ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The famous story of 'ਛੇਅ ਛੱਪੜ'

Posted by JaspreetSingh 
Sadh Sangat ji, the following is a work of fiction. Thought it would nice to write a fictional Sikh story, which appears to be true historical Sikh account, not only for the reader's enjoyment, but also fill us all with the Gurmukhi Spirit that Puratan Tyaar bar Tyaar Shaheed Singh Singhnian had. Please do add your own.

As Tegh Kaur gripped onto her baby, while walking along a muddy pathway, she sensed some movement in the back. She quickly turned around, only to see a silhouette of a person suddenly dissapearing. Tegh Kaur was devastated. She had been running away from the Mughal choudhary by the name of "Riaz Khan". He had been following her, as he wanted her to convert to Islam, and surrender herself as his wife. He had already taken her husband, Sardar Doaba Singh into custody. Sardar Doaba Singh had to endure a lot of tortures in Riaz Khan's prison, but this was not known to Tegh Kaur. Luckily, she had found refuge in a secret hiding place controlled by Singhs of Malwa, known as 'ਛੇਅ ਛੱਪੜ'. She had done Ardaas to Guroo Sahib to help her and also save her Sikhi, and she had stumbled upon a Sikh spy, who had felt sorry for her, and told her the whereabouts of 'ਛੇਅ ਛੱਪੜ'. Singhs had been supporting her and her baby since then. As she strolled along the narrow road and singing the Shabad:"ਚਰਨ ਸਰਨਿ ਗੁਰ ਏਕ ਪੈਡਾ ਜਾਇ ਚਲ
ਸਤਿ ਗੁਰ ਕੋਟਿ ਪੈਡਾ ਆਗੇ ਹੋਇ ਲੇਤ ਹੈ ॥", an arrow suddenly came shooting at her. She panicked and ducked, as she gripped tightly to her baby. "Whew!", she sighed. She looked around, pitch blackness, as the sun had set and night was falling. The arrow landed on the ground, and attached to it was a note. She thought to herself "Either my Shaheedi day is coming near, as I know VaheGuroo is with me, or this is something else.
She first checked no one was watching her, then as she felt relieved, she sat straight up, plucked the arrow from the ground, and read the note. Her eyes filled with tears of ਵੈਰਾਗ਼ as she kept reading the secret message. She accepted it as Guroo Sahib's Bhana, and did Ardaas before Satgur Kalgidher Patshaah to bless her with the might to forever remain in Sikhi, and even die for just this cause. The note was a letter from Sardar Piaaraa Singh, who was her brother-in-law (her husband's brother). He had written in the letter that her husband had attained Shaheedi, as he could no longer undergo the severe tortures given by choudhari Riaz Khan, and had asked VaheGuroo to please save the Honor of Guroo Sahib's Sikhi, and couple of days later, breathed his last while in an unconscious sleep. He had also said that Singhs of 'ਛੇਅ ਛੱਪੜ had heard the news because the spy of theirs had leaked the news to the Jatha. Now the Singhs of 'ਛੇਅ ਛੱਪੜ wanted Tegh Kaur to quickly arrive at the hiding place, as they would try to find another suitable match for her. They knew she needed to live a happy life, and didn't want her to go through the same treacherous situations. After all, she was only 17. After gaining some consciousness, Tegh Kaur first did Rehraas Saaheb, and after while doing Ardaas, with folded hands and watery eyes, she prayed to VaheGuroo "Sache Patshaah ji! Ever since I became your slave, I had to endure a lot of pain, and this was all in your Bhana. You have given me enormous Sikhi strength to understand your sweet Will. Now in your Khushi, my husband, Bhai Doaba Singh has attained the beautiful gift of Shaheedi. Please bless him abode in Your Sweet Charan. May we meet in SachKhand. Please also bless me and my baby with the Sikhi Spirit that Bhai Taaru Singh ji, Shaheed Bhai Mani Singh ji, and countless other GurMukh Pyaare ChardiKala Shaheeds had. May I forever stay blossomed in your Charna Kamlaa Ki Mauj. May I never fall into the pit fall of Maya. Now in your Bhana, the evening prayer of Siri Rehraas Sahib has been done, please forgive any mistakes, and bless me with more Kamaai of Naam-Baani!

