Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exercise and BaNa

Posted by Sukhdeep Singh 
Exercise and BaNa
March 28, 2011 03:54PM
I believe through a strong healthy body Bhagati becomes more easier so
lately I have taken some interest in exercising. The problem is I dont know if
its acceptable to wear BaNa when exercising in the Public.

Because of the weather lately I have been exercising in-doors at home, but now since
the weather has cleared up I want to start exercising in the public. THe problem is I dont
know what to wear when exercising. A Singh once told me that BaNa should be kept
clean and shouldnt be dirty. Bhai Daya Singh Jis rehatnama also says that BaNa should
be kept clean. WHen I exercise at home I just wear my kashera with an undershirt but what can
I wear in the public? Obviously I cant go out in my kashera ( lol) . Is it acceptable to wear
shorts or track suit.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Exercise and BaNa
March 28, 2011 05:00PM
just go in your kachhera bro tongue sticking out smiley

Whats wrong with wearing track pants
March 28, 2011 05:05PM
your bana can also get dirty while doing langar seva, degh seva, or many sevas at the gurudwara but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't wear bana while doing those things. i hope u get wut i mean!
March 28, 2011 05:07PM
gsingh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> just go in your kachhera bro tongue sticking out smiley
>
> Whats wrong with wearing track pants

Track pants are not Gurmukhi Bana, therefore are not acceptable for gursikhs keeping banay dee rehit.
March 28, 2011 05:39PM
Sukhdeep Singh jee, you can wear a fatui (ਫ਼ਤੁਈ) while exercising in public. I know of these 2 Singhs from Toronto who have done this while playing soccer with their team members, and it didn't create any problem. And Sukhdeep Singh jio, when Singhs do Kaar Sevaa of the Gurudvara, their clothes as well as the body becomes dirty from top to bottom, but it shouldn't matter, because we're doing this for Guru Sahib. Bhai Sahib Kulbir Singh Ji has written about a Sikh from Shiri Guru Arjun Dev Sahib Ji's time, who did Seva of making bricks for Shiri Harmindar Sahib, and he was in a far dirtier(in terms of hygienic) situation than you, so I don't see why it should be a problem. The article that talks about that great Sikh can be found here, scroll down to the section with the heading "Bhai Bahlo's Sewa".
March 28, 2011 05:41PM
WJKK WJKF

Preetam singh mentions "Track pants are not Gurmukhi Bana, therefore are not acceptable for gursikhs keeping banay dee rehit."

Is it bajjar kurehit to exercise??

if not is there any mention of Guru Angada Dev Jee who started wrestling at Kadur Sahib that singhs had to exercise in bana?

Why are people making a meal out of such simple tasks in life such as exercising--?
March 28, 2011 07:30PM
Ns jee,

I did not say that wearing track pants is a bajjar kurehit, I only stated that it does not fall under the category of Gurmukhi Bana.
If a Gursikh is keeping banay dee rehit, then even when exercising they should wear bana. Wouldn't our puraatan gursikhs have done gatka(exercising) while wearing bana?
Ofcourse a chola may get in the way, but where there is a will, there is a way. Jaspreet Singh's suggestion is very good.
March 28, 2011 08:17PM
ns ji, why are you making a meal in understanding and answering Sukhdeep Singh ji's question?
March 29, 2011 12:06AM
A Gursikh who is keeping Rehit of wearing Gurmukhi Baana shouldn't wear other clothes even while exercising. If we look at our history we see that at early age Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee used to play war games and it involved heavy physical activity. This physical activity must have resulted in their Baana becoming dirty but this did not prevent them from wearing their Baana. Same way, when exercising, one can wear Kachhera and Kudti (Fatui). There is no need to wear track pants.

NS jeeo, this thread is relevant only to those Gursikhs who have adopted the Rehit of wearing only Gurmukhi Baana. No one said wearing other clothes is a Bajjar Kurehit but adopting Gurmukhi Baana is surely a step in the right direction.

Kulbir Singh
March 29, 2011 01:01PM
Yes thanks for the different views.

I guess the Singhs advice about BaNa should be kept clean stuck to my head. This is
why I asked the question. Another reason I asked because I plan to work with mentally retarded
people in the near future, and mentally retarded people are the least hygenic people that I know.

Since Singhs are to live a practical life its impractical to think we can do different
task without getting BaNa dirty. I have heard that Shaheed BHai Fauja Singh Ji
use to walk around the Gurdwara with BaNa and collect the animal and human excreta
with his own hands, and Im sure puratan Singhs worked in the hot dirty fields on Punjab and got
their BaNa dirty. Perhaps Bhai Daya Singh Jis rehatnama is stating that one one should start their
task with fresh ( clean ) task especially when doing GUrbani Paath/kirtan instead of stating BaNa should always be clean
even when doing worldly tasks.
March 29, 2011 06:33PM
WJKK WJKF

Jaspreet Singh Jeeo ,

question remains unanswered:

is there any mention of Guru Angada Dev Jee who started wrestling at Kadur Sahib that singhs had to exercise in bana?

