ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Akal Purakh controls, yet we get punished

Posted by MB Singh 
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

May be a topic like that was discussed earlier here. Kindly attach a link here.-------------We humans, work and behave, as puppets in the hands of AKAL PURAKH, yet we owe for our deeds, bad or good. A brief Gurmat view, may kindly be shared, Sangat Ji.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Bhai Sahib, do you mean to ask why it is that we pay for our deeds when Akaal Purakh makes us do everything?
Jee, Bhen Ji. It is a popular question by atheists as well as young ones. I need different aspects for dealing with this comment.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
MB Singhji, I eagerly await for the perfect answer too.
In order to then, also understand, why on a day that I did Naam simran all day, Waheguru tested me in, and I not only failed His test, but my child's confidence in her mother totally, because I thought I was defending my right as a parent, and a minority, attending my child's very important day at school?
Waheguru?
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Somewhat related is the chapter titled "Apparent Contradictions in Gurbani" (Chapter 17), starting on page 165 of the following book - Bandginama:

[www.esikhs.com]

The chapter provides an insight into the concepts of having to DO things - Simran, Paath, Keeping Rehat "vs." Akaal Purakh does everything.

Perhaps it will provide some clarification.
Daas is trying to translate one Katha and many mistakes might be committed in translation. Please Anjan samajh ke baksh lena. Daas Bhulanhaar, Guru Te Guru Di Sangat Bakshanhaar. Daas is still not sure if it answers the original question.

Bhagti Di Varta by Bhai Daya Singh Jee under the Hukam of Guru Jee.

Everyday Sangat use to take discourse from Guru Jee. One day Sangat did Benti to Guru Jee to explain the implications of Karma.
To explain the Karmas of Human Being (Prani) Guru Jee passed on this duty (seva) to Bhai Daya Singh Jee. Guru Jee told sangat to ask question as per their wish (Roochi) to Bhai Daya Singh Jee.

Now, Bhai Daya Singh Jee is going to explain Karma Da Nirna to Sangat.

First of all Bhai Daya Singh Jee did Benti to Sangat and said, "I am nothing. Guru Jee is all knowing. Guru Jee is Sarb Kala Samrath. I am a Alp Jeev. I am puppet in Guru Jee’s hand. Guru Jee Himself is speaking through me. I have no voice of my own to speak".

Now, listen to the Karma Gatha due to which Human Being (Manukh) gets Hell (Nark) or Heaven (Swarg).

There are 3 form/types of Karma :
(1) Keeremaan Karma,
(2) Sanchit Karma and
(3) Paralabdh Karma.

Like Quiver (Tarkash) contains Arrows. Similarly, Anthe-Karn is also a container which contains Mann-Budh-Chit-Ahankar in it. Actually these 4 (Mann-Budh-Chit-Ahankar) can be Compounded and be called in one word which we are calling it as Anthe-Karn. Tarkash Anth Hai Karn Majhar.

For Karma to Manifest it needs 3 Arrows in its Quiver.
1) Anthe-Karn – The container itself is needed to hold things (Karma).
2) Chetan Satta – The reflection (Jyot or Atma) of Akal Purakh.
3) Agayanta – Blackout of knowledge in Human Being.

Till these 3 things get together No Karma can be performed. Like the Quiver keeps Arrows in it. Similarly, Anthe-Karn is a container where Seeds of Karma are lying (the Karmas which we have been performed in previous births).

Now Anthe-Karn which is basically Mann-Budh-Chit-Ahankar is Root it does not have its own ability to move. It does Not have its own power (Shakti) which gives birth to the ability to make any kind of Movement. Anthe-Karn is like Stone.

Till Anthe-Karn gets Satta of Chetan (Jyot of Waheguru) it remain as Stone making No movement. For example Fan, Bulb and other Equipment is dead without Electricity. When Satta of Chetan (Jyot of Waheguru) enters Anthe-Karn (container) then it starts working. When Jyot goes back Anthe-Karn becomes Dead.

Jyot in Anthe-Karn is like the Solar Car which takes energy from Sun. Wherever Solar Car goes around the globe it functions because Sun is everywhere (it is Vyapak). Similarly, Akal Purakh’s Ray (Pratibimb of Chetan Satta) is everywhere (Vayapak) and His Jyot is falling on Human Beings. Only then we function or Anthe-Karn is working.

