ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

darshan - what and how

Posted by Mehtab Singh 
darshan - what and how
January 10, 2010 05:56PM
VaahegurooJeeKaaKhalsaaVaahegurooJeeKeeFatehhhhh!!!!!

Please define what exactly it means by getting "darshan of Gurujee" or "darshan of Vaheguru". Is it partakh darshan of one of the Guru Sahibaan, or seeing prakash of "VAHEGURU" shabad within ourself?

The next question is how does one get this. Gurbani states many means throughout, but my question is mainly aimed at the jeevans of the Gurmukh piyaare who were fortunate and blessed to have this darshan. Some suggest to do such-and-such paath for a particular number of times for a certain number of days.

dhanvaad

VaahegurooJeeKaaKhalsaaVaahegurooJeeKeeFatehhhhh!!!!!

- Mehtab Singh
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
Re: darshan - what and how
January 10, 2010 09:42PM
veerji, i'm no gurmukh, but i have some ideas about this...

i think it's different for everyone. i have met western sikhs who had darshan of guru sahib before they even became sikhs! i'm sure it has a lot to do with baghti they've done in past lives. some people have done so much baghti, they only came back here for naam. so guru sahib reveals himself to show them the path.

for others it takes a lifetime. baba fareed ji in his bani begs for waheguru's darshan at the end of his life. bhai sahib rama singh ji says he did simran every day for hours, for many (25 i think, not positive) years before he felt the spark of naam in his heart.

there's so much more to it than doing certain paath for a certain number of days... do ardaas. do as much paath as possible. do as much seva as possible. do as much simran as possible. it's hard work, but then, that's sikhi. when it's time, if it's time, guru sahib will reveal himself. ultimately, it's not up to us, it's up to guru sahib.
January 11, 2010 07:46AM
Veer Mehtab Singh jeeo,

Very good topic but quite difficult as well.

Please define what exactly it means by getting "darshan of Gurujee" or "darshan of Vaheguru". Is it partakh darshan of one of the Guru Sahibaan, or seeing prakash of "VAHEGURU" shabad within ourself?

Reading and hearing the experiences of different Gurmukhs, it seems like both kind of darshans you have mentioned above occur. You have not mentioned one more kind of darshan - Dream Darshan. In most early stages of spirituality, dream darshans occur to the seeker of Guru Sahib. In Gurbani it is said that even the dream Darshan of the beloved one are a blessing:

ਸੁਤੜੀ ਸੋ ਸਹੁ ਡਿਠੁ ਤੈ ਸੁਪਨੇ ਹਉ ਖੰਨੀਐ ॥2॥
(In sleep, I saw my Husband Lord; I am a sacrifice to that dream. ||2||)

ਸੁਪਨੈ ਊਭੀ ਭਈ ਗਹਿਓ ਕੀ ਨ ਅੰਚਲਾ ॥ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਪੁਰਖ ਬਿਰਾਜਿਤ ਪੇਖਿ ਮਨੁ ਬੰਚਲਾ ॥
(In dream I saw him and I got up but why did I not grab his robe. Beholding the beautiful beloved my mind was stupefied.)

In early stages the Partakh darshan or darshan that can be viewed with these mortal eyes occur and this would constitute Sargun Darshan. In high states of spirituality, Nirgun Darshan i.e. the Jyot-Vigaasi Darshan occurs i.e. darshan of the jyot of Vaheguru, the form of Vaheguru or Guru Sahib as it is in Sach Khand.

Sach Khand is not a place made of 5 elements and therefore our eyes that are made of 5 elements cannot have this darshan. The jeev gets this darshan through Dasam Duaar. Dasam Duaar is like having remote access to Sach Khand while being away from it (here in this world). So long as the seeker is in this world and body, the darshan occur through Dasam Duaar and when the seeker leaves this body, he (or she) goes to reside in Sach Khand. Of course, some Gursikhs are capable of leaving their body and entering Sach Khand at will as is evident from the following pankiti:

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ਨਿਸੰਗੁ ॥
(The Gurmukh comes and goes (in any spiritual realm) without fear).

