ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is Mukti?

Posted by Jaskirat Singh 
What is Mukti?
September 13, 2010 09:45AM
A few days ago I was having discussion with a Gursikh and the topic of mukti came up, they said some things that upset my already inadequate understanding of the word mukti. The word mukti is translated into English as liberation/salvation.

What I understood was that only Gurmukhs of the House of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Jee with high spiritual status (i.e. Jot Vigyaas) can be considered jeevan mukt (liberated whilst still alive), and that only Sri Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Jee can give mukti to anyone:

ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਵਿਣੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਪਾਏ ॥੨੨॥
kehai naanak veechaar dhaekhahu vin sathigur mukath n paaeae |22|
Says Nanak, contemplate this and see, that without the True Guru, there is no liberation. ||22||

I thought whenever mukti is mentioned is mentioned in Gurbani it is referring to this Gurmat Mukti, and is synonymous with being a permanent resident of SachKhand/Begumpura.

Bhagat Naam Dev Jee on Ang 1292 says:

ਮੂਏ ਹੂਏ ਜਉ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਦੇਹੁਗੇ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਨੈ ਕੋਇਲਾ ॥
mooeae hooeae jo mukath dhaehugae mukath n jaanai koeilaa |
Dr. Trilochan Singh Jee translates this as: If you give me liberation after death, what would such a liberation be worth?
The one in STTM by Bhai Sant Singh Jee 3HO is: If You liberate me after I am dead, no one will know that I am liberated.

So is there a chance someone can be liberated after death? As we know Vaheguru Jee can do anything, so maybe this is possibility.

ਅੰਤਿ ਕਾਲਿ ਨਾਰਾਇਣੁ ਸਿਮਰੈ ਐਸੀ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਮਹਿ ਜੇ ਮਰੈ ॥
anth kaal naaraaein simarai aisee chinthaa mehi jae marai |
At the very last moment, one who thinks of the Lord, and dies in such thoughts,

ਬਦਤਿ ਤਿਲੋਚਨੁ ਤੇ ਨਰ ਮੁਕਤਾ ਪੀਤੰਬਰੁ ਵਾ ਕੇ ਰਿਦੈ ਬਸੈ ॥੫॥੨॥
badhath thilochan thae nar mukathaa peethanbar vaa kae ridhai basai |5|2|
says Trilochan, that man shall be liberated; the Lord shall abide in his heart. ||5||2|| (Ang 526)

In the above pangtees Bhagat Jee is saying that someone who remembers God at last moment before death will be liberated. Would this be in the very rare case of someone who is not yet Jot Vigyaasi Gurmukh but via the kirpa of Satguru Jee is doing Naam Abhiyaas at last moments before death and is blessed with Jot Vigyaas right then? Or could it be anyone who remembers God via Gurmat Naam or other Kirtam Naam at the time of death? As we know non Sikh cannot get to Sach Khand so in this case does mukti mean something else?

Also what is the difference between swarag (heaven) and baikunTh (paradise), and where are they located in relation to the 5 Khands? From my understanding I thought there are millions of swarags and naraks in Dharam Khand realm, and that baikunThs would be located in Gyaan Khand. What about other religions, for example if there is a devout Sufi Muslim who follows code of conduct, does some type of remembrance of God, never misses nawaz etc is it possible they could go past Dharam Khand outside of the 84 Lakh janum and maybe reach Gyaan Khand?As we know all Khands except Karam Khand and Sach Khand are temporary and if/when Vaheguru Jee takes back creation everything else will get nullified.

So I would like to ask what exactly is meant by the word mukti, and are there different types of mukti?

I do apologise if the above seems confusing, I can't really clarify further, as I am already thinking at maximum capacity haha, but I hope there can be some informative replies and answers to the many questions in the above post.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: What is Mukti?
September 16, 2010 01:54PM
ਅੰਤਿ ਕਾਲਿ ਨਾਰਾਇਣੁ ਸਿਮਰੈ ਐਸੀ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਮਹਿ ਜੇ ਮਰੈ ॥
anth kaal naaraaein simarai aisee chinthaa mehi jae marai |
At the very last moment, one who thinks of the Lord, and dies in such thoughts,

ਬਦਤਿ ਤਿਲੋਚਨੁ ਤੇ ਨਰ ਮੁਕਤਾ ਪੀਤੰਬਰੁ ਵਾ ਕੇ ਰਿਦੈ ਬਸੈ ॥੫॥੨॥
badhath thilochan thae nar mukathaa peethanbar vaa kae ridhai basai |5|2|
says Trilochan, that man shall be liberated; the Lord shall abide in his heart. ||5||2|| (Ang 526)

Please ponder upon the entire Shabad. Can someone who indulges in maya for his entire life start meditating upon Naam in the end? State of mind near death depends on how one lives his life. Countless gursikhs automatically did swas swas simran when they were about to die physically. However, there are some cases when a sinful person gets grace of Waheguru but only through pooran gursikhs. One case is when a dying person in jail kept screaming upon seeing a ghost and Bhai Randhir Singh did ardaas for him. He started doing swas swas simran. Another case is when a person requested Bhai Veer Singh to help him on his death bed. Bhai Sahib came home and did ardaas. Later, that person died. When Bhai Sahib went to sleep, in his dream he found himself walking in parkarma of Darbar Sahib and the person who had died met him and told him that he had been saved from hell.

There is another story which my uncle told me. In his village a person who had never done anything good in his life went to bus stand to travel to city but he came running back to his house screaming like hell and saying “they are coming after me. They want to take me away. They are hurting me.” He kept screaming. As soon as he came back to his house, he confined himself to bed. Then he could not get up but kept screaming while stating the same thing over and over. His relatives came to the Gurdwara quickly and requested my uncle to help him. They thought maybe some ghost had caught him and reading bani might help him. My uncle read Sukhmani Sahib out loud and while he listened he was very peaceful and quiet. During Sukhmani Sahib he stated that jamdoots had come to get him but now they were standing outside the room and not hurting him. After Sukhmani Sahib was over my uncle left the room. As soon as he did, the person started screaming again. My uncle came back and read one more Sukhmani Sahib, the person was at peace again but when bani was over and my uncle left, same thing happened. My uncle read another Sukhmani Sahib but at the end same thing happened. He kept screaming and kept urging my uncle to keep reading. But my uncle left saying that he will have to pay for his sins. He told the person to read bani himself but he said he couldn’t because jamdoots were causing so much pain. Then the person died after screaming for hours. Had a high avastha gursikh done ardaas for him he probably would’ve died peacefully and got another chance.

So my opinion (not fact since I have no avastha) is that one can be saved (not really liberated or allowed in Sachkhand) from hell and 84 lakh joons. They will probably get another chance as a human being. I cannot be doing sins all my life and then expect God to save me in the end. In the case of Ajamal, he loved his son Narayan so much that he always called his name. His state of mind was in the same name when he died. It was not like he did sins all his life and then said God’s name once and got muktee. In order to be able to do naam simran in the end requires a lot of bhagtee during the life or it has to be an ardaas of a pooran gursikh. It is all in Waheguru’s hand and only He gives muktee. Rest Guru Sahib knows.
Re: What is Mukti?
September 17, 2010 01:30AM
RANG NA LAGAYEE PARBRAHM SARPAR NARKE JAAYE
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login