ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Basanti colour

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
Re: Basanti colour
December 07, 2010 05:50PM
Vjkk Vjkf Veerjee

Where did you buy the basanti dastar piece ?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
December 07, 2010 08:06PM
is lemon yellow and basanti

the same as the colour khutta?
December 07, 2010 08:14PM
A Singh lives nearby, his mother was recently on an India trip, and she obliged to bring a basanti thaaan for us which we split into two dastaars, one for daas and one for the singh.

I tried going to kapraa store in Brampton, and looking for it, the shopkeeper said "All Khalistanis wear this color"

I just walked out. LOL.
November 06, 2011 08:54AM
I asked someone in india to buy me some surmai material for dastar but the shopkeeper showed them a grey colour and not the dark blue as pictured in the thread so they didnt buy it. Is there any other name for this specific shade?
November 06, 2011 11:54AM
ok so to get this straight, surmai is navy blue (dark blue) and basanti is not orange or yellow but a shade in between ?
November 06, 2011 11:59PM
Basanti is the color which matches the saro(n) ful (flower) color. This in English would be the flowers on the mustard plant.
I once took the saro(n)ful flower to the dastar shop to get an exact match for basanti color.
This saro(n) ful color in english is the almost exact match of fluorescent yellow.
November 07, 2011 07:42AM
Yes, Surmai is Navy Blue, according to Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee and Basanti colour has been explained well in this thread and by Tejasv above.

Kulbir Singh
November 07, 2011 09:23AM
Daas saw a lot of sings in India who used to wear the basanti colour keski. Always used to thing why would they wear this odd colour. Now I realise what they were wearing was the REAL color. Daas will now buy basanti keskis from now on.

This website has proven to be a real help in bringing out some of the old rehats of gursikhs. Thanks to all sevadaars.
November 11, 2011 02:04PM
I am not so sure that navy blue is the correct translation of surmai, as I mentioned in my earlier post shopkeepers in india considered surmai to be a grey colour, and having checked my punjabi dictionary, the definition for surmai is given as "Greyish, light blue, dark grey". Which is odd considering I have not seen any picture of bhai sahib or other gursikhs wearing this colour...
November 11, 2011 03:09PM
Same here Uttam Singh, I went to cloth store and asked for surmai colour and they gave me grey. Then I said give me navy blue and they gave me the colour in the picture Upkaar Singh has posted.
November 11, 2011 04:08PM
I think the closest English translation of surmai is Navy Blue ( Dark Blue). The color
surmai is somewhere in the lines between the color black and blue. Surmai
is an extremely dark blue from far away it looks black. According to all
the rehats Khalsa Bana is nila ( blue) and the mention of surmai blue helps us
know what color blue as their are thousands of shades of blue. It would never
be light blue as this is the color Muslims wear on prayer days.
March 07, 2012 02:14PM
[www.youtube.com]

Although I don't like this guy, but he says here that Basanti is the True colour of the Khalsa
April 27, 2012 03:28PM
Khalsa jee, sorry to bring this up again as it has already been discussed, but i cannot find surmai navy blue color anywhere. Where do singhs get this color in toronto? I got the darkest blue i could find and its close but it does not seem to be the true surmai dark color. Also, where do singhs get this color for the chola? I asked a relative to get surmai chola from india but the shopkeeper said all khalistanis where royal blue and now this is the color i have, but it's far too light. Thank you for the help sangat jee

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Jee Ki Fateh
April 27, 2012 11:00PM
When I went to SurreyStan I didnt have trouble finding surami rang.

Baba Ji dont make things so complicated. Simply stated Surami is very dark blue. Pehli Paatshah refers to is as Kala Bhana( dark/black attire) in some verses and nila ( blue) in other verses. Whether its very dark blue or just blue doesnt make a big difference. Panj Pyaarey all dressed in same color and attire to show equality. Meaning they were all brothers and sisters belonging to the same family. There was no high or low. They did not associate themselves with the colors associated with a specific caste or the colors associated with other religions. The meaning behind the Bana is more important then the color. The color blue makes us humble and reminds us we are all equals, and we should regard ourselves as our "Brothers Keeper"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login