta rakhe ne, kara ta hai' (a gold 'kara' was on the same hand with which he was holding the cigarette).

I said to him do you not know what Sikhi says about this? While blowing smoke into my face he just mumbled away and then told me to just go and get on with my own business. I replied that I cannot do this as you have taken my Guru's roop and are doing badnaami of it. I recalled to him the sakhi of Guru Sahib's ghora but of course he did not care. After a while he just chucked his cigarette away and walked into a shop which I think was his.
I bore his insulting attitude as I believe our approach, especially the first approach should be one of pyar (but of course firmness) and the giving benefit of the doubt. I think if I see him again I will not be taking this approach.

Some important points to take away from this:

-A guy with sikhi saroop is smoking on a busy high street with no care that this is wrong
-This street has a fair amount of Sikhs walking up and down it, the confidence with which he is openly smoking tells me that other Sikhs must not be confronting him.
-No sharam even infront of someone who clearly looks amritdhari.

The purpose of me posting this is mainly to say, if you see something like this, make sure you don't just ignore it but give the person a piece of your mind. At the very least we must make sure that such people do not dare smoke out in public like this, or realise they must get rid of all outward displays of Sikhi if they insist on continuing. I had to walk the rest of the way home but I just could not tolerate what I saw. It is our duty to make such people account for themselves.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Shabaash to you for telling that Bhekhi that he was wrong. Most probably I too would have said something to this Bhekhi if I had seen him.

Such people who carry on such inappropriate behaviour while sporting Sikhi Saroop should be opposed publically. Otherwise, who knows in the future, people may start smoking openly with Sikhi Saroop as was the case in the 1970s when the students of Punjab were all influenced by the Leftist Naxalite movement.

Kulbir Singh
Re: Very Sad Incident Today
July 04, 2012 07:12AM
In such incident before approaching take a picture from your mobile. Then approach and tell the person that he/she is going to become Rockstar overnite becasuse I will be posting your Photograph on Facebook. Probably this will instil a little bit of Shame in that person.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
July 04, 2012 09:22AM
Sad incident but it's good you confronted him. Surely he must have a KaumNusht upbringing. Usually it is them who have little or no sharda for Sikhi.

Many of these missionaries/kala afghanas are also former KaumNushts which explains why they also have little or no Sharda left even when they become religious. Ghagha and Gurbaksh Kala afghana were also former Kaumnushts. These people are like a disease for their kaum.
I went through a similar situation a few weeks ago.

WHile I was waiting in line to purchase some items from a grocery store there was a so called sardar in front of me. He had a dastar and dhara. As I was putting my items on the belt, I noticed he had marshmellows. I was going to tell him they probably have gelatin ( pig) in them. BUt as I looked at his other items I noticed he had eggs, ham, and wine. I was shocked to see a singh/keshdari ( ?) buying these things. I thought maybe I should say something. But lately Ive been having a mentality to just let people be and not interfere. My mind kept telling me " its your duty to say something you coward!". So I tapped him on the shoulder and said " Brother, a Gursikh does not eat meat". His face then went red and he looked the other way trying to ignore me the whole time . SOme minutes passed after placing his groceries on the cart he turned to me and said in a very assertive voice " Where is it written!" . I responded Sri GUru Granth Sahib Ji! He then said I dont accept that, and took off real quickly.

I cant believe the condition of our community. Many people see dastar and dhara as a mere cultural thing. Its very common to see people with dastar drinking and eating meat. Even nowadays you see women with dastar but they still wear makeup,lipstick, earings etc.

ਭੇਖ ਦਿਖਾਇ ਜਗਤ ਕੋ ਲੋਗਨ ਕੋ ਬਸਿ ਕੀਨ ॥
ਅੰਤ ਕਾਲਿ ਕਾਤੀ ਕਟਿਓ ਬਾਸੁ ਨਰਕ ਮੋ ਲੀਨ ॥੫੬॥

ਹਮਾਰੇ ਕੋ ਭੇਖ ਬਰਣ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਨਹੀ. ਰਹਨੀ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਹੈ
waaheguru......
July 05, 2012 11:28AM
VahegurooJeeKaKhalsa,
VahegurooJeeKeeFatehjeo,
I saw a beautiful Singhni in Singapore, with kera on (in business suit), standing with office colleauges (mostly indians) and smoking away...then I saw 2 open dhari, dastaar wearing Sikhs coming into duty free shop where my siblings were buying alcohol to give as gifts to drinking family/ friends (yes, what can I do, wanting so much to join family to land of Gurmukhs Canada, but to be silent as I ride with them)...but coming back to 2 Gursikhs going to Canada/ Buffalo border duty free,...they also purchased alcohol, and left, at the amusement of my siblings, knowing how much I look up to Guru roop Sikhs (and was happily looking at them when they walked in duty free store)...but what a slap on my face that was.
Morale of story is as Gurbani confirms, Guru Sahib knows who is the genuine gem, and who is fake, on the day...what we can do is daily ardas for all to be able to join the boat of Guru Sahib, ONLY WITH HIS MERCY TO LEAVE JHOOT...as I may not be a meat eater (now), or never been alcoholic/ smoker, but I have extreme weakness with sleeping/ eating too much, anger, attachment (this is crucial as my bachi's life depend on ma's pyar), bathing with warm water mostly...even as I prepare to take Amrit (which is why my ardas to Guru Sahib is to deny me this privelege on the auspicious day, if my weakness does not qualify me as candidate)
Sab kich tu hai, tu hi hai merey Pyarey!
Bhul chuk muaf
VahegurooJeeKaKhalsa,
VahegurooJeeKeeFatehjeo,
Uttam Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> -A guy with sikhi saroop is smoking on a busy high
> street with no care that this is wrong

Very right

> The purpose of me posting this is mainly to say,
> if you see something like this, make sure you
> don't just ignore it but give the person a piece
> of your mind.

