ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gurmat way of taking Hukamnama

Posted by Tejasv 
Gurmat way of taking Hukamnama
July 23, 2010 12:11AM
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

The maryada which I have heard and seen being followed by majority of Gursikhs is that Hukamnama is always the first Shahab on the left ang. That is fine but the dubidha comes in the following way, as mentioned below, which I would like to get cleared;

When the first pankiti or a part of the first pankiti is from a shabad which is continuing from the previous ang then that shabad is considered the Hukamnama. This is what I always thought to be the maryada. But today a Gursikh was taking the hukamnama and the previous shabad (from the previous ang) filled only half or even less than that of the first line, And the new shabad continued from the second half of the first line. So he took hukamnama from the shabad starting on the second half of the first line of this ang (To be more precise, this was Ang 740)

Now my first humble question is whether this is correct? Why or Why not? And if someone could put clarity on this?

Also, I got into even more dubidha about the correct hukamnama (according to maryada) when we talk about Ang 730. Here in the very beginning of the ang there are ending pauri numbers for the previous shabad on the previous ang and then the new shabad starts. So in this case, which would be the correct hukanmana and why?

Could someone please help me with this?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Tejasv jeeo,

When the first pankiti or a part of the first pankiti is from a shabad which is continuing from the previous ang then that shabad is considered the Hukamnama. This is what I always thought to be the maryada. But today a Gursikh was taking the hukamnama and the previous shabad (from the previous ang) filled only half or even less than that of the first line, And the new shabad continued from the second half of the first line. So he took hukamnama from the shabad starting on the second half of the first line of this ang (To be more precise, this was Ang 740)

The Hukamnama Sahib still should be the first Shabad continuing from the previous Ang and ending on the first line of Ang 740. The rule is that the Hukamnama Sahib is the first Shabad on the top left, even if it is continuing from the previous Ang.

Also, I got into even more dubidha about the correct hukamnama (according to maryada) when we talk about Ang 730. Here in the very beginning of the ang there are ending pauri numbers for the previous shabad on the previous ang and then the new shabad starts. So in this case, which would be the correct hukanmana and why?

In this case, we always take the Hukamnama Sahib that is on Ang 730. Even though the numbering of the previous Shabad continues to Ang 730, the Shabad itself does end on Ang 729. For this reason, we have been always taking the Hukamnama Sahib on Ang 730 which is as follows:

ਸੂਹੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥ ਭਾਂਡਾ ਹਛਾ ਸੋਇ ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵਸੀ ॥ ਭਾਂਡਾ ਅਤਿ ਮਲੀਣੁ ਧੋਤਾ ਹਛਾ ਨ ਹੋਇਸੀ ॥ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੁਆਰੈ ਹੋਇ ਸੋਝੀ ਪਾਇਸੀ ॥ ਏਤੁ ਦੁਆਰੈ ਧੋਇ ਹਛਾ ਹੋਇਸੀ ॥ ਮੈਲੇ ਹਛੇ ਕਾ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ਆਪਿ ਵਰਤਾਇਸੀ ॥ ਮਤੁ ਕੋ ਜਾਣੈ ਜਾਇ ਅਗੈ ਪਾਇਸੀ ॥ ਜੇਹੇ ਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਇ ਤੇਹਾ ਹੋਇਸੀ ॥ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਉ ਆਪਿ ਵਰਤਾਇਸੀ ॥ ਚਲਿਆ ਪਤਿ ਸਿਉ ਜਨਮੁ ਸਵਾਰਿ ਵਾਜਾ ਵਾਇਸੀ ॥ ਮਾਣਸੁ ਕਿਆ ਵੇਚਾਰਾ ਤਿਹੁ ਲੋਕ ਸੁਣਾਇਸੀ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਆਪਿ ਨਿਹਾਲ ਸਭਿ ਕੁਲ ਤਾਰਸੀ ॥੧॥੪॥੬॥

Guru Sahib knows better.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Bhai Kulbir Singh Jio,

Waheguru Ji ka khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki fateh

ਮਤੁ ਕੋ ਜਾਣੈ, ਜਾਇ ਅਗੈ ਪਾਇਸੀ ॥

It that Jamki right?

