ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pujaree or Granthi Singh

Posted by MB Singh 
Pujaree or Granthi Singh
January 15, 2010 10:06AM
Waheguru Ji

I would like to know, the views of Sangat, here ; on using the word Pujaree for Granthi Singhs all over. Do we not disown the system itself by using the word Pujaree Class for Granthi Singhs ? Many a times, we read this word in newspapers etc., where it is used to show disregard for them.
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: Pujaree or Granthi Singh
January 15, 2010 10:47AM
Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Veer Ji,

Daas agrees with you on using word Pujari for Granthi Singhs but the way we treat Granthi Singhs these days is none less then a Pujari of some Hindu temple.

1) We approach Granthi Singh to do Ardas for the new car, factories and even Liquor stores
2) Guru Nanak Sahib took us away from empty rituals but we are still engaging ourselves in these empty rituals.
3) People will clean clothes/matha teks Granthis and increase their egos to a level that they start considering themselves Sants
4) Without doing Nindaya, Daas know few Gurdwara Granthis who wear caps when they are not in Gurdwaras or working for Gas stations during week days..
5) Daas has also seen Granthis singing Punjabi Boliyan and doing Bhangra in punjabi cultural festivals.

The problem is not with these Granthis. The problem is our inability to do Shabad Gurbani Kirtan/Vichar/Paath and our inability to take time out from our busy life style.

My question is why we need Granthis? Why can't Sangat take care of Gurdwara Sahiib.

Even if we need a permanent care taker of the Gurdwara Sahib, Management of Gurdwara Sahib should select a person based on the Gurmat Knowledge and not just that he/she is from India and has worked as a Kirtaniya in so and so Gurdwara.

Daas personally knows some youngsters in India who wants to become Granthi as this is a fastest route to come to US/England.

Bhul Chuk Di Khima
Gurfateh Jio!
January 15, 2010 11:20AM
"Not Maha Pappi" Veer Ji; u have shown me the picture of Pujarees of your area. I never thought of such people; while framing my question. Surely, we can call them Pujarees.---------------------But it never serves the purpose. We always need whole time Sewadars of Correct Standards. And if we need them; we can not call them like that.
January 15, 2010 02:50PM
pujari sounds hindu. granthi is honorable but now this title is also taking a beating. granthis have a pretty bad reputation now.
January 16, 2010 09:15AM
I agree with Bhai MB Singh jee. The word Pujari has become a derogatory word now and is used for Granthis when talking negatively about them. I am not sure if the historical word is Pujari or Granthi but it seems that the word Sewadar is best instead of Granthis or Pujaris.

Having said that, the points that Veer "Not Mahapapi" jee has raised are also true. The Granthis today are no different from the Pujaris of Hindu temples. This profession was supposed to be of serving selflessly but it has become a business today. This has severely affected the maryada Gurdwara Sahibaan. The first Granthi Sahib of Siri Harmandir Sahib was Baba Buddha jee and later on great Gurmukhs like Bhai Sahib Mani Singh jee, Bhai Sahib Chanchal Singh sat on this position but it has been downhill since then. Today the jathedars and granthis don't enjoy the same respect as their predecessors did.

Maharaj Bhali Karan.

Kulbir Singh
Is there a historical chronology of all the Granthis and Jathedars of SrI Harmandir Sahib and Sri Akal Takht.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login