ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
When reading in Laridar, which Bani is the hardest to read for beginners? or which Raag did you find the hardest to read?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Normally Bhagat Baani, Bhatt Baani and Salok Sehaskriti are the hardest to read for a new Paathi. Second hardest after the aforementioned Baanis are the 22 Vaars. If one can get fluent in Bhagat Baani, Bhatt Baani, Salok Sehaskriti and 22 Vaars, then one covers pretty much 1/3rd of total Baani. The rest of the Baani is comparatively easer to do Paath.

Kulbir Singh
When taking Hukamnamma, I find that Suhee Raag is the most difficult to read.
With the exception of perhaps Bhagat Baani in Raag Soohi, it is quite easy - on par with Raag Bilaval and Raag Sorath. Out of Raags, I have found Raag Saarang to be one of the hardest. Professor Udai Singh, who has done Sangat of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee, once mentioned that his favourite Raag is Raag Saarang and he passionately said that in Raag Saarang Vaheguru is Pratakh. Another Singh who is a good Paathi once mentioned that his favourite Raag is Raag Tukhaari. He loves to do Raul there.

My favourite Baanis to do Raul in Siri Akhand Paath Sahib are from Salok Sehaskriti to Bhatt Baani. I just LOVE Bhatt Savaiye. Other than that, the Baanis that I find extremely uplifting are Shabads of Mahalla 5 in Raag Sorath, Raag Bilaval and Raag Bhairon. I feel that if one is sick or is in some trouble, these Baanis really rejuvenate one; so much so that even a dead person can rise, if it can listen to these Baanis.

Having said that, the 7 Shabads of Mahalla 4 in Raag Maajh are just fabulously full of Bairaag. These Shabad are followed by just amazing Shabads of Mahalla 5 starting with Mera Mann Lochai Gur Darshan Taayee||. Each and every Shabad is of greatest height. What should one say in praise of these Shabads. Just read them to know what Daas means.

Then the Ashtpadis of Siri Guru Amardaas jee in Raag Maajh are just pure bliss. These Ashtpadis are rivalled only by the Maaroo Solhe of Mahalla 1 and Mahalla 3 in Raag Maaroo. If one reads the Ashtpadis of Mahalla 3 in Raag Maajh in one sitting or reads all Maaroo Solhe from Mahalla 1 to Mahalla 5 (there are no Solhe of Mahalla 2 and Mahalla 3), one finds that one's mind becomes still like an ocean. The effect is very similar to doing a concentrated Paath of Siri Sukhmani Sahib. Naam goes on effortlessly then.

Out of the Vaars, the Vaar Maaroo Dakhne is just Alaukik (out of this world). The language used is Lehindi Punjabi and the style is so raw, so blunt and so full of innocent love that the Paathi does not know how to sustain the Anand and emotions ensuing from it. Vaar Maaroo Dakhne is probably the hardest of the Vaars or at least in the same range of difficulty as Maajh kee Vaar or Malaar kee Vaar of Saarang kee Vaar or Jaitsree kee Vaar, but it is also the most Anand-giving Vaar. Then Asa kee Vaar is there to sing along with the Chhants of Mahalla 4. What is there in the world that can match the Anand of Kirtan of Siri Asa kee Vaar?

Out of Ashtpadis, other than Mahalla 3 Ashtpadis in Raag Maajh, the Ashtpadis of Mahalla 4 in Raags Bilaaval, Nat Narayan, Kalyaan and Kaanra, which constitute Siri Sukhmana Sahib, are packed with love and Bairaag for Darshan and Naam. Two Ashtpadis of Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee in Raag Aasa, and the ones that are also called Babar Baani, are very informative and are of historical value. Reading these Ashtpadis one gets the feeling of temporary nature of this world. Nothing is eternal here. All is just an illusion, it seems like.

Out of Chhants, my favourite are the 6 Chhants of Mahalla 4 in Raag Bihaagra. The following 9 Chhants of Mahalla 5 too are just amazing.