With Regards,
Daas

ਮਤੁ ਕੋ ਜਾਣੈ, ਜਾਇ ਅਗੈ ਪਾਇਸੀ ॥
It that Jamki right?

Haanji Bhai Sahib jeeo, it seems correct. The word ਜਾਇ here and at many other places in Gurbani is a Farsi word and means ਥਾਇ i.e. place, ਜਗ੍ਹਾ.

Gurbani is Agam Agaadh Bodh.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh
Thanks jio,

Do you think it will be a good thing that when ever we post a Shabad in any post we can put with needed jamki, bishraam and special ucharan/meaning of any word required like in above case the Jaiay word was actualy farsi word. Then later after sangat's reading and final vichaar that can be posted under any sub section of "Santhya" page for future references. May be if Guru Sahib wished once the hundreds of shabads are accumulated then if possible a search engine can be implemented similar to sttm to find shabad of interest from the data base of these random shabads?

What's admin's thought.

With Regards,
Daas
This is great suggestion Bhai Jasjit Singh jeeo. Hopefully, more Gurbani Vichaar can be done on this site.

Admin.
What happens if you get a hukamnama that is in the middle of a patt of some sort...for instance sidh gosht...or sukhmani sahib

What happens if you get a hukamnama that is in the middle of a patt of some sort...for instance sidh gosht...or sukhmani sahib

If there is a Hukamnama from Siri Sukhmani Sahib (which is quite unlikely to get), the whole Ashtpadi and the adjoining Salok should be read.

If the Hukamnama Sahib is from Siri Bawan Akhri, then the Salok and the Pauri is read.

If the Hukamnama Sahib is from Siri Anand Sahib or Siri Oankaar, only the Pauri is read.

If the Hukamnama Sahib is from Sidh Gosht, then normally the Pauri is read but if the Pauri is the answer-giving Pauri, then the previous Pauri containing the questions too should be read. And if the Hukamnama Pauri is the question-giving Pauri, then the next Pauri containing the answer too should be read. As an example, On Ang 940, the Hukamnama Pauri is Pauri # 19 and is as follows:

ਕਿਤੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਪੁਰਖਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਵਟਾਇਆ ॥ ਕਾਹੇ ਕਉ ਤੁਝੁ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਲਾਇਆ ॥ ਕਿਤੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਆਸਾ ਮਨਸਾ ਖਾਈ ॥ ਕਿਤੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ ਪਾਈ ॥ ਬਿਨੁ ਦੰਤਾ ਕਿਉ ਖਾਈਐ ਸਾਰੁ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਚਾ ਕਰਹੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥੧੯॥

The preceding Pauri only contains the questions and the answers lie in the next Pauri. So the next Pauri i.e. Pauri #20 should too be read as Hukamnama Sahib. The next Pauri is as follows:

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਜਨਮੇ ਗਵਨੁ ਮਿਟਾਇਆ ॥ ਅਨਹਤਿ ਰਾਤੇ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਲਾਇਆ ॥ ਮਨਸਾ ਆਸਾ ਸਬਦਿ ਜਲਾਈ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ ਪਾਈ ॥ ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਮੇਟੇ ਖਾਈਐ ਸਾਰੁ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਾਰੇ ਤਾਰਣਹਾਰੁ ॥੨੦॥

Same concept as aforementioned is applied throughout the 9 angs of Siri Sidh Gosht.

Guru Sahib knows better.

Daas,
Kulbir Singh

If the Hukamnama Sahib is from Siri Bawan Akhri, then the Salok and the Pauri is read.

If the Hukamnama Sahib is from Siri Anand Sahib or Siri Oankaar, only the Pauri is read.

If the Hukamnama Sahib is from Sidh Gosht, then normally the Pauri is read but if the Pauri is the answer-giving Pauri, then the previous Pauri containing the questions too should be read. And if the Hukamnama Pauri is the question-giving Pauri, then the next Pauri containing the answer too should be read.

i had never heard this before. all this time i thought we were just supposed to read the entire bani. the first time i ever read sidh gosht was because it came as hukamnama. smiling smiley

oh well, a little extra paath never hurt anyone i guess. smiling smiley
Surely Bhain jeeo, there is no harm in doing more Paath. Sidh Gosht is an amazing Gurbani that contains many spiritual secrets.

