ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Investing in Stock Market

Posted by TarnveerSingh 
Investing in Stock Market
January 29, 2010 08:02PM
VaahegurooJeeKaaKhaalsaaVaahegurooJeeKeeFateh!

What are the sangat's views on GurSikhs investing money in the Stock Market? I personally do not do it and never have. But recently a co-worker asked me if I ever invest in anything. (I invest in Naam! haha). It got me thinking.

To me, it seems similar to a form of gambling. Your money can increase or decrease, but you have no real control over it. If you invest 'x' dollars in a stock, and it goes up, then you may make 'y' extra money. Buy what did you do to earn that 'y' amount? Sure, you may have had the wisdom or insight to pick the correct stock or company, but is that money made through your own honest hard work? There seem to be underlying hints of karma here. If you gain so much extra, then you may lose it the next day. And what do we really know about a corporation's inner workings? Maybe they treat some employees unfairly. Maybe they have some other financial support or partnerships with companies who practice anti-Gurmat things (like tobacco or alcohol companies).

What if a company or stock is found which you know to be a "safe investment?" Would a GurSikh invest his or her earnings? What are the sangat's thoughts?

VaahegurooJeeKaaKhaalsaaVaahegurooJeeKeeFateh!
Tarnveer Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
I personally don't invest in stocks. Just don't have extra disposable income to do so but I know that part of our contribution to company pension is invested in stocks and bonds. Same is true for CPP (Canada Pension Plan), the pension that all working Canadians get from the government.

If you really think of it, what does it mean by buying shares? One is essentially buying a share in a company. If one was to invest in a friends's business, it won't be considered wrong. Then what's wrong with buying shares?

I think it becomes a gamble when one invests as an uninformed investor but if one is an informed investor in a company, then it is not gambling. If one studies the financial statements of a company and know that the company is going to be solid based on this analysis, it seems okay to invest in its stocks.

Again, I don't invest in stocks, bonds or other such things. The above are just my thoughts on this.

Kulbir Singh
I think if the company is a good company and providing a good service to people then their is no harm in investing in such companies. So it is important to do research on the company.

Many people who bet ( gamble) on horse races. They find out info about the jockey , the horse, the climate, etc and then place their bet. This is definitely a form of gambling even though the investor did his research, because then the sole purpose of investing is to make money there is not much investment in society. My simple understanding of Gurmat is when you give somebody money its an investment to uplift someone else not oneself. Guru Ji called such a thing a true bargain while the investment for ones own interest is a false bargain.

I think if a person is investing only for the purpose of making more and more money then ones spiritual life will definitely take a toll, but if one is spending their hard earned money in helping out society there is no harm.
Re: Investing in Stock Market
February 04, 2010 11:37AM
I think long-term stock buying is just like buying a portion of the business and renting some people to run the business. And business is work! So I see no problem in stock buying.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login