ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bibian and Bana

Posted by sk 
Bibian and Bana
December 11, 2010 05:33PM
There are alot of stories about our Sikh mothers and sisters from history, but very little which proves that they kept bana. Old paintings show Gursikh bibian such as Mata Gujri Ji and Mata Sundar Kaur wearing chunnis without dastaar. I think it would be inspiring if the sangat could share any examples of Gurmukh bibian from history in bana; i.e. historical evidence, pictures, etc. Even if you can share stories of these Gurmukhs which don't relate to bana, that is okay too.

ALSO - what do we know of what our mothers like Bibi Nanaki Jee and Mata Khivi Jee wore... ?? Do we know anything? I imagine that there must have been some sort of disciplinery rehit in the times of the first Guru's... or am I wrong?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Bibian and Bana
December 12, 2010 06:07AM

Old paintings show Gursikh bibian such as Mata Gujri Ji and Mata Sundar Kaur wearing chunnis without dastaar.

I doubt there are old paintings that show Mata Gujri jee and Mata Sundri jee wearing Chunni without Dastaar. These paintings are recent paintings, mostly from the 20th century, and by painters who were not knowledgeable about Sikhi. These paintings are based on their imaginations only. There is no doubt that Mata Gujri jee, Mata Sundri jee and other Bibiaan of that time used to wear Dastaar after Guru Sahib made Khande ka Amrit mandatory to all.

Kulbir Singh
December 12, 2010 07:46AM
It is known that Mata Bhag Kaur ji (Mai Bhago) was fully tyaar-bar-tyaar shastardhari Singhnee. Even her pics show the same. I doubt any painter painted a picture of Mata Ji without a dumala.

December 12, 2010 10:54AM
You're right Bhai Sahib, I was thinking "old" as in they've been around in our community for many years.
Thank you for the pictures Mehtab Singh.

(This painter's not a gursikh but clearly very talented)
December 12, 2010 01:47PM
Mehtab Singh Veer Ji is right about Mata Bhago Kaur Ji. When I went to Hazoor Sahib I had darshan of Mata Jis shasters, and I must say I was amazed. Some of the weapons include a 4 foot bandooka ( rifle), and a 3 foot thick bladed Sri Sahib ( Sarab Loh). I have a hard time seeing an chunni -suit wearing Bibi carrying and using these weapons.

When I went to Hazoor Sahib we visited a Gurdwara that had a show case of weapons. The tour guide was mentioning that these weapons belonged to Banda Singh Bhadur. Me and another Singh were having darshan of the weapons and a Bhenji who is a resident of Hazoor Sahib randomly came up to us and said these weapons are Mata Bhago Kaur Ji.We then said the tourist Singh said they belonged to Banda SIngh Bhadur. In a very humble way she said no they belonged to Mata Ji. There was something very special about this Bibi Ji. She had a glow in her face and seemed very close to Guru Sahib. Her and another Bibi Ji were the only Hazoor Sahib Singhnis who were dastar and they have no affiliation with the Jatha. All day they do lots of seva. Even the story of Mata Bhago Kaur Ji has been distorted by some. If Mata Ji had no rehat then how did she reach the high levels of spirituality in which after reaching Guru Sahib told her she still must keep rehat .

The reason why there is not much information about Puratan Singhnia is because Punjabi culture is very Patriarchal this is way Historians , Scholars, and Kathvachiks feel no need to mention anything about women, because of their desi mentality they believe religion is for men alone. Thats why we see many Sikh households wear the boy wears a patka, dastar, and the girl just keeps her hair and she can cut it when she becomes a teenager. In many households girls are not taught anything about their history, Gurmat , etc, but this does not mean women did not have a role in Sikh history. Lets not forget who the first Gursikh/Gurmukh was Bibi Nanaki Ji"
December 12, 2010 03:18PM
Hanji, there are some historical references made to Mata Ji that make me go "WHAT? REALLY?". In one katha by Bibi Shanti Kaur (Sikhnet) says that Mata Bhag Kaur ji was strong and well built, which is evident from the size of her shastars.
December 12, 2010 08:14PM
Definitely, Mata Bhaag Kaur is one shining example of a bana-wearing, shaster-clad Gurmukh bibi. I will do ardaas that perhaps I can one day emulate her strength and pyaar for Guru Sahib. Thank you for sharing that story Sukhdeep Singh, and Mehtab Singh, I could hardly believe it too when I saw those weapons.

But that's why it agonizes me that there isn't more on Gursikh bibian in our historical records. This probably isn't a big deal - jo vee Guru Sahib da hukam - but some bibian like me need that mother figure in our life - to guide us, inspire us. There are so many incredible stories of Singhs, preserved in great detail, that inspire so many, and from these we even get details of how they looked, and they put these beautiful images in our minds of bana-wearing Singhs... but there's less on bibian. There are less references to bibian in general - we don't even call them Kaurs, just bibian ... or "Singhnian", derived from Singhs. So then bibian in general seem unimportant, unaccomplished (in terms of Sikhi), insignificant. This bothers me simply because I feel lost in the sense that I am unsure of my role then as a bibi.... because I don't just want to be one of those people who comes into the world to concieve and go... I want to become Sanmukh to my Guru.

