ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shabad of Guru Nanak Dev Ji

Posted by Tegbir Singh 
Shabad of Guru Nanak Dev Ji
November 21, 2010 01:25PM
waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh !!

sadh sangat jio

as the world rejoices and celebrates the auspicious moment of Siri Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Ji's Gurpurab, Tegbir Singh has come across this peculiar shabad that rather needs further understanding and discussion. This Shabad of Guru Nanak Dev Ji talks about some wonders that Tegbir Singh has not been able to properly comprehend. Perhaps some Gurmukh Pyaaraa can better explain the following shabad:

ਸਾਹਿਬ ਕੇ ਗੁਣ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਗਾਵੈ ਮਾਸ ਪੁਰੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਆਖੁ ਮਸੋਲਾ ॥
Nanak sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord and Master in the city of corpses, and voices this account.

What does Guru Sahib mean by "city of corpses"?

ਜਿਨਿ ਉਪਾਈ ਰੰਗਿ ਰਵਾਈ ਬੈਠਾ ਵੇਖੈ ਵਖਿ ਇਕੇਲਾ ॥
The One who created, and attached the mortals to pleasures, sits alone, and watches this.

ਸਚਾ ਸੋ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਚੁ ਤਪਾਵਸੁ ਸਚੜਾ ਨਿਆਉ ਕਰੇਗੁ ਮਸੋਲਾ ॥
The Lord and Master is True, and True is His justice. He issues His Commands according to His judgement.

ਕਾਇਆ ਕਪੜੁ ਟੁਕੁ ਟੁਕੁ ਹੋਸੀ ਹਿਦੁਸਤਾਨੁ ਸਮਾਲਸੀ ਬੋਲਾ ॥
The body-fabric will be torn apart into shreds, and then India will remember these words.
What Guru Sahib mean by "torn apart into shreds", and what words india will remember?

ਆਵਨਿ ਅਠਤਰੈ ਜਾਨਿ ਸਤਾਨਵੈ ਹੋਰੁ ਭੀ ਉਠਸੀ ਮਰਦ ਕਾ ਚੇਲਾ ॥
Coming in seventy-eight (1521 A.D.), they will depart in ninety-seven (1540 A.D.), and then another disciple of man will rise up.
What does Guru Sahib actually mean, or what is He actually telling us? What happenend in 1521 A.D. and 1540 A.D.? And who rose up?

ਸਚ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਆਖੈ ਸਚੁ ਸੁਣਾਇਸੀ ਸਚ ਕੀ ਬੇਲਾ ॥2॥3॥5॥
Nanak speaks the Word of Truth; he proclaims the Truth at this, the right time. ||2||3||5||

What does Guru Sahib really mean here?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
This Beautiful and lesson-giving Shabad appears in Raag-Tilang, in Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee. This is one of the 4 Shabads of Siri Guru Nanak Dev jee that are collectively called Babar Baani because these Shabads relate to Babar's attack on Hindustan.

One Shabad and two Ashtpadis appear in Raag Asa and one Shabad appears in Raag Tilang. The Shabad that appears in Raag Tilang is the first Shabad and is a Peshangoee (telling the future). When Guru Sahib went to Saidpur (Aimnabad), the town of Bhai Lalo and witnessed that the people of this town were totally indulged in the pleasures of the world and did not remember Vaheguru at anytime, Guru Sahib foretold of the destruction that this town was inviting as a result of its sinful behavior. If we look at the whole Shabad we notice that the first half of the Shabad is addressed to Bhai Laalo. Daas, by the Kirpa of Guru Sahib intends to write a detailed Vichaar on Babar Baani but for now let's discuss the intelligent questions you have raised in your post.

ਸਾਹਿਬ ਕੇ ਗੁਣ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਗਾਵੈ ਮਾਸ ਪੁਰੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਆਖੁ ਮਸੋਲਾ ॥
Nanak sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord and Master in the city of corpses, and voices this account.
What does Guru Sahib mean by "city of corpses"?

