ਸਤਿਗੁਰਬਚਨਕਮਾਵਣੇਸਚਾਏਹੁਵੀਚਾਰੁ॥
Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Being in a position with no sangat

Posted by MaiKoNaRakhanda 
Fateh ji!

daas is just wondering what the cyber sangat's view is as to why a sikh may not have alot of sangat? I don't mean about sangat in keertan and path etc. guru sahib is extremely merciful, however to have sangat to mix with, i.e. to keep a check on each other and encourage each other to follow Gursikhi. Of course we only need Guru Sahib but maharaj did create sangat as a way for him to work through. Or is it that the only sangat we are supposed to want/need is the sangat formed when listening to kirtan/at the gurdwara? Maharaj has blessed daas with alot and I even feel bad writing this post, however sometimes I see people who may be have a lot of gursikhs of their age (ie. facing same problems and having the same ideas) around them, or if not they may be blessed with a sibling of a similar age with similar views on sikhi... some people may not have either. What to do in such a situation? And how do we answer the question as to why this is the case?
Reply Quote TweetFacebook
About importance of Sangat, you might want to read the following post:

[gurmatbibek.com]

I don't mean about sangat in keertan and path etc. guru sahib is extremely merciful, however to have sangat to mix with, i.e. to keep a check on each other and encourage each other to follow Gursikhi. Of course we only need Guru Sahib but maharaj did create sangat as a way for him to work through.

Foremost thing to do is Ardaas for Sangat of Gurmukhs. If we do our daily Ardaas with concentration, that too would be sufficient because in the end we do ask for Sangat of Gurmukhs who remember Naam. If there is no Gursikh in your area, then perhaps you can take advantage of advanced technology and do Sangat of Gursikhs via email or Gurmat forums like this one.

Maharaj Kirpa Karan.

Kulbir Singh
my singh and i have had a similar problem of lack of gursikh sangat where we live. actually there is a lack of sikhs at all... we have connected with sangat through electronic means and telephone. we attend samagams on a regular basis to "charge our batteries". and we did ardaas.

now we're blessed to be moving to a new place with a lot of gursikh sangat. so do ardaas, waheguru will listen, he knows our needs.
Post has been Deleted at the request of the user - Chatrik jee.

Admin.

Chota veer
We should all who are facing this scarcity of Gurmukh sangat relocate to one place and establish a new Sangat smiling bouncing smiley
Veer Chatrik Jeeo

If there are no keertanis who do keertan out of prem, then why not take the initiative and start doing keertan regularly with prem sharda. Sangat will join on it's own.
Having read all Veer Ji , Bhein Ji, I do opine that there is no alternative to PHYSICAL REAL SANGAT. There is so much of PRAISE attached to Sangat in Gurbani. Real and wonderful transformations are expected to occur in SANGAT. The benefits of SANGAT are also documented in the sayings of social science that "Man is a social animal" and "A man is known by the company he keeps" etc etc. So, the spirituality or any thing else, is so easily and effortlessly, harvested as fruit in the close company of Gursikhs.

BUT

We do not get it always. We have to have periods of solitary confinements. May be, those times are real challenges for us. We are supposed to live with those. That is part of our destiny.

Here comes the role of ARDAAS.

Ardass for Sangat as well as for power to Live with No Sangat Situation.

How Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji manages to live in jails, for so many years, we know that. Was not he blessed enough? And when we read all those accounts in Jail Chithian, we find him happy there.

Are not those periods of physically NO SANGAT, much better than the IMPRISONMENTS and TORTURES, sikhs of our ancestry, had to live with.

And more recently also, many of the SINGHS and SINGHNIS had to live in jails. They are still there. Many of them exiled from their families.

By the way, also think of the non sikh worldly people all around us; who are living life of isolation in their homes or without homes; because their children and spouces have deserted them. And they have no GURBANI with them. No Guru to be ANG SANG.

Life is never so easy.

MORAL: Work hard and be happy, whereever you are. BHANA MITHA KAR KE MANNO JI and sing loudly the SHABAD.