So perhaps if sangat can share more inspiring stories of bibian on this thread!
December 13, 2010 05:33AM
Bibi Ranjeet Kaur - Khalsa Spy

he wild animals were howling in the nearby jungle, the wind was biting Ranjeet Kaur’s face, she wrapped her midnight-blue shawl around a little tighter. Nothing to be afraid of, she quietly carried on repeating ‘Vaahi-guroo, Vaahi-guroo’ in time to her steps and Guru Gobind Singh jee’s glove of spiritual love completely protected her. She looked through the trees at the magnificent setting sun, for a moment she forgot all about the war and was lost in the magic and mystery of the Creative Being - Karta Purakh. She felt as beautiful as a blossoming flower radiating love and life in all directions.

-"‘Vaahi-Guroo Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaahi-Guroo Jee Kee Fateh! Ranjeet Kaur Bhain Jee (sister)",

Ranjit Kaur quickly turned around and saw a young Khalsa warrior dressed in blue-battle dress, wearing a long curved sword down his left side, chain-mail armour across his chest and a three metal discus’s around his blue pointed turban.

-"Vaahi-Guroo Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaahi-Guroo Jee Kee Fateh! GurMukh Singh Jee. Why are you out so late?",

-"Well I was about to ask you the same thing Bhain jee (sister), you know how dangerous it is for a woman to be out her alone while there are Turkish Soldiers patrolling the area. So Bhain Jee you better have a damn good excuse, otherwise you’re going back with me."

- “Veer jee (brother), our Jathedar (leader) has asked me to fetch some important news from the SarPanch (village chief) and anyway you’re only 11 so you better run back to the Khalsa camp.”

-”Bhain jee, I can’t believe he sent you alone. You know the War for our Independence is at it’s peak and there’s trouble around every corner. Look, I’ve got an idea - it’s safer for you to go back to the lake and rejoin the Khalsa Army and I will go in your place.” -”Why do you think it’s any safer for you to go, GurMukh Singh?” -”Bhain jee, it will be dark soon and I don’t think it’s right for a woman to go anywhere alone. I am a Khalsa Warrior, I carry 5 weapons and I am prepared to die fighting. I want people to tell stories about me and how brave Bhai GurMukh Singh was.”

Just then a bat came flying out of the dark trees directly towards Bhai GurMukh Singh, he didn’t know what was attacking him and screaming loudly he covered his face with his hands!

Ranjit Kaur burst out laughing and said “Veer jee, I too have been blessed with Guru’s immortal "khande-batte-da-amrit" (amrit = nectar of immortality) . I too carry a long sword over my blue battle-dress and wear a warrior’s turban. Guru Gobind Singh Jee is always with me. But you my younger brother have much to learn about ego and you are probably at more risk than me! Besides, the SarPanch (village headman) will not give anyone except me the strategic papers. Furthermore, the Jathedar stressed that I go. So my dear little brother, you better ran all the way home otherwise I’m going to grab you by the ear, drag you home and after the Khalsa has finished their evening prayers, I’m going to tell them the story of the great Bhai GurMukh Singh and the black bat!”

“Okay, you win , but be careful.” Saying this Gurmukh Singh ran down the path towards the lake while Ranjit Kaur went on with her journey towards the village.

Gurmukh Singh’s fears were not unfounded. Small bands of Turkish soldiers were wandering around the lake seeking information on Sikhs. Every Sikh was aware of this. However, it did not deter Ranjit Kaur. She fearlessly went on her way to the village. She had absolute faith in the strength of her Guru’s amrit and blessed sword.

Ranjit Kaur reached the SarPanch’s house. The women came out and hugged her, they hadn’t seen her for some time. It was getting late and the women insisted that she spent the night with them. Remembering what GurMukh Singh had said she agreed, it would be safer to travel during the day and Jathedar had given her permission to spend the night. The SarPanch took her to a private room and handed over the Strategic Papers, what she read spelled disaster for the Khalsa. She got up at once and covering herself with her shawl she headed back to the Kahnuwaan lake, the women tried to make her stay saying save your self. But Ranjit Kaur’s life was not worth anything without her Khalsa family.

A large number of Ahmed Shah Abdalee’s troops were on their way from Lahore to seize Kahnuwaan and these strategic papers contained orders to SarPanch to help the troops. Thousands of Khalsa lives were at stake and getting the information back to her Jathedar was foremost on her mind.

By now it was midnight. The skies were clear and the moonlight lit up the earth. In this calm and still atmosphere, Ranjit Kaur reached the outskirts of the quiet village and walked as fast as possible towards the lake. She had about 3 miles to cover, she increased her pace and marched with determination through the sounds of howling animals. She quietly carried on repeating ‘Vaahi-guroo, Vaahi-guroo’ in time to her footsteps as she always did and felt Guru Gobind Singh jee’s spiritual glove encase her.

Two Turkish soldiers with swords in their waist-bands, rode past her left side. She fearlessly looked at the soldiers and underneath her shawl she grabbed the handle of her sword, just in case. The heavenly moonlight glowed from Ranjit Kaur’s angelic face and intensified her beauty. The soldiers suddenly pulled their horses across her path and quickly dismounting they tried to grab her hands. She darted away with lightening speed and threateningly said “They’ll be trouble if you touch me!”, she continued aggressively, ‘Who are you and what do you want?”

-”We are commanders of the royal forces” said the first soldier.

-”Then what business do you have with me?” said Ranjit Kaur.

Without answering, the second soldier loudly demanded “Who are you? And where are you wandering to at this time of night?”

-”Who ever I may be, you have no right to question me.” Saying this Ranjit Kaur tried to walk past them at a fast pace.

