ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Showing Keskee under Dastaar...

Posted by Tanvir Singh 
VahegurooJeeKhalsaa VahegurooJeeKeeFatheh

My quiry is that many gurmukhs show their keskee when they have tied their dastaaran

Daas wants to know, whats the significance of this ?

I know, singhs said Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji has written about this but what is the concept ?

If you see singhs with dumalle or gurmukhe dastaaran, you will see the basant keskee showing under their dastaars

Please explain the deeper meaning of it.

Daas has done it as well on previous occassions, but honeslty, it was only for "style"

Khima Karnee Jee

VahegurooJeeKaaKhalsaa VahegurooJeeKeeFatheh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Daas always tries to show his Basanti Keski beneath the Surmai (Navy Blue) Dastaara, irrespective of whether the Dastara is a Sidha Gurmukhi Dastaara or Dumaala style. Of course, sometimes this gets omitted but lately, i.e. last few years, Daas has tried to follow this rule. The reason is that, Daas heard from many senior Gursikhs that Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee and pretty much all Ranglay Sajjan used to show Keski underneath their Dastaara. Without Keski showing underneath, Suvaad nahi Aunda. That's all.

I am not aware of this being a part of Rehit. The requirement of Rehit, to the best of my knowledge, is that there should be a Keski underneath and a Dastara on top of it. That's it.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
For Gurmukhi Dastaar it's sort of a requirement, otherwise forehead will remain quite naked. I don't think I can recall last time Gurmukhi Dastaar was seen without visible Keski underneath.

For Dumalla, I don't think this is necessary, but like you said jee, maybe done for style or to identify as member of AKJ. If we look at photos of Gurmukhs from Bhai Sahib's time who wore Dumalla and not Gurmukhi Dastaar (e.g. Dr. Surinder Singh Jee) they are not showing the Keski underneath the Dumalla.
Vaheguroo

sach hai jee

jadon dumalle thale keskee dikhdee hai, fer sachi dastaar daa roop hor vee ankheelaa ho jaunda hai

shukar hai jeeo, for clearing it up
i dont think this should be used as an "identification badge" for AKJ singhs

yes with a gurmukhee dastaar, it would be sort of odd to not show keskee

but even with a dumalla, it looks good (suvaad aa jaundaa)
Re: Showing Keskee under Dastaar...
November 03, 2010 03:10PM
can you wear other colours as a keski? like a blue or white or black? or does it have to be kesri... i hardly ever wear a kesri keski..
Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Jee has written that Basant (Kesri) for Keski and Surmai (Deep Blue) for Dastaar are optimum colours and he will not compromise on them. However Bhatt Sarup Singh Kaushish in Bhatt Vehis historical document has stated original Keski was Blue.

Also, all Nihang Singhs follow Blue Keski rehat, and do not allow any other colour to touch their Kesh. For these reasons I personally always wear Blue one, but I don't think it big deal if Gursikhs wish to wear Basant, White or Blue.
the ideal way is to

tie a neelee keskee into your hair

then tie a basant colored middle dastaar

then a surmai dastar on top

this if of course for tieing a dumalla
What colour do the gursikhs here ask for from the shop keepers? do they recognise words surmee and basanti or is there another way to refer to them? I usually just pick up a shade of blue that I like the look of.
Re: Showing Keskee under Dastaar...
November 17, 2010 12:02AM
in my experience, pick the color that you find most suitable. when i asked my tailor in india (via phone) for an "akali blue" bana and "akali blue" dastaar, i wound up with two very different colors of blue. so yeah, i'd guess they all have different ideas of what word means what color.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login