ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਮੋਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦੇਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਰਸ ਰੀਤਾ ॥੪॥੭॥੩੭॥

Posted by DSGj 
I think I have seen this maybe discussed before (a long time ago), but I cannot find it now, so let us discuss:

For a while now I have been wanting to discuss this, then yesterday in the evening before Rehras Sahib, a Hazoori Raagi at Darbar Sahib sang this Shabad (very beautifully), and I was waiting for them to get to the last line of the Shabad to see how they speak it:

ਕਰਿਕਿਰਪਾਮੋਹਿਨਾਮੁਦੇਹੁਨਾਨਕਦਰਸਰੀਤਾ॥੪॥੭॥੩੭॥

And like I have heard so many times from various ragis, parchaaraks, etc, again it was no different, they said:

ਨਾਨਕ ਦਰ ਸਰੀਤਾ.

How can it be ਸਰੀਤਾ when there is no such word that exists?!

Here are the closest words to it that I have been able to find:

ਅਸਰੀਤ -
ਅਜੇਹੀ ਰੀਤਿ. ਐਸੀ ਰਸਮ. ੨. ਸੰ. अशितृ- ਅਸ਼ਤ੍ਰ. ਵਿ- ਖਾਊ. ਖਾਣ ਵਾਲਾ. ਪੇਟ- ਦਾਸੀਆ। ੩. ਆਸ਼੍ਰਤ ਲਾਗੀ। ੪. ਇੱਕ ਖ਼ਾਸ ਲਾਗੀ, ਜੋ ਜਾਤਿ ਦਾ ਬ੍ਰਹਾਮਣ ਹੋਵੇ ਅਤੇ ਸ਼ਾਦੀ ਗ਼ਮੀ ਦੇ ਮੌਕੇ ਪੁਰ ਰਸੋਈ ਦਾ ਕੰਮ ਕਰੇ. ਅਸ੍ਰਤਾਈ "ਹੋਇ ਅਸਰੀਤ ਪੁਰੋਹਿਤਾ." (ਭਾਗੁ)

ਸੁਰੀਤਾ -
ਸੰ. स्व- हृता ਸ੍ਵਹ੍ਰਿਤਾ. ਵਿ- ਸ੍ਵ (ਧਨ) ਨਾਲ ਲਿਆਂਦੀ ਹੋਈ. ਮੁੱਲ ਲਈ ਗੋੱਲੀ. ਬਾਂਦੀ. "ਤੂੰ ਸਾਵਾਣੀ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਸੁਰੀਤਾ?" (ਭਾਗੁ) ਧ੍ਰਵ ਨੇ ਆਪਣੀ ਮਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਪੁੱਛਿਆ ਕਿ ਤੂੰ ਸ੍ਵਕੀਯਾ ਹੈਂ ਜਾਂ ਗੋੱਲੀ। ੨. ਦੇਖੋ, ਰੀਤ.

ਰੀਤ -
ਦੇਖੋ, ਰੀਤਿ। ੨. ਪਹਾ. ਵਿਆਹੀ ਹੋਈ ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਦੇ ਪਤਿ ਅਥਵਾ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਸੰਬੰਧੀਆਂ ਨੂੰ ਯੋਗ੍ਯ ਮੁੱਲ ਦੇਕੇ, ਕਿਸੇ ਆਦਮੀ ਨਾਲ ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਦਾ ਸੰਯੋਗ ਕਰਨ ਦੀ ਰਸਮ. ਪਹਾੜੀ ਰੀਤਿ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਕਰੇਵਾ.

