ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Path/Simran by contemplation or ordinary Jap

Posted by jpsingh77 
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I recently came across a post that discussed the merits of doing path in slow speed vs fast. However one point which didn't get discussed, and which has often confused me over the years is:

How would you compare the 'mahatam' of doing 10 malas of say, Mool Mantra, done in a normal way vis-a-vis 1 mala done in a contemplating way (i.e. thinking about the meaning of each word of Mool Mantra). In case of latter, I guess speed would be 5-10 times slower than normal, but isn't it better and more 'laha'?

But if you also think it's latter, then there is no way an ordinary person (I'm not talking about Mahapurushs) can do a lot number of malas, say 25 or 50 (or 25 Jap Ji Sahib paths for that matter).

I would appreciate if anyone can throw some light on it. If you can quote some Gurbani lines, that would be even better.

Many thanks in advance!

Dass,
-JP
Reply Quote TweetFacebook

But if you also think it's latter, then there is no way an ordinary person (I'm not talking about Mahapurushs) can do a lot number of malas, say 25 or 50 (or 25 Jap Ji Sahib paths for that matter).

With time and with Abhyaas, the Surthee becomes very Balvaan (strong) and can not only do Paath fast but also understand it more deeply, in much less time. The key is to keep doing Paath and spending more time on Paath. Over time, Surthee becomes efficient and can then do more Paath with understanding, in less time.

Kulbir Singh
bhai rama singh jee says do 10,000 mool mantras per year. that's only 27 a day, so fast or slow, however you feel best, just do it. smiling smiley

i do very slow paath, because i read it in gurmukhi, then english, then cross-reference the words i don't know in dictionary or mahan kosh. it seems to work ok for me. smiling smiley just do it however you feel you gain the most. either way, if you do it with love, guru sahib will do kirpa and you will begin to do it faster with full understanding.

i'm still waiting for that time! smiling smiley
This puts in a mind a instance from Baba Harnam Singh's life. Somebody came to Baba Ji and asked told him that he reads so much patth but has never got Darshan of Guru Sahib. Baba Ji then told him he'd do ardas and ask directly Guru Sahib directly (I think it was Guru Gobind Singh but im not sure) what he should do. Guru Sahib gave darshan to Baba Ji and he told him that the Singh doesn't need to read so much bani to receive his darshan, but rather do less but with 100% focus. When this Singh had been doing bani he wasen't listening to himself, and Guru Sahib told Baba Ji that if you don't listen to yourself while doing bani, the bani does not reach Guru Sahib.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login