ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shabad - Kari Paaksaal Soch Pavitra

Posted by outwardly 
Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

What are the sangats views regarding doing bhog/parvaangi to Degh in Ardas. The panthic stance is to do parvaangi to Degh in Ardas, but many Gursikhs also say "Aap ji, Bhog lao". What is the actual meaning of bhog? Some say that it means that Guru Mahraaj takes a sample of the Degh via Kirpaan??? What does the following pangti mean and does it really have a relevance when doing bhog to degh?:

ਕਰੀਪਾਕਸਾਲਸੋਚਪਵਿਤ੍ਰਾਹੁਣਿਲਾਵਹੁਭੋਗੁਹਰਿਰਾਏ॥2॥

Forgive me for any mistakes made in my ramblings. Mahraaj sumat bakhshann...
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Outwardly jeeo,

It really does not matter whether you say "Parvaan Karo" or "Bhog Lavo". If we get the great fortune of serving Siri Guru jee in human form, it would not matter if we said, "Parshaada parvaan karo Sachay Paatshah" or "Bhog lavo Sache Paatshah". Either way the idea is for Guru Sahib to accept the sewa of Degh.

At the time when Guru Sahibaan were in human form, Degh was brought in their hazoori and they took degh before it was served in the sangat. Now that our Guru is Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee, the degh is accepted by Guru Sahib through Kirpan Bhet.

As for the meaning of the word "bhog", it has many meanings in Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee.

1) Completion of a task is said "Bhog pai giya" e.g. Siri Akhand Paath Sahib da bhog.

2) To enjoy the pleasures of the world is described as "bhog Bhogne" as is evident in the following pankiti:

ਮਿਰਤੁ ਨ ਆਵੀ ਚਿਤਿ ਤਿਸੁ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਭੋਗੈ ਭੋਗੁ ॥

(Death does not come in his mind; and night and day he revels in pleasures)

3) Every material requirement or substances we get from Vaheguru are also called Bhog, as per the following pankiti:

ਦੇਦਾ ਰਹੈ ਨ ਚੂਕੈ ਭੋਗੁ ॥

(He continues to give, and His Provisions never run short.)

4) The act of Copulation is said to "Bhog karna" as in the following pankiti:

ਜੇ ਲਖ ਇਸਤਰੀਆ ਭੋਗ ਕਰਹਿ ਨਵ ਖੰਡ ਰਾਜੁ ਕਮਾਹਿ ॥
ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਗੁਰ ਸੁਖੁ ਨ ਪਾਵਈ ਫਿਰਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਜੋਨੀ ਪਾਹਿ ॥੩॥

(Even if you do bhog with 100,000 women and become the kingdom of 9 continents, without the Satguru you will not get happiness and you will get into lifeforms again and again.)

ਕਾਇਆ ਕਾਮਣਿ ਜੇ ਕਰੀ ਭੋਗੇ ਭੋਗਣਹਾਰੁ ॥
(If I surrender my body like a bride, the Enjoyer will enjoy me.)

5) To eat too is referred to as "bhogna" as is the case in the following pankiti:

ਭੋਗਹੁ ਭੁੰਚਹੁ ਭਾਈਹੋ ਪਲੈ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਗਥਾ ॥

The pankiti you quoted is as follows:

ਅਨਿਕ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ ਭੋਜਨ ਬਹੁ ਕੀਏ ਬਹੁ ਬਿੰਜਨ ਮਿਸਟਾਏ ॥
ਕਰੀ ਪਾਕਸਾਲ ਸੋਚ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਹੁਣਿ ਲਾਵਹੁ ਭੋਗੁ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਏ ॥੨॥

This is giving an example of a pativarta woman (a woman dedicated to her husband) who prepares many kinds of delicious foods after fully cleaning her kitchen and then in high anticipation requests her husband to accept the food she has prepared by eating it. Same way, the seeker of Vaheguru does many acts of Gurmat including Naam Simran, Gurbani Paath, keeping rehit of Guru, sacrificing for Guru and Panth, giving up sensual pleasures of the world and then requests Vaheguru to accept his sewa by giving darshan and accepting him.

Kulbir Singh
Nice question. Should you do bhog of Degh during the ardaas or after?

HS.
Answer please?

HS.
Normally the bogh of degh is done during the ardaas but there are strong arguments in favour of doing it after Hukamnama Sahib. One's who say that it should be done during the ardaas give the argument that as soon as ardaas is done, at the same time it is fulfilled. On the other hand ones who are against bhog during ardaas say that during ardaas, one should be doing only ardaas and that practically Guru Sahib would take bhog only after ardaas and not during ardaas.

At this time, this daas follows what is done in the mainstream i.e. bhog during ardaas but when I and my Singhnee are alone, then we do it after hukamnama because one of us does ardaas and the other one does Chaur sewa. There should be at least 3 Gursikhs in the sangat if we the bhog is to be done during ardaas.

Kulbir Singh
Thank you for your reply Veer jee. Correct me if im wrong, but I think Panthic Maryada also states doing Kirpan-bhet after hukamnama Sahib.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!
Outwardly jeeo, I believe you are correct in saying that the SGPC maryada instructs to do Kirpan-bhet after the Hukamnama Sahib.

Kulbir Singh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login