What I would do is, talk to the person in private. I would gently tell him, 'Look brother, you can do what you wish to do, but please keep in mind that you are carrying a Sikh image on your person. You do know that smoking is a Cardinal sin in Sikhism. So my request to you is please do not keep a Sikh image if you smoke. Or at least do not do this in Public. I cannot force you to do anything but can urge you to not harm the Sikh image. Your cigarette is nothing for you, its just an everyday dependency for you. But the Sikh image is very valuable. Plus you are hurting me and people like me by degrading the Sikh image. You seem to be a nice educated person, would you not care for such a thing?"

I feel that such words would make the person feel embarrassed and he would certainly comply. Soft words would bring his guard down and he would not be in a position to argue and take a stand. I feel this would be a more effective strategy.

Another side note- cigarette smoking is highly addictive and I know this not simply through TV and printed material but from the people who smoke. So expecting a Sikh person (who is smoking) to give up smoking is not a practical expectation. He CAN give up but most likely he will not make an effort to give up. Not till he actually, really, deeply wants to.
Therefore my reasonable expectation would be to make him feel embarrassed and as a result ask him to not to do this in Public.
Very opposite situation i had today. Was walking out of the class and heard from back, Do You know why Sardar ji's are Tallest people in Asia ? I looked back. Saw a South Indian abt 5'5" standing behind. He asked you know ? I kept quiet and he started talking to me. The praises he had in store for the Sikhs were in abundance. He went saying........

Indira Gandhi did a sin by attacking GT.
How can she attack the holiest place on earth ?
How can she attack those who save them several times ?
Sikhs saved Hindus and Indians.
If Sikhs would have not saved Hindus, There would be no hindu today
If i go to a Sikh temple, Sikhs ask me food first and then talk further, Is there any other such religion on earth ?

HE WOULDNT STOP ..........I kept Looking at him without saying a word

You saved the Hindus (he said atleast 10 times in 3 mins)
He Sikhs didnt lead Indian Army, Pakistan would have captured India.
Sikhs Laid udner the tanks for tehse Hindus.
They are thankless people

I was just stunned as its hard to praise another religion to that extent and also have such deep love and knowledge too. He then answered his own question.

You guys are tallest in Asia beacuse thats The nature's gift to you for the Principles,Values and love you have for humanity and the ALMIGHTY.

Vaheguru jee ka Khalsa Vaheguru jee kee fateh!
ਸਾਹਿਬ ਸਿੰਘ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very opposite situation i had today. Was walking
> out of the class and heard from back, Do You know
> why Sardar ji's are Tallest people in Asia ? I
> looked back. Saw a South Indian abt 5'5" standing
> behind. He asked you know ? I kept quiet and he
> started talking to me. The praises he had in store
> for the Sikhs were in abundance. He went
> saying........
>
> Indira Gandhi did a sin by attacking GT.
> How can she attack the holiest place on earth ?
> How can she attack those who save them several
> times ?
> Sikhs saved Hindus and Indians.
> If Sikhs would have not saved Hindus, There would
> be no hindu today
> If i go to a Sikh temple, Sikhs ask me food first
> and then talk further, Is there any other such
> religion on earth ?
>
> HE WOULDNT STOP ..........I kept Looking at him
> without saying a word
>
>
> You saved the Hindus (he said atleast 10 times in
> 3 mins)
> He Sikhs didnt lead Indian Army, Pakistan would
> have captured India.
> Sikhs Laid udner the tanks for tehse Hindus.
> They are thankless people
>
> I was just stunned as its hard to praise another
> religion to that extent and also have such deep
> love and knowledge too. He then answered his own
> question.
>
>
> You guys are tallest in Asia beacuse thats The
> nature's gift to you for the Principles,Values and
> love you have for humanity and the ALMIGHTY.

Vaheguroo, Vaheguroo, Vaheguroo.

Dhan Hai Guru! Dhan Hai Teree Sikhee!
[www.panthic.org]

ਭੇਖ ਦਿਖਾਇ ਜਗਤ ਕੋ ਲੋਗਨ ਕੋ ਬਸਿ ਕੀਨ ॥
ਅੰਤ ਕਾਲਿ ਕਾਤੀ ਕਟਿਓ ਬਾਸੁ ਨਰਕ ਮੋ ਲੀਨ ॥੫੬॥
Shabash VeerJee!....maybe with Waheguru Jees meharban he will rethink what you said! thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login