ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Current set up of Gurdwara

Posted by Gupt1 
Current set up of Gurdwara
June 25, 2012 04:07AM
In the majority of Gurdwara Sahiban there is a palki and stage alongside for katha and kirtan.

I feel that palki is not suitable and there should always be chandoya instead like at sri Darbar Sahib. Also the kirtaniye should be facing towards Guru Sahib and not the sangat. Not only Gurdware but this set up is also found in smagams.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Gupt1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the majority of Gurdwara Sahiban there is a
> palki and stage alongside for katha and kirtan.
>
> I feel that palki is not suitable and there should
> always be chandoya instead like at sri Darbar
> Sahib. Also the kirtaniye should be facing towards
> Guru Sahib and not the sangat. Not only Gurdware
> but this set up is also found in smagams.

This is true that day by day the maryada of putting Big Chandoya is vanishing.

The Gurudwaras which are being renovated and which are being built new, does huge decoration in the dome (from inside). Gurudwara prabandhak committee then argue that how the dome decoration will be visible if big chandoya is put. So the committee decide to settle for Palki and putting small channi on the ceiling of palki. This practice is then imitated by other Gurudwaras in the city so that they don't fall behind competition with other Gurudwara prabandhak committees. All this activity is really sad indeed !!!

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Re: Current set up of Gurdwara
June 25, 2012 07:43AM
The majority of Gurdwara Sahib worldwide for some reason prefer to have a large palki rather than chandoya. For me the palki acts like barrier to Guru Sahib. With the chandoya it is easier to have darshan of Satguru ji. For me chandoya feels right and is puratan tradition that is still carried out at sri Darbar Sahib.

It is true that Gurdwara's are focusing too much on the physical appearance of the building including palki. My local Gurdwara recently had a new palki fitted. Instead they could have just gone for the cheaper and better option, the chandoya.

Also can somebody write more about keertiniye facing towards Guru Sahib when doing kirtan. It seems as if only Jatha practice this.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh!
Both points raised by Veer ji are appropriate. Chandani is more impressive.
was listening to bhai pinderpal singh ji once and he mentioned that Guru Sahib should only be placed on a takhat and palki is only for transportation purposes
Gupt 1 makes some good points. The gigantic sized palk sahibs seems to be a fairly new invention in modern Gurdwara Sahibs. One of the Gurdwaras I attend which was recently built and has a modern design has a over extended Palk Sahib. One cannot even stand and do Chaur Sahib seva around such palki sahibs.

Whether you are facing Sri Guru Ji or Sadh Sangat shouldnt make a difference because Sadh Sangat Ji is the saroop of Sri guru JI.
Palki has a definite place in Satkaar of Guru Sahib but the use of Palki is to transport Guru Sahib from one place to another. Palki is like a vehicle to respectfully move Guru Sahib from one place to another and it is a Manmat to do Prakash of Guru Sahib in a Palki. In today's world it's akin to holding the Darbar of Guru Sahib while having Guru Sahib seated in a car.

Prakash must be done on Takhat Sahib with Manji Sahib on top and Chandoya Sahib on the ceiling. Palki seems to be a new development and as in Darbar Sahib in Amritsar Sahib, Prakash should be on a Manji with Chandoya on the ceiling.

Kulbir Singh
June 27, 2012 04:01PM
Bhai Kulbir singh is 100% correct- i argued against my local Gurdwara which is the biggest in Europe at present - they have palki but took of the chandoa after a while. when questioned they said Darbar sahib doesn;t have chandoa and there is no need for it ? is it true that Darbar sahib has no chandoa? Bhai Kulbir Singh jeeo could you please educate this moorakh a little more on the chandoa as i feel it is very significant as i am still in the process of debating with committing members at my local Gurdwara on this to reverse their decision.
ns44 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> when questioned they
> said Darbar sahib doesn;t have chandoa and there
> is no need for it ? is it true that Darbar sahib
> has no chandoa?

Who is this person that says Darbar Sahib doesn't have Chandoa Sahib. This is False.

If that person cannot go physically to Darbar Sahib to see then ask thay person to watch ETC-Punjabi or Zee-Punjabi Channel on TV when there is a Live Telecast Daily from Darbar Sahib in morning and evening (India time). Majority of the time camera Zooms and one can see Chandoa Sahib.

If ETC-Punjabi or Zee-Punjabi Channels are not available in your region then may be try searching Youtube for such video.

Otherwise the best option is to send that person directly to Guru Sahib's Hazoori in Darbar Sahib.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
June 28, 2012 06:20PM
jaskirat jeeo many thanks

can some one or yourself - shed some more light and the importance of chandoa - please i need more info to hit these committee boaks home and get them to put up the chandoaa again in our local.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login