Kulbir Singh
Bhai Sahib Jee, time allowing, if possible please would you be able to compile the above into a comprehensive article in how to take a Hukamnama Sahib? I tried to look for what Baba Harnaam Singh Jee mentioned in their book here but I couldn't find it.

Maybe the section has not been put online from the hardcopy book. I think it mentioned that Sri Baba Buddha Jee gave them darshan and explained in detail how to take Hukamana Sahib, I will try and post up that section from the hardcopy book.
The mentioned chapter from the book on Sant Baba Harnam Singh Ji's jeevan can be found in the following link on page 363, chapter 77
[www.vidhia.com]
If the Hukamnama Sahib is from Sidh Gosht, then normally the Pauri is read but if the Pauri is the answer-giving Pauri, then the previous Pauri containing the questions too should be read. And if the Hukamnama Pauri is the question-giving Pauri, then the next Pauri containing the answer too should be read.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

Couple of months ago there was small discussion on Hukamnama among us and while discussing Bhai Amolak Singh jee Australia shared an interesting incident of Bhai Sahib Joginder Singh Jee Talwara. A meeting was set to take place by SGPC related to an issue of a Gurudwara. Talwara jee was also called to participate in this meeting. As every one knows Gurudwara politics meetings never end they consume hours and hours or precious time so generally Gursikhs avoid going to such meetings. Any way before this meeting Ardaas was performed before Guru Sahib and after Ardass Talwara Jee was asked to recite the Hukamnama. Guess what! Hukamnama was of Sidh Goshat exactly related to the situation. Now if it was some one else he/she would have read it partially but Talwara jee read the full Hukamnama (whole Sidh Goshat). You can imagine the scene how general public will be feeling when it takes plenty of time to read Hukamnama than generally practiced. Kala of the Hukamnama bestowed. The followed meeting which suppose to be for longer hours or never ending finished within 10mins. Every one was very happy and surprised with the outcome of the meeting. This incident gave these lessons:
1) Guru Sahib listens to our Ardaas if we do it from heart.
2) Guru Sahib bestows there grace once Ardaas is heard.
3) While reading Hukamnama we should not Skip/leave the part of it just because it is longer and people might get up and leave or feel uncomfortable with the time taken to read. In other words we take Hukamnama to hear the Elaahi words of Guru Sahib and one should avoid taking the suited Hukamnama for purpose of pleasing some individuals.

With Regards,
Daas
JASJIT SINGH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
>
>
> Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh
>
> Couple of months ago there was small discussion on
> Hukamnama among us and while discussing Bhai
> Amolak Singh jee Australia shared an interesting
> incident of Bhai Sahib Joginder Singh Jee Talwara.
> A meeting was set to take place by SGPC related to
> an issue of a Gurudwara. Talwara jee was also
> called to participate in this meeting. As every
> one knows Gurudwara politics meetings never end
> they consume hours and hours or precious time so
> generally Gursikhs avoid going to such meetings.
> Any way before this meeting Ardaas was performed
> before Guru Sahib and after Ardass Talwara Jee was
> asked to recite the Hukamnama. Guess what!
> Hukamnama was of Sidh Goshat exactly related to
> the situation. Now if it was some one else he/she
> would have read it partially but Talwara jee read
> the full Hukamnama (whole Sidh Goshat). You can
> imagine the scene how general public will be
> feeling when it takes plenty of time to read
> Hukamnama than generally practiced. Kala of the
> Hukamnama bestowed. The followed meeting which
> suppose to be for longer hours or never ending
> finished within 10mins. Every one was very happy
> and surprised with the outcome of the meeting.
> This incident gave these lessons:
> 1) Guru Sahib listens to our Ardaas if we do it
> from heart.
> 2) Guru Sahib bestows there grace once Ardaas is
> heard.
> 3) While reading Hukamnama we should not
> Skip/leave the part of it just because it is
> longer and people might get up and leave or feel
> uncomfortable with the time taken to read. In
> other words we take Hukamnama to hear the Elaahi
> words of Guru Sahib and one should avoid taking
> the suited Hukamnama for purpose of pleasing some
> individuals.
>
> With Regards,
> Daas

I agree with you, Bhai Sahib! However as an almost layman person in things spiritual, I have observed one thing that the sangat definately starts getting restless and loses concentration when the Hukamnama is taken VERY VERY slowly. I can personally vouch for this, and have got a similar feedback from various people.

