ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shabad - Peevat Mard na laag or Peevat Mardan laag

Posted by Vista 
I came across this old post

All my life I had been reading "Peevat Mardan laag" and I heard everyone sing "Peevat Mardan laag". Most teekakaars have done the padd-chhed as "Peevat Mardan laag". I never really understood the pankiti but recently, I saw another padd-chhed of this pankiti and that too by none other than the great Vidvaan of our Panth - Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha. The padd-chhed he did of this pankiti is "Peevat Mard na laag" and the meanings he derived are that by drinking Amrit Rass, mard (pain, ragad, friction) does not occur. His comments about this are as follows:

"Sampradayee gyanis do meaning of Mardan as Marda de - "Peevat Mardan laag" - that "Raam rass peenday hunn marda (Santa) duaara" (That they drink Raam Rass through Mards (Sants). But these meanings are not correct because paath is "Laag" and not "laag(i)".

Then I read Professor Sahib Singh on this and he has done the meanings a bit different than Sampradayak Gyanis. He has interpreted this as "they drink amrit in the laag (sangat) of Gurmukhs". I was not satisfied.

Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha's meanings of "Mard na laag" i.e. drinking the Raam Rass, one does not feel the mard (ragad, friction, pain). His interpretation of the word "Mard" is more in line with the meanings of this pankiti. I could be wrong but "Mardan laag" just does not make sense to me. The word "Mardan" in the plural of "Mard" has not appeared anywhere else in Gurbani.

Baani is Agham Agaadh bodh. No one can know the end of Gurbani. This is the reason why Birs of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee should not be written padd-chhed. Most Birs have the paath "Peevat Mardan Laag" but this paath seems to be wrong and the correct paath seems to be "Peevat Mard na laag" as suggested by Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha. If this paath suggested by Nabha jee is correct, then all Birs of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee published in padd-chhed contain an error. This is a very serious matter because the true Guru, the Satguru, cannot have error and that too of such magnitude as missing Gurbani from it.

Guru Sahib bhali karan. May there be no padd-chhed printing stop.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
ਮਰਦਨ -
ਦੇਖੋ, ਮ੍ਰਿਦ. ਸੰ. ਮਰ੍‍ਦਨ. ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ- ਮਸਲਣਾ. ਮਲਣਾ. ਮੁੱਠੀ ਚਾਪੀ ਕਰਨੀ। ੨. ਪੀਹਣਾ. ਚੂਰਾ ਕਰਨਾ. "ਚਾਰਿ ਬਰਨ ਚਉਹਾਂ ਕੇ ਮਰਦਨ." (ਆਸਾ ਮਃ ੫) ੩. ਸ਼ਰੀਰ ਉੱਪਰ ਮਲਣ ਦਾ ਪਦਾਰਥ. ਵਟਣਾ. "ਤਨਿ ਮਰਦਨ ਮਾਲਣਾ." (ਆਸਾ ਮਃ ੫) ੪. ਸੰਪ੍ਰਦਾਈ ਗ੍ਯਾਨੀ ਮਰਦਨ ਦਾ ਅਰਥ ਕਰਦੇ ਹਨ- ਮਰਦਾਂ ਦੇ. "ਪੀਵਤ ਮਰਦਨ ਲਾਗ." (ਗਉ ਕਬੀਰ) ਰਾਮਰਸ ਪੀਂਦੇ ਹਨ ਮਰਦਾਂ (ਸੰਤਾਂ) ਦ੍ਵਾਰਾ. ਪਰ ਇਹ ਅਰਥ ਸਹੀ ਨਹੀਂ, ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਲਾਗ ਪਾਠ ਹੈ, ਲਾਗਿ ਨਹੀਂ. ਦੇਖੋ, ਮਰਦ ੪.