Next the Agayanta enters into Anthe-Karn only then Karma comes to existence.

Till now we have understood that Anthe-Karn is nothing but Mann-Budh-Chit-Ahankar. For time being let’s call it simply as Mann. The reason why it has 4 parts can be explained in this way. For example when Human Being is in Home he can be Father, in Bus Stand he becomes Passenger, in office he becomes Boss or worker. Like this Mann takes different role during different stages of activity. Hence, it becomes Budh, Chit and Ahankar at various points/stages.

Mann = When Anthe-Karn does Sankalp and Vikalp.
Budh(i) = When Anthe-Karn declares there is No God (foul plays of mind).
Chit = When Anthe-Karn goes into infinite loop of Thinking process (soche soch na hovai).
Ahankar = When Anthe-Karn gets into Haumai ( I, Me and Myself).

1st Stage : Formation of Anthe-Karn
Mud (in Sato-Gun state) contains Atam-Akash in it. Mud in this state is dry. When Agayan Roopi Water is mixed with Mud then Clay Pot is prepared. Using this analogy the Clay-Pot can be related to Anthe-Karn. This Anthe-Karn roopi Clay-Pot contains Gagan in it. This is called Ghattakash. (There are other type of Akash as well. Mattha-kash = Space under the Ceiling of any structure. Meghha-Kash = The Clouds in Sky. Chitdhha-Kash = Dasam Duar ).
Once this Anthe-Karn Vessel is ready the possibility to pour Karma Roopi Anaz (seeds) into it becomes viable.

2nd Stage : Entry of Atma
Atma alone cannot do any Karma. For example Engine of a Bus alone cannot carry passenger. It needs Tyres, Brakes, Gear, Structure etc... to make complete Bus. Only then it can carry passengers.
If Anthe-Karn is alone and there is No Atma then No Karma takes place. Without Atma Anthe-Karn is nothing but dead body (Mud or Dust).

3rd Stage : Agayanta – The Blackout of Knowledge.
Further, it can be stated that all the Karma is done in Agayanta alone.
Hau vich Aaya, hau vich gaya, hau vich jamya, hau vich mua, hau vich ditta, hau vich laya, hau vich khatya, hau vich gaya .
Complete life we remain in Haumai and we keep saying I, Me and Myself. We are putting all responsibility on us. On the other hand we should let Him (Akal Purakh) handle everything. Tu He, Tu He and Tu He.
If person keeps saying I have done this and that. Then the person gets caught into cycles of Karma. Instead the person should be saying, “Akal Purkah Himself is doing as per His wish”.
On daily basis Person keep doing things in Ego (Haumai) and commit Keeremaan Karma. When these Karma done in Hamai accumulates it becomes Sanchit Karma. Over the Birth cycles these Sanchit Karmas takes form of Paralabdh Karma.

If person says, “I am reciting Waheguru Waheguru on my own”. Then its fruit will not come even in centuries. Guru Jee says that “Chetan Satta main diti, Sarir main dita, Budhi main diti ....Te tu Waheguru aape keh lenga ....Jad Kahavange ta tu bolega Waheguru, Waheguru, Waheguru...”.

Hence, it can be concluded that the very basis for Karma to come to existence requires 3 things together in one place i.e. Anthe-Karn, Chetan Satta and Agayanta. Even if one is missing then Karma does not occur. The Brahm-Gyani knows how to burn the Keeremaan and Sanchit Karmas (which at some stage becomes Paralabdh Karma and send us to different life/dead forms). For example if you set fire the Warehouse the Seeds kept in Warehouse will all get burned. Now even if you sow these burnt seeds the crops cannot grow. Similarly, Brahm-Gyani burns all Karmas with Naam and these burnt Karmas will not reap any fruit.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
Veer Jaskirat Singh Ji

The katha, u narrated, is very informative. It explains our body, mind, soul, thought, activities and Akal Purakh, inter-relations, beautifully. Thank you for that. Please, help us further understand the system, especially in context with my question. May be I have missed some crucial point in your text. So, can we say, everything done with "Homai" is undesired. And the next question crops up here. Who controls "homai"? We or HE?

