ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is there a way out?‏

Posted by Mehtab Singh 
Is there a way out?‏
January 19, 2010 10:56AM
A lot of times when one or more or all of the 5 vikaars launch their onslaught on our weak minds and senses, we are caught off guard, we feel defenseless, and keep wondering over and over again as to how to combat these dark forces. We try to devise ways on how to fight every single one of them. Gurbani repeatedly warns us against every single one of them, as they are all equally deadly. Gurujee called kaam as nrk ibsRwm, it takes us straight to hell, qRY lok gMm, it pervades all the 3 worlds, aUc nIc smwvxh, it doesn't spare anyone, high or low. About anger, inrq´M kroiq jQw mrkth, it makes us dance like monkeys. Moh can destroy the most powerful and invincible ones, Aiq blnw bhu mrdnh. Lobh makes us lose respect for our near and dear ones like parents, siblings and friends too, nc imqRM nc iestM nc bwDv nc mwq ipqw qv ljXw. The worst one is hankaar, and its called as the soul of sin, AhMkwrM pwpwqmw.

The questions remains, is there a way out? Yes we are asked to do Ardas, again and again and again, repeatedly, without stopping. And then what? What exactly is the source of all these 5 demons? Maya? Where does Maya come from? God made Maya, but why would God make Maya if it is so harmful for our spirituality? These things can keep running in one's head (like in mine, if they find any place in there thanks to the overcrowding caused by vikaars).

We ask "Why do we keep doing things we are not supposed to do?"

Gurbani says
ਕਰਮ ਸੁਕਰਮ ਕਰਾਏ ਆਪੇ ਕੀਮਤਿ ਕਉਣ ਅਭੇਵਏ ॥
karam sukaram karaaeae aapae keemath koun abhaeveae ||
He Himself causes us to do good and bad deeds; who can know the value of the Mysterious Lord?

We ask again, and Gurujee says
ਕਰਮ ਸੁਕਰਮ ਕਰਾਏ ਆਪੇ ਆਪੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਮੰ ॥
karam sukaram karaaeae aapae aapae bhagath dhrirraama(n) ||
The Lord Himself causes them to do good and bad deeds; He Himself makes them steadfast in devotional worship.

We wonder why, and how long will this go on for?

He says
ਆਪਿ ਭੁਲਾਵੈ ਆਪਿ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਪਾਏ ॥
aap bhulaavai aap maarag paaeae ||
He Himself misleads us, and He Himself puts us back on the Path.

We still don't get it, and He says
ਇਕਿ ਆਪੇ ਆਪਿ ਖੁਆਇਅਨੁ ਦੂਜੈ ਛਡਿਅਨੁ ਲਾਇ ॥
eik aapae aap khuaaeian dhoojai shhaddian laae ||
He Himself has deceived some, and attached them to duality.

Finally when we've had it, Gurujee smiles and says
ਦੋਸੁ ਨਹੀ ਕਾਹੂ ਕਉ ਮੀਤਾ ॥
dhos nehee kaahoo ko meethaa ||
No one is at fault, my friend.

ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹ ਬੰਧੁ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਕੀਤਾ ॥
maaeiaa moh ba(n)dhh prabh keethaa ||
God created the bondage of emotional attachment to Maya.

ਦਰਦ ਨਿਵਾਰਹਿ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਆਪੇ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਤੇ ਤੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਧ੍ਰਾਪੇ ॥34॥
dharadh nivaarehi jaa kae aapae || naanak thae thae guramukh dhhraapae ||34||
He Himself removes the pains of the Gurmukh; O Nanak, he is fulfilled. ||34||

We are powerless, powerless to the exponent of infinity. We are powerless before Maya, powerless before the vikaars, powerless before our minds, powerless before our senses, powerless before false tastes, and its so bad, that the one typing all this (myself) is the most powerless person ever!

So what do I do? What can we do?

This is ALL we can do, just beg, and keep begging.

ਪੰਚ ਬਿਖਾਦੀ ਏਕੁ ਗਰੀਬਾ ਰਾਖਹੁ ਰਾਖਨਹਾਰੇ ॥
pa(n)ch bikhaadhee eaek gareebaa raakhahu raakhanehaarae ||
The five vicious thieves are assaulting my poor being; save me, O Savior Lord!

Once again, I am just blabbing whatever is coming into this filthy head. Please let me know if anything said is incorrect or inappropriate. What a weird battle this is. We can't even call it a battle. What a strange fight is this, where you CANNOT fight. Your only defense mechanism is NOT fighting, rather surrendering to Him.

Do you have a better way out?

~ Mehtab Singh
Feb 12 2009
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login