ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wearing woolen cap to protect from winter

Posted by bsingh 
Waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh

Sadh Sangat jee, please give you views about wearing woolen cap over dastar by kids or elder (male) to get protection from the winter or similarly wearning cap to get protection from the rain water.

Waheguru _/\_
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Veer ji, gursikhs cannot wear any type of hat, be it woolen or a cap. Guru sahib's dastara is our crown and can't be covered with a hat. You should tie a full gurmukhi, dumala or golh dastara on your children and the cold will not be a problem.

Tankhaanama Bhai Nand Laal Jee:

ਹੋਇ ਸਿਖ ਸਿਰ ਟੋਪੀ ਧਰੈ ॥ ਸਾਤ ਜਨਮ ਕੁਸ਼ਟੀ ਹੁਇ ਮਰੈ ॥
hoe sikh sir ttopee dhharai || saath janam kushattee hue marai ||
He who as a Sikh places a hat on their head; will be reborn seven times as a leper.
Yes I agree with Amritvela Jee.

This topic was also discussed here: [gurmatbibek.com]
what about wearing a hood (part of a jacket)? does that still count as a topi?
Gupt Singho - Hoods/ hats/ caps are all not allowed. Please see the thread shared by Bhai Jaskirat Singh ji.
just curious, how is wearing a hood over a dastaar any different than wearing a chunni over a dastaar? it looks about the same...

also, during monsoon season in india, you see singhs covering their dastaars so they don't get soaked through when traveling to work. what's the best method for this? or should we wear a wet dastaar all day at work?
The plastic coverings are sometimes used on turbans for rain protection in India. Should that be classified as cap? The material used is very thin sheet, thinner than a cloth. But the problem is that terminology in English language says it as cap. Can one wear it by calling it a rain-cover rather than a rain-cap?confused smiley
In addition to chunneaa, Gursikhs also cover their dastar with looee/shawl.

The hukamnama could be referring to those who shun dastars and wear toopee instead.

The hukamnama could be referring to those who shun dastars and wear toopee instead.

that's how i understood it. saw one of those guys today, with tied beard and baseball cap, and it just made me sad. sad smiley
I also don't see how a hood is much different from a chunni. I don't see the gurmat value of chunni's, but if they are acceptable then how come hoods are not?
ੴਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫ਼ਤਹ॥

Guru Piyario,

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

I also don't see how a hood is much different from a chunni. I don't see the gurmat value of chunni's, but if they are acceptable then how come hoods are not?

Bibi jio, Dupata or Chunni in Panjabi culture dress serves two purposes for common Bibiyan, one is to cover head and one is to cover chest, but GurSikh bibiyan do not require to use Dupata or Chunni because they are already wearing Guru's crown i.e. Dastaar to cover Kesh/Head. Why we need to cover our crown??? I never seen any worldly Raja or Raani covers their crown with cloth because then it leaves no point of wearing the crown. So, yes any Dastaar coverings does not seems right according to Sikhi asools. For this reason Daas see no point of wearing Chunni over Dastaar. However, GurSikh bibiyan wear the Dupata or Chunni only for second reason but due to cultural effect many still continue to cover their Dastaar also to avoid any unnecessary arguments. As far a woolen cap is concerned double Dastaara or Dumalla is far warmer than woolen cap. Woolen cap is still a cap and we should avoid wearing caps.

With Regards,
Daas
I agree with you completely bhai jasjit Singh jee. We need to evaluate our own thinking in regards to matters like these, otherwise we're just throwing out rules which we feel are right but may have nothing to do with gurmat. This rehitnama says that the dastar should not be covered with a TOPEE but if one were to include hoods in the definition of topee then I think it only makes sense to extend that rule to chunnian too. Even if it is not specifically against this rehitnama to cover our dastars with things such as chunnian, I think an important message that we get out of the rehitnama is that it is not gurmat to cover our dastars.

Chunnian serve no purpose worn over the dastar anyway. Our head is already covered with a beautiful dastar - what's the need for a chunni, other than to succumb to cultural standards and expectations. Khalsa don't live by the enslaving norms of society, which is why we let our dastar stand out as our nishanee, and don't cover it for anyone.
My wife started wearing a Dastar to get away from looking after her Chunni as she was always having to adjust it, and started using clips and all sorts, as it was always getting in the way grinning smiley. Before anyone asks we're not AKJ, but she wanted to wear it for practical reasons. All I can say is she is much happier and does not worry about finding a matching chunni with her suits, so she gets ready a little bit quicker as well, which is a godsend! :-)
Apart from wearin a towel (to stop our dastaars getting wet) is there another alternative which is in-line with Gurmat?
Surprised no one uses an umbrella? Whenever I've been in the rain just with my Dastar I find that it absorbs most of the rain without my hair ever getting wet. But then again I live in the UK and we don't get Monsoon rains.
How about the people who works outside in rain?? grinning smiley
Check out this very neat Dumalla, can't see this Singh Ji wearing a cap or a hoodie, or using a Shatri smileys with beer:

BTW - Thanks to Jaspreet Singh for showing me how to upload via image shack.
Not sure what happened the image appeared earlier.

Can Admin please post this in the message:

re: umbrella- not practical when your primary transportation is a scooter or motorcycle (as is common in india) and you have to ride through monsoon rains to reach work!
I think we cant wear woolen cap over our dastar. It is very disrespectful to put a cap over the dastar. If you want to see guru sahib we cant put any hat, hood, or cap.

daas,
khalsaji.
Unjaan
Check out this very neat Dumalla, can't see this Singh Ji wearing a cap or a hoodie, or using a Shatri :

I think the rainy season will probably already be over by the time he finishes tying that dumalla.

Re 1kaur: Bibi Jee I think you have underestimated ingenuity of Indian population, in India one can easily ride with Mama Jee, Nani Jee, Massi Jee, and 3 kids whilst on scooter, I'm sure one of them can hold shatri over while driving. If not that, then I'm sure they can find way to protect Dastaar without violating Gurmat principles.
Can someone shed some light on "sailee toope" (ਸੇਲੀ ਟੋਪੀ)?
If your wearing a dastaar, it's probably not your head that's cold, it's more likely that your ears freeze, especially if you keep them out. I think wearing one of those head bands, that go around your forehead; you can just pull it over your ears, that way your ears will be warm, and you won't be wearing a "topee" either. Or, you can get ear muffs (I think thats what they're called), and use those. The dastaar itself should be enough to keep your head warm. grinning smiley

Vaaheguru Jee Kaa Khalsaa Vaaheguru Jee Kee Fatehh!
Vaheguroooo ....

Im used to wearing keki now. i find it hard to put it over my ears sad smiley .... but i do wear ear muffs grinning smiley
Vaheguroo

Daas ties a dumalla.

A small tip:

Use TWO Larhs to cover your ears, not one.
This way, the larhs will have friction, wont slide around, thus not hurting your ears.
The dumalla will feel more secure and compact.
And it will provide warmth.

Only started doing this last year. Wish i had done it earlier.

Vaheguroo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login