A further clarification, pl.
As suggested by Veer ms514 Ji, I have gone through the chapter "Apparent Contradictions in Gurbani". The author Raghbir Singh Ji Bir, has put the problem, in following words.

"We receive our thought-waves through cosmic intelligence according to
certain laws. Since we cannot see the other side of the picture we fancy
that we are the authors of such thought-waves. These thought-waves govern
our whole life; our actions are impelled by these thought-waves, but these
thought-waves emanate from an unknown and an unseen source. Whatever
we do is done in pursuance of and in obedience to these thought-waves, but
since we know not, and understand not, the unknown, unseen Source, we
subjectively feel that we are doing and shaping and moulding our course.

In fact, thought currents come from an unknown Source into our brain
and the brain only interprets them. The central point worth remembering is
that the human brain interprets the thought waves emanating from Brahm
or God, according to its own development. It cannot create them. Just as
a typewriter - a mere machine cannot type anything of itself but whenever
we so desire, we can remove the lid and type what we wish, and similarly,
the human brain cannot work of itself. It is a machine, which receives, like
a radio receiver, thought waves transmitted by Brahm, or the In nite Soul.
The brain is only a medium to receive and transmit ideas. If and when we
understand the working and nature of the brain, we begin to understand the
Guru's dictum:

Living things, humans and all.
Do what God impels and prompts them to do.
jo hari lorhe so kare soi jia karan
Guru Arjan - Rag Majh."

In the beginning of the chapter, the author also defines the hypothesis to explain it

"The Author of the drama of the universe (Akal Purakh) gets the actors to play their
di erent roles according to His own design and plan. The actors do as they
are prompted and inspired to do.

At the same time, stress has been laid on the need for us to exert ourselves.
We have to be up and doing, to be good, to read the Gurbani to resort to
Simran to realize God, to earn our bread by the sweat of our brow and to
share it with the needy, to serve our fellowmen. Life is another name for toil
and sweat. In it there is no place for lotus-eaters."

In the chapter, the author Raghbir Singh Bir Ji, tries to explain the things that these apparently two types of dictums are for two types of persons

"If our labours do not carry us to God, then where is the point in asking
us to exert ourselves to toil hard, make supplications, share our wealth with
others and to serve and make sacri ces?
But we must remember that the two types of instructions are intended
for two di erent types of people, who are at two di erent stages of spiritual
growth; those who are in the preliminary stage and those who are at the
peak.
Sit by a physician for a while, and you will nd something amazing. For
some patients he prescribes a constipative drug, for others a purgative. To
some he suggests fomentation, to others an ice bag on the head. He is dealing
with di erent maladies in di erent cases. As the disease, so the remedy.
Similarly, the mind su ers from diverse diseases, and hence the treatment
cannot be alike."

And the author concludes like that

"And when we are God-intuned and realize the reality, the inner working
of the brain, we understand the Guru's dictum. But it is by no means easy
to develop this frame of mind. It takes years of exercise in concentration to
be introspective and God-centred.

Therefore, all beginners, instead of 1eveting their attention on profound
and intricate problems of the spirit, would do better to act on the fundamen-
tals of gurmat. Instead of aspiring to be philosophers, they would do well to
perform Simran, and patiently wait for the stage when they can grasp the
subtlest, profoundest, and sublime truths of the Spirit eff ortlessly"

The author has advised to avoid a dig in philosophy. ????????????
I will try to keep it brief and simplistic. The word Hukam has comprehensive meanings in Gurbani. Whenever Gurbani says that everything is in Hukam of Waheguru it refers to His laws and commands according to which the creation operates.

ਹੁਕਮੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਹੁਕਮ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥

It is not possible to fully comprehend Hukam since it is infinite as God Himself. What we do know from Gurbani is that according to the same Hukam, one of the laws is the law of Karma.

ਜੇਹਾ ਬੀਜੈ ਸੋ ਲੁਣੈ ਕਰਮਾ ਸੰਦੜਾ ਖੇਤੁ ॥

Doing good karma will yield good results and vice versa. This is all part of His laws. One can do bad or good deeds but there isn’t anything one can do that God does not know about or will be outside the boundaries of God’s laws. This is why Gurbani says that everything is in His Hukam.