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee has written that the true seekers of Vaheguru never ask for Sargun Darshan, even though such darshan is a great blessing. Once Bhai Sahib, who was always residing in the Nirgun Darshan of Jyot of Vaheguru, wished that may he get that darshan of Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee, that he gave to the Sangat while he was in human form. Immediately Bhai Sahib’s Jyot Darshan avastha was lost and he got darshan he wished for. Bhai Sahib writes that at first he was in great ecstasy but soon the Darshan of Siri Kalgidhar jee became Chaturbhuji. At this Bhai Sahib cried out in pain and said that he does not want this darshan. In response to his cries, the response from Vaheguru was that this was his punishment for seeking lower darshan after being the candidate of Divya-Lateefi, Jyot Vigaasi, Nirguni Darshan of Vaheguru. Bhai Sahib realized his mistake and once again he got merged in the Nirguni Darshan.

Bhai Rama Singh has written that even before he had taken Amrit he had darshan of Siri Guru Gobind Singh jee who instructed him to get amrit as soon as possible and take amrit only from that samagam where Keski is given as a Kakaar. There are many such examples of Gurmukhs who had such partakh darshan of Guru Sahibaan.

There are visions of Siri Guru jee in dreams in the early stages of spirituality and the way to figure out if the dream is one’s imagination or truly Guru jee’s blessing is to see if one’s Naam Abhyaas goes on automatically. The nishaani or the sign of true dream darshan of Siri Guru jee in the dream is that one’s swaas-giraasi Naam Abhyaas goes on in full force. This is what happened to Bhai Rama Singh jee as well.

The next darshan after dream darshan is to get darshan of Siri Guru jee that can be viewed with these eyes. Many Gurmukhs have written about these darshans. The ultimate darshan is to get darshan of Sach Khandi form of Guru jee i.e. form of Guru jee in Sach Khand.

The way to darshan is as Gurbani says, day night Gurbani Paath and Naam Abhyaas along with full rehit. What else can a mortal being say? We just have to listen to Gurbani and obey the hukams of Gurbani.

Humbly,
Kulbir Singh
January 11, 2010 02:09PM
i guess just keeping naam jap and wait for patiently. darshan are going to happen when guru ji is pleased. let's please guru ji by naam jap.
January 11, 2010 03:30PM
When Bhai Desa Singh Ji got Darshan of Guru Sahib was it in a dream?
January 11, 2010 07:35PM
who was Bhai Desa Singh ji and when did he get darshan? please write more details.
January 11, 2010 08:27PM
Bhai Desa SIngh Ji was a blessed Gurmukh. He was the great grandson/grandson (?) of Shaheed BHai Mani SIngh JI. One day Bhai Desa Singh Ji was blessed with the darshan of Dasmi Paatshah and Guru Ji told him the order of Banis contained in Sri Dasam Granth. This is written in his rehatnamas which can be available in Professor Pyaarey SIngh Padam. There are also a few of his rehatnamas on sikhitothemax.com

Here is a beautiful rehatnama by Bhai Sahib

ਗੁਰੂ ਸਰੂਪ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਹਈਏ ॥ ਜਿਨ ਕੀ ਟਹਿਲ ਪਰਮਸੁਖ ਲਹੀਏ ॥22॥
guroo saroop khaalasaa heeeae || jin kee ttehil paramasukh leheeeae ||22||
The Khalsa is the image of the Guru. Serving them, eternal peace is obtained.

Rehatnama Bhai Desa Singh
January 12, 2010 06:42AM
Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Darshan

ਜਾਪੁ ਸਾਹਿਬ
JAPU SAHIB

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
The Lord is One and He can be attained through the grace of the true Guru.

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹ ॥
The Lord is One and the victory is of the Lord.

ਜਾਪੁ ॥
NAME OF THE BANI.