What should one say about Gurbani. The whole of Gurbani is just Amrit. When drinking a cup of Sharbat, can one tell which part of the cup has more sweetness and which has less? Same way, Gurbani is just full of Amrit, all over; we like certain Gurbani more because of our different Avastha and different language background and upbringing. As an example, Maaroo Dakhne may not have the same effect on someone who does not understand Lehindi Punjabi but one who can understand it, has Vismaadi effect. Same is true for Salok Sehaskriti; they are hard to read and understand but there is a lot of Rass if you understand them and pronounce them correctly.

Kulbir Singh
Many wonderful thoughts Bhai Sahib.

Whilst Doing Larreevaar Santhia I too found that the 7 Shabads of Mahalla 4 in Raag Maajh are Pure Bliss. The Chhants in Asa Raag and Bihaagra Raag are my favourites. All of Gurbani is Blissful, but certain Shabads and Raags hit different Gursikhs with different arrows of Bliss and Love. Whilst sitting in Rainsbhai Keertans, we can see when a Keertani starts a new Shabad, some Gursikhs are indifferent to the starting of the New Shabad, while some Gurmukh Sajjan can be seen in Total Anand and Bairaag at the start of a new Shabad.
Thanks Kulbir Singh Jee for your reply. It was a pure anand just reading it. I have a Laridar pothi of Bhagat Bani published by Taksal. To all other veers/bhains Is there a Padshed version of (Bhagat Bani pothi) available online in pdf somewhere so I can use that as a reference point in case I get stuck reading the Laridar?
I very much enjoy reading Sree Raag Shabads.

Maajh dee Vaar is challenging to read, the Bishraams are difficult, it must be learned with skilled Gursikhs. The dialect and words are from Islam if I'm correct.

Bh Kulbir Singh can you give more description and background on Maajh Dee Vaar
Bhai Kulbir Singh that is one of my favourite posts that I've read on this forum smiling bouncing smiley
Vah Vah, Bhai Kulbir Singh jee has made a very bairaag inducing post.

Reading that post made me want to do more paath from Guru Sahib's saroop and take in the anand of all different shabads and banis in Guru Granth Sahib jee.

I always love shabads or bani;s in which there is direct upma of Guru Sahiban. For example, Bhattan de saveyay are unmatchable in Sifat Salah of Guru Sahib. Also, Sri Raamkalee kee Vaar, Satta Balwand one, is very anandmayee in terms of Sifat Salah of Guru Sahiban

Preetam Singh
best post ever by Bh. Kulbir Singh jee.. i feel like doing your rees and trying to get similar feelings now. gurrrrrrroooo
Exactly Preetam Singh Ji, after reading this amazing post i too got the same feeling of thurst and eagerness to do more paath from Guru Sahib's saroop..

As Bhai Kulbir Singh Ji has mentioned, i went through 7 shabads of M4 in Raag Maajh and the effect of main binn gurr dekhai neend naa aave was all over my mind.

Though i couldnt figure out the lehndi punjabi in Maroo Mahala 1 Dakhnni but yes its aulokiktaa surely cannot be defined...my mind is still pondering upon-
bhitar kot gufaa ghar jayi, nau ghar thaapai hukam rajai
dasve poorakh alekh apaari aape alakh lkhaaedaa ll

What to say about the bairaag in Ashtpadi of M4 in (my favorite Raag) Raag Bilaval, when will moorakh like me have the avasthaa of-
khinn pal reh n sako bin naavai gurmookh har har paath parreeaa ll

And yes not to forget Gaurii Mahala 9 and Salok Mahala 9
mann rae kahaa bhaeiou te bauraa
ahinis aodh ghatai nahi jaanai bhaeiou lobh sang houraa ll

...in this ghor kaljug (both in physical world and in d mind) its truthness, its praticality, its relevence is increasing day by day.
It can even melt d rocks!

anyways Bhai Kulbir Singh Ji..keep on writing such triggering posts !!

Ravinder Singh
bhai Kulbir Singh ji,

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh!

How can one increase their understanding of Lehindi Punjabi. Are there are any books written in this dialect?