GUR MERE SANG SADA HAI NAALE. SIMR SIMR TIS SADA SAMALE.
When I was first learning about Sikhi I did not have much sangat for this reason I was not making much progress. But as soon as I started getting sangat with Guru Sahibs kirpa I was making big strives in Sikhi . I remember first going to a Sikh camp in the UK, which was a big push in my Sikhi. Then I lived with Gursikhs for two years and this was also a big push. Its very helpful to live with like minded people who share the same beliefs.

After awhile I moved away from sangat, and I was afraid this was going to effect my Sikhi. But I dont think this has been the case. If anything I have become much more stronger in my Sikhi living with non-Sikhs. Their jeevan ( non-Gursikhs) scare me so much that I do everything possible not to get away from Sikhi,lol. In a way it has been a blessing in disguise. Guru Sahib always does whats best for his Sikhs. Even though I have become stronger in my Sikhi through isolation I have still has plans to move again next to sangat in the near future.

No way would I ever suggest to live a life without sangat. A Gursikh can go nowhere in life without serving the panth ( Sadh Sangat). What Im saying is if for whatever reasons somone is temporarily in a situation where they have no sangat they should not let it bring them down. Sikhi is not an elitist religion. Sangat is for everyone, but one must make the effort to meet sangat. Anybody can have sangat if they make an effort. For example if someone really wants sangat then they could move and live in a Gurdwara and do seva all day. For this reason its not good to think your extra special if you have sangat. Sangat is open for everyone but only rare people make efforts to get true Sadh Sangat.

I also have another question about Sadh Sangat. I came across a pangti once I cant remember the exact pantgti but Guru Sahib mentiond the words meet ( mil) and Vadhbagh ( great fortune). I was wondering does one meet Sangat through good fortune or does when get good fortune by meeting sangat? I like to think its a mixture of both but I dont know the answer to this. Can someone provide some Gurbani Tuk that mentions VadBhaghee and Sadh Sangat?

I also have another question about Sadh Sangat. I came across a pangti once I cant remember the exact pantgti but Guru Sahib mentiond the words meet ( mil) and Vadhbagh ( great fortune). I was wondering does one meet Sangat through good fortune or does when get good fortune by meeting sangat? I like to think its a mixture of both but I dont know the answer to this. Can someone provide some Gurbani Tuk that mentions VadBhaghee and Sadh Sangat?

ਬਿਨੁ ਭਾਗਾ ਸਤਸੰਗੁ ਨ ਲਭੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਮੈਲੁ ਭਰੀਜੈ ਜੀਉ ॥3॥

Kulbir Singh
BHai Kulbir Singh jeo,
The same pangti also crossed Chatrik's mind yesterday when reflecting on this matter of not having sangat.

But, another question arose.
What Karma should we all do to create such ' ਭਾਗ ' then? (besides ardass to beg for His Keerpa)
What seeds do we plant in the fields of our Karma so that the desired fruits are obtained?

Chota veer
Waheguru Ji ka khalsa, Waheguru Ji ki Fateh,

As everyone suggested that physical presence in sangat is very important to advance in spirituality, However if for the reason of kirat (living) or studying we have to live at some places where sangat in physical is not possible then but one should do in that situation? This question always remains on top of the mind whoever went to that situation. Daas also had same question in past 2 decades when for above two reasons I had to get separated from the sangat I lived with from my childhood. With Guru Sahib’s mercy those situations were overcame once I hold following hukam of Guru Sahib:

ਜਹ ਜਾਈਐ ਤਹਾ ਸੁਹੇਲੇ ॥
ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਮੇਲੇ ॥੧॥
ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵਹੁ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਭਾਈ ॥
ਮਨ ਚਿੰਦੇ ਸਗਲੇ ਫਲ ਪਾਵਹੁ ਜੀਅ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਹਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
(Panna 623)

Where-so-ever I go, I am happy there. By His mercy, Waheguru has united me with Himself. With superb faith always sing Waheguru Jee’s praise. Thou shalt attain all desired boons and the He shall become the Comrade and Helper of the living being.