ਰੀਤਾ -
ਵਿ- ਰਿਕ੍ਤ ਹੋਇਆ. ਖਆਲੀ. "ਰੀਤੇ ਭਰੇ, ਭਰੇ ਸਖਨਾਵੈ." (ਬਿਹਾ ਮਃ ੯) ੨. ਮਹਰੂਮ ਹੋਇਆ. ਵਾਂਜਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ. "ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਮੁਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦੇਹੁ, ਨਾਨਕ ਦਰਸ ਰੀਤਾ." (ਬਿਲਾ ਮਃ ੫)

Again Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha Jee is spot on and Prof. Sahib Singh Jee has went the totally opposite way, similar to this topic:

[gurmatbibek.com]

In all of Guru Granth Sahib Jee, there is no word ਸਰੀਤਾ, because the word does not exist. The same way in the other topic the word Mardan has a meaning made up to fit some people's views, again here a made-up meaning is given to a made-up word. It would be interesting to see how/where Prof. Sahib Singh Jee has gotten the meaning of this word.

This mistake is made all over the internet, books/literature, Keertan/Parchaar and all over the world!!

Please, if anyone can prove that the word ਸਰੀਤਾ exists and provide it's meaning, I would appreciate it. Because it's not anywhere else in Guru Granth Sahib Jee, and even ਸੁਰੀਤਾ is not found in Guru Granth Sahib Jee and only found in Bhai Gurdas Jee's Bani once.

Prof. Sahib Singh Jee gives the following definition:

" ਦਰ ਸਰੀਤਾ -
ਦਰ ਦਾ ਗ਼ੁਲਾਮ

ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਅਰਦਾਸ ਕਰ, ਤੇ, ਆਖ ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਮੈਂ ਤੇਰੇ ਦਰ ਦਾ ਗ਼ੁਲਾਮ ਹਾਂ, ਮੇਹਰ ਕਰ ਤੇ, ਮੈ ਆਪਣਾ ਨਾਮ ਬਖ਼ਸ਼ ।੪।੭।੩੭। "

Is there not any difference between ਸਰੀਤਾ and ਸੁਰੀਤਾ ?

And if we are to say that both words are the same and that we are to pronounce ਸਰੀਤਾ as ਸੁਰੀਤਾ, then please give another example from Gurbani where we do a similar type of pronounciation for a word that is written without at the starting of the word.

ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਮੋਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦੇਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਰਸ ਰੀਤਾ ॥੪॥੭॥੩੭॥ !!!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee has done the following pad-chhed of this Pankiti:

ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਮੋਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦੇਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਰਸ ਰੀਤਾ ॥੪॥੭॥੩੭॥

His comments are as follows: ਕਈ ਗਿਆਨੀ 'ਦਰਸ ਰੀਤਾ' ਸਹੀ ਪਾਠ ਨੂੰ ਨਿਖੇੜ ਕੇ 'ਦਰ ਸਰੀਤਾ' ਗਲਤ ਪਾਠ ਕਰ ਦਿੰਦੇ ਹਨ - ਦਰ ਦੇ ਗੁਲਾਮ ਨੂੰ। ਅਤੇ ਕਈ ਹੋਰ ਸ਼ਬਦਾਰਥੀ ਪਾਠ ਤਾਂ ਸਹੀ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ, 'ਦਰਸ ਰੀਤਾ' ਪਰ ਉਹ ਅਰਥ ਕਸੂਤੇ ਕਰ ਦਿੰਦੇ ਹਨ - ਦਰਸਨ ਤੋਂ ਸੱਖਣੇ ਨੂੰ (ਰੀਤਾ - ਸੱਖਣਾ)। ਠੀਕ ਪਾਠ ਦੇ ਠੀਕ ਅਰਥ ਸਪਸ਼ਟ ਹਨ - ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਦੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਰੀਤਿ ਮੈਨੂੰ 'ਘਣੀ' ਹੈ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰਕੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਨਾਮ ਦੇਹੋ। ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਨਾਮ ਅਭਿਆਸ ਦੁਆਰਾ ਹੀ ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਦੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਲਗਦੀ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤਿ ਹੁੰਦੇ ਹਨ।

What can be said in the light of above profound Gurbani Vichaar!

Gurbani Agam Agaadh Bodh hai jee.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login