ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Why the hell do I?"

Posted by Kulbir Singh 
"Why the hell do I?"
August 09, 2010 09:14PM
Bernard Shaw used to tell a story about his father, whom he was delighted to watch shaving everyday. One day the five year old Shaw looked up and asked the old man "Daddy, why do you shave?

The father looked at his small son for a full minute and then threw the razor out of the window, saying, "Why the hell do I?" He never did again.

Sunday Tribune, dated 6th December, 1970 (Editorial)

Bernard Shaw too maintained full beard all his life and did not shave. Hopefully, our misled brothers and sisters who still cut their hair and shave would be as sensible as Shaw's father.

Kulbir Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: "Why the hell do I?"
August 10, 2010 01:27PM
Veerji,

Perhaps, Bernard Shaw understood something our misled brothers and sisters don't. This incident reminded me of Dr. Rabindarnath Tagore. He was at a kavi(poet) sammelan (gathering/conference) when he ran into into a Patit. This person was a budding poet and in complete awe of Dr. Tagore. He was eagerly looking forward to meet him. He told Dr. Tagore how much he liked his poems and his overall work in general. Dr. Tagore said thank you, but I have a question for you.

Dr. Tagore: You use the last name as Singh, are you a Sikh?
Budding Poet: Yes, Dr Sahib, I am a Sikh.

Dr. Tagore: Do you read do any Baanis of your Gurus?
Budding Poet: Yes, I do Siri Japji Sahib everyday in the morning.

Dr. Tagore: I would just like to tell you that I read the great baani of Siri Japji Sahib only once in my life and after that never touched razor again.

Moral of the above story: Dr. Tagore being a great poet had deeper understanding than most. He felt the depth of Gurbani and as a mark of respect to Guru Sahib's hukam chose to never cut his beard again. In comparison, our misled brothers and sisters are often found questioning the Hukam itself.

Guru Sahib kirpa karan.
Re: "Why the hell do I?"
August 10, 2010 04:29PM
Gyani Maskeen ji once said in a katha that there have been 3 Sant likhaaris (saintly writers) in modern times within the past century. Among Hindus it was Rabindranath Tagore, among Muslims it was Alaama Iqbal and among Sikhs it was Bhai Vir Singh ji.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login