Kulbir Singh jeeo , please enlighten this moorakh on the benefits of remaining in bana rehit?? - Didn't maharaj when visiting other states in India change their dress and clearly meniton " jessa dessh vesaa pheess"

I'm only learning - don't take it the worng way--
March 29, 2011 06:58PM
Sukhdeep Singh ji, I think what you are referring would mean when we are doing seva of Mahaaraaj, we are to be Suchay, which includes full body ishnaan, as well as wearing Suchay bastar, which would also include doing sodh-suhaai of the Siri Sahib as well. Other than that, I don't see a reason why one needs to worry about staying Sucha, because in certain situations, this is can not be possible. The example which you have given about Bhai Fauja Singh ji, the situation he was in, of course he could not have remained sucha. Maybe you have misintrepreted the Rehatnama.
March 29, 2011 10:45PM

Kulbir Singh jeeo , please enlighten this moorakh on the benefits of remaining in bana rehit?? - Didn't maharaj when visiting other states in India change their dress and clearly meniton " jessa dessh vesaa pheess"

NS jeeo, what's the need to get into profit-loss analysis when talking about Rehit. Aashiqs of Vaheguru are interested in only obeying the Hukams of Guru Sahib and don't worry about the benefits. Ultimate benefit of keeping Rehit (of any type) is known to Guru Sahib alone. All we know is that if we keep Rehit of Guru Sahib, it would please our Guru Sahib and that would result in Kirpa from Guru Sahib.

There is no such Hukam as "Jaisa Desh Vaisa Bhesh". This is actually a saying that is followed by weak minded individuals who change themselves as per the people around them. They are Ganga gaye tau Ganga Raam, Jamuna gaye tau Jamuna Daas but Khalsa remains Khalsa, no matter when he goes.

Kulbir Singh
March 30, 2011 01:30PM
NS Singh Jeeo

Have you ever rode a horse?

The adrenaline rush when riding a horse is unexplainable one feels like
they are on "Cloud 9". This is the same feeling we get when wearing chola.
Can you imagine having this feeling everyday? I cannot logically explain why
one feels happy when riding a horse. But I can explain why one feels happy when
wearing BaNa. First and foremost its Gurus Hukum to remain distinct, so obviously
fulfilling GUrus Hukum makes one feel like they are on "Cloud 9". YEs the public might
think " why is this bearded man wearing a dress" ( lol) but Guru Sahib lovingly says "look at my
Sikh he stands out in a crowd of millions"
March 30, 2011 02:33PM
Sukhdeep Singh it is good that you are working out. But you should not work out too much. It is good to stay healthy, but if we build up too many muscles it becomes hard to sit down with our legs crossed. So that will effect our bhagti. So work out to stay healthy but dont build up too many big muscles. I know a very chardi kala singh that staretd to work out and he said that it affected his bhagti in a bad way.
March 30, 2011 05:24PM
WJKK WJKF

Kulbir SIngh and Sukhdeep Singh Jeeo,

Many Thanks for sharing your thoguths and expanding my knowledge further.

Feeling of cloud 9 - - I have no doubt why you feel this way, indeed - it also means I will have to try it and see once I do I will sure to report back here without a doubt.
March 31, 2011 01:16PM
gsingh Wrote:
> Sukhdeep Singh it is good that you are working
> out. But you should not work out too much. It is
> good to stay healthy, but if we build up too many
> muscles it becomes hard to sit down with our legs
> crossed. So that will effect our bhagti. So work
> out to stay healthy but dont build up too many big
> muscles. I know a very chardi kala singh that
> staretd to work out and he said that it affected
> his bhagti in a bad way.

Lol Gagan Singh this is very funny. You have
seen me in person and thus you should know
how far I am from being to built ( haha). I dont exercise more
then 20 minutes a day. Its recommonded that people should regularly
exercise 3 times a week for at least 20 minutes.
Im mainly exercising to get fit as I am in bad physical shape.
March 31, 2011 04:23PM
LOl yes Sukhdeep SIngh I have seen you and you are very fat (haha joking). Yes I think we should keep ourselves healthy. Not gain too much weight. Daas has a problem with this, I am getting very overweight at the moment. I think if we focus on keeping our weight low and our bodys strong we should be ok. When we become focused on making muscles that is when we get messed up.
March 31, 2011 05:32PM
Yes your right there should be more emphasis on health and less emphasis on muscle

PS I think you are gaining too much weight from eating all the cookies and cakes at Guru Nanak Academy. You are starting to look like a granthi that doesnt exercise. ( haha , just kidding)
March 31, 2011 06:18PM
wat the heck is rong with having muscles?

dont u think the puratan gursikhs were ripped?