ਮਰਦ -
ਫ਼ਾ. [مرد] ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ- ਆਦਮੀ. ਮਨੁੱਖ। ੨. ਵਿ- ਦਿਲੇਰ. ਬਹਾਦੁਰ. "ਹੋਰ ਕੀ ਉਠਸੀ ਮਰਦ ਕਾ ਚੇਲਾ." (ਤਿਲੰ ਮਃ ੧) ਦੇਖੋ, ਆਵਨਿ ਅਠਤਰੈ। ੩. ਸੰ. ਮਰ੍‍ਦ. ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ- ਸਖਤ ਦਬਾਉ। ੪. ਸਖ਼ਤੀ ਨਾਲ ਮਸਲਣ ਦੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਯਾ. ਰਗੜ. "ਪੀਵਤ ਮਰਦ ਨ ਲਾਗ." (ਗਉ ਕਬੀਰ) ਰਾਮਰਸ ਪੀਣ ਤੋਂ ਮੌਤ ਦੀ ਰਗੜ ਨਹੀਂ ਲਗਦੀ। ੫. ਦੇਖੋ, ਮਰਦਨ ੪.

More discussion over here:

[www.tapoban.org]
Dass also reads as peevat mardan laag, i dont know from my little knowledge as i hardly tried to see padd ched pothi or bir for panktis which i have doubt, only gursikhs corrected me so many times in akhand paath sahib rauls and during vechaars.
As when i first started my sehaj paath from padd ched saroop in my college days my uncle ji asked me where do u go in early morning, my reply was i do sehaj paath at college gurudwara. His bibi (wife) than said to me why do u go gurdwara sahib to do paath if already LAREEVAAR saroop is parkaash here at home. My reply at that time was '' lai mere ko ni hunda jure akhraan to mereian taa akhaan ghumdian ne'' then i said teach me if u want me to do paath from lareevaar.
They said to me betaa we all goes to college till evening , whenever u have time do ardaas and make degh to start sehaj paath and if u stuck just do padd ched every single akhar then read whole pankti.They told me guru sahib is poorey and we are oorey so from lareevaar u r doing mistakes and guru ji tohanu baksh denge te teach karange. But padd ched is done by our own sikh preachers and nobody can correct whole baani as we all are oorey and do according to our own matt.
I think gain the knowledge from every where but never think u know better or some single person knows all.

Guru sahib knows all.
Bhulchuk maaf karni jio
No one is saying that they are better than anyone else. We are just friendly discussing and seeing various points of view and trying to learn from each other.

No one is trying to 'correct whole baani', Gurbani is already Perfect, but we humans have made many mistakes in the printing/writing of Gurbani.

It is true that when reading Lareevaar we make many mistakes. However, a lot of these mistakes are due to lack of grammar/spelling knowledge.

Please see the following to see why it CANNOT be ਮਰਦਨ and must be ਮਰਦ.

First let's look at the difference between ਲਾਗ and ਲਾਗਿ.

ਲਾਗ -
ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ- ਲਗਣ ਦਾ ਭਾਵ। ੨. ਵਿ- ਲਗਨ. "ਹਰਿਚਰਨੀ. ਤਾਕਾ ਮਨੁ ਲਾਗ." (ਬਿਲਾ ਮਃ ੫) ੩. ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ- ਚੇਪ. ਗੂੰਦ ਆਦਿ। ੪. ਵੈਰ. ਦੁਸ਼ਮਨੀ। ੫. ਪਿੱਛਾ. ਤਆ਼ਕ਼ੁਬ. "ਤ੍ਰਿਯ ਕੀ ਲਾਗ ਨ੍ਰਿਪਤ ਹੂੰ ਕਰੀ." (ਚਰਿਤ੍ਰ ੫੫) ੬. ਪਾਹ. ਪਾਣ। ੭. ਪਿਆਰ. ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ। ੮. ਲਾਗੀ ਦਾ ਹੱਕ। ੯. ਵ੍ਯਤੀਕ. ਤੋੜੀ. ਤਕ. "ਲਾਗ ਜੈਹੌਂ ਤਹਾਂ ਭਾਗ ਜੈਹੋਂ ਜਹਾਂ." (ਰਾਮਾਵ) ਤਹਾਂ ਲਗ ਜਾਵਾਂਗਾ.