Now when it comes to following Hukam or submitting to His Will, it has a different meaning. Consider this pankti:
ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਜੇ ਬੁਝੈ ਤ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਹੈ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥

This means that it is possible to follow and realize the Hukam. This implies that a human has a degree of freedom in following Hukam. Therefore, the word Hukam in this context cannot have the same meanings as the one above. Prof. Gurbachan Singh Talib has written a detailed article on this concept but unfortunately I cannot find it now. Basically, he interprets following Hukam as doing the deeds that please God i.e. virtues that please God. Reading it literally would render one to believe that there are some things one can do that God does not like but this cannot be the case. I think Prof. Sahib meant “pleasing God” as in doing the deeds which make us acceptable in His House. Gurbani says:

ਹੁਕਮਿ ਮੰਨਿਐ ਹੋਵੈ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ਤਾ ਖਸਮੈ ਕਾ ਮਹਲੁ ਪਾਇਸੀ ॥

Gurbani is clear that by following Hukam (bhaana man-na) means following rehat of Guru Sahib which will make us acceptable in the presence of God. From this I would conclude that Hukam has different meaning and implication depending on the context. Thus, everything being under God's Hukam and humans following the Hukam is not a contradiction but unison in Gurbani principles. Guru Rakha
Great views by Bijla Singh jeeo- -- keep them coming - now here is another take on this subject :

The word Karma is derived from the Sanskrit root "kr", which means "to do". Every action is Karma; physical or mental. If the Karma or action is the "cause", it's result will be the "effect". Accordingly, from a metaphysical standpoint, Karma also means the effects of previous actions.

All beings are under the influence of Maya's three qualities namely Raajas (mode of passion), Taamas (mode of ignorance), and Saatav (mode of goodness). Always present together in varying mix and degrees, these three qualities of Maya bind the Soul to the body and to the earth plane. Above these three qualities is the Hukam. Due to the influence of three modes of Maya's nature, Jeeva (individual beings) perform activities under the control and purview of the Hukam. These activities are called Karma.

The Gurbani states that all are under the purview of the Hukam. That also includes Karma.

ਹੁਕਮੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਹੁਕਮ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥: Hukamai andari sabhu ko baahari hukam na koi: Everyone is subject to Hukam; no one is beyond (exempt or outside of) Hukam. (sggs 1).
ਹੁਕਮੇ ਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਵਣੇ ਪਇਐ ਕਿਰਤਿ ਫਿਰਾਉ ॥: Hukme karam kamaavane paiai kirati phiaaou (sggs 66).
But, we humans alos have responsibility. That is, to listen to our Inner Voice (ਅੰਤਰ ਆਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਅਵਾਜ, the Voice of the Haakam or His Hukam...), to follow our Bibek-Budhi (discerning or discriminating intellect), be established in our Mool within (Source, Origin, Jot...) which is all ਸਚ (Truth, Pure Consciousness...), to earnestly engage in Shabad-Vichaar to attain Divine Knowledge (Aatam-Giaan...), and so on.

In other words, the Gurbani asks us to sow the seed of Naam in this Khet (field) of the body, so that we may attain Giaan (Divine Knowledge) to Realize the Mool (Source, Origin, Haakam...) that resides within.

The implication is that if we do all that the Gurbani asks us to do, our thughts (Mann), Speach (Bachan), and actions (Karam) will be influenced accordingly, which will also affect the outcome or effects of our efforts.

Otherwise we humans have no resposibility! We cannot get off that easily!

The law of physics states that the action and reaction are equal and act in the opposite direction. This is a universal fact. Similarly, If there is a cause, there is an effect. If there is a Karma or activity (cause), there is a reaction or result (effect). This is the underlying principle, which brings back the effects of one's actions to him. According to the Gurbani, there is no escape from it.

