suicide

Posted by Theguptone 
suicide
May 20, 2012 03:49PM
what happens if someone does it?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: suicide
May 20, 2012 09:04PM
Suicide is a very big sin because you are throwing away the chance that Guru Sahib has given you for prapti. One would gather immensely bad karams from this action. Some Gursikhs say that the person who commits suicide will have to be in the jooni of a ghost for many many years, but only Guru Sahib knows what the exact punishment would be for this paap.

Preetam Singh
May 22, 2012 08:54AM
Due to some past Karma, one is put into a bad situation which could be poverty, abuse or whatever else that can push one into depression which in turn brings thoughts of suicide. If one commits suicide and does not go through the punishment that in the first place, placed one in a bad situation, then one would have to come back in a new Janam (life) and go through that situation all over again. But before that, as Preetam Singh mentioned, one would have to go through punishment for committing suicide, by becoming ghost or other such life-forms. It can mean suffering for many years and even centuries.

When one is in a situation that is bad enough to prompt one to commit suicide, one should try to take shelter of Guru Sahib. Go to Sadhsangat and seek help and pray incessantly. What else can be done?

Kulbir Singh
May 22, 2012 12:09PM
I agree to the above except in a situation one kills self to protect her honor as happened in the story of Bibi Anokh Kaur, Bibi Basant Lata, Many Sikh bibis at Rawalpindi during 1947 etc.
May 23, 2012 09:42AM
No doubt the bibian mentioned above were great warriors. But I don't think we should ever teach our daughters that suicide is an option. What about the hindu bibi who was captured by muslims and deprived of her honour.... she wanted to commit suicide too, but the Singhs who rescued her discouraged her. Instead, she was given amrit, and became a fearless warrior Singhnee known as Bibi Baghel Kaur jee.

Nothing is too horrible that naam cannot heal it. Also, there is no situation too terrible that naam cannot get us out. We always have Guru Sahib to turn to, even in the most dire of situations. What about the princess of Panchaala? "Panchalee ko raaj sabha meh, raam naam sudh ayee. Thaa ko dookh hariyon karuna mai, apnee paij badayee." When the princess Draupadi was being stripped naked in front of the entire court, by remembering even just keertan naam, Akaal Purakh himself came to save her honour.

Perhaps Bibi Anokh Kaur jee and others had already opened their dasam duaars, or perhaps what they had done was shaheedi for the sake of the honour of the Khalsa. But how can we, who are still just children in a Sikhi perspective, afford to lose this life without having attained paraptee? Giving up this life, either by suicide or by becoming vemukh, is the most tragic mistake possible in all of existence. The daughters of the Panth should be taught to faithfully come into the sharan of Guru Sahib before taking any actions in life.
May 23, 2012 10:20AM
For anyone who thinks their life is bad enough to justify suicide, please watch this video and be inspired:

May 23, 2012 11:23AM
Suicide is not an option and it can't be promoted at all. Sikhs fight till the last breath. The above bibian were only mentioned about not possibility of not becoming ghosts after killing themselves which was mentioned by veerji as the punishment of committing suicide (mistakenly mentioned Anokh Kaur but it was Anoop Kaur who got separated at Sirsa and got in hands of Mughals).
May 23, 2012 02:43PM
Harmeet Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Suicide is not an option and it can't be promoted
> at all. Sikhs fight till the last breath. The
> above bibian were only mentioned about not
> possibility of not becoming ghosts after killing
> themselves which was mentioned by veerji as the
> punishment of committing suicide (mistakenly
> mentioned Anokh Kaur but it was Anoop Kaur who got
> separated at Sirsa and got in hands of Mughals).

I was wondering who Bibi Anokh Kaur was, I've never heard that name from history before?
But I agree that the sacrifices of such bibian are exceptions to the case of suicide as being a paap. Rest Guru Sahib knows.
May 23, 2012 08:09PM
Great thoughts here - what else can be done ? Loads by Khalsa's absolutely TONS to do- example:

Firstly what leads to suicidal thoughts has to be examined and for that to happen the individual has to open up to someone- somewhere.

Issue is there is no social fabric structure for any sikhs to fall back to in the kaum. There is no one we can talk to- , we are a society that has within it's culture of beating up women - whether amritdhari - or not?

We as society have whether amritdhari or not have such parents who abuse their childeren so much emotionally to the hil - it's all hidden - what are those kids to do? Who can they goto? Do you know emotinal abuse is a MASSIVE killer?

I happened to have a relative in my extended family degree educated student in the uk- who had taken amrit - a year back - this year a shock hit him and his family- his mother suffering from kidney issues in hospital and then his father has a heart attack and dies. This kid disappears for a week only to be found he had got rid of his sikhi saroop and then killed himself by falling from a bridge. So what do we make up here -past karms so bad or is it that this kid needed some sort of social structure he could fall back on for support and counselling ??

We have million pound/dollar Gurdwaras all over the world but i cannot count on one hand of them support our kaum socially, if i am wrong please correct me. Look at the christans they have a father figure at the churrch who they can alwasy talk to - they have the samaratians. Where's ours?

It's ok to say keep doing naam simran and Gurbani - but how do we even know that any of our kaum's childeren actually feel Gurbani at heart.

It's a known fact in puraatan times we did have this in India - help each other as much as possible the panch system resolved all affairs. But there is a dire need for this in the western hemisphere.

Even jathebandies social support has weakened due to infighting and dissagreements in between other jathebandis.

The focus should be what can we do to stop it - ?
May 23, 2012 11:48PM
Harmeet Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree to the above except in a situation one
> kills self to protect her honor as happened in the
> story of Bibi Anokh Kaur, Bibi Basant Lata, Many
> Sikh bibis at Rawalpindi during 1947 etc.

With all due respect, Daas humbly believe that it was another form of Saheedi. Please let us not name it as Suicide.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
May 24, 2012 03:28PM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh Jaskiratjio,
It is suicide and not shaheedi, because following Gurmat is kanio tikhi, as my masi says truly so, the more one tries, the tougher the tests Gurujio imposes on us.
NS44jio, ironic that your relative (http://www.sikh24.com/2012/05/missing-pardeep-singh-from-birmingham-uk/) looks so much like my masi's son, who also did same, torn between pleasing mother and wife, also was a Gursikh, then cut his hair, and shaved after marrying Canadian wife.
His father, was a Giani, and my cousin was inspired to follow Gursikhi and greatly inspired by Guru Gobind Singhjio, but left his Khalsa roop after marriage, soul weakened to pressures of life, as I am weakening but know cause is because disobeyed Gurujio's Hukam for amritvela, living amongst Sat Sangat, depending on mortal for help, instead of having strong faith in Him; Waheguru, the giver of pain, and happiness to lead us, as this world has been, and always will be each one for his or herself, though this rule doesn't apply to Gurujio's Gems, who will risk their all, and lives for another Gursikh, because they are Var Var Guru Vitho!
Bhul chuk muaf
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
May 24, 2012 05:13PM
ks jeeo many thanks for sharing your thoughts.

To conclude we all are at diffferent stages of Gursikhe or life or whatever you may call it.

We will always be tested to the core of who we are - or claim to be -- this is the way of nature - but for our own sake to make us even stronger.

But there is a dire need for Gursikhs to support everyone who comes to the sangat of a Gurdwara - they have to be the fabric of social and religious structure- but 9% of the Gurdwaras have infighting and that is just doesn't help and we live in hope and pray that may maharaj bless us - with such seva of our own sanagtan and their issues - especially at a bare minimum of the ones that enter a Gurdwara everyday.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login