Saying this, she let out a loud Jaikaaraa, in return she heard numerous voices replying in "Sat Shiri Akaal". She, however, didn't feel scared now as she had just done Ardaas. From there, she continued her journey and soon reached 'ਛੇਅ ਛੱਪੜ'. The red flag was up, which meant Singhs were still up. She guessed it was because they were waiting for her. The fire was also still also lit. As she approached even closer, she saw some Singhs were training, while others were siting on wood log around Jathedaar Bhai Sahib Bhai Guru-Mohr Singh ji. She quickly went and said Fatheh to the Jatheydaar and the rest of the Jatha. They said their Fatheh back in return. The Jathedaar was a wise elder Gursikh, in his mid 50s and he was always engaged in reading Baani, doing Abhyiaas. Even while talking to Singhs about secret plans, inside Baani kept going. Anyways, he told her to have a seat. Then he spoke these sweet words "My daughter Tegh Kaur! With Guroo Sahib ji's Kirpaa you have finally arrived here. We heard the disheartening news of your Singh, please do accept it as Guroo Sahib's Bhana. We will try to make necessary preparations to find the body and do Antim Sanskaar. We will also try to find another Singh for you, as we know you are young, and you need support. Dear daughter, we sent you to deliver a secret letter to Bhai Teer Singh ji, so he could be informed about the upcoming attack by the Mughals, lead by choudhari Riaz Khan. This Riaz Khan will soon have to see his end, as he has severely tortured countless Singh-Singhnis. Our spy Sardar Bota Singh has already captured two of his closest bodyguards, and is now using them to know more about Riaz Khan's further plans against the Panth Khalsa. Don't worry, Tegh Kaur ji, we are with you. Now please wash up, and have evening Parshaaha jio!" Saying this, he called one of the laangris, and told him to serve Tegh Kaur langar. Tegh Kaur soon returned, after washing her hands in a nearby river. As soon as she took the first bite, Abhyiaas started with full force. Why wouldn't it? The ones who did seva were pure Jyot-Vigaasi, Naam Rasiye Chardikala GurSikhs. She immediately went into spiritual realms, and she had Darshan of Satguroo Father Shiri Guroo Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaaj. She saw that He got off his beautiful blue horse, and told her sit on the horse instead. Then he took her baby, and gave the baby Naam Di Daat. He also spoke the sweet words "My daughter Tegh Kaur ji! I am more then impressed with you for remaining firm in GurSikhi. Do not worry, I am with you. As for Sardar Doaba Singh, he will soon be sent again to finish the enemy. I will fill you with so much valour, that even Riaz Khan would shudder when hearing your name. That is all. Chuck langar now!"
Saying this, Guroo Gobind Singhji dissapeared. As Bibi Tegh Kaur gained counsciousness, Jatheydaar Bhai Sahib Bhai Guru-Mohr Singh ji was watching her. Then he signaled one Singh to make necessary accomodations for her, as she soon would have to go to sleep. She soon finished eating, after feeding the baby with milk, she prepared herself for the night. Five Singhs were to remain awake, in case of any danger, and after couple of hours, another five Singhs would take on the job, and the previous five Singhs would have the little sleep that they ever got. As Tegh Kaur went into a deep sleep, she saw that she was sitting in SaadhSangat, enjoying beautiful Kirtan. Soon she realized this was a vision of Shiri Harmander Sahib, when was the last time she had visited Siri Darbaar Sahib? She couldn't recall, as it had been too long. Most Singhs had to go in hiding, and therefore could not do Yatra of GuruDhaams. Soon it was Amritvela.

To be continued, with Guroo Sahib ji's Kirpaa, I shall write more jio!
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
A very creative and unique post Jaspreet Singh jee.

A good piece of writing, with realistic content!

I sure am looking forward to reading more of this.

Well done, such stories are helpful, especially for little kids, who like fiction, and prefer english over punjabi.
Great effort Jaspreet Singh jeeo. What we need today is Sikh fiction in English, depicting Gurmat and Gursikhs who follow Gurmat. A Bibi jee from our forum too who has been writing such Gurmat piece of fiction and it is requested that she to post her work here, in installments, for the benefit of the readers and the young generation who is more willing to read Gurmat that is coated in some interesting story.

Even in Punjabi, after Bhai Vir Singh jee, no piece of Gurmat fiction has been written of that level. What has been written, has been written by non-practicing or non-Rehitvaan people who have shown total disregard to Rehit-Behit in their novels. A lot more correct Gurmat fiction needs to be written both in Punjabi and English.

Daas too has been thinking about writing some Gurmat related fiction. If Guru Sahib permits, something will be written in future. Jaspreet Singh jeeo, you have now inspired and prompted Daas too to write some form of Gurmat fiction.

I like what I have read above and here are some comments, that you may want to ponder upon:

1. The talk of Tegh Kaur's marriage at the time when her husband has just passed away, seems a bit odd.

2. I like the name ਛੇਅ ਛੱਪੜ as hiding place of Singhs.How did you think of it?

3. Tegh Kaur's Ardaas is very inspiring. Dhan Gursikhi!

You have talent. Hopefully, it will get better and better with time.

Kulbir Singh
Bhai Kulbir Singh
1. The talk of Tegh Kaur's marriage at the time when her husband has just passed away, seems a bit odd.

Bhai Sahib ji, thanks for pointing it out. I shall be more cautious in the future. Also to add on, I am eagerly waiting for your Gurmat fiction literature.
VahegurooJiKaKhalsaVahegurooJiKiFateh

Sadh Sangat Ji, I am currently in the process of authoring a collection of short stories in the Gurmat/Sikhi genre. If anyone would be interested in previewing some of them before release, or providing feedback, kindly email me at kavansinghauthor@gmail.com

Please note, these are works of fiction featuring Sikh characters and themes on Sikhi and Gurmat.

I would also be happy to post something on this forum if the forum rules allow.

Guru Fateh,
KS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login