ਜੇਵੇਹੇ ਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਵਦਾ ਤੇਵੇਹੇ ਫਲਤੇ ॥: Jevehe karma kamaavadaa tevehe phalate: One obtains fruits according to the deeds which he does (sggs 317).
ਕਿਰਤੁ ਪਇਆ ਨਹ ਮੇਟੈ ਕੋਇ ॥: Kirat payiaa na metai koi: Past actions cannot be erased (sggs 154).
ਜੇਹਾ ਬੀਜੈ ਸੋ ਲੁਣੈ ਕਰਮਾ ਸੰਦੜਾ ਖੇਤੁ ॥: Jehaa beejai so lunai karma sandrhaa khet: As the man sows so does he reap. Such is the field of actions (sggs 134).
ਦਦੈ ਦੋਸੁ ਨ ਦੇਊ ਕਿਸੈ ਦੋਸੁ ਕਰੰਮਾ ਆਪਣਿਆ ॥ ਜੋ ਮੈ ਕੀਆ ਸੋ ਮੈ ਪਾਇਆ ਦੋਸੁ ਨ ਦੀਜੈ ਅਵਰ ਜਨਾ ॥: Daddai dos na deyoo kisai dos krammaa aapaniaa. Jo mai keeaa so mai paaiaa dos na deejai avar janaa (sggs 433).
This life is likened to a field (Khet) in which our Karma or efforts is the seed. We harvest exactly what we sow. No less, no more. Whatever seeds of Karma we sow, some sprout tomorrow, some the day after, others only years later. But they will sprout for sure.

This infallible law of Karma holds everyone responsible for what he is or going to be. Based on the total sum of our efforts, some feel close to the Mool (Source...) in this life, and others feel separated or far apart.

ਆਪਿ ਬੀਜਿ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਖਾਇ ॥: Aap beej aapae hee khaai: As we plant, so we harvest and eat (sggs 25).
ਕਿਰਤਿ ਕਰਮ ਕੇ ਵੀਛੁੜੇ ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਮੇਲਹੁ ਰਾਮ ॥ ਚਾਰਿ ਕੁੰਟ ਦਹ ਦਿਸ ਭ੍ਰਮੇ ਥਕਿ ਆਏ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀ ਸਾਮ ॥: Kirat karam ke veeshurre kar kirapaa melahu raam. Chaar kunt dah dis bhrame thaki aaye prabh kee saam (sggs 133).
ਕਰਮੀ ਆਪੋ ਆਪਣੀ ਕੇ ਨੇੜੈ ਕੇ ਦੂਰਿ ॥: (sggs 8).
There is a very popular expression in the west which goes like this: "What goes around, comes around". This expression, in fact, is nothing but the immutable law of Karma. According to this law, whatever one does always comes back to him to be worked out later. We reap what we sow.

According to the law of Karma, all of us since countless ages are engaged in creating Karma. At the same time, in accordance with the law of action and reaction, we are also incurring reactions or debts. Every debt must be paid off by the doer sooner or later. Often with heavy penalties and interest! When it comes to paying off the debts, nobody else can substitute for us. This is the law of nature.

Karma is considered to be the cause for the manifested body. Out of material consciousness or false ego, a person attached to body-consciousness performs both good and bad actions, which create Dharma (righteousness) and Adharma (unrighteousness). Dharma produces real Joy and Adharma produces sorrows.