The first soldier quickly moved to block her way once again and said, “we have orders to find out where the Sikhs are hiding. You look like a Sikh so until you explain what you are doing we aren’t going to let you go anywhere.”

-”That’s right, I am a Sikh, what are you going to do about it?”

“Then consider yourself under arrest,” said the first soldier, then he looked at the other one and said , “Khan Sahib, I think you better grab her and put her on your horse, because I dont know what I’ll do if I get to close to her.”

Both looked at Ranjit Kaur’s face and then looked at each other and started laughing. Such overtures angered Ranjit Kaur. She started looking at them like a hunter at its’ prey. Her eyes were red with anger.

There was a brief silence before Khan Sahib calmly said, “Beautiful lady, we have been sent to find the whereabouts of Sikhs. However, we are not animals. We are human. We too have pumping hearts in our chest. What kind of heart would it be that does not worship a beautiful angel like you.”

Both men were intoxicated with Ranjit Kaur’s beauty. A mere glimpse of her face had injected lustful insanity into them. Ranjit Kaur stared at their faces but remained silent. Upon completion of his sentence, the other soldier continued, “Beloved, what are you going to get from the wild Sikhs. Come with us. In Allah’s oath we shall make you our Begum (wife). You can wear silk and eat whatever you like. You can even choose which one of us you want to marry!”

Ranjit Kaur still continued to silently stare at the soldiers. She had made her decision to continue or to die fighting. But her silence and non-responsiveness was misinterpreted by the men. Khan Sahib tried to grab her wrist, saying, “Come, sit on my horse. It is getting late my love.”

Ranjit Kaur moved swiftly, taking two steps backward she drew her sword from under her shawl and reflecting the moonlight it flashed like lightening . She shouted “ If you come any closer I wont be responsible for what happens!”

The soldiers burst out laughing. Khan Sahib said, “Angel drawing a sword! That’s a first!”

The other soldier spoke “Isn’t she beautiful when she’s angry?”

This was the first time Khan Sahib had seen a woman protect her honour like a lioness, but she was still only a weak woman so he tried to grab her with his outstretched arms. A flashing sword dazzled him and he screamed in agony as his left hand dropped to the ground.

Having been bitten by the lioness the soldiers drew their swords and charged towards her. Ranjit Kaur wasn’t sitting idle wearing bangles, she lunged forward at Khan Sahib again and cut off his sword hand. He retreated squirming in pain.

The other soldier was a skilled swordsman. His continuous attacks inflicted several wounds to Ranjit Kaur. Blood covered her whole face. Exhaustion was setting in by now. Suddenly, the strength of Guru’s amrit injected so much courage into her, that she forgot all about her wounds and pains. Yelling the battle cry Jaekara, “JO BOLAY SO NIHAL, SAT SREE AKAL,” her sword moved with such force that the soldier’s head dropped to the ground and bounced like a ball. His body fell in a heap next to it.

Ranjit Kaur quickly looked around for Khan Sahib, but he had escaped without trace. Totally exhausted she still managed to search the heaped body and found several papers in the dead soldier’s pockets. Seizing them, she mounted his horse and rode to the Kahnuwaan lake. As she approached the camp she mustered up every last ounce of energy and yelled ‘JATHEDAR JEE! JATHEDAR JEE!’. The Jathedar, several Khalsa Warriors and little GurMukh Singh came running out to meet her, seeing her blood red face and exhausted condition they carried her inside while little GurMukh Singh started crying. Her sisters wiped her face and cleaned her wounds while she searched around her clothing and handed the papers over to the Jathedar. He was amazed to find full details of the Turk’s battle-plans. Ranjit Kaur was honoured greatly by the Khalsa, Guru Gobind Singh Jee’s infinite and unparalleled grace had given her the courage to fight her attackers and save her Khalsa family from a bloody massacre.

News of Ranjit Kaur’s courage spread through out the Khalsa Panth. She is known as the “Brave Daughter of the Guru”.
December 13, 2010 05:35AM
Bibi Dalair Kaur ji- Martyr -17th Century Women

ALLAH HO AKBAR!!!!!" screamed the Moghul soldiers, with their heads down, one hand on the horse-reigns, one hand weilding a mighty sword, they charged up the hill determined to smash the fortress gates this time. A thousand arrows and bullets rained down from the over the high fortress walls. It was useless, they couldn't penetrate AnandPur, the Khalsa fort.

"RETREAT! RETREAT!" screamed a desparate General as he saw hundreds of his imperial forces drop to the ground. Back at base camp, an emergency meeting of General's was called. The jungle nights were cold, and hundreds of camp fires where seen all around the base of the hill. Anandpur Fort stood on top, inpenetrable and untouched.

"9 MONTHS! 9 Long months in this wretched, mosquito infested jungle. When are those Fortress rats going to give up?" said Wajir Khan.

"Be patient General, even rats die one day" replied Jabardast Khan. "Patient! How much more patient can we be? We have over 1 million soldiers out there. One Million soldiers to kill that infidel Gobind Singh. Yet his Khalsa army has killed tens of thousands of our soldiers and we have barely scratched the fortress walls" thundered a raging Wajir Khan.

"Sit down Generals. As leader of the royal forces of his excellency Emperor Aurangzeb, I will make the decisions." Said Aurangzeb's General. He continued, "Let us review our tactics. We have 22 local Hindu Kings with us, we have the victorious armies of Wajir Khan and Jabardast Khan with us, and we have the military might of the Moghul Empire. One million soldiers, countless cannons, and an unlimited supply of arms. Fellow generals we have underestimated these Khalsa rats. Even though there can be no more than 10,000 soldiers in the fort, we have not been able to beat them through sheer force. They have the superior position on the hill top. Think of another plan Generals. We need a new strategy."