ਲਾਗਿ -
ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ- ਅਗਨਿ. ਆਗ. "ਹਉਮੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਲਾਗਿ." (ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮਃ ੩) ੨. ਲਗਨ. ਪਿਆਰ. ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ. "ਭੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਲਾਗਿ ਨ ਲਗਈ." (ਆਸਾ ਅਃ ਮਃ ੩) ੩. ਤਆ਼ਕ਼ੂਬ (ਪਿੱਛਾ) ਕਰਨ ਦੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਯਾ. "ਤਉ ਜਮਿ ਛੋਡੀ ਮੋਰੀ ਲਾਗਿ." (ਜੈਤ ਮਃ ੫) ੪. ਕ੍ਰਿ. ਵਿ- ਲੱਗਕੇ. "ਉਧਰਹਿ ਲਾਗਿ ਪਲੇ." (ਸਾਰ ਮਃ ੫) ਲੜ ਲੱਗਕੇ ਉਧਰਹਿ.

There are different meanings in different situations as you can see above.

ਜਹਕੀਉਪਜੀਤਹਰਚੀਪੀਵਤਮਰਦਨਲਾਗ॥

The meaning cannot be ਰਾਮਰਸ ਪੀਂਦੇ ਹਨ ਮਰਦਾਂ (ਸੰਤਾਂ) ਦ੍ਵਾਰਾ, because ਲਾਗ doesn't create that meaning and it would have to be spelled ਲਾਗਿ, which is not the case.

One more thing, let us look at the whole Shabad:

ਗਉੜੀ ॥

ਰੇ ਮਨ ਤੇਰੋ ਕੋਇ ਨਹੀ ਖਿੰਚਿ ਲੇਇ ਜਿਨਿ ਭਾਰੁ ॥
O my mind, even if you carry someone's burden, they don't belong to you.

ਬਿਰਖ ਬਸੇਰੋ ਪੰਖਿ ਕੋ ਤੈਸੋ ਇਹੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥੧॥
This world is like the perch of the bird on the tree. ||1||

ਰਾਮ ਰਸੁ ਪੀਆ ਰੇ ॥
I drink in the sublime essence of the Lord.

ਜਿਹ ਰਸ ਬਿਸਰਿ ਗਏ ਰਸ ਅਉਰ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
With the taste of this essence, I have forgotten all other tastes. ||1||Pause||

ਅਉਰ ਮੁਏ ਕਿਆ ਰੋਈਐ ਜਉ ਆਪਾ ਥਿਰੁ ਨ ਰਹਾਇ ॥
Why should we weep at the death of others, when we ourselves are not permanent?

ਜੋ ਉਪਜੈ ਸੋ ਬਿਨਸਿ ਹੈ ਦੁਖੁ ਕਰਿ ਰੋਵੈ ਬਲਾਇ ॥੨॥
Whoever is born shall pass away; why should we cry out in grief? ||2||

ਜਹਕੀਉਪਜੀਤਹਰਚੀਪੀਵਤਮਰਦਨਲਾਗ॥

ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਚਿਤਿ ਚੇਤਿਆ ਰਾਮ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਬੈਰਾਗ ॥੩॥੨॥੧੩॥੬੪॥
Says Kabeer, my consciousness is filled with thoughts of remembrance of the Lord; I have become detached from the world. ||3||2||13||64||

The whole Shabad is in relation to the topic/theme of death (for the most part), and that is why the following meaning makes sense:

"ਪੀਵਤ ਮਰਦ ਨ ਲਾਗ." (ਗਉ ਕਬੀਰ) ਰਾਮਰਸ ਪੀਣ ਤੋਂ ਮੌਤ ਦੀ ਰਗੜ ਨਹੀਂ ਲਗਦੀ।

Also another thing to note is the Shabad right before this in Guru Granth Sahib Jee:

ਗਉੜੀ ਪੂਰਬੀ ॥
Gauree Poorbee:

ਸੁਰਗ ਬਾਸੁ ਨ ਬਾਛੀਐ ਡਰੀਐ ਨ ਨਰਕਿ ਨਿਵਾਸੁ ॥
Don't wish for a home in heaven, and don't be afraid to live in hell.