The translation is wrong. Maas-puri has been wrongly translated as "city of corpses". Maaspuri means the city of meat i.e. this body.

ਕਾਇਆ ਕਪੜੁ ਟੁਕੁ ਟੁਕੁ ਹੋਸੀ ਹਿਦੁਸਤਾਨੁ ਸਮਾਲਸੀ ਬੋਲਾ ॥
The body-fabric will be torn apart into shreds, and then India will remember these words.
What Guru Sahib mean by "torn apart into shreds", and what words india will remember?

When Guru Sahib saw that both Sharam and Dharam had vanished from the land, He predicted bodies will be cut into pieces i.e. many will die when they will get attacked. Guru Sahib is saying that Hindustan will remember His prediction that destruction will be coming to this land soon, as a result of their sinful activities.

ਆਵਨਿ ਅਠਤਰੈ ਜਾਨਿ ਸਤਾਨਵੈ ਹੋਰੁ ਭੀ ਉਠਸੀ ਮਰਦ ਕਾ ਚੇਲਾ ॥
Coming in seventy-eight (1521 A.D.), they will depart in ninety-seven (1540 A.D.), and then another disciple of man will rise up.
What does Guru Sahib actually mean, or what is He actually telling us? What happenend in 1521 A.D. and 1540 A.D.? And who rose up?

Guru Sahib is writing that in Sammat 1578, they aggressors will come to India and bring destruction but they will be driven away in Sammat 1597 when Mard-ka-Chela Sher Shah Suri will rise. History is witness to this accurate prediction of Guru Sahib and this is exactly how it happened. Babar came in 1578 Sammat and the Mughals were driven out by the Pathan leader Sher Shah Suri in 1597.

If Guru Sahib permits, a more detailed Vichaar on Babar Baani will be done.

By the way, other Shabads of Babar Baani are as follows:

ਖੁਰਾਸਾਨ ਖਸਮਾਨਾ ਕੀਆ ਹਿੰਦੁਸਤਾਨੁ ਡਰਾਇਆ ॥ (360)

ਕਹਾ ਸੁ ਖੇਲ ਤਬੇਲਾ ਘੋੜੇ ਕਹਾ ਭੇਰੀ ਸਹਨਾਈ ॥ (417)

ਆਦੇਸੁ ਬਾਬਾ ਆਦੇਸੁ ॥ (417)

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Bhai Harjinder Singh Srinagar, about 20 years ago, released a cassette in which he sang the 4 Shabads of Babar Baani. What a wonderful Kirtan he did! Each and every one of the four Shabads have been sung according to the mood of the Shabad. These Shabads have always remained with me as a result of Srinagar jee's Kirtan. Extremely melodious!

Kulbir Singh
Tegbir Singh ji has raised some amazing and faithful queries.
Bhai Kulbir Singh jio, thanks for enlightening!

i remember a while back, maybe about 2 years or so, some singh from here Toronto did that "Laalo" shabad..i didnt know wat the Shabad meant, then later another Singh gave me Santhiyaa of that "Laalo" shabad, and then i understood that the Shabad is being referenced to Bhai Laalo Ji by Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Ji Maharaj.

i remember hearing one of the shabads from the audio casette, it was "Aadesh Baabaa Aadesh", it still is heart touching and plays in my shabad
Thanks Bhai Kulbir Singh Ji and Bhai Jaspreet Singh Ji for your responses.

Bhai Kulbir Singh Ji, i wish every success in writing that article about Baabar Baani ji, may Guru Sahib be with you!

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH !
Khalsajee, one can listen to the Bhai Harjinder Singh Jee Sri Nagar Vale recordings of the 4 Baabar Bani shabads here: [www.sikhsangeet.com]

Unfortunately not for download, just listen on the website. I think sikhsangeet used to provide free full downloads of all tracks but some of the record companies of the Raagis got in touch and stopped them from doing so.

One can download the tracks here:

1. Jin Ke Banke Ghari Na Aya
2. Karta Tun Sabnan Ka Soyee
3. Ades Baba Ades
4. Jaise Mein Aave Khasam Ki Bani
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login