ਅਹਿ ਕਰੁ ਕਰੇ ਸੁ ਅਹਿ ਕਰੁ ਪਾਏ ਕੋਈ ਨ ਪਕੜੀਐ ਕਿਸੈ ਥਾਇ ॥੩॥: Ahi karu kare su ahi karu paaye koee na pakarreeai kisai thaai ||3||: As we act, so are the rewards we receive; no one can take the place of another ||3|| (sggs 406).
ਕਰਮੀ ਆਵੈ ਕਪੜਾ ਨਦਰੀ ਮੋਖੁ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥: Karamee aavai kaparraa nadaree mokh duaar: By the past Karma the robe of this physical body is obtained. By Divine Grace the Gate of Liberation is found (sggs 2).
ਹਉਮੈ ਸਭੁ ਸਰੀਰੁ ਹੈ ਹਉਮੈ ਓਪਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥: Haumai sabh sareer hai haumai opati hoi: Ego is within all the bodies; and through ego the beings are born (sggs 560).
This law of Karma, for example, is responsible for man's repeatedsuffering. In this regard, one's mentality or state of being at the last moment is important. Whatever one thinks at the last moment depends on what he practiced throughout his life. In other words, whatever we practice in our entire life will determine our consciousness at the time of the death. For example, if one cultivates God-Consciousness throughout his life, he will die in such Pure Consciousness, and he will immediately be liberated from further transmigration. On the contrary, if one has cultivated the mentality of a fruitive worker (Mayaic effprts) throughout his life, he will naturally die in material-consciousness. As a result, he will have to take another body (based on his Karma) to suffer the consequences of thinking he thus created for himself.
ਜਿਤੁ ਲਾਗੋ ਮਨੁ ਬਾਸਨਾ ਅੰਤਿ ਸਾਈ ਪ੍ਰਗਟਾਨੀ ॥: Jit laago manu baasanaa anti saaee pragattaanee: That Vaasnaa, to which the mind is attached, at the last moment, becomes manifest (sggs 242).
As the scriptures tell us, one who dies in Manmukh consciousness (false ego-sense or Haume) transmigrates until all Karma are burnt. During this process, one's present body and activities become the background for the future and next life. According to scriptures, it is one's Karma that decides the place of birth, family, environment, etc. Hence the present is a product of the past, with the present Karma providing the blueprint for the future. The future is never a continuum of the past. The future is remolded under the pressure of present Karma.
ਸੰਜੋਗੀ ਆਇਆ ਕਿਰਤੁ ਕਮਾਇਆ ਕਰਣੀ ਕਾਰ ਕਰਾਈ ॥: Sanjogee aaiaa kirt kamaaiaa karnaee kaar karaaee: (sggs 75).
Physical death is not the end of Cosmic Drama (Leelaa). When we leave this world, our Karma or accounts go with us. Eeach Soul is required to settle its own accounts. For that reason, the Soul has to return to material world to reap what it has sown. This constitutes the birth-death cycle, also referred to as reincarnation, Awaagavan (coming and going) or Lakh-Chauraasee (the wheel of 8.4-million). No one can escape from this Karmic wheel of repeated pain and delusion. Everyone must pay off the old scores. Hence reincarnation depends on one's Karma.
ਨਾਨਕ ਕਮਾਣਾ ਸੰਗਿ ਜੁਲਿਆ ਨਹ ਜਾਇ ਕਿਰਤੁ ਮਿਟਾਇਆ ॥੧॥: Nanak kamaanaa sang juliaa nah jaai kirat mitaaiaa: Nanak, only your actions will go with you; the consequences of your actions cannot be erased (sggs 460).
Karma performed in material consciousness create tendencies (Vaasnaas), which seek their exhaustion through further actions. For which, man moves from one field of activities to another within the span of his life; creating unending barrage of more Vaasnaas in the process.
Thus, Karma can never release our personality from its misapprehension. Accordingly, throughout the Gurbani, we are urged to do only certain things and refrain from doing others. What it means is that God has given us the free will to choose and act. Because of this free will, we have the control over choosing our Karma. However, we have no control over the fruits of our chosen Karma. If we did, we would not be suffering. Nobody wants to suffer. We all want to be happy. Yet the entire world suffers. It is due to the fact that the fruits of our actions are not in our hands.

ਦੁਖੁ ਸੁਖੁ ਦੀਆ ਜੇਹਾ ਕੀਆ ਸੋ ਨਿਬਹੈ ਜੀਅ ਨਾਲੇ ॥: Dukh sukh deeaa jehaa keeaa so nibahai jeea naale: God bestows pain and pleasure, according to the deeds done; the record of these actions stays with the Soul (sggs 581).
God, Maya, the Spirit Soul, and the time are all eternal and interrelated. On the other hand, the Karma is not eternal. It is so because we can change our activities if we want to, thereby we can change the results of our actions or Karma.
What we consistently cultivate in our mind determines our character-formation and, ultimately, our destiny. As the mind is both originating and informing dynamic force, obviously, an intelligent choice of thoughts should change the character-formation in us. Apparently, the entire destiny of one's life is, in fact, in his own hands.

Thus, man is not the creature of his circumstances. He is the architect of his own fate. He can choose either the Mayaic Karma or the Karma of engaging in the Shabad-Vichaar. The choice is in his hands. The important thing the Gurbani urges us to remember is that the Mayaic efforts will bring the reactions (debts), while the Shabad-Vichaar will bring us face to face with our Mool (Source...). There is no deviation or escape from the reactions. This is the essence of the whole matter.