many ppl will argue that u dont need to excerise, just do bhagati...and your bhagati will translate into shakti on the battlefield..(yea thats correct 100% true) but it doesnt mean we shouldnt go to the gym. Singhs back in the day during the time the english ruled india used to excerise and were muscular. Eventually, the english ppl devised a plan to stop the punjabi/singhs from excerising because they were afraid that these ppl are too strong.(just look at gursikhs/punjabi ppl from the 1930-40's they are still really healthy and strong even at an old age)

I mean look at the singhs these days....there an insult to puratan gursikhs from Guru Hargobind Sahib Jee time and onwards...all they do is fill their mouths with pizza and delicous foods served at the gurdawara sahibs and at thier homes and nvr do any excerise to get rid of the fat they've put on thier bodies.

I bet gursikhs from puratan sama were muscluar, they werent skinny and chubby...if the singhs were chubby and fat then the mughals would have mocked them....instead singhs were buff and muscular and just looking at thier size must have scared the mugals!

Sukhdeep singh you stated the truth 99% of the granthis these days are fat and its evident by looking at thier stomachs... is this wat the khalsa should look like?

You are starting to look like a granthi that doesnt exercise.
Trust me gsingh is starting to create the "TAKSALI Stomach" (lol)

singhs and singhni should be muscular...so when they are in a time of danger they should be strong enough to protect themselves.

but one pitfall of having muscle is that it will bring hunkar, thats why its important to also do abyhaas of gurbani...
March 31, 2011 07:14PM
bhai
but one pitfall of having muscle is that it will bring hunkar, thats why its important to also do abyhaas of gurbani...
Very very true. Moreover, it should be noted that it is not acceptable to take pictures flexing muscles and then post them on social networking sites. Society is becoming increasingly narcissistic, but with Guru Maharaajs kirpa may we remain humble and stay away from such behaviour.
April 28, 2011 11:03AM
Track pants are fine. Certain situations, tasks require certain clothing and that is not a bad thing. What's more important is that you are safe and comfortable doing whatever that you do.

Bana is our kakkars and (chola/suit) and naam should reside in the heart and soul. Assumptions should not be based on clothes.

Exercise is indeed important. Just don't get too arrogant about it. Anything done over the balance limit is harmful.
April 28, 2011 11:17AM
Was anybody born with a chola or kakkars?
People come into the world with the cloth of a body, in which the soul is stored.

Guru Sahib gave it to us. Nobody gives anyone anything, it all gets handed down/passed as per God's will, and Guru and God reside in each other.
April 28, 2011 12:07PM
Leafy Wrote:
> Was anybody born with a chola or kakkars?

It depends on what you consider as your birth. If you consider
the day you took Amrit as your birth then yes we were born
with chola and kakkars. If you dont have respect for BaNa then
its best to reserve any negative comments.
April 28, 2011 12:15PM
What's negative about it?eye rolling smiley
April 28, 2011 12:24PM
People don't always wear cholay when they go for amritsanchars.
April 28, 2011 05:46PM
Waheguru Je ka Khalsa Waheguru Je Ke Fateh

Leafy jeeo please respect Bhai Sukhdeep Singhs opinion as I 'm sure he respects yours- we need to move on --not get in a loop rolling around the sam question with a different angle. If we are not strict enough for bana ' let's bring positiveness and learn more about it , as it certain to bring about benefit-- tell what in Guru Sahibs teachings that doesn't bring about benefit? I for one has promised to try bana , when i don't know, but will do at some point as I feel I need to experience it. SIkhi is there to be experienced - not kintuu prantuu 24*7.

Now - exercise -- is a must Gurbani is clear " Fethh tenaa kaa jeevaaa jo khayeee wadheeyaa pheet" -- please correct if I'm wrong.

Guru Hargobind Jee had Sikhs so strong that could carry their horse out of the battlefield if it got injured - it was a duty, imagine how strong you have to be!!!

Bit later Bhai Hari Singh Jee Nalwa --- got the title NALWA when he tore a lion's jaw with his own two bare hands and he didn't have time to reach for the sword when the lion attacked him. -- strength , the book I have read on Bhai Sahib has confirmation that english gora n teh same hunting expedition witnessed this happenning.

We need to be very strong - targets a bare minimum to bench press , deadlift , clean and press -- twice your body wieght.. and to be able to run ten miles at any time..-- bare minimum.

Check our Bhai Fauja Singh jee from barking - 100 years old walks 15 miles a day completed a marathon recently.-- there are numerous exemplars..

finally when you exercise cardio type for 30 mins non stop -- then immediatley sit for naam simran or gurbani -- the concentration and focus experience is outof this world -- just try and see- let's see how many Gursikhs will and report back here -i dare youhot smiley
April 28, 2011 06:34PM
Leafy Wrote:
> People don't always wear cholay when they go for
> amritsanchar

Hanjee, but they should be.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login