Sachhe Patshah baksh lein if I have said something wrong!

Dass,
-JP
HOW TO TAKE THE HUKAMNAMA FROM SRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI (from Se Kinehiya book p.360 2007 Edition)

Many a time it is seen that when people have a recital of the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the granthi Singh opens the scriptures deliberately at a elected verse that will suit the event or please the devotees. They have usually already opened the appropriate angs and placed the rumala over the Guru Ji’s form. After Ardas, they merely read a pre-selected erse that will please the devotees but in fact is not really the order of he great Guru himself. Some devotees take a handful of scriptures rom the left and right side and then reopen the angs wherever and read he verse in front of their eyes. Some devotees read the verse from the left page if it is before noon or the right page if in the afternoon. In fact, different people have adopted different ways of reading the Guru Ji’s order. Divine Visitation By Baba Buddha Ji. The sangat once asked Baba Ji about the above-mentioned matter f how to correctly read the holy order of the day and what in fact is the ge-old tradition of doing so. He told the sangat the way he normally takes the hukamnama as per the Guru’s tradition (Guru maryada) and hen asked the sangat to congregate in front of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and ask for the Guru’s seal of approval too.

All stood with folded hands and performed Ardas, ”O Lord of the poor, please tell us the correct way to take the hukamnama.” After doing Ardas, all the congregation nd Baba Ji sat down. All were reciting simran in a peaceful, concentrated state of mind when Baba Buddha Ji appeared in front of Baba Ji. Baba Buddha Ji was sat behind the Manji Sahib where the priest usually sits. He spoke, The day when Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji enthroned Sri Guru Granth Sahib i at Harmandir Sahib, Amritsar, I was given special guidance in taking he hukamnama. This is the correct way to take the hukamnama.” Baba Buddha Ji explained further,

”It is against the tradition to take the hukam from wherever we like or be mind full of the time day or when devotees grab hold of angs from the left and right to open up the page again. This does not attract the Guru’s happiness. After performing Ardas and before taking the hukamnama, one should recitethe Mool mantar five times or recite the four manglacharan [The mangalcharan are listed in the footnote of the book as: 1. Ik Oankaar Sat Naam Karta Purkh Nirbhau Nirvair AkaalMoorat Ajun Saibhang Gurprasaad 2. Ik Oankaar SatGur Prasaad 3. Ik Oankaar Sat Naam. This is bit confusing because this counts only 3, and there is more forms of manglacharan than the ones listed] Then, the verses related to the vision of the Guru are read as we fold and remove the rumala. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the embodiment of the great Guru so no doubt should arise regarding the time of the day etc. Reading the verses of devotion, one should turn a handful of page to the left or right without deliberation. The verse that starts at the left page is the Guru’s true hukamnama. If the verse starts from the previous page then follow it over by turning the page over to the right. If the verse is a Salok, a Pauri will often follow it and this should be read as well. In this way the true hukamnama is read and the great Guru’s affection is earned.”

Baba Ji was very pleased because he used to take the hukamnama like this already. Now the great Guru had put his seal of approval on it. The assembled congregation was told of how to take the daily hukamnama. All his life Baba Ji counselled others to take the hukamnama in the same manner and thus obtain the Guru’s pleasure. Some devotees when reading path from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji rest their elbows on the manji Sahib. This is disrespectful and should not be done. It is also disrespectful to scratch your eyes, ears or body and then soil the scriptures by touching them. A hazooria can be used for this, if required. So, we must pay utmost respect and act with great care and reverence when conducting ourselves in the presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. The more we respect the form of the great Guru the better. If we disrespect Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, it is to our disadvantage and we will suffer the consequences. We must show respect for our ultimate benefit and not as a favour to the Guru.

Thanks to Theguptone jee for providing link.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login