"Patience is the best strategy. It has been several months since we imposed the seige. I believe our siege is working fellow Generals. We have cut off all supplies of food and water to the fort, those rats must be almost starved by now. If we just wait another few months, victory will be ours." Said Jabardast Khan.

"It's already December, there's a cold and miserable winter in front of us. Our camp hospitals are bursting at the seams with sick soldiers, those wretched floods last month brought so many mystery illnesses, that hundreds of soldiers are dying every day. There is low moral amongst the troops and thousands of soldiers are deserting us every week, because they think we will never be able to capture the Fort. Do any of us went to spend the rest of winter like this? NO. I suggest we lure out the Khalsa rats and finish them with our swords!" raged Wajir Khan.

The room full of Generals stood up and cheered.

"Beloved Son and Guru, listen to your mother," said Mata Gujree. She continued, "You are beautiful and you have your father's blessing upon your head. Whatever you say is law, but I urge you to reconsider the offer of safe passage from the Royal forces. Aurangzeb himself has given his word, promising on the Koran that no harm will come to us."

"Mata Jee, it's nothing but a trick. Why would they offer us safe passage after they've been trying to kill us for 9 months?" said Guru Gobind Singh jee.

"Guru jee, you are our Father, we live for you and we will die for you," said Bhai Mani Singh, "but Guru jee we started off with 10,000 Khalsa warriors and now we have less than a thousand. Guru Jee, you are the King of this world and the King of the next world. It makes no difference to us if we live at your feet in this world or the next, but Guru jee this world needs you. You must survive, if you stay here you will die with the rest of us."

"O Beloved Khalsa jee, I would rather die fighting than walk away from this battle. But Khalsa jee, you are my Guru and you have ordered that we accept the offer of safe passage and leave the fort. So we will leave tomorrow. But, I don't intend to leave the fort unguarded. Bibi Dalair Kaur Jee, you are my trusted Sikh. I want you and the rest of my daughters to stay here along with 10 Khalsa men." Said Guru Gobind Singh Jee.

"Pita Jee, your words are true, bless us so we may do this duty and bring honour to the Khalsa," replied Bibi Dalair Kaur jee.

Guru Gobind Singh jee tapped her shoulder with the tip of his arrow.

As soon as Guru Gobind Singh jee left the fort, the combined forces of Moghal troops and Hill Rajas quickly abandoned their sacred oaths. They charged after Guru Gobind Singh jee and his 500 Khalsa soldiers. A bloody battle took place on the banks of the Sirsa river. Many Khalsa soldiers were killed and Guru jee's family was scattered. His younger sons and mother escaped with Gangu to his village. Later on he turned them in to the authorities for a reward. This lead to their martyrdom.

Bhai Mani Singh and Guru jee's wife escaped and rode to Delhi. Guru Gobind Singh jee, his two older sons and the remaining 40 Khalsa soldiers escaped to the place called Chamkaur were another battle was fought. The Khalsa fought against the odds. All 40 Khalsa, along with the older sons fought to the death. Guru Gobind Singh Jee was ordered by the Khalsa to survive and escaped to Mashiwadha.

While some of the Combined Moghul forces pursued the Khalsa, the rest rode to the fort to claim victory. Bibi Dalair Kaur saw that her beloved Guru and Khalsa had been betrayed and she prepared the Guru's daughters for battle. The Moghul soldiers broke their ranks and rode to the fort, burning and looting everything in their way. Bibi Dalair Kaur stood up in front of her sister's and spoke with passion, "Sisters, we have given our heads to our Guru-Father at the amrit ceremony. We have lived for Truth, now the time has come to die for it. Sisters, remember that we are all trained warriors and we will die fighting rather than be taken as slaves. Sisters, pick up you guns and get in position; it's a good day to die 'BOLAY SO NIHAL SAT SRI AKAL'."

The enemy soldiers thought that the fort was empty and were taken aback by the sudden rain of bullets. Within a few minutes, hundreds of dead soldiers lay outside the fort. Seeing this, the remaining soldiers left their positions and ran for their lives. Wajir Khan was furious at not having captured the fort, he started screaming at his men "FIRE THE CANNONS! FIRE THE CANNONS." Intense cannon fire succeeded in breaking through a wall of the fort. No one could be seen inside so the ground troops charged towards the fort. Suddenly, they were showered with bullets and line after line of soldiers dropped dead to the ground.

Wajir Khan was ruthless and kept sending more and more troops, eventually the Khalsa women ran out of bullets. Wajir Khan smiled as capture was imminent.

Bibi Dalair Kaur jee gathered her sister's together and spoke with her Guru-Father's blessing, "Sisters, we have fought well, now we our time has come to die. It is up to us to die with honour. Remember the brave women from RajPut. When their husbands had died in battle and their fort was about to be captured, they would all all jump into a fire and burn to death rather than let the enemy dishonour them. This was how their religion taught them to preserve their honour. Our Guru-Father is always with his Sikhs and protects his sons and daughter's honour. Sisters, our Guru-Father has trained us as warriors and we will die fighting alongside our husbands and brothers. Remember we are lionesses."

The enemy was advancing so rapidly that there was no time for further speeches. Bibi Dalair Kaur jee gave the signal and all Khalsa women drew their swords and positioned themselves behind the damaged wall. This was the only way for the enemy to enter.

