ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Praivaachi Shabads in Gurbani

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
In Gurbani many synonyms have been used. Since Gurbani uses words from many different languages, many words have been used for one thing or item. As an example some of the words used for water are ਜਲ, ਨੀਰ, ਸਲਲ, ਅੰਭ, ਆਬ etc.

This file is still works-in-process. If you can think of more words to describe one thing, please do inform.

Kulbir Singh

Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Just after posting this post, remembered some more words for feet - ਕਦਮ, ਵਿਖ, ਵਿਖਾ, ਕਰਮ

Kulbir Singh
What a brilliant idea!
Father - ਪੀਊ, ਪਿਤ, ਪਿਤਾ, ਬਾਬੋਲਾ
Earth - ਮਾਟੀ/ਮਿਟੀ
ਸ਼ਰੀਕ, ਲਵੈ, (equal)
ਵੇਚੋਲੀ, ਵਿਸ਼ਟ, ਵਿਚੁ (intermediary)

Daas was going to do a post on Animals in Guru Granth Sahib, might as well include that here...

Animals in Guru Granth Sahib
ਘੋੜੇ, ਹੈਵਰ, ਤਾਜ਼ੀ, ਤੁਰੇ/ਤੁਰੀ, ਅਸੁ, ਤੇਜਣਿ, ਤੁਰੰਗ (horse)
ਹਸਤੀ, ਗੈਵਰ, ਹਾਥੀ, ਮੈਗਲ, ਗਜ, ਕੁੰਚਰੁ, ਮਤੰਗ, ਗਜਾਨ (elephant)
ਮਿਰਗ, ਹਰਣੀ, ਕੁਰੰਗ (deer)
Thanks Gurman Singh jeeo and Unjaan jee. These and many more words will be added to this file and uploaded to the Santhiya section at a later date.

Add ਹਯਰਾਜ to the list of horse related Praivaachi Shabads and ਫੀਲ to elephant synonyms.

Let the words keep coming.

Kulbir Singh
Fool - ਮੂਰਖ, ਗਾਵਾਰੁ, ਗਵਾਰ, ਮੂੜ, ਮੂੜੇ, ਮੂੜਿਆ
Sacrifice - ਕੁਰਬਾਨੁ , ਬਲਿ, ਬਲਿਹਾਰੁ, ਬਲਿਹਾਰਣੈ, ਵਾਰੀਐ, ਵਾਰਿਆ, ਘੋਲੀ, ਘੋਲਿ
Poison - ਬਿਖੁ, ਬਿਖੈ, ਬਿਖਿਆ, ਬਿਖੂਆ, ਵਿਸੁ, ਵਿਸੋ, ਬਿਸੀਅਰ

I urge everyone to please contribute as this will aid my little understanding of Gurbani words and maybe others as well.
another word for ਧਰਤੀ
ਭੂਮਿ
Unjaan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fool - ਮੂਰਖ, ਗਾਵਾਰੁ,
> ਗਵਾਰ, ਮੂੜ, ਮੂੜੇ,
> ਮੂੜਿਆ
> Sacrifice - ਕੁਰਬਾਨੁ , ਬਲਿ,
> ਬਲਿਹਾਰੁ, ਬਲਿਹਾਰਣੈ,
> ਵਾਰੀਐ, ਵਾਰਿਆ, ਘੋਲੀ,
> ਘੋਲਿ
> Poison - ਬਿਖੁ, ਬਿਖੈ,
> ਬਿਖਿਆ, ਬਿਖੂਆ, ਵਿਸੁ,
> ਵਿਸੋ, ਬਿਸੀਅਰ
>
> I urge everyone to please contribute as this will
> aid my little understanding of Gurbani words and
> maybe others as well.

Another word for poison:
ਹਲਾਹਲ

And another word for son...
ਸੁਤੁ

Another word for poison: ਹਲਾਹਲ

Some scholars believe that ਹਲਾਹਲ actually does not mean poison but it's a kind of very deadly poison that destroys the stomach as land is ploughed. Here ਹਲਾਹਲ has been classified as a kind of poison.

ਅਪਨੇ ਭੀ ਖ਼ਫ਼ਾ ਮੁਝਸੇ ਹੈਂ ਬੇਗ਼ਾਨੇ ਭੀ ਨਾ-ਖ਼ੁਸ਼।
ਮੈਂ ਜ਼ਹਿਰੇ ਹਲਾਹਲ ਕੋ ਕਭੀ ਕਹਿ ਨਾ ਸਕਾ ਕੰਦ। (Iqbal)

Kulbir Singh
Kulbir Singh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another word for poison: ਹਲਾਹਲ
>
> Some scholars believe that ਹਲਾਹਲ
> actually does not mean poison but it's a kind of
> very deadly poison that destroys the stomach as
> land is ploughed. Here ਹਲਾਹਲ has been
> classified as a kind of poison.
>
> ਅਪਨੇ ਭੀ ਖ਼ਫ਼ਾ ਮੁਝਸੇ
> ਹੈਂ ਬੇਗ਼ਾਨੇ ਭੀ
> ਨਾ-ਖ਼ੁਸ਼।
> ਮੈਂ ਜ਼ਹਿਰੇ ਹਲਾਹਲ ਕੋ
> ਕਭੀ ਕਹਿ ਨਾ ਸਕਾ ਕੰਦ।
> (Iqbal)
>
> Kulbir Singh

Vaheguro thanks for the definition...Sahib Singh had it simply translated as zehar, and same meaning is given in Mahan Khosh. The confusing thing with Praivaachi shabads is that although the word may have the same base meaning, there is still many differences in the EXACT translation. For example, ਭਉਜਲ and ਸਮੁੰਦ may have the same basic translation but there is a slight difference use. The meaning is of ਭਉਜਲ is based from two words, ਭਉ(fear) and ਜਲ(water) and is used when suffering to that "scary-ocean" that one must cross in the world hereafter.
For example
ਜਮ ਜੰਦਾਰੁ ਨ ਲਗਈ ਇਉ ਭਉਜਲੁ ਤਰੈ ਤਰਾਸਿ .
This would not be used in Gurbani to refer to an ordinary ocean.