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖਵਾਕ ਪਾਤਿਸਾਹੀ ੧੦ ॥
The sacred utterance of The Tenth Sovereign:

ਛਪੈ ਛੰਦ ॥ ਤ੍ਵਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
CHHAPAI STANZA. BY THY GRACE

ਚੱਕ੍ਰ ਚਿਹਨ ਅਰੁ ਬਰਨ ਜਾਤਿ ਅਰੁ ਪਾਤਿ ਨਹਿਨ ਜਿਹ ॥
He who is without mark or sign, He who is without caste or line.

ਰੂਪ ਰੰਗ ਅਰੁ ਰੇਖ ਭੇਖ ਕੋਊ ਕਹਿ ਨ ਸਕਤਿ ਕਿਹ ॥
He who is without colour or form, and without any distinctive norm.

ਅਚਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਨਭਉ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸ ਅਮਿਤੋਜਿ ਕਹਿਜੈ ॥
He who is without limit and motion, All effulgence, non-descript Ocean.

ਕੋਟਿ ਇੰਦ੍ਰ ਇੰਦ੍ਰਾਣਿ ਸਾਹੁ ਸਾਹਾਣਿ ਗਣਿਜੈ ॥
The Lord of millions of Indras and kings, the Master of all worlds and beings.

ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਮਹੀਪ ਸੁਰ ਨਰ ਅਸੁਰ ਨੇਤਿ ਨੇਤਿ ਬਨ ਤ੍ਰਿਣ ਕਹਤ ॥
Each twig of the foliage proclaims: "Not this Thou art.

ਤ੍ਵ ਸਰਬ ਨਾਮ ਕਥੈ ਕਵਨ ਕਰਮ ਨਾਮ ਬਰਣਤ ਸੁਮਤਿ ॥੧॥
All Thy Names cannot be told. One doth impart Thy Action-Name with benign heart.1.

Source: [www.sridasam.org]

Dasam Duar - 10th gate

ਮੰਨੈ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਮੋਖੁ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥
The faithful find the Door of Liberation.

Source: [www.srigranth.org]

How to acheive

ਸਾਚਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਾਚੁ ਨਾਇ ਭਾਖਿਆ ਭਾਉ ਅਪਾਰੁ ॥ ਆਖਹਿ ਮੰਗਹਿ ਦੇਹਿ ਦੇਹਿ ਦਾਤਿ ਕਰੇ ਦਾਤਾਰੁ ॥
True is the Master, True is His Name-speak it with infinite love. People beg and pray, "Give to us, give to us", and the Great Giver gives His Gifts.

ਫੇਰਿ ਕਿ ਅਗੈ ਰਖੀਐ ਜਿਤੁ ਦਿਸੈ ਦਰਬਾਰੁ ॥ ਮੁਹੌ ਕਿ ਬੋਲਣੁ ਬੋਲੀਐ ਜਿਤੁ ਸੁਣਿ ਧਰੇ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥
So what offering can we place before Him, by which we might see the Darbaar of His Court? What words can we speak to evoke His Love?

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਉ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ ਕਰਮੀ ਆਵੈ ਕਪੜਾ ਨਦਰੀ ਮੋਖੁ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਏਵੈ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਸਭੁ ਆਪੇ ਸਚਿਆਰੁ ॥੪॥
In the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours before dawn, chant the True Name, and contemplate His Glorious Greatness. By the karma of past actions, the robe of this physical body is obtained. By His Grace, the Gate of Liberation is found. O Nanak, know this well: the True One Himself is All. ||4||

Source: [www.srigranth.org]

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
January 12, 2010 10:41AM
Heard a gursikh once saying this about Darshan,

"When he comes, he comes to never go away again"

Chota veer
January 12, 2010 12:11PM
Bhagauti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> who was Bhai Desa Singh ji and when did he get
> darshan? please write more details.

I remeber now Bhai Desa Singh Ji did meet Guru Ji in his dream. Guru Ji narrated him the orders of Banis in Sri Dasam Granth. He mentions first Jaap then AKal Ustat. Guru Ji also states any fool who reads this granth will be blessed with Wisdom. No wonder those people who question Guru Jis bani are the biggest fools.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login