Mighty soldiers began climbing in over the piles of rubble. When they saw 100 Khalsa women and 10 Khalsa men ready for battle they stopped in their tracks. They were expecting to find hundreds of Khalsa men, they never knew women could be warriors.

Witnessing the events from a distance, Wajir Khan yelled, "Cowards, are you afraid of women? They are gifts for you, capture them and do what you want with the rewards of your hunt." Bibi Dalair Kaur yelled back, "We are the hunters, not the hunted. Come forward and find out for yourself!"

Wajir Khan took up the challenge and rode into the fort with his men. Khalsa Lionesses attacked them from every corner and he dropped dead to the ground. Not knowing how many other Khalsa warriors were in the fort the Moghuls retreated yet again.

Jabardast Khan started yelling at his men "FIRE THE CANNONS! FIRE THE CANNONS." Intense cannon fire destroyed the already weakened wall. The fort's inner compound was clearly visible and no Khalsa warriors could be seen. Jabardast Khan was convinced that no one was left alive and this time he took thousands of troops with him into the fort. They searched every inch of the fort but did not find anyone. Jabardast Khan was furious. Where did the Khalsa lionesses disappear too? He screamed at his men to find them. The soldiers searched cautiously, expecting a surprise attack from any direction. Finally they concluded that the remaining Khalsa warriors must have escaped through some secret passage.

Orders were given to abandon the search and initiate looting. The very soldiers who were afraid for their lives started searching for wealth inside the fort. When they removed the piles of rubble from the fallen wall they found no wealth, they only found the bodies of our martyrs. The faces of Guru Gobind Singh jee's daughters were still radiant yet peaceful.

They and their Khalsa brothers and husbands had stood by their leader, Bibi Dalair Kaur. They died fighting to the death and received an eternal place at our Guru-Father's Lotus Feet.
December 13, 2010 05:35AM
Bibi Harsharan Kaur: The Final Shaheed of the Chamkaur Battle

Adapted from Mahinder Singh ChachraaRee in Soora December 1997
Translated by Admin www.tapoban.org

In the battle of Chamkaur, Guru Gobind Singh jee and 40 starving Singhs battle the Mughal army. The battle which took place in Chamkaur’s mud fort lasted 72 hours and saw the loss of many Mughal soldiers and also 36 of Guru Gobind Singh jee’s companions along with the two Sahibzadas. Fighting an army of hundreds of thousands, Guru Gobind Singh jee gave an exhibition of his battle skills. Guru jee, following the orders of the Panth Khalsa (in the form of the Punj Pyaaray) left the fort along with Bhai Daya Singh, Bhai Maan Singh and one other Singh, after giving his clothes to Bhai Sangat Singh jee to wear. Only Bhai Sangat Singh and Bhai Sant Singh fought the battle to its end. They too were martyred. Seeing Guru jee’s clothes on Bhai Sangat Singh, the Mughals were ecstatic and taking him to be Guru Gobind Singh, cut off his head and took it to Delhi.

In every village it was announced that Guru Gobind Singh had been killed, “Look here at his chopped off head! His family is also finished. His two sons were killed in the battle and the two younger ones will also die abandoned. The revolution has been crushed. No one should go to the Chamkaur Fort. No one should cremate the dead Singhs.”

A tight cordon was put around the Fort. As the soldiers were going from village to village making their announcement, the people were retreating in terror into their homes. However, in village Khroond, a daughter of Guru Gobind Singh, Bibi Harsharan Kaur, asked for her mother’s permission to peform the final rites for the Shaheeds. Her old mother replied, “it is total darkness outside and soldiers are everywhere around the fort, how will you even go near?”

Hearing this, Kalgeedhar’s lioness daughter replied with resolve “I will avoid the soldiers and perform the cremation, and if need be, I’ll fight and die.”

The mother gave her courage and hugged her daughter and then explained the maryada to follow for the cremation. After performing Ardaas, Bibi Harsharan Kaur left for the Chamkaur Fort.

The battlefield which saw iron smashing against iron, the bellows of elephants, the trotting of hooves and calls of “Kill! Capture!”, was now totally silent and enveloped in complete darkness. In such a situation, the 16 year old girl Bibi Harsharan Kaur avoided the guards and arrived at the Fort. She saw that bodies were lying everywhere and distinguishing between Sikh and Mughal was very difficult. She still had faith and began to find arms with kaRas and torsos with kachheras and heads with long kesh. As she found a body, she would wipe the face of every shaheed. Both Sahibzadas and about 30 shaheeds were found and then she began to collect wood. Fearing the approaching light of dawn, Bibi Harsharan Kaur worked very quickly and soon prepared a pyre. She then lit the fire.

Seeing the rising flames, the guards were shocked and advanced towards the pyre. Bibi Harsharan Kaur was seen in the light of the flames sitting beside the pyre. She was quietly reciting Keertan Sohilaa. The guards were shocked and confused as to how a lone woman could come into the fort on such a dark night. The guards asked in a loud voice, “Who are you?!”
Bibi jee: I am the daughter of Guru Gobind Singh
Officer: What are you doing here?
Bibi Jee: I am cremating my martyred brothers.

Officer: Don’t you know about the order that coming here is a crime?
Bibi Jee: I know it.
Officer: Then why have you disobeyed that order?
Bibi Jee: The orders of a false king do not stand before the orders of the Sachay Patshah (True King)
Officer: Meaning?
Bibi Jee: Meaning that I have respect for the Singhs in my heart and with the Guru’s grace I have done my duty. I don’t care about your King’s orders.