On the other hand, ਸਮੁੰਦ would be simply be translated as ocean, and can be used to mean a normal "worldy" ocean as well.
For example
ਜੇਤਾ ਸਮੁੰਦੁ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਨੀਰਿ ਭਰਿਆ ਤੇਤੇ ਅਉਗਣ ਹਮਾਰੇ

Same goes with ਉਦਰ, i think its better translated to mean "womb" and not just simply stomach. I don't think its used in Gurbani to mean anything than a mothers womb, whereas ਪੇਟ would be used for both meanings. There are also other examples in the above lists.

Personally, I think there is a difference in all the words that only Guru Sahib knows, or else Guru Sahib would have stuck to one word to describe the same thing over and over again. Words like ਡਰ and ਭੳ or ਤਨ and ਦੇਹ, are sometimes used in the same line to describe something, which means that there has to be a slight different in their exact meanings.
I dont know what the English equivalent is of the word Naam, but in Gurbani naam has dozens of substitutes. Some include: Sach, Guru, Gurmukh, Gur-updesh, Gurshabad, Gurmantar, Mool Mantar, Beej Mantar, Hukum, Bhana, Razaee , Kudrat, etc.

Same goes with ਉਦਰ, i think its better translated to mean "womb" and not just simply stomach. I don't think its used in Gurbani to mean anything than a mothers womb, whereas ਪੇਟ would be used for both meanings.

ਉਦਰ has been used in the meanings of stomach as well:

ਹਿਰਹਿ ਪਰ ਦਰਬੁ ਉਦਰ ਕੈ ਤਾਈ ॥ ਅਗਨਿ ਨ ਨਿਵਰੈ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਨ ਬੁਝਾਈ ॥
(You steal money for the sake of stomach but still your hunger is not quenched).

Here is another one where this word has been used in the meanings of stomach:

ਕਰਿ ਪਰਪੰਚ ਉਦਰ ਨਿਜ ਪੋਖਿਓ ਪਸੁ ਕੀ ਨਿਆਈ ਸੋਇਓ ॥1॥
(Doing drama you filled your stomach and then slept like an animal)

Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh.

Kulbir Singh

I dont know what the English equivalent is of the word Naam, but in Gurbani naam has dozens of substitutes. Some include: Sach, Guru, Gurmukh, Gur-updesh, Gurshabad, Gurmantar, Mool Mantar, Beej Mantar, Hukum, Bhana, Razaee , Kudrat, etc.

Could you please quote some Pankitis where Naam has been used in the meanings of Qudrat and Razaaee?

Kulbir Singh
Another word for forehead:
ਸਿਸਿ

Another word for women:
ਗੋਰੀ

Empty:
ਖਾਲੀ , ਸੂਨੇ, ਸੁੰਞੇ, ਬਿਰਥਾ

Upside Down/Wrong way
ਬਾਵੈ, ਅਪੂਠਾ, ਊਂਧੈ

Family
ਪਰਵਾਰ, ਕੁਟੰਬੁ, ਸਾਕ . ਕੁਲ

Inside
ਮਾਹੀ, ਵਿਚ, ਮਾਹਿ, ਮਧੇ

Worry
ਕਾੜਾ , ਝੋਰਾ, ਚਿੰਤਾ

Another,
ਬੀਆ, ਹੋਰ, ਦੂਜਾ

Please correct if any mistakes
Another one for Father - ਬਾਪੁ
and for Mother - ਮਹਤਾਰੀ

Could you please quote some Pankitis where Naam has been used in the meanings of Qudrat and Razaaee?

Kulbir Singh

Sorry for the late response. Recently I have cut down dramatically on my computer time.

There are numerous verses in which the Arabic word Razaee means Naam. Here is just one example.

ਕੀਤਾ ਕਰਣਾ ਸਰਬ ਰਜਾਈ ਕਿਛੁ ਕੀਚੈ ਜੇ ਕਰਿ ਸਕੀਐ ॥

In the above verses GUru Ji is saying what happens and what will happen is his will ( raZaee). Everything occurs through naam ( razaee) we cannot do anything.

The arabic word Razaee means Bhana ( GOds will). According to BHai Sahib Bhai Randhir SIngh Ji the words Bhana ( GOds will), Hukum ( order) , and Naam mean one and the same thing. Refer to his books Gurmat Bibek and GUrmat Lekh. In GUrmat, the concept of Gods will is distinct from the Hindu Faith, and Abrahamic faiths.GOds will simply means naam.

There are some verses in which nature ( kudrat) and elements of nature are also referred to as naam. In a later date I wll provide some references.
There are many words in Gurbani which are used for " Naam Abhyiaas". Some include Jap, Jaap, Japo, Veechar, Sev/Seva, parheh/rareh ( read), bol ( recite), etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login