ਕਰਮਾ ਉਪਰਿ ਨਿਬੜੈ ਜੇ ਲੋਚੈ ਸਭੁ ਕੋਇ ॥: Karma upper nibrai je lochai sabh koi: According to one's actions, his destiny unfolds, even though everyone wants to be so lucky (sggs 157).
ਬੀਜੁ ਬੋਵਸਿ ਭੋਗ ਭੋਗਹਿ ਕੀਆ ਅਪਣਾ ਪਾਵਏ ॥: Beej bovas bhog bhogahi keeaa apanaa pavae: As are the seeds one plants, so are the fruits; he receives the consequences of his own efforts (sggs 705).
Most of our Karmas are collective. Our lives are interwoven with the thread of the All-pervading Self; also called the Divine Love. It is this Divine Love that brings harmony between souls. As such, the influence of our daily actions and behavior spreads in ever-widening circles. Consequently, as our lives are interwoven, we also suffer from each other's sins.
Also called God's "rod" or "Dandaa", Karma is the ultimate discipliner. Everyone of us in this human form is given the invitation to end the repeated suffering. The answer to suffering-free life lies in living a Karma-free life. As the life is nothing but a series of actions, can one possibly live a Karma-free life? The Gurbani shows us the simple and sure way.

ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਕਾਟੈ ਕੋਟਿ ਕਰਮ ॥੩॥੧॥: Gur ka Shabad kaatai koti karam ||3||1||: The Guru's Shabad eradicates millions of (past bad) Karma ||3||1|| (sggs 1195).
We can satisfy all our previous Karma with Divine Knowledge (Aatam-Giaan) cultivated through the Shabad-Vichaar. By the inner surrender of the falsehood unto the Mool within, one becomes free from Mayaic efforts. To put it otherwise, for one who acts Aatam-Giaan (Gurmat), there is no accounting of Karma. By submitting to God's Will or Hukam within, and becoming Shabad-Conscious, one ceases to create Mayaic actions.
ਚਉਥੇ ਸੁੰਨੈ ਜੋ ਨਰੁ ਜਾਣੈ ਤਾ ਕਉ ਪਾਪੁ ਨ ਪੁੰਨੰ ॥ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਸੁੰਨ ਕਾ ਜਾਣੈ ਭੇਉ ॥ ਆਦਿ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨ ਦੇਉ ॥: Chayuthai sunnai jo nar jaanai taa kayu paap na punnam. Ghatt ghat sunn kaa jaanai bheyu. Aadi purakh niranjan deyu: One who is established in the Fourth State (beyond Maya), is not subject to vice or virtue (Paap or Punn). One who knows the mystery of God the Absolute, who pervades each and every heart, he himself becomes the manifestation of the Primal Being, the Immaculate Divine God (sggs 943).
ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਕੀ ਟਹਲ ਸਫਲ ਇਹ ਕਾਂਇਆ ॥: Gobind kee tahal safal ih kaaniaa: Working for God, the body becomes fruitful (sggs 202).
The life is a series of different situations and related challenges and experiences, demanding appropriate response from individuals. When the response to a given experience is based on the Gurmat (Aatam Giaan...), the challenge is met and the problem is removed. Consequently, there will be no accounting for that action since there is no reaction to such Karma. But if the response to a given situation is Mayaic, there will be the reaction of that Karma; because the challenge is not met and the problem remains. The edict of the Gurbani is to respond to situations and related challenges according to the Gurmat (Aatam Giaan...), which will set us free from Karmic (pronounced Kaarmic) reactions.
Veer ns44 Ji, so beautiful write-up, on KARMA. Thank you Ji. But you did not "touch" the other part of the "story." Akal Purakh is creator of all and designer of all. The question is, why He likes to play a game, whereby "humanity" is in pains due to law of KARMA. He has made this law of Karma. Please do not mind it, if my words are too harsh. I chose these words, simply to focus on it. Please write few lines in brief to relate all your write up with that part of the topic.

Actually, as I told in the beginning, I needed these answers; to satisfy atheists; who do not believe in God. Shaheed Bhagat Singh, in his book on atheism also writes like that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login