ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which type of Shaster can be classified as the Kakkar?

Posted by Tejasv 
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Shasters are classified into various categories based on their shapes. A few of the classifications (related to this topic) are as follows:

Golia
Tega
Peach kabach
Khokri
Kirpan
Bagh Nakha
Khanjar

Each of these is basically the same kind of shaster (blade attached to a handle/muTh) with the difference in design (For example, difference in curvature of the blade, thickness etc)

Now, here the shape of the 'Kirpan', mentioned above, is the generally of the shape we usually see for the Taksali Kirpan with/without slight variations.

My question to Gursikhs is whether this 'Kirpan', mentioned above, can only classified as a Kakkar or can the others (lets say a Bagh Nakha) be classified as kakkar also.

Please note that I am, by NO means, saying that singhs/singhnees should not use other shasters mentioned above. I, in-fact, would like to have all of them. All I am asking is whether that ONE shaster/kakkar which we have to ALWAYS have on us (the Kirpan), could that be a Bagh Nakha or maybe a Khanjar and still be classified as a kakkar?

The reason I ask this that the only difference I have seen between all of the above mentioned shasters is the difference in size and shape/design of blade and/or of the handle/muTh. And the differences in usage, which basically arise from the differences in size/shape.
Please pardon me if there are other differences, which I am not able to see and please do let me know of other differences, if any.

But again the main question is whether all/any of these could be classified as The Kakkar?

Reply Quote TweetFacebook
according to daas these are all the same i dont think theres any difference if u carry them as Kakaars Guru Sahib knows better WAHEGOOROO ! WaheGuruJiKaKhalsa ll WaheGuruJiKiFatheh ll
don't most of the historical rehetnamay simply say "karad" (knive or bladed weapon) rather than specifying kirpaan anyway?
Thank you very much for your responses. I would request others also to respond to this post.

Thank you

Tejasv jeeo, I would advise that in order to be on the safe side and to not break our tradition, only a Kirpan be considered a Kakaar and not Khanjar, Khokri etc. All Gurmukhs of all Sampradaas are united on this. Why break this unity by carrying some other kind of weapon and calling it a Kakaar? Only a Kirpaan is a Kakaar.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Kulbir Singh
VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

The stereotypical Kirpan is usually in the shape of a Pesh/Pech Kabz or a Khanjar:

[www.swordsantiqueweapons.com]

Pesh/Pech Kabz - note that if you took the handle material off, it would look shockingly like a "Taksali" Kirpan.

Khanjar - the blade profile is very similar to another variation of what is seen as the Kirpan.

For general guidelines, it would be best to stick to these two as how a Kirpan looks like. If not for any other reason than just to avoid issues with other Gursikhs who, when they see another unusual blade style, will say that what you are wearing is not a Kirpan, these two Shaster types should remain as a "safe" bet for a "Kirpan".

There is, of course, the matter of blade material, which some insist should be Sarbloh - fully iron. I would appreciate anyone who has a relevant Hukamnama that outlines this to post it (as the only Hukamnama regarding Sarbloh that was ever provided was about a Sarbloh Kara and Sarbloh utensils etc. Unless the Kirpan is to be categorized as a utensil for the purposes of Kirpan Bheta of Langar/Karah Parshad). Pure iron is not suitable for making weapons compared to carbon steel, which is *almost* all iron with a few other additions - carbon and a few other elements, depending on the type of carbon steel being made - to ensure its edge retention and toughness - suitablity for Shastars.

As an addition to the above - it has been mentioned in some online discussions that when iron was created back in the day, some coal (aka. carbon) would still leach into the iron and, though as pure as an iron as could be created, would still be to some extent a carbon steel because of the carbon content. This may have still allowed the "pure iron" (which still had some carbon content and behaved more like a steel) to be used as weaponry. So I am working on the assumption that what we see as Sarbloh - "pure iron" was a low carbon content carbon steel with the vast majority of the present metal being iron and retained its toughness, edge retention properties if the Shastar was created with skill.

Not a metallurgist, just piecing together information. Anyone with more insight - please provide it.
Where is the best place to get a Damascus Sri Sahib?

Don't know if anyone makes the real stuff. Damascus steel is an ancient method of making steel that was lost and was recently re-discovered.

More information:

[www.okknives.com]

There are things that look like a Sri Sahib (Pech/Pesh Kabz or Khanjar style blades) that look like Damascus steel, but are actually something called pattern welded steel, which is a hammering of different types of steel together to create a Damascus like pattern, which is purely cosmetic and not true Damascus.

Given the above, true Damascus blades are EXPENSIVE (high hundreds to thousands ). Damascus has a mystique and intrigue behind it, but other carbon steels are very much tough enough to do any sort of combat work. Hunting knives (stuff used to tear the flesh of animals, so should do the job if it was ever necessary to defend yourself) can be made in a variety of steels and are much cheaper than Damascus. Even the pattern welded stuff, if made currectly, can be quite tough and be a usable Shastar.

You can look at some Puratan Shastars and pricing here:

[www.akaalarms.com]
[www.oriental-arms.co.il]

Modern Damascus: If you REALLY wanted to get a genuine Damascus steel Sri Sahib, you might have to obtain a billet of Damascus from a genuine maker of Damascus steel, send it to a knifemaker with a blueprint/pictures/model/even representative blade to copy off of and make for you what you want. But...uh...you may have to apply for a bank loan first.

Otherwise, you can get in contact with a bladesmith and have them made to your specifications. I know that KhalsaKirpans (Jot Singh Khalsa) is making factory production Kirpans and he is a reputable knifemaker. But they are not cheap ($200+). Not that quality Indian smiths will be cheaper...check out the prices on www.nihangsingh.com for another shock.
Wow, those are some outrageous prices! I might have to sell a kidney to afford one of those kirpans perhaps Im better off buying a Sri Sahib at the next mundee, lol.

I wanted to try Damascus because I heard many good things about this type of blade. Thanks for providing those links Bhai Sahib
sandeep singh (rajput singh, not sikh singh smiling smiley ) makes excellent quality "modern" damascus shastars with beautiful traditional koftgari work. i have one of his khanjars and it's simply gorgeous. his prices are quite reasonable too. i'd definitely recommend his work.

[stores.ebay.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login