ਹੋਨਾ ਹੈ ਸੋ ਹੋਈ ਹੈ ਮਨਹਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ਆਸ ॥੧॥
Whatever will be will be, so don't get your hopes up in your mind. ||1||

ਰਮਈਆ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਈਐ ॥
Sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord,

ਜਾ ਤੇ ਪਾਈਐ ਪਰਮ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
from whom the most excellent treasure is obtained. ||1||Pause||

ਕਿਆ ਜਪੁ ਕਿਆ ਤਪੁ ਸੰਜਮੋ ਕਿਆ ਬਰਤੁ ਕਿਆ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ॥
What good is chanting, penance or self-mortification? What good is fasting or cleansing baths,

ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਨੀਐ ਭਾਉ ਭਗਤਿ ਭਗਵਾਨ ॥੨॥
unless you know the way to worship the Lord God with loving devotion? ||2||

ਸੰਪੈ ਦੇਖਿ ਨ ਹਰਖੀਐ ਬਿਪਤਿ ਦੇਖਿ ਨ ਰੋਇ ॥
Don't feel so delighted at the sight of wealth, and don't weep at the sight of suffering and adversity.

ਜਿਉ ਸੰਪੈ ਤਿਉ ਬਿਪਤਿ ਹੈ ਬਿਧ ਨੇ ਰਚਿਆ ਸੋ ਹੋਇ ॥੩॥
As is wealth, so is adversity; whatever the Lord proposes, comes to pass. ||3||

ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਅਬ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਸੰਤਨ ਰਿਦੈ ਮਝਾਰਿ ॥
Says Kabeer, now I know that the Lord dwells within the hearts of His Saints;

ਸੇਵਕ ਸੋ ਸੇਵਾ ਭਲੇ ਜਿਹ ਘਟ ਬਸੈ ਮੁਰਾਰਿ ॥੪॥੧॥੧੨॥੬੩॥
that servant performs the best service, whose heart is filled with the Lord. ||4||1||12||63||

Again, the theme of the Shabad is kind of similar and ਸੰਤਨ is mentioned in the second last line, the same as the Shabad we are talking about. But that is the difference, the word used is ਸੰਤਨ, not ਮਰਦਨ.

Here are other examples of the word ਮਰਦਨ used by Bhagat Kabeer Jee:

ਚੋਆ ਚੰਦਨੁ ਮਰਦਨ ਅੰਗਾ ॥
You apply sandalwood oil to your limbs,

ਚੋਆ ਚੰਦਨ ਮਰਦਨ ਅੰਗਾ ॥
You may anoint your limbs with sandalwood oil,

ਦੁਰਗਾ ਕੋਟਿ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਮਰਦਨੁ ਕਰੈ ॥
Millions of Durga goddesses massage His Feet.

Nowhere does Bhagat Jee use the word ਮਰਦਨ for referring to Saints.

All the points show that it cannot be ਮਰਦਨ.

If you feel that it can be ਮਰਦਨ, then please tell us why with some details.
We can't say that it HAS TO be ਮਰਦਨ because we have read it like that all of our lives.....that is no excuse.

Ragis, parchaaraks, paathis, granthis, sikhitothemax type software, etc - All need to be able to shed routine and ego, accept mistakes and be willing to learn, and get these types of mistakes fixed so that we don't make the huge mistake of purposefully changing Gurbani and reading/writing it wrong due to our ego and misleading others at the same time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login