ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hoodies ontop of dastar?

Posted by Vaheguru 
hoodies ontop of dastar?
April 01, 2010 05:33PM
lots of amrit dhari youth are seen wearing hoodies over (ontop of) dastars. for some reason it looks really bad and doesnt seem right. why is this wrong? how can we realise this is wrong and should not be done? thank you
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Dastaar is the crown of Sikhi and crowns are never covered with hoodies or anything else. The utmost thing is to leave the Dastaar uncovered.

Kulbir Singh
Re: hoodies ontop of dastar?
April 01, 2010 06:03PM
vaheguru. thanks ji. i wonder why youth are feeling the need to cover their dastars with hoods. can anyone else please share?
April 01, 2010 06:06PM
i would also like to ask sangat ji why the dastar style in youth today is leaning backwards? is this just a fashion thing or some other reason unknown to me? thank you ji
I second Bhai kulbir singh ji. There is no room for hoods ontop of Dastar. The youth of today should refrain from such western behaviour and learn to respect their crown.

H.S
What if my head/neck area is cold? What's the difference between wearing a shawl on top of a dastaar and a hoodie [if one is cold, not as a fashion statement]?
April 03, 2010 07:21AM
Gurjeet kaur bhenji, i'm sure there are other ways to protect neck from the cold. Why would your head be cold if you already have a dastar? The difference between a shawl and toppi is huge.

If your neck is cold, you could wear a hazoria/ shawl or wear a sensible jersy/ coat.

Bhai Nand lal ji makes it clear;

hoe sikh sir ttopee dhharai || saath janam kushattee hue marai ||
He who as a Sikh places a hat on their head; will be reborn seven times as a leper.

Thankhaanama Bhai Nand Laal Jee

bhull maaf karni ji.
April 03, 2010 08:02AM
Vaheguru Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i would also like to ask sangat ji why the dastar
> style in youth today is leaning backwards? is this
> just a fashion thing or some other reason unknown
> to me? thank you ji

True. I notice this trend as well. In the youth, dastars are increasingly being slanted towards the back, it almost looks like they are doing their Joorhaa at the back of their head instead of on the top.
Guru Piyare jio,

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh

This topic reminded me an incident narrated by one of the companion of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee. Once Bhai Sahib was staying in Kumar Hatti during summer time, this Singh jee (bhai Sahib’s companion) decided one day to meet him there. He took a bus from Delhi to reach there. That day was little stormy day but no rain was falling yet, instead of carrying a big umbrella he decided to carry a plastic cover in his pocket. When he reached the Kumar Hatti it was raining already and from bus stand to Bhai Sahib’s residence he had to walk. So, he covered his Dastaar with plastic cover (these are specially made for covering Dastaar and easily available in Punjab) as soon as he reached home he saw Bhai Sahib was sitting in varanda. Seeing Bhai Sahib, Singh jee removed his shows in Vehrrah and rushed to bhai sahib to say Fateh, but before he say any thing bhai Sahib jee shouted , ‘Oh what you have on top of your Dastaar’, listening this welcome this Singh jee shivered a bit then replied in humbleness that Bhai Sahib jee due to rain I covered my Dastaar with this plastic, then Bhai Sahib said ‘Listen my dear, remove it first then share Fateh to us, did not you know that Singhs did not bent down to Englishmen to wear even iron tops over their Dastaars in battlefields, they bravely fought during the bullet showers and did not care for their lives but kept the Rehat of their Guru on top, tell me are you going to melt in rain then?, if required a towel can be worn during rain but no plastic hats’. After hearing this VeerRassi talk this Singh ji realized the mistake wearing any thing on top of Dastaar. Then daas asked to this Singh jee that what was the mood of Bhai Sahib after this short talk, he said then they had their GurSikhi milani (naam hug) like this conversation did not take place.

So, such was the thought of Puratan Singhs. Let’s try to keep up with that thought.

With Regards,
Daas
April 03, 2010 06:12PM
wow! awesome story. thank you very much ji.
its wrong
first of all its beadbi of dastar
u already have a dastar why shud u need to or have to cover it with anything else
puratan singhs lived in jungles for sure there was rain hail sometimes do u think that they wore a toppi?
April 05, 2010 04:10PM
gurpreet bhenji, i think the difference between a hoodie and a shawl is that the shawl is not stitched into a particular shape. it is an unstructured piece of fabric, like a keskee. this is acceptable to cover the head. the hoodie is stitched to hold it's shape. this makes it a topi. the same goes for those "ready made" keskees that kids wear, or patkas with strings on them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login