Hearing such stern answers from Bibi Harsharan Kaur, the infuriated Mughal soldiers attempted to capture her and attacked. Bibi jee grabbed her kirpaan and fought back with determination. After killing and maiming many soldiers, Bibi Harsharan Kaur was injured and fell to the ground. The soldiers picked Bibi Harsharan Kaur up and threw her into the pyre, burning her alive.

The next day the cordon around the Fort was lifted because it was clear that the Sahibzadas and most of the Shaheed Singhs had been cremated. The ancestors of the Phulkiaan family, Rama and Triloka, then cremated whichever Singhs remained. The story of Bibi Harsharan Kaur reached Guru Gobind Singh jee Mahaaraaj in Talvandee Sabo (Damdama Sahib).

Upon hearing of her daughter’s martyrdom, the old mother thanked Akaal Purakh. She said, “my daughter has proven herself worthy.” The story of the cremation of the Chamkaur Shaheeds will forever serve as a glowing star of inspiration for all Singhs and Singhnees.

[Note: another version of Bibi Harsharan Kaur’s Shaheedee tells us that she was pierced by a Mughal lance and then thrown into the fire].
December 13, 2010 05:36AM
Sardarni Sada Kaur

Sardarni Sada Kaur, mother-in-law of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, is one of the builders of the Sikh Raj. She was born to Sardar Dasaunda Singh of Ferozepur District and was married to Sardar Gurbakhsh Singh, son of Sardar Jai Singh, jathedar (Head) of the Ghanya Misl. A misl was like a kingdom for each of the Sikh sardars. They collected revenue from their Misl areas.

Sardar Jai Singh was a friend of Sardar Charhat Singh, the Jathedar of the Shakarchakia Misl. The areas of the two Misls were adjacent to each other. Unfortunately, Sardar Charhat Singh died early leaving his young son, Mahan Singh, an orphan. Sardar Jai Singh extended his sympathy to the bereaved family and raised Mahan Singh with love and affection.

When Mahan Singh became an adult, he wanted to use his powers to increase his revenues. He collected money from the nearby Jammu area, which was under the protection of Sardar Jai Singh. Naturally, he got angry at the young boy, Mahan Singh, for his unfaithful act. He ordered him to pay a heavy fine or be ready to be attacked and turned out of his Misl area.

Mahan Singh understood the blunder he made for the lust of wealth. He went to Jai Singh to feel sorry and negotiate the fine to be paid by him. Sardar Jai Singh, being very mad, did not agree to relax his condition of collecting heavy fines from Mahan Singh. The reconciliation efforts having failed, he had no alternative but to face the mighty Sardar Jai Singh. To be able to come up to the level of giving a good fight to Jai Singh, the young sardar decided to get as many people on his side as possible. All the opponents and Sikh chiefs jealous of Jai Singh got on the side of Mahan Singh.

A big battle was fought between the two brave Sikh armies, each proud of his men and their expertise in fighting skills. Gurbakhsh Singh, son of Jai Singh was fighting on one front independent of his father. He was murdered in the fight, leaving young Sardarni Sada Kaur a widow and his father without support. Jai Singh could not bear the loss of his only son in the battle and immediately gave up the fight. He threw away his arms and raising his hands cried aloud to his opponent to murder him. While weeping he said he did not want to live without his son, his only hope in the world. The fighting stopped right away leaving Jai Singh a mental wreck and incapable of managing his Misl.

Sardarni Sada Kaur did not lose her heart even under these trying and adverse situations. She decided to face all these problems bravely and tactfully. She reconciled with her main opponent Mahan Singh. She offered the hand of her daughter Mehtab Kaur to Ranjit Singh, the son of Mahan Singh. The engagement of the two children cemented the friendship of their parents and removed all the grains of mutual enmity and misgivings. The combination of the two big Misls, Shakarchakia and Ghanya created a force to be counted as number one in the Punjab state.

It is said misfortunes never come alone. Another great tragedy struck Sada Kaur. Sardar Mahan Singh died three years after the engagement of his son Ranjit Singh and left him an orphan at the age of nine. To face this new unfortunate situation, Sardarni Sada Kaur had to perform the marriage ceremony for her daughter when she was just a child. The marriage entitled her to conduct and manage the affairs of the Shakarchakia Misl as well.

She handled her job so wisely and bravely that she was able to achieve the long cherished goal of the Sikhs of becoming the rulers of Punjab. She performed this great task within 9 years after taking over the charge of the two Misls.

She used both tact and power to unite all the major Misls to take over the rule of Punjab. Some Sikh chiefs willingly joined her because of her good negotiating power. Others, she physically took over with the help of her strong army and annexed their Misls. She gave them (Sikh chiefs defeated by her) appropriate positions in the enlarged kingdom to keep them on her side rather than letting them nurse any ill-will against her as her opponents.

Whenever an opponent tried to weaken her or any invader tried to loot her territory, she defeated them to silence them forever. In this way, one success after the other led her to make her son-in-law, Ranjit Singh, become the ruler of Lahore before the turn of the century. The Sikh Raj was thus established in 1799 in Punjab. She guided, advised, and helped him to take over not only the whole of Punjab lying to the west of the Satlej River, but also to become the ruler of the regions adjacent to the Punjab. Ranjit Singh thus became a great, powerful Maharaja of Punjab. He defeated the Pathans and Mughals, and subdued these great fighters who had been coming from the west, invading and looting Punjab for almost a century.

