ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Do not wear shoes when a Gursikh have open "KESH"

Posted by Ravinder 
I don't know too much about it but i have listen a sakhi in childhood about Guru Arjan Dev ji that a Gursikh should not wear shoes when have open "KESH" (hair).Even during the time "KESH HARE KARNE" Guru ji donot wear Kharava(shoes).
Usually in India,Sikhs don't know. I meet some Gursikhs in india they don't know about it. I request to gursikhs if they can add more about it.

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh jio
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Ravinder (Singh?) jee, I have also heard that we should not wear the shoes when kesh are done hare or otherwise open.

A bajurg Singh Sahib at local Gurdwara Sahib told me about this, I respect them as they listen to a lot of katha and are very keen on history, they sometimes tell me about little things like this. He also mentioned saakhi, but this was from Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee's times. I don't remember full details, but I think it was something like Guru Jee was on their ghoRa (horse) and it was time for Sri Rehraas Sahib so they dismounted horse, removed shoes, untied Dastaars, combed Kesh, retied Dastaars, did Sanskaar of the fallen Kesh, and then recited Nitnem.

Having said that, I have not seen many Gursikhs in India or the West who are aware of this. It's not a big deal anyway, because in the morning we are usually in our homes after Keshi Ishnaan so then we can just avoid wearing any chappals (slippers) while the kesh are open. Same, in the evening time, before opening Kesh, we can just take shoes off, then put them back on afterwards.
There is a rehitnama that relates to the saakhi shared by JaskiratSingh - "kangha doono vakt kar paag chunnay kar bandhaaee"

I don't ever remember re-doing kesh with shoes on but for some reason it seems very logical to remove shoes before doing kangha.

Side topic, regarding the rehitnama I shared above - doono vakt probably refers to morning and evening time (sodar) however if you are at work, it's probably not possible to re-do dastar in the evening. I always do it in the morning and then before going to bed. Is this okay?
Umkeo Heo ji,

We do Kangha two times so that we can takecare of our kesh properly. So i don't think its very recommended to do khanga in evening time only,if you don't have choice you can do it in night time.Everyone shuold do Khanga that's what i know and i don't think everyone do kangha in evening because useally many of us not in home (including me) in evening so the time left for us is before going to bed.smiling smiley

bhul chuk di muaafi

Dass
Slightly off topic - I've seen Singh's remove their shoes when performing Ardaas outside ie after a Nagar Kirtan, is there a Rehatnama that states this as well.

The reasoning behind not having kesh open whilst wearing shoes, could be to prevent us from going out without a dastar.
The only logic I can see on not wearing shoes with open kes is one does not go outside in public without being tyar bar tyar. I dont know of any rule that condemns the wearing of shoes with open kes.

The only rehatnama I have come across that mentions anything about wearing shoes is not wearing shoes in the langar hall. If one does they are an apostate. Its common sense why we dont wear shoes in darbar sahib and langar.

I still dont know the logic as to why we could not wear shoes if we are drying our kes outside? Even through I dry my kes indoors, I have seen a Gurmukh wearing shoes outside with open kes so at the time being I see no harm in wearing shoes with open kes as long as we are not in public.
veer ji,
i think first of all it is a matter of respect for our kesh.Personally i believe because By Giayani Maskeen ji had shared about all that i have started in topic,with example of Guru ji life experience. we wear shoes or chaples in home or outside when we feel that our feets goona dirty if i just walked away without shoes. And if be think so, here if we have open kesh and possibly if 1 or more kesh felldown in that dirty area. I think it is BEAADBI of our kesh.i don't think everyone just kept on wacthing floor to collect them( i know usally we take care of that but we can just collect them but don't able to catch them before they toch that dirty place).and if you wear shoes the kesh goona falldown may comes under feet, its really bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. That's why i think during KASH hare kerne or Kangha kerna,we should stay in limited clean area.IT is not a big matter in countries like Canada,uk or america etc.but when we go to india or pakistan or live there.we should aware of it so we can takecare of it.
If we love our kesh so we should gave respect as much as we can piyare jiosmiling bouncing smiley

bhul chuk muaaf kerni ji

Dass
Ravindersingh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> veer ji,
> i think first of all it is a matter of respect for
> our kesh.Personally i believe because By Giayani
> Maskeen ji had shared about all that i have
> started in topic,with example of Guru ji life
> experience. we wear shoes or chaples in home or
> outside when we feel that our feets goona dirty if
> i just walked away without shoes. And if be think
> so, here if we have open kesh and possibly if 1 or
> more kesh felldown in that dirty area. I think it
> is BEAADBI of our kesh.i don't think everyone
> just kept on wacthing floor to collect them( i
> know usally we take care of that but we can just
> collect them but don't able to catch them before
> they toch that dirty place).and if you wear shoes
> the kesh goona falldown may comes under feet, its
> really bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. That's why i think
> during KASH hare kerne or Kangha kerna,we should
> stay in limited clean area.IT is not a big matter
> in countries like Canada,uk or america etc.but
> when we go to india or pakistan or live there.we
> should aware of it so we can takecare of it.
> If we love our kesh so we should gave respect as
> much as we can piyare jiosmiling bouncing smiley
>
>
> bhul chuk muaaf kerni ji
>
> Dass

Veer Ji you are right. I did not take into account the possible beadbi of walking out with uncovered kes. Thanks for sharing this information.
That's right, a good point made by Veer Jee above. Also, if I am not mistaken there is a Saakhi when many Singhs were Shaheed on the battlefield and so Dastaars had come off and there was Kesh all about the place, so Guru Jee (Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee) took off their shoes before walking on the field.
it reminded me a sakhi of Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Jee.. while he was doing kangha...a singh(do not remember his name) asked Guru Sahib ji how we should take care of Kes so that it may please you Sachepatshah! ..Guru Sahib Ji then told him everything about that...it is like this as narrated by a Bhai Sahib...
Do Keshishnaan daily..to keep them clean..
Never say Kes sukhana...say Kes Hare Karna...
Do not wear Khraavaan while kesishnaan...and the time during Kes Hare Karna...
Wear 2 Keski (one smaller and one larger)
Nourish your Kes with Oil..(Guru Sahib Ji used to love oiling his hair)
Decorate your Turban with Shastrs...
While doing kanga keep a clean cloth on which kes fell down (and by this it becomes easy to collect them) (means do not let them fall on the floor and on your feet)....

....sorry for any mistake in the above written Sakhi...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login