Daas kept the above faith when went to studying at far distances. I must say Guru Sahib full filled daas’s desire of Sangat at fullest. One thing one must do is the ‘Ardaas’ considering Guru Sahib Hazar- Nazar where ever we stay. I would like to share in very short about this mystic experience when Daas was studying for graduation degree in central India far away from my home. I got admission in the college which was situated in a city where there was no way one can find the Sangat of Gurmukhs but daas kept above Gurbani Tuks in my heart that Guru Sahib will fulfill this desire of mine. Guess what! during my stay Guru Sahib came to college on Gurpurab of Sri Guru Nanak Dev jee. This was the first visit of Guru Sahib to this area and college campus. We had huge gathering, Keertan and Langer. Majority of students were non Sikhs but all enjoyed this day including the teaching staff. After this program every one was very surprised that how this became possible. Also experienced the similar instances where I live now. Since that day daas holds this faith no matter where we live Guru Sahib full fills one’s wish of Sangat as long as we have Bharosa and desperate for this desire.

With Regards,
Daas
MB Singh ji,
While dass is agreeable to what you replied to a certain extent.But one cannot understand something until they are in the same shoes or have gone through the same situations or are longing for it.

1 thing that dass forgot to mention in his initial post was that. To escape Maya, one needs sadh/sat-sangat /company of the holy.Personally, know many have fallen in their Gursikhi.(though, to certain extent the 'realization' of Sat in them was not there too)
Those who try to do bhagti in their Jivans will know exactly what dass is trying to say here.

The whole point of finding Sangat(Jyot vigasis/ spiritually charged sadhsangat) in Chatriks understanding is doing sangat of Naam, in no way it is "social" thingy as you have assumed.
The reason dass posted the initial post was that. SatGurroo is Poora, then He will also have a Poora e-laaj(cure/solution) for everything.

MB Singh
How Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji manages to live in jails, for so many years, we know that. Was not he blessed enough? And when we read all those accounts in Jail Chithian, we find him happy there.
From the past dass has learned its not wise to compare and imitate oneself with Sachiar Gurmukhs.
Bhai Randhir Singh ji was in constant Ajaapa-Jaap. Its foolish to compare ones self to an 8 phehri Naam Abhiyaasi Gurmukh/Jyot Vigaasi.Since you have quoted BHai Sahib's autobiography , maya had an effect on Him in jail too. He virtually spent the whole night in tears in being separated from Amrit Naam. And this was just 1 night! Even that 1 night was the longest night of his 16 years in jail.
(Read chapter 14, Sona Benaoun Di Ajeeb Katha)

how are we in any way comparison to Bhai Sahib?

In Rangley Sajjan, when Bhai Basant Singh was to be seperayed from the Holy Ones:
Rangley Sajjan
One day the entire family prayed to the entire Sangat tearfully, that Bhai Basant Singh might be directed to stay with them at their village Sekhwan. Their emotional attachment to him badly required his presence amongst them. They accepted his break with business activities to engage in divine devoution as a full-time occupation. His very sight was their life-support and not only the family but also many others around would benefit from his religious pourings. This would also give rise to Akhand Kirtan Samagams in the village. This was a genuine and very moving supplication.

The pure Gurmat-Oriented request was accepted and Vir Basant Singh directed to live with his family. He was thus bound to comply with the direction and left with his family. In leaving he started walking backward for as long as could see us with his fixed gaze towards us. His companions were supporting him from behind, as if this love-intoxicated being was getting torn away much against his wishes
its hard to put into words, but those who know will know why Bhai Basant Singh jeee went back in such way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dhanvaad Bhai Jasjit Singh jeosmiling smiley

Chota veer
Agree with u, Chatrik Veer Ji, in all aspects.

Please, take it sure, I am in the same shoes as u. I am also looking for the Sangat, you have defined in your post, for the same reasons. sad smiley

The literature and life, created and lived, by Gursikhs is a source of inspiration for all of us. We may not be like them. Yet we get inspiration from our ancestors.
bumb

sigh!

Chota veer
hir nwmu hmwrI sMgiq Aiq ipAwrI hir nwmu kulu hir nwmu prvwrw ]
har naam hamaaree sa(n)gath ath piaaree har naam kul har naam paravaaraa ||
The Lord's Name is my most beloved society, the Lord's Name is my ancestry, and the Lord's Name is my family.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login