Sardarni Sada Kaur thus carved out a place for herself in the history of northwestern India as one of the builders of the Sikh State. Sikh women are good statesmen and great soldiers. They can organize armies, win battles, and rule the state well.
December 13, 2010 05:37AM
Bibi Sahib Kaur (1771 - 1801 A.D.)

Bibi Sahib Kaur (1771-1801) was a warrior and leader of men who played a prominent part in the history of the cis-Sutlej states from 1793 to 1801, was the elder sister of Raja Sahib Singh of Patiala. Born in 1771, Sahib Kaur was married at an early age to Jaimal Singh of the Kanhaiya clan, who resided at Fatehgarh and was master of a greater part of the Bari Doab above Dina Nagar in present-day Gurdaspur district of the Punjab. In 1793, Raja Sahib Singh, in view of mounting dissensions within his state, recalled his sister Bibi Sahib Kaur to Patiala and entrusted to her the office of prime minister. She had not been long in Patiala when she had to return to Fatehgarh at the head of a large Patiala army to rescue her husband who had been captured by Fateh Singh, a rival chief. Back in Patiala she faced a large Maratha force marching towards the town in 1794 under the command of Anta Rao and Lachhman Rao.

Raja Bhag Singh of Jind,Jodh Singh of Kalsia and Bhanga Singh of Thanesar joined hands n with her while Tara Singh Ghaiba sent a detachment of troops. The joint force, numbenng about 7,000 men, met the enemy at Mardanpur near Ambala where a fierce engagement took place. The Sikhs were severely outnumbered and would have retreated had not Sahib Kaur, alighting from her rath, i.e. chariots made a brave call with a drawn sword in hand for them to stay firm in their ranks. The next morning they made a sudden charge on the Marathas who, taken by surprise, retired towards Karnal in utter confusion.

Bedi Sahib Singh of Una charged the Pathan chief of Malerkotla with cow-killing and attacked him. He was saved by the timely succour given him hy Sahib Kaur. In 1796, in response to the request of the Raja of Nahan who had sought help from Raja Sahib Singh of Patiala to quell a revolt in his state, Sahib Kaur proceeded to the hills with a strong force and soon reduced the insurgents to submission. The Raja was reinstalled on the gaddi and, at the time of Sahib Kaur's departure, he presented her with many rich andvaluahle gifts in token of his gratitude. In the summer of l799, George Thomas, an English adventurer, who had become very powerful and who ruled the country in the neighbourhood of Hansi and Hissar, turned his attention to the Sikh territories on his northern frontier and reached upon Jind. Sahib Kaur led out a strong contingent to relieve the besieged town and, assisted by the troops of other Sikh chiefs, she forced George Thomas to withdraw.

Owing to differences with her brother, Blbi Sahib Kaur had to leave Patiala to take up residence in Bherlan, near Sunam, which fell within her jagir and where she had built a fort changing the name of the village to Ubheval. She died there in 1801 in the prime of her life.
December 13, 2010 05:39AM
Bibi Nirbhai Kaur

Part 1

Nirbhai Kaur was a fearless and baptized girl of 22. Her father, Jangbahadar Singh, head of the army of Sodhi Wadbhag Singh, had taught her horse riding and use of arms. She was a true saint soldier of guru gobind singh ji maharaj. She was armed whenever she left the house. She was in the prime of her youth, about 6 feet tall having a well built body and a bright face. She was religious minded and never missed her daily prayers. She also helped her mother in household affairs. She was the only daughter of her parents who loved her a lot.

Her girl friends were afraid of Afghan soldiers, but she always told them that they could not live like cowards and they would have to face these tyrant invaders. Once she was returning late at night from the house of a girl friend where she had gone to participate in a singing party held before a marriage. On her way back, she met two drunken Pathan soldiers who ordered her to stop. Before stopping, she drew her sword and cut the right arm of the soldier who stepped towards her. Seeing this, the second soldier ran away. Her sword was still red when she reached home. Her father praised her for her bravery and presence of mind.
Sodhi Wadbagh Singh was the chief of the territory of Kartarpur, near Jullundhar and proprietor of land worth a lot of revenue. He was also a respectable religious guide of the Sikhs and in charge of Gurdwara Tham Sahib, built by the Fifth Master, Guru Arjan Dev. Sodhi was informed by Janhan Khan, commander-in-chief at Lahore that an Afghan soldier, who was coming from Sirhind to Lahore, was killed by somebody in the territory of Kartarpur. He compelled Sodhi to produce the culprit at once. Sodhi could not find the culprit. Jahan Khan ordered the governor of Jullunder to finish Sodhi Wadbhag Singh and loot Kartarpur after killing all those who refused to embrace Islam. In fact, Jahan Khan was under instruction from Abdli to crush the Sikhs as they always harassed him when he returned after looting Delhi.

The governor of Jullunder, with a large force, attacked Kartarpur at midnight and
burnt most of the city. Sodhi, who had a small army, was caught and shut in a room. Even the 250 years-old sacred Gurdwara, Tham Sahib, was not spared and burnt to ashes. In the meantime, some soldiers brought four young girls and presented to the commander as a gift. Their clothes were torn. It seemed that they had fought with the soldiers to save themselves.