How can one increase their understanding of Lehindi Punjabi. Are there are any books written in this dialect?

There is quite a bit of Gurbani in Lehindi Punjabi. One can fine it particularly in Raag Siriraag, Gauri kee Vaar (Mahalla 5) Jaistree kee Vaar, Kuchaji, Suchaju and Gunwanti in Raag Soohi (Raag Soohi has many Shabads that are influenced by Lehindi Boli), Maaru Dakhne and few Dakhnas and Shabads here and there. If one does Paath of these Baanis, one gets required understanding of Lehindi Boli to understand Gurbani.

Other than that, in my early days, I read some literature in Lehindi Boli e.g. folk tales of Punjab, written by Vanjara Bedi (Sohinder Singh Bedi) in Rawalpindi Boli and it is similar to the Lehindi Boli as well. Actually the Lehindi Boli of Punjabi can be divided into two parts - the North and South. Rawalpindi and it's vicinity can be classified as South Lehindi Punjabi and Bahawalpur and Multan area can be classified as North Lehindi Punjabi speaking area. Now the North Lehindi Punjabi is more commonly known as Saraiki Punjabi. The current Prime Minister of Pakistan is a Saraiki speaking Punjabi.

Just want to write a bit more on the 6 Chhants of Mahalla 4 in Raag Bihaagra. All of these 6 Chhants contain the words "ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੁੜੀਏ" again and again in it's Pankitis. The Chaal and language of these Chhants is extremely sweet. The effect of tek of "ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੁੜੀਏ" brings Vismaad. When I first read these Chhants, the thought came to my mind that it is impossible to match the style and sweetness of this Baani. I kept going through these Chhants and then to my displeasure, the Baani came to an end after 6 Chhants. I wished there were more of these Chhants. Then I started the Paath of the next chapter of Chhants which belong to Siri Guru Arjun Dev jee. Siri Guru Arjun Dev jee is truly "Baani ka Bohitha". As soon as I read the first Pankiti of the Chhant and read the Tek of "ਮੇਰੇ ਲਾਲ ਜੀਉ" instead of "ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੁੜੀਏ", I was blown away. The Anand that had started with the Chhants of Mahalla 4 continued on while reading the 9 Chhants of Mahalla 5.

Kulbir Singh

Maajh dee Vaar is challenging to read, the Bishraams are difficult, it must be learned with skilled Gursikhs. The dialect and words are from Islam if I'm correct. Bh Kulbir Singh can you give more description and background on Maajh Dee Vaar

Out of the 22 Vaars of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee, 3 belong to Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee and Maajh kee Vaar is the first one. The other two are the famous Siri Asa kee Vaar and Malaar kee Vaar towards the end of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee.

The Pauris of Maajh kee Vaar are not that difficult to read but the Saloks, which too are mostly of Mahalla 1, are quite Mehnge (difficult). Some Saloks are in Farsi, and others contain difficult concepts. Siri Maajh kee Vaar is such Vaar where even adept Paathis falter and end up pronouncing certain words in Saloks wrongly and have difficulty finding correct Bishraams. It can be said that Maajh kee Vaar is "Garab-Ganjini" (breaker of pride) as far as Paathis are concerned. Right from the Saloks of first Pauri, the Paathi who has not taken Santhiya keeps guessing the correct Uchaaran and Bishraams.

I did Santhiya of this Baani about a decade ago along with Late Bhai Jagtar Singh jee and have done Paath of this Vaar many times but I am still always under fear when I do Paath of this Vaar. A Gursikh recently did deep Vichaar on this Vaar and was really overwhelmed by it. In this Vaar, towards the end, there is a Salok about Jain religion and their followers. Guru Sahib in Gurbani has exposed the wrong rituals and practices of many religions but He reserved the most harsh criticism for Jain Dharma. You have to read that Salok yourself to know what I mean.

Rest Vista jee when you come to Toronto, we can do Santhiya of Maajh kee Vaar together and enjoy the bliss of it. So do come soon!

Kulbir Singh
I am adding this page to my favorites. Can read again and again.
Vaheguroooo!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login