ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Seeing positive in Paap
September 20, 2011 07:05AM
Past is gone and cannot be changed. Future has not arrived, therefore we can't worry about it. The present moment is here and it's up to us whether to waste it or make full use of it in accordance to Gurmat.

It's our Paaps done in the past and currently, that separate us from Vaheguru jee. Bhagat Ravidaas jee in a very beautiful Shabad has requested Vaheguru jee to ignore his paaps and even suggested that there is one good thing about his paaps - that Vaheguru jee has got the name "Patit Paavan" because of our Paaps.

ਜਉ ਪੈ ਹਮ ਨ ਪਾਪ ਕਰੰਤਾ ਅਹੇ ਅਨੰਤਾ ॥ ਪਤਿਤ ਪਾਵਨ ਨਾਮੁ ਕੈਸੇ ਹੁੰਤਾ ॥੧॥
(If we had not done Paaps, O Anant Vaheguru, how you would have got the name - Patit-Paavan).

Patit means sinner Patit-Paavan means one who cleans or redeems or delivers a sinner.

The message of this Shabad is not that we should continue to do Paaps but this Shabad is making a plea to Vaheguru jee - It's true Vaheguru jee that we have done countless Paaps in the past but we are now feeling remorse for the same and your name O Vaheguru jee is Patit-Paavan; so do your duty of delivering us sinners.

In any case, Bhagats had such informal relationship with Vaheguru jee that they could say such things to Him. Such Avastha comes with intense Kamaaee of Naam and Gurbani.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Seeing positive in Paap
September 20, 2011 12:42PM
There is also extreme Nirmata In Bhagat jee saying Vaheguru how would you have gotten the name Patit Pavaan. It seems so innocently said which melts your Haumai. WHO SHALL DELIVER ME OVER THIS TERRIBLE OCEAN APART FROM MY BELOVED.

ਮਿਠਤੁ ਨੀਵੀ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਗੁਣ ਚੰਗਿਆਈਆ ਤਤੁ ॥
Sweetness and humility, O Nanak jeeo, are the essence of virtue and goodness
September 21, 2011 11:27AM
Question -- karmas control everything - are paaps entirely in our control?
September 21, 2011 11:46AM
Some of my favorite Gurbani pangtis related to this subject are

ਮਾਧੋ ਹਮ ਐਸੇ ਤੂ ਐਸਾ ॥
ਹਮ ਪਾਪੀ ਤੁਮ ਪਾਪ ਖੰਡ
ਨ ਨੀਕੋ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਦੇਸਾ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Waaheguru.....

ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਕਰਤਾ ਸਭਿ ਪਾਪ ਹਰਤਾ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਪਤਿਤ ਪਵਿਤ ਕਰਾ ॥

and

ਹਮਰੋ ਪਾਪ ਪੁਰਾਤਨ ਗਯੋ ॥ ਸਫਲ ਜਨਮ ਹਮਰੋ ਅਬ ਭਯੋ ॥ ਜਗੰਨਾਥ ਕੋ ਪਾਯੋ ਦਰਸਨ ॥ ਔਰ ਕਰਾ ਹਾਥਨ ਪਗ ਪਰਸਨ ॥੪॥

Jagannath refers to WaaheGuru.

Surely the attributive name of Destroyer of Sinner is most fitting for WaaheGuru. Many times people engage in Naam Jaap,
but give up in their bhagti because they have not encountered any spiritual experiences. WaaheGuru Japp is so powerful it destroys
millions of our sins. If we have not received any spiritual encounters ( darshan of Waaheguru or darshan of atma) then surely we are still in the process of destroying our sins which we have accumulated over many life times because the original sin( puaratan paap) of man is to forget
Gods Hukum ( naam). I dont believe in Adam and Eve sakhi, but I still enjoy the moral of this story.

ਹਮਰੋ ਪਾਪ ਪੁਰਾਤਨ ਗਯੋ ॥ ਸਫਲ ਜਨਮ ਹਮਰੋ ਅਬ ਭਯੋ ॥ ਜਗੰਨਾਥ ਕੋ ਪਾਯੋ ਦਰਸਨ ॥ ਔਰ ਕਰਾ ਹਾਥਨ ਪਗ ਪਰਸਨ ॥੪॥
September 21, 2011 03:21PM
Can you please write the sabad in English and Guru Ang kulbir singh ji because my phone does not gurmukhi format
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login