The soldiers reported that one of the girls, whose hands were red with blood, had killed two soldiers and was caught after a great struggle. The lustful and sexual commander praised the beauty of the girls. He said to one of them who seemed very angry, “What is your name?” He also tried to touch her cheeks. She thundered and asked him to keep away his hand. She told him that her name was Death of the Enemy, who was standing in front of her. A soldier admonished her to behave if she wanted to live. She fearlessly replied that the Death did not want to live. The governor was surprised to hear that these Sikh girls called themselves daughters of Death and they could use arms and kill a person to save himself or herself. He ordered that all the four be taken to his camp as he would like to enjoy their company at night. The girls were helpless as they had been unarmed.

Part 2

The governor started towards the city to inspect the destruction, massacre of the citizens, and the property looted. There were a number of dead bodies. Some persons were being thrown in the fire. At the same time, a soldier came on a horse and informed the governor that Sodhi, along with his head of the army, had escaped on horseback. The governor and some soldiers chased Sodhi, but they failed to catch him. When they were coming back, they saw one young girl, taking another young girl on her horse, leaving the camp. Her horse was running so fast that the soldiers sent to chase her failed to trace her.

The governor saw that one of the soldiers deputed to watch the girls was lying dead at the door of the camp and the other was bleeding profusely. The bleeding soldier said to the commander, “One of the girls who told that her name was Death jumped over the soldier, snatched his sword, and killed him in the twinkling of an eye. When I went to catch her, I was also injured. The other soldiers were away at a distance. When they came to our rescue, the girl had put another newlywed girl on one of our horses and had disappeared.”

It was Nirbhai Kaur who after killing a soldier and injuring another had taken with her one of her girl friends. She with her girl friends was attending the marriage of one of them when the marriage was disrupted and the house was set on fire. She along with her girlfriends was caught and presented to the chief. On her way, Nirbhai Kaur met her fiancé, Harnam Singh, a young baptized Sikh of twenty-four. She told him the whole story and asked for help to rescue her remaining two friends from the chief. He told her that her father had left with Sodhi Wadbhag Singh and her mother was burnt alive when her house was set on fire by the invading soldiers. She was red with rage on hearing all this and made up her mind to take revenge for all the atrocities.

At midnight, she and her fiancé turned their horses towards the camp. Reaching there, they found that all the watchmen were enjoying a sound sleep. They had eaten to their fill and drank a lot to celebrate their victory. She and her fiancé left the horses and her girlfriend at a distance from the camp and walked towards the camp. As they reached near the camp, they heard the cries of a girl.

Harnam Singh tore the cotton wall of the camp with his sword and they entered the camp from the back. They saw that the chief was throwing the girl on his bed and she was struggling to save herself. At once, Nirbhai Kaur cut the arm of the chief with her sword and, before he could come to his senses, she cut his head and separated it from his body. Another girl was lying unconscious. Harnam Singh carried her and Nirbhai Kaur put the whole camp on fire with the help of the camp lamp. Now all the soldiers were awake and there was confusion everywhere. Fire was spreading to the other camps and everyone was trying to save himself.

Now all the five rode on horses and disappeared in the thick forest before they could be chased. They took rest for a few hours under a tree. At daybreak, they cooked whatever vegetables they could find in the fields and saved themselves from hunger. Nirbhai Kaur’s girl friends wanted to accompany them, as they were afraid that their families would not accept them because they had spent some time with the chief. They started towards the hills, as they were sure that other Sikhs would be there. At Anandpur, they met Sodhi Wadbhag Singh and Jang Bahadur Singh. Here the girl friends of Nirbhai Kaur were baptized to fulfill their desire.

Adina Beg, ex-chief of Jullunder, had revolted against Jahan Khan, the present chief, and was passing his time in those hills. He told Sodhi Wadbhag Singh that he was ready Jullunder if the Sikhs agreed to help him. Sodhi Wadbhag Singh approached the Sikh chief, Jassa Singh Ahluwalia, who agreed to the proposal. Now a huge force of Adina Beg, with the help of the Sikh forces, attacked Jullunder. The Jullunder chief gathered a large force and ammunition, but was defeated. Jullunder was destroyed and Nirbhai Kaur’s desire of taking revenge was fulfilled. It all happened in December 1757.
December 13, 2010 09:34AM
Vah vah! Bohuth shukar hai Bhai Mehtab Singh jee!

[www.sikhitothemax.com]
This shabad is perfect. Guru Sahib has given me my "role".
December 13, 2010 09:39AM
The story of Mata Gulabh Kaur:
[gurmatbibek.com]

If only I could have her darshan... I think a naam japhee from her would kill me. Vaheguroo.
December 13, 2010 10:04AM
The bibian were so amazing, because they were so beautiful, that the moghals would be in awe just looking at them. And then the bibian would get bir ras and finish the moghuls without a word. You cant fight a bibi.

Bibian are the only ones who can be gupt. And you get to give birth to bhagats... GURU SAHIB says dhan dhan to the mothers of bhagats! I am in awe of that.

Mata Sahib Kaur was jathedar after Guru Gobind Singh jee went. if there was no Mata Sahib Kuar we wouldnt have AMRIT. I am vaari balihaari at my mata jee's, at their daughters, who after everything, still kept going. What can I possibly say about bibian? Anything I say is not enough. Only Akaal Purakh knows their kurbani, their bhagti.

I'm vismaadh.
December 13, 2010 11:33AM
Well said Pritam Singh Ji. With all the mess created by men, they seem to hide the hope for humanity.
December 13, 2010 11:35AM
Absolutely Beautiful Saakhis of Gurmukh Bibiyaan.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login